PDA

View Full Version : How do we match up against OR State?

FlabLoser
06-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I know little about them except some hearsay that they have not 1 but 3 dominant starting pitchers.

Our pitching depth is a big big plus for going deep in a tournament. But that won't matter if you can't win a game or two.

SaltyDawg
06-11-2013, 09:02 AM
All I know is they brought their #1 guy in last night to close out the game after throwing over 120 pitches on Sat.- I'm assuming they don't have much of a pen if that's the case.

I seen it dawg
06-11-2013, 09:30 AM
We are ****ing good. I'm not worried about who we play and what people think they have. We play like we did this weekend we will run very deep and maybe win the whole thing. We have some swagger now.

Will James
06-11-2013, 09:36 AM
In a one game setting in baseball you can pretty much dismiss how teams match up. At this point it's all about execution.

Goat Holder
06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Doesn't matter. Every team is lights out up there. Play to win the game in front of you. You throw Graveman and just play ball.

SaltyDawg
06-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Doesn't matter. Every team is lights out up there. Play to win the game in front of you. You throw Graveman and just play ball.

No shit. But it still wouldn't hurt to know a little about their team- hell, at least the guy who they will start.

Goat Holder
06-11-2013, 10:33 AM
But it still wouldn't hurt to know a little about their team

They are the #3 national seed with a penchant for winning in the postseason. Pretty much all you need to know as fans.

SaltyDawg
06-11-2013, 10:36 AM
They are the #3 national seed with a penchant for winning in the postseason. Pretty much all you need to know as fans.

Yeah, cause ya know this isn't a message board or anyting. No point in discussing the team we're playing in the CWS. They are the #3 national seed- that's all anyone here should care to know.

Spider-Man
06-11-2013, 11:02 AM
They don't appear to have a very strong bullpen. The key will be getting there. They have excellent starting pitching.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Actually they have a pretty stout bullpen. Aaron Fitt was talking about how crazy Oregon State was to bring in a starting pitcher last nit in relief, when they have such a great pen. They have a couple of relievers with sub 2.00 ERA's...One from the left side and one from the right side.

Don't be surprised if we see their freshman sensation on the hill against us. Since their Ace started Game 1 AND relieved in Game 3, I am expecting them to start the freshman and then start the Ace in Game 2...but I may be wrong.

Andrew Moore is their Freshamn RHP that is 14-1 with a 1.36 ERA. That is damn stout for a Freshman.

Here is a link to some info I posted about Oregon State on SPS last night. Check it out or cut and paste it into this thread if you'd like....

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?108851-Here-s-an-early-preview-of-Oregon-State-s-lineup-and-pitching

PMDawg
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Actually they have a pretty stout bullpen. Aaron Fitt was talking about how crazy Oregon State was to bring in a starting pitcher last nit in relief, when they have such a great pen. They have a couple of relievers with sub 2.00 ERA's...One from the left side and one from the right side.

Don't be surprised if we see their freshman sensation on the hill against us. Since their Ace started Game 1 AND relieved in Game 3, I am expecting them to start the freshman and then start the Ace in Game 2...but I may be wrong.

Andrew Moore is their Freshamn RHP that is 14-1 with a 1.36 ERA. That is damn stout for a Freshman.

Here is a link to some info I posted about Oregon State on SPS last night. Check it out or cut and paste it into this thread if you'd like....

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?108851-Here-s-an-early-preview-of-Oregon-State-s-lineup-and-pitching

why are you posting useless stats like "Wins & Losses" and "ERA"? What's his FIP, SIERRA, and WHIP? c'mon, I expect better!

before anybody jumps my stuff, let me add: ************************************************** ******

Will James
06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
The guy we want to see is definitely Wetzler.

I'd rather face the 14-1 freshman than Boyd, based on sabermetric and non-saber stats. Boyd strikes mf's out.

It will probably be between Boyd (10-3) and Moore (14-1). I'll take Moore.

maroonmania
06-11-2013, 03:16 PM
I know little about them except some hearsay that they have not 1 but 3 dominant starting pitchers.

Our pitching depth is a big big plus for going deep in a tournament. But that won't matter if you can't win a game or two.

Here is my thought, right now we have one reasonably reliable starting pitcher in Graveman. Given that, I am good with playing the best team in our 4 team bracket first while Kendall is available and I'm assuming, based on seeding, that OSU would be considered the best team in our bracket.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
The OSU board seems to think we will see Moore since he will have the most rest. I like that he is a RHP, but he is a damn good RHP. Much like Virginia's Game 1 starter though, he is a freshman and I like that.

Something tells me that Casey will not be dumb and risk starting a Freshman in Game 1 of the CWS...so my bet is on Boyd. But we'll see.

Will James
06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
The OSU board seems to think we will see Moore since he will have the most rest. I like that he is a RHP, but he is a damn good RHP. Much like Virginia's Game 1 starter though, he is a freshman and I like that.

Something tells me that Casey will not be dumb and risk starting a Freshman in Game 1 of the CWS...so my bet is on Boyd. But we'll see.

Id lick my chops at a Graveman-Moore matchup. SR v FR.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Id lick my chops at a Graveman-Moore matchup. SR v FR.

I agree.

Silverstein was 10-1 when we faced him, so nobody needs to let records worry you. The PAC12 is not very deep, so their pitcher's W/L numbers are far more inflated than even Virginia's were. The strikeouts are the biggest concern...if we can just put the ball in play and put pressure on them, we can win. Need to get an early lead and apply pressure so they are overly aggressive against Graveman and rolling over top of that sinker.

Will James
06-12-2013, 01:04 AM
I agree.

Silverstein was 10-1 when we faced him, so nobody needs to let records worry you. The PAC12 is not very deep, so their pitcher's W/L numbers are far more inflated than even Virginia's were. The strikeouts are the biggest concern...if we can just put the ball in play and put pressure on them, we can win. Need to get an early lead and apply pressure so they are overly aggressive against Graveman and rolling over top of that sinker.

So the Beaver on the other board thinks its between Weltzer and Moore with an edge to Weltzer. I'll take that all day every day. avoiding Boyd would be huge especially if they have to use him Game 2.

sandwolf
06-12-2013, 02:14 AM
So the Beaver on the other board thinks its between Weltzer and Moore with an edge to Weltzer. I'll take that all day every day. avoiding Boyd would be huge especially if they have to use him Game 2.

Isn't Weltzer the guy that threw 135 pitches on Monday night against Kansas State? Is 4 1/2 days enough of a rest after throwing that many pitches?

CadaverDawg
06-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Isn't Weltzer the guy that threw 135 pitches on Monday night against Kansas State? Is 4 1/2 days enough of a rest after throwing that many pitches?

I don't think that Beaver knows what he is talking about. I am feeling pretty sure that we will see Moore or Boyd.