PDA

View Full Version : My take on Frazier's defense...

LiterallyPolice
06-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I've seen alot of people saying that Frazier's second error last night was from being "lazy" or "showboating". I disagree.... or at least I think that is jumping to conclusions. While it's true his footwork was off when he stepped on second base and made the throw, I don't think that's anything odd for him. On many of his routine throws, he fails to plant his back foot and fire like most fields... and usually he's right on the money.

I think his errors lately have been purely psychological. There is a snowball effect when a normally sound defensive player starts making errors like he has recently. Combine that with big games and big crowds, and he's probably just overthinking a bit. A small case of the yips.

I just wanted to defend him a little. While his errors were egregious, I don't think he's the kind of guy to jeopardize our chances for style points. He's more than likely just in his own head right now.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-03-2013, 09:54 AM
I've seen alot of people saying that Frazier's second error last night was from being "lazy" or "showboating". I disagree.... or at least I think that is jumping to conclusions. While it's true his footwork was off when he stepped on second base and made the throw, I don't think that's anything odd for him. On many of his routine throws, he fails to plant his back foot and fire like most fields... and usually he's right on the money.

I think his errors lately have been purely psychological. There is a snowball effect when a normally sound defensive player starts making errors like he has recently. Combine that with big games and big crowds, and he's probably just overthinking a bit. A small case of the yips.

I just wanted to defend him a little. While his errors were egregious, I don't think he's the kind of guy to jeopardize our chances for style points. He's more than likely just in his own head right now.

The first error was defensible. It would have been a bang bang play if he had made a perfect throw...the UCA guy may have even been safe. So I can understand why he rushed and made a bad throw.

The second one...he had all day. He could have just done an underhand toss to Rea if he wanted to.

hometowndawg
06-03-2013, 10:02 AM

To me it looked like he tried to make the throw on the run. The runner going from first to second was no where even close to the bag so Frazier had plenty of room to step on the bag and keep going. Looks like he just tried to arm the throw out and not really put any so called mustard on it. Hopefully he can get over the head case he is being right now.

Coach34
06-03-2013, 10:02 AM
he was simply being nonchalant and didnt make a good throw on the 2nd one...he's got to play better than that- end of story

AlSwearengen
06-03-2013, 10:14 AM
he was simply being nonchalant and didnt make a good throw on the 2nd one...he's got to play better than that- end of story

Coach is right on. I don't think there is any book of fundamentals out there that would teach a player to throw the ball the way he did. That being said, it is done all the time by a ss in that situation and I have no problem with it. But, the thing that bit Frazier in the ass is that he threw it off of his right foot instead of his left. BIG BIG difference because by leading with his right foot, it caused him to have to throw against his body.

Drugdog
06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
I am sitting straight up from 1st base. I assure you he was show boating the throw.

Sandman14
06-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Showboating.

Drugdog
06-03-2013, 10:40 AM
**** off or ****off.

LiterallyPolice
06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I am sitting straight up from 1st base. I assure you he was show boating the throw.

Ok.... well I saw the play in HD from multiple camera angles, in slow motion, and I could rewind. All from the comfort of my couch. So what's your point?

My point is I certainly don't think he was showboating - he wouldn't do that after he already booted one in that inning. I don't think he was being overly nonchalant - his normal style can be mistaken for nonchalant, and again, I don't think he would give half-effort on such an important play after already making an error.

He over-thought the play because he's been making alot of errors, and his mechanics went haywire.

Regardless of cause, Coach is right - he has to do better.

Drugdog
06-03-2013, 10:47 AM
My point is this: quit showing off and play better. Simple as that.