PDA

View Full Version : SI column about

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Angelo Mirando. Looks like he's picked himself up and heading back in the right direction. ​

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/28/college-football-playoff-marcus-mariota-inside-read?page=2&devicetype=default

The biggest Mississippi State fan in Kansas just might be Angelo Mirando. The Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College offensive coordinator was once a young hotshot wide receivers coach for the top-ranked Bulldogs. He still occasionally texts with coach Dan Mullen, his mentor, and defensive coordinator Geoff Collins.

?They?ve really got it rolling,? Mirando said. ?I?m thrilled for them. You knew Dak (Prescott) was going to be a stud when he showed up on campus.?

Mirando last worked in Starkville two years ago after he resigned as Mississippi State?s wide receivers coach just before the 2012 season amidst an NCAA probe. He later admitted he did not report $2,600 worth of impermissible benefits that Bulldogs junior cornerback Will Redmond received as a recruit from a booster.

Mirando was hit with a one-year show-cause penalty, which expired in June. He came with Mullen to Mississippi State in 2009 and was promoted from graduate assistant to wide receivers coach two years later.

?The biggest thing I regret is hurting Dan (Mullen),? Mirando said.

The 28-year-old sat out 2012 and returned the next season as quarterbacks coach at Ave Maria, an NAIA school in Florida. His season at the Catholic university allowed to become more in tune with his faith and gave him time to reflect.

?You stick to the values you were raised with,? Mirando said. ?That means when you?re confronted with something, you don?t try and hide it. You be upfront and honest. If I would have done that from Day One, things would have been different.?

This season is Mirando?s first as a play-caller, but his up-tempo spread attack has been instrumental in Coffeyville?s 7-2 record. It ranks sixth nationally at the junior college level in total offense (530.2 yards per game) and ninth in points scored (46.8 points per game).

Both are tops in the talent-rich Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference. ?I?m a better coach,? Mirando said. ?I?ve had more fun coaching these guys than I have a while. You can try stuff, but in the SEC if it doesn?t work, everyone knows about it. Here, it doesn?t work, you try something else.?

Mirando could be in the mix to return to the FBS as an assistant next season. When he spoke with The Inside Read recently, he had just finished talking with a Power 5 head coach.

?Look, I screwed up,? Mirando said. ?But I?m going to make the most of this second chance. It makes you appreciate things more.?

DownwardDawg
10-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Great for him! Good find.