PDA

View Full Version : Future Schedules - what should we do...

afranzo
10-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Just a thought and for debate.... Do you think State should try to schedule a harder nonconference game in the future, at least one that is a true "big" game, or does the SEC schedule give us enough clout on a normal year... And use the non conference for a rest up week...

afranzo
10-29-2014, 04:40 PM
By hard...I don't mean Oregon, but someone like K-state that has a chance at being decent . Which I believe we play them in a few years already.

codeDawg
10-29-2014, 04:40 PM
I think we are seeing for the playoff, our SEC slate is tough enough.

codeDawg
10-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Also, the SEC is mandating a Power-5 opponent, so we'll automatically get tougher there.

missouridawg
10-29-2014, 04:51 PM
We should try to schedule the easiest power five team that we can. A slate of AU, Bama, LSU, aTm, Arky, and OM is the hardest annual schedule of any team in the country. No need to make it worse.

Kansas, Colorado, Indiana, Syracuse, etc..... Those type of schools is who we should target.

Spider-Man
10-29-2014, 04:58 PM
I agree. We should try to get home-and-home opponents who are at best mid-level in one of the remaining power 5 conferences.

Goat Holder
10-29-2014, 04:59 PM
You realize we already have to do that, starting in 2016? And if you are meaning should we schedule Texas/Florida State/USC instead of K-State/NC State/Iowa State, the answer would be NO.

Don't let one good season influence your rational thinking. Missouridawg said it best.

DistrictDawg92
10-29-2014, 05:08 PM
We should try to schedule the easiest power five team that we can. A slate of AU, Bama, LSU, aTm, Arky, and OM is the hardest annual schedule of any team in the country. No need to make it worse.

Kansas, Colorado, Indiana, Syracuse, etc..... Those type of schools is who we should target.

Agreed. To me it's like a white guy trying to dunk(winning a national championship), it's hard enough just being white(aka a member of the SEC) and just plain stupid to attempt it dunking with ankle weights(top tier OOC P5 team) on.

In all seriousness, this year we are the perfect example why SEC teams, especially SEC West teams, should not try to schedule big time OOC P5 teams. We freaking jumped the reigning National Champions for the #1 spot and they are currently on like a 23 or 24 game winning streak with an OOC win this year against a top 10 team. Who are our OOC teams? USM, UAB, USA and Tenneessee-Martin! Case in point is, if you take care of business in the SEC, the committee will not bat an eye at an terrible OOC schedule whatsoever.

Goat Holder
10-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Agreed. To me it's like a white guy trying to dunk(winning a national championship), it's hard enough just being white(aka a member of the SEC) and just plain stupid to attempt it dunking with ankle weights(top tier OOC P5 team) on.

In all seriousness, this year we are the perfect example why SEC teams, especially SEC West teams, should not try to schedule big time OOC P5 teams. We freaking jumped the reigning National Champions for the #1 spot and they are currently on like a 23 or 24 game winning streak with an OOC win this year against a top 10 team. Who are our OOC teams? USM, UAB, USA and Tenneessee-Martin! Case in point is, if you take care of business in the SEC, the committee will not bat an eye at an terrible OOC schedule whatsoever.

Slippery slope though. If it comes down to a crazy tie at the end, Alabama/Auburn will get preferential treatment because they played P5 opponents. But I definitely agree with you though. We shouldn't even think about another Texas Classic type game until we're 10 years into being an elite power or something, if that ever happens.

ckDOG
10-29-2014, 05:17 PM
We are #1 in all polls with a soft non conference schedule. This is not a debatable topic. Voluntarily making our schedule more difficult would be insane.

msstate7
10-29-2014, 05:22 PM
I think we should try and get Notre dame to a home and home while we're getting all the national exposure

Spider-Man
10-29-2014, 05:24 PM
I think we should try and get Notre dame to a home and home while we're getting all the national exposure

Agreed.

SapperDawg
10-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Play UVA and make this a regular series every other year. They are the Ole Miss of VA and the ACC, so we know how to deal with that.

On a personal aside - I have lodging in C-Ville for up to 12 so there's that.