PDA

View Full Version : Let's say you've got a plumbing break under your house...

FlabLoser
10-30-2014, 09:55 AM
A drain pipe. No telling how long its been there. Didn't know about it until roots grew in and clogged it up. Plumber got the roots out. The break underneath the living room somewhere is still there.

What would you do...

Political Hack
10-30-2014, 10:43 AM
cry.

Martianlander
10-30-2014, 11:51 AM
If you are on a foundation you are probably going to have to dig it up and put in a new pipe. If you are on a slab-more trouble. You are probably going to have to break it up to get to the pipe and replace it.

FlabLoser
10-30-2014, 01:20 PM
I read more and more that says put root killer down the drain in it and forget it. Kinda makes sense. 90% of the sewage is going to keep going down the pipe, even with break in place.

Would be nice to know if this is a crack or a clean break with inches of separation.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-30-2014, 03:23 PM
We had this problem in a house while i was at State. Whenever you did laundry, water would shoot out the kitchen sink.

Political Hack
10-30-2014, 04:43 PM
I don't see anyway around fixing it at some point...

State82
10-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Flab, if you are in an area with expansive soils it needs to be fixed. That kind of thing can play havoc with a slab-on-grade foundation in active soils. The larger plumbing contractors have camera equipment that can be routed through the lines and pinpoint the break location and its severity. I would start with that.

basedog
10-30-2014, 05:57 PM
It can be fixed, not sure where you live but now Plumbers have equipment to run a "snake line with a camera" into your water line and see where the crack is. I had a leak in one of my bathrooms that had a separated and they fixed it, it was amazing, they pour some mud chemical thingy that acts like a sleeve when it hardens and then they drilled it out with another snake like thing and problem solved.

Damn just to hard to describe and sorry for the confusion, but it worked for my problem. Reece Plumbing in Jackson area, I'm sure there are other plumbing companies. This was about 5 years ago and they gave me a 25 or 40 year warranty!

FlabLoser
10-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks!

Political Hack
10-31-2014, 07:59 AM
It can be fixed, not sure where you live but now Plumbers have equipment to run a "snake line with a camera" into your water line and see where the crack is. I had a leak in one of my bathrooms that had a separated and they fixed it, it was amazing, they pour some mud chemical thingy that acts like a sleeve when it hardens and then they drilled it out with another snake like thing and problem solved.

Damn just to hard to describe and sorry for the confusion, but it worked for my problem. Reece Plumbing in Jackson area, I'm sure there are other plumbing companies. This was about 5 years ago and they gave me a 25 or 40 year warranty!

that's pretty amazing.