PDA

View Full Version : Being #1 in GA/FL Territory

BrunswickDawg
10-30-2014, 03:58 PM
So this is GA/FL week here in Coastal Georgia. The island I work on hosts a huge golf tournament with 550+ golfers for a 2 day scramble. Since the agency I work for runs it, I get to play (perks of upper management). I always wear State gear, and normally get a few "wow, a State fan? Y'all might get there someday" from all the guys covered in red and from the guys in jorts. So today was somewhat surreal - I have never had so many people stop me to talk about State. Let me tell, you - the UGA folks are scared to death of seeing us in Atlanta. They think we match up well, and may be the only team that can disrupt their ground game enough that they have to throw - and none of them want Hutson Mason throwing the ball. And they don't think they can contain our O. It's got me feeling pretty salty. Only down side was my team had no short game today. Beer probably had something to do with it. If I am on tomorrow, the Cowbell may come out!

Harrydawg
10-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Great post! I love stuff like this! I have a nephew in Powder Springs, GA who has become a huge Dawg fan over the years and has never seen the Dawgs loose (in person) and he proudly wears his MSU gear to school! Needless to say, he has really enjoyed this season!

Wear it, wear it proud!

Gen. Grant
10-30-2014, 08:07 PM
A friend wen to Vegas and got in a very exclusive place because the manager saw him with a State shirt on. The manager was a State grad.

smootness
10-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Great post! I love stuff like this! I have a nephew in Powder Springs, GA who has become a huge Dawg fan over the years and has never seen the Dawgs loose (in person) and he proudly wears his MSU gear to school! Needless to say, he has really enjoyed this season!

Wear it, wear it proud!

What school does he go to? I'm here in Powder Springs as well. And yes, it has been phenomenal.

Harrydawg
10-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Mount Paran.... private.....

Kid was beside me when Pegues returned the punt against UM.....he's been hooked ever since!

smootness
10-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Ah yes. I know quite a few who went to Mt. Paran. Small world.

It definitely does not feel the same being a State fan these days. It's almost as though it's too easy, as though I've learned through experience that the only true way to be a fan is by sticking with them in the terrible times. Being a fan while everything is great almost feels cheap.

But I'll take cheap!

TXDawg
10-30-2014, 09:49 PM
My son was born in 2004 and really started taking interest in 2010. We hit a rough patch before this season started because we live in Houston and he's been feeling a lot of peer pressure to be an Aggie fan. We had a talk in early September about sticking with your team no matter what. He wore a State shirt to school the next morning and has continued to do so at least 2 days a week since.

It's really amazing when I look at the three generations of State fans in my family (my dad graduated from State in '68). My dad is predictinging the collapse every week. I'm cautiously optimistic - I think we have a shot, but I know the road will be tough. My son thinks we're the best team that's ever played the game and we've already won it.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2014, 06:26 AM
Know what you mean TXDawg.
I ran into 2 local State guys yesterday who graduated in the 60. The way they talked, they were just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was cautiously optimistic until AU - but I'm drinking 15-0 flavored kool-aid now. My 13 year old has been just like your kid - it's fun to watch!

Mutt the Hoople
10-31-2014, 09:19 PM
Out here in Texas, I wear my Mississippi State hat all around. Everybody has been complimentary. Only hiccup- a friend at church thought I'd be upset because we lost to LSU last Saturday night.:mad: