PDA

View Full Version : Mullen' greatest asset

msstate7
10-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Which one coach besides Mullen has had the most to do with our great run this year? Which coach is the most irreplaceable?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2014, 12:37 PM
I know everyone is going to say Collins & he does a great job. But listening to everyone before the season talk about how poorly we've recruited on the OL & how bad to mediocre our OL would be I'd have to say Hevesy considering he must be a magician to turn these nobodies into the most potent offense in the SEC.

MSUDawg4Life
10-31-2014, 12:40 PM
I'd have to say Hevesy too. Having the OL ready and playing well has been a huge accomplishment and critical to our success.

SDDawg
10-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Hevesy and Collins are close for me, but I'm going with Collins based on the identity of this defense and what emerged late last year when it would have been easy for our guys to give up.

Political Hack
10-31-2014, 12:43 PM
Coach Court, and it ain't even close.

SDDawg
10-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Hack- not arguing, but would love for you to elaborate. What is it about Court and what he's done that you think makes the difference? I'll hang up and listen... ***

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2014, 12:49 PM
I think Tony Hughes is fairly responsible as well. We accumulated a lot of good players that didn't just find themselves

msstate7
10-31-2014, 12:50 PM
I think Collins has been instrumental bringing swag back to miss state.

Hev is hard to argue with. He just keeps producing. I really hope the answer is hev bc I think he's easier to keep on staff

missouridawg
10-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Hack- not arguing, but would love for you to elaborate. What is it about Court and what he's done that you think makes the difference? I'll hang up and listen... ***

I'm no expert on the inner workings of our S&C program, but I remember someone stating that we didn't have 1 cramp during our entire training camp in August. That's an amazing stat.

State82
10-31-2014, 12:54 PM
That's a really tough question to answer. They are all instrumental in our present situation. Don't want to have to replace any of them, obviously, just for the sake of stability. I'm still gonna say Collins though.

Goat Holder
10-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Tony Hughes, without him we ain't shit

Mjoelner34
10-31-2014, 01:23 PM
David Turner.

shrimp
10-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Hevesy

LeakyD
10-31-2014, 01:47 PM
What's great is you can make an argument for any of them including Gonzales and Knox. Whether it's recruiting or elevating the performance of the position they coach, we've never been better as a staff.

starkvegasdawg
10-31-2014, 02:07 PM
Not a coach but I'm saying Megan. If she was not happy here then he would have taken one of those offers a few years back and who knows where we would be today.

Political Hack
10-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Court has taken our S&C program to a new level. All the guys put on good weight while increasing their speed and stamina this year. We're fresh in the 4th. we don't give up end of half and game points this season (same DC, different S&C). And the "swag" people are talking about starts in the offseason when Court is really the only coach in contact with the team. People forget he's the "head coach" for a lot of the year.

Also, and I'm hesitant to say this and jinx us, but the lack of injuries this year says something about how well our guys were trained during the offseason.

Mullen himself will tell you the S&C coach is his most valuable coach.

MSUDawg4Life
10-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Not a coach but I'm saying Megan. If she was not happy here then he would have taken one of those offers a few years back and who knows where we would be today.

^^^Other than a coach, this. She's easily his greatest asset.

maroonmania
10-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Court has taken our S&C program to a new level. All the guys put on good weight while increasing their speed and stamina this year. We're fresh in the 4th. we don't give up end of half and game points this season (same DC, different S&C). And the "swag" people are talking about starts in the offseason when Court is really the only coach in contact with the team. People forget he's the "head coach" for a lot of the year.

Also, and I'm hesitant to say this and jinx us, but the lack of injuries this year says something about how well our guys were trained during the offseason.

Mullen himself will tell you the S&C coach is his most valuable coach.

So apparently you can be even better than "Balis-made".

Political Hack
10-31-2014, 02:50 PM
So apparently you can be even better than "Balis-made".

the players think they're in the best shape of their lives, based on what I've been told.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-31-2014, 03:12 PM
Not the most important coach by any means, but I am very pleased with Brian Johnson being on the staff. I don't think Dak would have improved as much as he has from last season without Johnson's help. Johnson seems like a guy who has that swagger and winner's edge to him, and it carries over to Dak.

msstatelp1
10-31-2014, 03:38 PM
beat me to it. The players feel they can talk to her and will probably bring things up that they don't want to discuss with Dan or the other players.

LC Dawg
10-31-2014, 04:02 PM
I think the fact that Tony Hughes (along with Hudspeth and Melvin Smith) helped Mullen build relationships with high school programs in the state is huge.

Coach 57
10-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Guys it's really a no brainer. It's a 2 way tie. Before I tell you 1 thing has changed from last year and even before with the exception of this year. And it's been PRESSURE! We (last time I checked) lead the SEC in sacks. We get not only get pressure but our front 4 are pretty good at stopping the run. It's Coach Turner (1a). The technique these guys are displaying is far better. They are using their hands better. I like my guys to learn the basics of a Japanese martial art called Aikido. Just the basics to learn how to manipulate another's body by controlling center mass and doing so with the use of their hands, feet & hips. It's always been known that the difference between an good college DLmen & an NFL DLmen is how they use their hands, hips and feet. Turner has cracked the code with some of these guys. The light bulb has gone off for guys like Eulls (his 2nd DL coach & 3rd DC), Preston, Brown & even younger guys like Nelson, AJ & others. He's been a great addition to the staff and his ability will either show itself in stats (like mentioned above) or it won't and it's clearly evident.

(1b) I looked and NOBODY has mentioned Knox. Why? His backs have CARRIED us in spots. Whether it was changing Dixon. Turning Ballard into an every down back. Perkins and now with JRob the guy is one HECK of a coach. Dan's offense NEEDS physical backs. And I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret Aeris Williams is going to be THE GUY. Greg's a wonderful position coach that always gets overlooked. Hammer away

Treemydawg
10-31-2014, 05:28 PM
Not the most important coach by any means, but I am very pleased with Brian Johnson being on the staff. I don't think Dak would have improved as much as he has from last season without Johnson's help. Johnson seems like a guy who has that swagger and winner's edge to him, and it carries over to Dak.

^^^^this times a million. I believe Johnson has been very instrumental in Daks improvement .

Dawgcentral
10-31-2014, 06:18 PM
Sometimes it takes a certain blend/chemistry. I have no knowledge of the true inner workings with the staff, but I've had crews in the past working for me. And sometimes things just click. Everyone gets on the same page and it becomes fun to put forth effort and take pleasure in accomplishments. Other employers here probably understand what I'm saying. You get the right combination and co-workers naturally perform well together. It's rare, but it happens.

JDog13
10-31-2014, 07:16 PM
Larry Templeton. If he would not have ran us into the ground, the change would have never happened.

sleepy dawg
10-31-2014, 07:42 PM
So the general consensus is we have a pretty good coaching staff.