PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2 SEC teams in the final four at the end of the season

MetEdDawg
10-29-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but this thought has occurred to me. We are all clamoring for two SEC teams and I completely agree that should happen, especially if we stay unbeaten and Auburn has 1 loss.

My question is, can we seriously believe that the committee isn't going to make sure to slot the two SEC teams in a semifinal game together? That the committee might be "encouraged" to make sure an all SEC final doesn't happen? I believe if us and Auburn win out that we should be #1 and #3. But can we really believe that the committee will allow two SEC schools to potentially meet in the finals of the first ever college football playoff?

They get to appease everyone with that setup. SEC gets their two teams in and we really can't complain. Then the rest of the country doesn't complain about an all SEC championship game because the committee makes it to where the two SEC teams knock each other out, showing that every power 5 conference will have an equal and fair chance at the championship.

And the problem is there is nothing that can be done about it because of the lack of clarity in the weight of factors that play into ranking the top 4 teams. Say Oregon wins out or a team like Michigan State wins out and they win their conference championship. There's the reasoning they can put one of those teams in the #3 slot and bump Auburn down to #4 and match them up with us.

Wanted to get thoughts on this because I haven't seen this talked about.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2014, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but this thought has occurred to me. We are all clamoring for two SEC teams and I completely agree that should happen, especially if we stay unbeaten and Auburn has 1 loss.

My question is, can we seriously believe that the committee isn't going to make sure to slot the two SEC teams in a semifinal game together? That the committee might be "encouraged" to make sure an all SEC final doesn't happen? I believe if us and Auburn win out that we should be #1 and #3. But can we really believe that the committee will allow two SEC schools to potentially meet in the finals of the first ever college football playoff?

They get to appease everyone with that setup. SEC gets their two teams in and we really can't complain. Then the rest of the country doesn't complain about an all SEC championship game because the committee makes it to where the two SEC teams knock each other out, showing that every power 5 conference will have an equal and fair chance at the championship.

And the problem is there is nothing that can be done about it because of the lack of clarity in the weight of factors that play into ranking the top 4 teams. Say Oregon wins out or a team like Michigan State wins out and they win their conference championship. There's the reasoning they can put one of those teams in the #3 slot and bump Auburn down to #4 and match them up with us.

Early indications are that the committee doesn't seem to be political. We'll see how things evolve from week to week, but as of now, I think they are just objectively ranking teams based on resume and without regard to conference

Johnson85
10-29-2014, 09:47 AM

I think it's 50/50 it's the opposite. If a second SEC team gets in, and there is a non-SEC 1 seed, it will be easy for them to seed the second SEC team #4. If they are the 4 seed and beat a non-SEC number 1 team, nobody can complain because clearly they deserved to be there. If they move them to #4 to guarantee that two teams aren't in the championship game, then the #4 team has a legitimate complaint.

If the #1 seed is an SEC team, then I think there's a decent chance you end up with an all SEC 1v4 matchup. But let's say we go undefeated and Auburn has one loss, they are going to have a much better resume than the the third place team (and probably the second seed), so even then I think we'd end up without two SEC teams matched up in the first round.

bgover4
10-29-2014, 05:36 PM
I think the media would be excited for an FSU auburn rematch so that would be us at 1 and auburn at 3. I know the media doesn't get any say in the matter but it would allow the committee a pass on the issue if the media liked the match ups.

Schultzy
10-29-2014, 07:35 PM
If we played it today, it would be an Egg Bowl re-match in the Superdome.

Homedawg
10-29-2014, 08:44 PM
There are only two ways the sec gets two teams. We run the table and auburn runs the table and we get two. Bama runs the table and ole miss runs the table we get 2.
Eta, I guess if we win out in the regular season and lose to Georgia who only has one loss it's possible that we get two. But not for sure.