PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Preview/Scouting Report

BeastMan
10-29-2014, 10:34 AM
http://3rdand57.com/arkansas-razorbacks-up-close-and-personal/

I want to hit on something I said at the end when I'm giving my take on the game. I think MSU is missing Jameon Lewis badly. Now before all you people attack that statement because Gabe Myles is filling in so well, I want you to think about it. Where is Myles making his plays? It's on the outside, mainly in screens. I think without Jameon, MSU has largely stopped attacking the middle of the field. What Jameon does for us is that as a senior, he knows how to read the coverages and sit in the holes in the middle as well as anyone. Without him the vast majority of our passes are to the outside. I think MSU needs to get back to attacking the middle to give a more balanced attack in terms of spacing. If Jameon still isn't 100% and cannot make that happen, work Malcolm in there more. The more the middle gets worked, the more the coverages have to look inside. In turn, that gives Bear, Rojo, and the Freds better seems on the outside to work. What yall think?

messageboardsuperhero
10-29-2014, 10:57 AM
I didn't realize their QB had a 15-4 TD/INT ratio... Arkansas actually has some balance and a respectable defense now.

This team is much better than they were last year- you just can't really see it by looking at the wins and losses columns because they play in the SEC West. I'm glad we get them at home.

DawgInMemphis
10-29-2014, 11:06 AM

I want to hit on something I said at the end when I'm giving my take on the game. I think MSU is missing Jameon Lewis badly. Now before all you people attack that statement because Gabe Myles is filling in so well, I want you to think about it. Where is Myles making his plays? It's on the outside, mainly in screens. I think without Jameon, MSU has largely stopped attacking the middle of the field. What Jameon does for us is that as a senior, he knows how to read the coverages and sit in the holes in the middle as well as anyone. Without him the vast majority of our passes are to the outside. I think MSU needs to get back to attacking the middle to give a more balanced attack in terms of spacing. If Jameon still isn't 100% and cannot make that happen, work Malcolm in there more. The more the middle gets worked, the more the coverages have to look inside. In turn, that gives Bear, Rojo, and the Freds better seems on the outside to work. What yall think?

You mentioned their offensive line being massive... I believe in a game I watched earlier they compared their line to every collegiate and NFL team and they had the largest line (or were in the top 3).

1bigdawg
10-29-2014, 11:07 AM
We need Jameon back. He gets open in the middle of the field. Gabe is a great athlete, but I have watched and he is getting no separation. As a Rfr, he will get better as the season goes on (think young LSU), but so far that light has not come on.

Miss. Stake
10-29-2014, 11:41 AM
I was surprised Jameon wasn't fully back last week. His injury must have been pretty bad. I know he got a few snaps. Man it would be great to have him back out there full time

DawgHouseUnited
10-29-2014, 11:55 AM
You mentioned their offensive line being massive... I believe in a game I watched earlier they compared their line to every collegiate and NFL team and they had the largest line (or were in the top 3).

I watched an interview with Jrob on my espn app, and he mentioned the Arky O-line's size. As an aside, he seems like a pretty funny guy.

thunderclap
10-29-2014, 12:03 PM
I know Dak has to miss him. I think Dak had gotten into a habit and rhythm of looking for Jameon when a play breaks down. Jameon has a ton of experience and knows how to find those spots.

Johnson85
10-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Did you intend to include MSU's schedule and results so far? Or was that supposed to be Arkansas's schedule nad results. Seems like Arkansas' would make more sense coming right after the sentence about knowing everything you need to know about them..

BeastMan
10-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Did you intend to include MSU's schedule and results so far? Or was that supposed to be Arkansas's schedule nad results. Seems like Arkansas' would make more sense coming right after the sentence about knowing everything you need to know about them..

No I did not. Thanks. Somehow I copied the wrong table

BeastMan
10-29-2014, 01:44 PM

I vaguely remember that. They are freakishly huge. My favorite quote on them was another SEC coach saying their OL "is like 5 big lumberjacks pounding on you" or something to that effect

BeastMan
10-29-2014, 01:45 PM
I didn't realize their QB had a 15-4 TD/INT ratio... Arkansas actually has some balance and a respectable defense now.

This team is much better than they were last year- you just can't really see it by looking at the wins and losses columns because they play in the SEC West. I'm glad we get them at home.

Don't know if I'd go as far as saying they're balanced but their passing game is light years ahead of last years. Allen has went from 49% completion 13-10 in all of 2013 to 59% 15-4 through 8 games. Crazy good improvement.

FlabLoser
10-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Bielema has earned my respect. Last year, I was skeptical. This year, he's made great strides.

I think what he's doing can work. As defenses get small & fast to combat the spread, the trend will cycle to big uglies running over people.

drunkernhelldawg
10-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Their results prove that they are a very dangerous team, having put up 73 in one game and losing to Bama by only one lucky point.

missouridawg
10-29-2014, 02:30 PM
I really hope our secondary focuses on their playaction game. They are very deceptive at slipping a slot WR or TE past the safety on playaction and had the refs not called a few backside holding penalities on them, they would've beat aTm by 2 TDs.

starkvegasdawg
10-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Now that we're a legitimate national champion threat for the SEC and playing at home you have to expect a few home cooking calls to go our way.

Ralph
10-29-2014, 02:39 PM
I vaguely remember that. They are freakishly huge. My favorite quote on them was another SEC coach saying their OL "is like 5 big lumberjacks pounding on you" or something to that effect

I remember this. They compared to college and nfl and was heaviest across the board.

BeastMan
10-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Now that we're a legitimate national champion threat for the SEC and playing at home you have to expect a few home cooking calls to go our way.

Maybe.... but I'll never expect those

Jack Lambert
10-29-2014, 03:21 PM
6 foot 10 inches, How in the world does he block any one? He has to be the slowest offensive lineman in the SEC and he is too tall to pull a stick on anyone..

MarketingBully01
10-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Good synopsis, okay QB but doesn't run at all, one average SEC WR, better then average SEC TE, good run blocking OL. If they try to pass on us, we will beat them by a lot. When they depend on the pass, BA shows his true colors. He only has four INTs but he had two against GA. If we force BA to beat us in the air and shut their run game down, we shut them down.

Now Cadaver, can you put up the Arkansas prediction thread already so I can put my prediction up. :). It's almost Thursday. As I have stated earlier, we roll 38-14.

QuadrupleOption
10-29-2014, 08:38 PM

You mentioned in your article that Arkansas would be the first power rushing attack we'd see this year. Would LSU not fall into that category? If not, why not?

Not trying to start anything, I'm legitimately curious.

Acid mouth
10-29-2014, 08:59 PM

I was watching that game. Arkansas has the heaviest OL in all of college and NFL. The bearsharks where in the top 5 as well.

Political Hack
10-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Don't know if I'd go as far as saying they're balanced but their passing game is light years ahead of last years. Allen has went from 49% completion 13-10 in all of 2013 to 59% 15-4 through 8 games. Crazy good improvement.

a good running game is a QB's best friend.

We will run the ball a lot on defense this week. We may give up some PA passes, but we're going to gang tackle their RBs.

DLGDawg
10-30-2014, 04:08 PM
The long td to Lewis against lsu(daks scramble) was due to the smarts of jameon.