PDA

View Full Version : Did the new Playoff Top 25 just render the AP and Coaches poll meaningless?

MadDawg
10-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Will they even survive?

Political Hack
10-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Depends on whether the TV stations start listing the numbers besides the teams as the Playoff poll, AP poll or coaches poll. If they start using the playoff poll, the others are irrelevant outside of maybe bowl bids, but even that comes down to conference agreements.

Yep.. they're pretty much useless at this point.

DistrictDawg92
10-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Imagine if they did completely do away with all other polls, and everyone went through the first 9 weeks unranked. Would make their first ranking release very interesting each year. There is really no reason for a ranking until about week 9 anyway.

sandwolf
10-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Depends on whether the TV stations start listing the numbers besides the teams as the Playoff poll, AP poll or coaches poll. If they start using the playoff poll, the others are irrelevant outside of maybe bowl bids, but even that comes down to conference agreements.

Yep.. they're pretty much useless at this point.

I was watching the replay of our game last night on CBS Sports, and the ticker at the bottom of the screen showed #3 Auburn at #4 Ole Miss for this Saturday.....so based on that, it looks like they are using the playoff rankings.

MadDawg
10-30-2014, 11:27 AM
I was watching the replay of our game last night on CBS Sports, and the ticker at the bottom of the screen showed #3 Auburn at #4 Ole Miss for this Saturday.....so based on that, it looks like they are using the playoff rankings.

That's what I've seen as well. And on the local channels as well. It's like the AP and Coaches Poll don't exist anymore.

Johnson85
10-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Will they even survive?

They will survive as long as they are the only alternative for the first 8 weeks of the season. But they are definitely going to be hurt by the playoff rankings. It'd be better for them if the playoff rankings came out a week later and only included the top 8 or 10 teams.

FlabLoser
10-30-2014, 11:44 AM
The Score app is using playoff poll rankings next to schedule listings.

mstatefan91
10-30-2014, 11:58 AM
The AP poll and Coach's poll have been irrelevant since the BCS was formed. They're really just a measuring stick until the real poll is released.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2014, 12:09 PM
They will survive as long as they are the only alternative for the first 8 weeks of the season. But they are definitely going to be hurt by the playoff rankings. It'd be better for them if the playoff rankings came out a week later and only included the top 8 or 10 teams.

Agree with this. The polls could also survive if the pollsters would adjust their way of thinking and begin voting like the playoff committee.

That mean, ranking teams on resume and body of work, forgetting about traditional powers, and getting rid of the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

The playoff committee made the polls look fairly foolish.

FlabLoser
10-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Agree with this. The polls could also survive if the pollsters would adjust their way of thinking and begin voting like the playoff committee.

That mean, ranking teams on resume and body of work, forgetting about traditional powers, and getting rid of the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

The playoff committee made the polls look fairly foolish.

Agree. The playoff poll looks well thought out. Quality wins matter, quality losses matter, bad losses matter. Its not just look at the previous week and adjust for recent losses.

And the poll was done by people who take their responsibility seriously. It isn't the sum total of what guys did between newspaper deadlines. Neither is it weighted by people who didn't notice team X beat team Y.

And BTW, bang up job you elitedawgs that lobbied AP voters who obviously failed to notice our win over LSU. That bought us a few spots during our bye week and added to our momentum. You guys made a difference.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Not only will they survive but I think if the AP feels that the committee got it wrong they will name their own National Champion.

mstatefan91
10-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Not only will they survive but I think if the AP feels that the committee got it wrong they will name their own National Champion.

Now that could get interesting

maroonmania
10-30-2014, 01:05 PM
I really didn't realize until this season was underway that the committee was going to have these weekly polls starting midseason. I had just assumed they would work similarly to the NCAA basketball committee and just gather at the end of the year and make the decision once all the information for the season was in. Guess there is too much money involved not to get the ratings grab that the weekly poll provides especially since fans were already used to getting BCS rankings during the season.

codeDawg
10-30-2014, 01:15 PM

While nothing could stop them, it would be hard to do when you take the top 4 and put them head to head. The AP would have to either say, no the real champion was the team that the committee had at #5 and didn't get to play in the playoff. That or say a team that got beat in a semi-final was actually better than the team they lost to.

mstatefan91
10-30-2014, 01:33 PM
While nothing could stop them, it would be hard to do when you take the top 4 and put them head to head. The AP would have to either say, no the real champion was the team that the committee had at #5 and didn't get to play in the playoff. That or say a team that got beat in a semi-final was actually better than the team they lost to.

Yeah I think it would be more likely that you have something like an 11-1 ND not get in and the AP crowns them

FlabLoser
10-30-2014, 01:40 PM

So basically you'd end up with an Ole Miss situation where a school claims a title that few other folks would recognize.

BulldogBear
10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
I still say just use the poll and don't release playoff till the end.