PDA

View Full Version : John Holland - baseball

MsStateBaseball
10-31-2014, 10:02 PM
He is leading the team w a .480 batting average. Gavin is 2nd w .417. I am telling you Holland will be all sec. He was a great pick up. He is a 5 star recruit.

Bob Sacamano
10-31-2014, 10:23 PM
What's going to happen up the middle? Holland-SS and 2B?

engie
10-31-2014, 10:26 PM
He is leading the team w a .480 batting average. Gavin is 2nd w .417. I am telling you Holland will be all sec. He was a great pick up. He is a 5 star recruit.

Yep

War Machine Dawg
10-31-2014, 10:42 PM

I think everyone on the planet who follows MSU baseball would be shocked if Holland & Heck aren't the starters at SS & 2B, respectively. That said, you can never predict what The Tinkerer will do. He's trying Britton at 2B this fall after he looked like an All-American at 3B. I doubt it goes anywhere, but for some reason Cohen seems obsessed with the idea of Britton up the middle defensively. He's the new Sam Frost, except Britton is actually a defensive badass at 3B and decent with the bat.

Todd4State
10-31-2014, 11:07 PM
I think everyone on the planet who follows MSU baseball would be shocked if Holland & Heck aren't the starters at SS & 2B, respectively. That said, you can never predict what The Tinkerer will do. He's trying Britton at 2B this fall after he looked like an All-American at 3B. I doubt it goes anywhere, but for some reason Cohen seems obsessed with the idea of Britton up the middle defensively. He's the new Sam Frost, except Britton is actually a defensive badass at 3B and decent with the bat.

Britton played a lot of second base in the Cape. I think some of it is the scouts want to see Britton at second and fall practice is a great time to do that. And some of it as I said is Luke Reynolds. Reynolds does not have Britton's arm strength, but it's possible that he may be a better all around player than Britton. I would be willing to trade Britton's arm strength for 50-75 points of batting average and 4-5 more home runs and slightly less defense.

We'll see how it all shakes out once the season starts and see how Reynolds handles college pitching in a live game situation.

Todd4State
10-31-2014, 11:09 PM

Probably. And if Holland has better range than Heck at SS, it will allow us to use a guy like Reynolds who has a better bat and maybe slightly less range than Britton.

Goat Holder
11-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Britton played a lot of second base in the Cape. I think some of it is the scouts want to see Britton at second and fall practice is a great time to do that. And some of it as I said is Luke Reynolds. Reynolds does not have Britton's arm strength, but it's possible that he may be a better all around player than Britton. I would be willing to trade Britton's arm strength for 50-75 points of batting average and 4-5 more home runs and slightly less defense.

We'll see how it all shakes out once the season starts and see how Reynolds handles college pitching in a live game situation.

^^ This. I don't always agree with T4S but this is also what I've heard/seen.

CadaverDawg
11-01-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm probably not the only one that is thrilled to see Holland's numbers so far. That guy carries a lot of expectations into this season whether he knows it or not from our fans. If we're going to compete for the Title, we will need him to be the guy everyone expects him to be. Those numbers are a great start.

Are we any closer to getting an idea of how our outfield will look? Is Humphreys going to DH or play out there? I find it hard to believe that Cohen won't have Vickerson and Cody brown in the lineup most games, so unless one of those guys plays CF, Hump may be the odd man out unless we face a lefty. We need his bat in the lineup every game. We have a good problem in terms of depth.

War Machine Dawg
11-01-2014, 10:15 AM

Completely agree with that.

Coach34
11-01-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm really having a hard time believing Reynolds has a better glove than Britton

Jacksondevildog
11-01-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm really having a hard time believing Reynolds has a better glove than Britton

I agree with this.

CadaverDawg
11-01-2014, 11:18 AM

No chance. Better bat? Maybe, but Britton looked good late. I would be stunned if Britton isn't an everyday starter at 3rd all season

Todd4State
11-01-2014, 11:34 AM

He doesn't. But he may be the better all around player. The biggest question is if he can adjust to college pitching or is he a Fall American? If he can't adjust to D-I pitching, we have Britton who is a proven commodity. It's a pretty good situation.

Todd4State
11-01-2014, 11:36 AM
No chance. Better bat? Maybe, but Britton looked good late. I would be stunned if Britton isn't an everyday starter at 3rd all season

This will sound crazy, but if Britton is better than Heck at the plate and can handle second base better defensively than he has in the past, we might see Britton and Holland starting in the middle infield. That said, I still think it will be Heck and Holland up the middle.

MsStateBaseball
11-01-2014, 11:57 AM
The indications are Hump in left, Robson in center, Brown in right. Michael Smith will get better offensively. He will definitely come in for defense when needed. Right now the DH could be Vick, Rooker, Reynolds or Gordon. Swinarski is still injured so don't leave him out, he could be a factor in spring.

I think Holland is definite starter at SS. I think 2B and 3B are still undecided. I see Heck at 2B most time SS some. Britton and Reynolds will share 3B. Britton is being pushed and that may propel him to much better play all around. Remember Cohen wants to push players to their limit to get high results. Competition.

Todd4State
11-01-2014, 12:39 PM
The indications are Hump in left, Robson in center, Brown in right. Michael Smith will get better offensively. He will definitely come in for defense when needed. Right now the DH could be Vick, Rooker, Reynolds or Gordon. Swinarski is still injured so don't leave him out, he could be a factor in spring.

I think Holland is definite starter at SS. I think 2B and 3B are still undecided. I see Heck at 2B most time SS some. Britton and Reynolds will share 3B. Britton is being pushed and that may propel him to much better play all around. Remember Cohen wants to push players to their limit to get high results. Competition.

I like Rooker better in LF because he is faster than Humphreys and our OF is bigger in LF than most stadiums. And I would put Humphreys in RF.

Michael Smith can also play second base as well.

Goat Holder
11-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Yes he does. Reynolds has been better in every way except arm strength. Again this is just fall, and Britton has been hurt.

Homedawg
11-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Britton just had surgery as well.