PDA

View Full Version : Watching the UM v LSU replay on SECN

TXDawg
10-28-2014, 10:10 PM
After LSU calls the timeout to "ice the kicker", the camera pans to UM's huddle with Freeze talking to Bo and the receivers. Just before they break, it looks like Bo gives Freeze an incredulous look , shrugs his shoulders, and says "End it??" About the same time, Freeze shrugs His shoulders and it looks like he says "I don't know what else to do." or "I don't know, that the only call."

Is it possible that Hugh actually called the Hail Mary, then grew Bo under the bus anyway?

Yes, Treadwell ran a 7-yard out, but he was never looking for the ball. If you look at Freeze on the sideline, he's pointing downfield. You can't really tell who he's pointing at, but when he starts to point, Treadwell hasn't even started to come out of his break yet and Core actually appears to be open. I think Hugh was pointing at Core.

He wanted Bo to throw it deep all along. He only got upset when it was picked.

Todd4State
10-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Well, here's the thing when you really think about it. IF you really, really, really, don't want your QB to throw a Hail Mary and only want a 9 yard out route, why run a play where the WR is in the end zone? Just run mirrored out routes and eliminate any temptation.

bluelightstar
10-28-2014, 10:48 PM
I don't know, Freeze looked genuinely shocked when Bo threw downfield at all.

Todd4State
10-28-2014, 10:50 PM

You might be right, but I have a feeling that Freeze was shocked that his play call didn't work- and then blamed it on Bo.

oldjoedawg
10-28-2014, 10:53 PM
His was the phoniest reaction anyone could imagine......way over-played in my mind and for show....

TXDawg
10-28-2014, 11:24 PM
You might be right, but I have a feeling that Freeze was shocked that his play call didn't work- and then blamed it on Bo.

I think you're right, Todd.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 11:38 PM
After LSU calls the timeout to "ice the kicker", the camera pans to UM's huddle with Freeze talking to Bo and the receivers. Just before they break, it looks like Bo gives Freeze an incredulous look , shrugs his shoulders, and says "End it??" About the same time, Freeze shrugs His shoulders and it looks like he says "I don't know what else to do." or "I don't know, that the only call."

Is it possible that Hugh actually called the Hail Mary, then grew Bo under the bus anyway?

Yes, Treadwell ran a 7-yard out, but he was never looking for the ball. If you look at Freeze on the sideline, he's pointing downfield. You can't really tell who he's pointing at, but when he starts to point, Treadwell hasn't even started to come out of his break yet and Core actually appears to be open. I think Hugh was pointing at Core.

He wanted Bo to throw it deep all along. He only got upset when it was picked.

I saw that too. Here's what I think happened....

I think Freeze told Bo, "We're going to have an out route as our primary receiver, and if he's not open, throw it away. But hey, we will have Core going deep, so if he's open and one on one, hit him." Or something to that extent.

Regardless of what he said, it was all on Freeze. Freeze knew who his QB was....after all, he's been throwing him under the bus for 3 years now. So to call any play with no timeouts left in that situation, was stupid....but to call a play with any potential at an INT, as Todd said, was beyond idiotic. Freeze got exactly what he deserved, and while Bo's decision was stupid....the fact that there was even an opportunity to throw a pick in that situation was a total **** up on the Beav's part.

DancingRabbit
10-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I don't think Freeze straight up called for the deep ball, but I do think it's quite possible that he wasn't 100% truthful afterwards. I suspect it was more like, "if it's open go for the TD, if not check down to the flat and if neither is there throw it away before 9 seconds runs out".

There is a reason to run a couple WRs deep even if you don't intend to throw deep - opens up the shorter pass. Treadwell was open, but he didn't have the body language of a primary receiver so who knows.

What was most bizarre to me was the lackadaisical effort to get the FG unit on the field and set before the delay of game penalty. Even though Freeze didn't send them out quick enough, there was still enough time (18 ticks). The kicker was taking his sweet time getting ready, totally clueless the play clock was winding down; Hugh maybe should have told them to hurry the eff up.

TXDawg
10-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Also, at no time during the entire sequence did Freeze have any sense of urgency. He didn't even look angry when the delay of game penalty happened.

He was in over his head and hoped his QB could chuck it up and make a play. I mean, it worked in high school, so it should certainly work in the SEC. **

Dawg61
10-29-2014, 01:33 AM
Bo doesn't have the arm strength for that Hail Mary pass. It was just a total melt by Freeze. Wallace was out of it mentally the entire 4th quarter.