PDA

View Full Version : This won't be popular, but....

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 08:55 PM
I think everybody on this board acting so sure that OM will lose to Auburn, may be letting their heart get ahead of their head. Not saying Auburn can't beat OM, but using LSU as a comparable and claiming "Auburn will run it down their throats", is misleading in my opinion.

LSU is a smash mouth run team that runs downhill, whereas Auburn is a finesse run team that runs a little bit of down hill but a lot of East/West running. That will play very well into OM's strength on defense, which is their speed. Auburn's OL will not be blowing OM's DL off the ball because that's not their style. Their style is more about scheme and execution on the OL, much like ours. So it could give us a good idea of how we match up with the Bears.

Also, it concerns me that Auburn's defense looked like garbage against South Carolina. OM has a shitty offense IMO, but their defense is so good that their O doesn't have to do much. I hope the injuries have started to eat into that lack of depth for OM, and that Auburn takes advantage, but I just don't think OM loses that game unless last week beats them twice.

smootness
10-28-2014, 08:57 PM
I honestly don't care. We'll take care of Ole Miss if they don't.

I seen it dawg
10-28-2014, 08:58 PM
You are not very popular. I just rolled your house.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 08:59 PM
I honestly don't care. We'll take care of Ole Miss if they don't.

Counting on winning a rivalry game against a Top 1-3 team on their field with a SEC Championship on the line is not exactly what I want to be counting on.....so in my opinion we SHOULD all care about that game.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 08:59 PM
You are not very popular. I just rolled your house.

Haha

IMissJack
10-28-2014, 09:00 PM
You make some excellent points, however while AU is not as smash mouth running style as LSU, they do throw it better and mix plays better than LSU. I too was surprised by AU defense with SC.

Todd4State
10-28-2014, 09:01 PM
I don't agree that Auburn is a finesse running team. They are a very physical team and they do a lot of things with their running game, which makes it hard to defend on both fronts.

smootness
10-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Counting on winning a rivalry game against a Top 1-3 team on their field with a SEC Championship on the line is not exactly what I want to be counting on.....so in my opinion we SHOULD all care about that game.

I'm just saying, it's going to happen. Their defense is better than ours, but not by nearly as much as people think. We will shut them down and we will be able to move it on them. I don't care about atmosphere or where it's played. We're much better than Ole Miss and will beat them. We're much better than even our own fans are giving us credit for.

Covercorner2
10-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Auburn also doesn't have the secondary that LSU has and this game in in Oxford. I agree, this is a much better matchup for Ole Miss than LSU was, AND it's in Oxford. However, if Ole Miss does lose, I will feel very good about our chances in Oxford. We are more like Auburn than we are LSU...

Todd4State
You make some excellent points, however while AU is not as smash mouth running style as LSU, they do throw it better and mix plays better than LSU. I too was surprised by AU defense with SC.

I don't know- South Carolina has put some points on the board against some people even though they have lost to some teams like Kentucky. Their defense has been an issue this year.

msstate7
Not necessarily disagreeing, but USCe is 5th in the sec in total offense. Offense hasn't been the issue with USCe this year.

Auburn does have some straight ahead pop in CAP. Auburn has run on everyone, but Kansas st. Kansas state slowed them down by disciplined football. I think Om is overly aggressive much of the time and that will hurt them vs auburn. Denzel being out could hurt them in this game bc of his speed to the outside.

Also don't discount the injuries om has

Covercorner2
10-28-2014, 09:05 PM
R. Nkemdiche, Prewitt and Tunsil all practiced today fwiw

IMissJack
10-28-2014, 09:11 PM
If Tunsil does have a torn bicep (partial), I have to believe that affects his play.

Political Hack
10-28-2014, 09:11 PM
wanna bet? I called it against LSU and will call it this weekend. Auburn by 9 or more. BANK ON IT.

smootness
10-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Auburn also doesn't have the secondary that LSU has and this game in in Oxford. I agree, this is a much better matchup for Ole Miss than LSU was, AND it's in Oxford. However, if Ole Miss does lose, I will feel very good about our chances in Oxford. We are more like Auburn than we are LSU...

We are like Auburn in some ways and like LSU in others. We are the most physical team in the country and much better than both Auburn and LSU. We've already proven that.

Pollodawg
10-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Ole Miss will not be in the play off, people.

sleepy dawg
10-28-2014, 09:18 PM
wanna bet? I called it against LSU and will call it this weekend. Auburn by 9 or more. BANK ON IT.

What was your pick in the Ole Miss/Bama game and the Ole Miss/A&M game?

Covercorner2
10-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Right. All I'm saying is LSU was the perfect mismatch for Ole Miss. They are a power running, pro style offense, with elite defensive backs. While we are probably the most physical team in college football, we have a completely different offensive scheme and we lack elite defensive backs. Auburn also has a completely different offensive scheme and lacks elite defensive backs. We are better than all three teams, but sometimes it's more about matchups and where the game is played than who is the better overall team...

engie
10-28-2014, 09:22 PM
LSU is a smash mouth run team that runs downhill, whereas Auburn is a finesse run team that runs a little bit of down hill but a lot of East/West running.

Say what?

Auburn is as smash mouth as it gets out of the spread. Are you getting lost in the eye candy and the non-designed Marshall runs? The don't actually have a speed/finesse back in that bunch anymore...

smootness
10-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Right. All I'm saying is LSU was the perfect mismatch for Ole Miss. They are a power running, pro style offense, with elite defensive backs. While we are probably the most physical team in college football, we have a completely different offensive scheme and we lack elite defensive backs. Auburn also has a completely different offensive scheme and lacks elite defensive backs. We are better than all three teams, but sometimes it's more about matchups and where the game is played than who is the better overall team...

And all I'm saying is, we matched up with both LSU and Auburn equally and destroyed both.

I hope Wallace thinks he can sit back and throw all over us.

smootness
10-28-2014, 09:26 PM

And all I'm saying is, we matched up with both LSU and Auburn equally and destroyed both.

I hope Wallace thinks he can sit back and throw all over us.

Covercorner2
10-28-2014, 09:28 PM
This isn't about Ole Miss vs State

mstatefan91
10-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Some of you are really getting blinded by the 1B numbers that are getting added to our defensive stat sheet. We have a very good defense and an even better offense. TSUN doesn't scare me and hasn't the entire season. Oxford is really not a scary place to play when you compare it to Death Valley. Sorry bears, it just isn't.

msstate7
10-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Say what?

Auburn is as smash mouth as it gets out of the spread. Are you getting lost in the eye candy and the non-designed Marshall runs? The don't actually have a speed/finesse back in that bunch anymore...

CAP is very physical.

I wonder who OM puts golson on. I think OM's safeties will have to play run, so hilton and golson will be on an island vs Williams and Coates. Connor most likely spies Marshall

mstatefan91
10-28-2014, 09:29 PM
This isn't about Ole Miss vs State

Ultimately everything boils down to us vs. whoever the discussion is about. Since we have already played and beaten Auburn, this is ultimately about us vs. TSUN at the end of the season.

Most people want TSUN to be in a downward spiral by the time we get to Oxford. I don't think it will matter as long as Dak and JRob are healthy.

Covercorner2
10-28-2014, 09:30 PM
No one said we would lose to Ole Miss. What we are trying to say is that Auburn is a lot better matchup for Ole Miss than LSU is. And, to add to that, the game is in Oxford.

msstate7
10-28-2014, 09:32 PM
No one said we would lose to Ole Miss. What we are trying to say is that Auburn is a lot better matchup for Ole Miss than LSU is. And, to add to that, the game is in Oxford.

I don't agree. Lsu was one dimensional. Auburn runs better than lsu, throws better, and is just a flat out better team

Covercorner2
10-28-2014, 09:32 PM
LSU runs the ball the most in the conference and throws the ball the least in the conference. Auburn is more balanced, and thus a different type offense than LSU. And the less you run the ball and the more you throw the ball, the more you are playing into Ole Miss's strengths. Just ask Alabama.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Say what?

Auburn is not "smashmouth". And considering Marshall runs it probably 15+ times per game and NONE of those runs from him are "smashmouth", I would say I'm correct. Yes, they run so e downhill plays to Artis Payme, but I acknowledged "some downhill" in my OP. Are you claiming Marshall's designed runs are "smashmouth"? And considering the other undesignied runs of his (which he always has an option to run, so very few are technically "undesigned") are quite often and also not "smashmouth", I'm not sure where I could be getting caught up in "eye candy". Marshall IS their offense, and their is no smashmouth element to Marshall....so how can they be a smashmouth team?

msstate7
10-28-2014, 09:35 PM
LSU runs the ball the most in the conference and throws the ball the least in the conference. Auburn is more balanced, and thus a different type offense than LSU. And the less you run the ball and the more you throw the ball, the more you are playing into Ole Miss's strengths. Just ask Alabama.

Auburn is the best running team in the sec. They avg more than 50 more rushing yards a game than lsu

CadaverDawg

Exactly.

Coach34
Cadaver- didnt you say there was no way LSU was beating Ole Missus? Or was that Goat? One of you was pretty adament about it. But either way- I'm not even looking at the Auburn offense- I think Auburn's DL is going to manhandle the Ole Missus OL. Big Softie wont play much if at all and the rest are garbage.

Covercorner2
Auburn IS the better overall team. However, they may not matchup well with OLE MISS. In addition to things pointing out earlier, their secondary is suspect, and guess what? All Ole Miss can do is throw the ball. LSU has a top 3 secondary in the SEC and that is a main reason they shut Ole Miss down.

mstatefan91
10-28-2014, 09:36 PM

Oxford is just not a scary place to play IMO.

I also just think that Auburn is a flat out better team than TSUN. I may be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be. Auburn has too much offense and a decent enough defense. They may very well have the grove packed by halftime.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Cadaver- didnt you say there was no way LSU was beating Ole Missus? Or was that Goat? One of you was pretty adament about it. But either way- I'm not even looking at the Auburn offense- I think Auburn's DL is going to manhandle the Ole Missus OL. Big Softie wont play much if at all and the rest are garbage.

Yep, I predicted a big OM win, but wasn't "adamant" about it.

And to your point, that is the only way I think OM gets beaten....if Auburn plays good defense and gets some short fields to work with. I guess I'm just not sold on Auburn's defense to this point. But USC's offense is pretty good, so hopefully that was more about their O than Auburn's D. I agree with you though...if Auburn's D plays well they can win without their O even having to do much.

Political Hack
10-28-2014, 09:39 PM
What was your pick in the Ole Miss/Bama game and the Ole Miss/A&M game?

I thought Bama would pound them and cover, but didn't run the ball. I stayed away from A&M. It was apparent they weren't that great by that point.

Called USA last week. Called Oregon last week. Called UGA over Arky. Called LSU over OM-straight up. Called State over A&M. Called State over LSU. Etc... Been a good season so far. No gaurantee that it'll continue, but so far, so good.

msstate7
10-28-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't care what any of you say. You don't lead the sec in rushing by being a finesse team.

State82
10-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Auburn IS the better overall team. However, they may not matchup well with OLE MISS. In addition to things pointing out earlier, their secondary is suspect, and guess what? All Ole Miss can do is throw the ball. LSU has a top 3 secondary in the SEC and that is a main reason they shut Ole Miss down.

Yep. This is the reason I am somewhat suspect of this game. I would not bet it with house money. It's a crap shoot.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't care what any of you say. You don't lead the sec in rushing by being a finesse team.

So did they smashmouth us? I thought our D was great against Smashmouth teams, but Auburn ran it on us. So either they aren't "smashmouth", or we don't shut down smashmouth teams and we should be more concerned with Arkansas.

SheltonChoked
10-28-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm not high on auburn beating ole miss because of auburn's offense (although with kimdeeches hurt and prewitt hurt I like thier chances).

I like auburn to win because of thier defensive line. this goes double with tunsil hurt nad the center out for ole miss. No way bo stays clean this game. And a tackled bo is a bad bo. And bad bo loses games.

Maybe auburn is not as good as LSU but they will score more than 14 on them. I cannot say I see ole miss matching that.

TUSK
10-28-2014, 09:51 PM
I don't agree that Auburn is a finesse running team. They are a very physical team and they do a lot of things with their running game, which makes it hard to defend on both fronts.

this guy gets it.

Jack Lambert
10-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Ole Miss does not have the offense to beat Auburn. Bottom line.

dawgs
10-28-2014, 09:54 PM

We may not have elite DBs, but the weakness is getting beat deep, not tackling (cleveland's whiff at kentucky notwithstanding). Bro wallace can't throw it deep, and if he tries, we'll have a bunch of ints because he floats it like a weak armed QB tends to do. Treadwell and co. are a good batch of WRs, but if we tackle like we have all but a handful of plays this season, they won't be going crazy passing the ball.

msstate7
10-28-2014, 09:58 PM
So did they smashmouth us? I thought our D was great against Smashmouth teams, but Auburn ran it on us. So either they aren't "smashmouth", or we don't shut down smashmouth teams and we should be more concerned with Arkansas.

They ran it on us bc they're good. They're damn good at running the ball. Their oline made holes against us and CAP drug some of our guys for extra yards. They also make you respect the pass bc they have 2 HR hitters on the outside.

Their zone read is lethal. They can smash up the middle (cap) or beat you with speed (Marshall) to the outside.

OM swarms to the ball and that's not a good thing against auburn bc the ball isn't going where you think half the time

engie
10-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Marshall IS their offense, and their is no smashmouth element to Marshall....so how can they be a smashmouth team?
This is as full retard as you've gone on something in awhile.

They are just as good with the actually smashmouth backup QB. Or haven't you gotten that memo? Since when does the QB have to be a "smashmouth runner" to have a "smashmouth offense"? Jennings and LSU missed that memo. Auburn throws a bunch of pre-snap trickeration -- then they run right over your asses.

JDog13
10-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Ole Miss does not have the offense to beat Auburn. Bottom line.

Yeah. Auburn may not have the top ranked defense, but will it be good enough to hold Bo dirt's low power O in check? I think so.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:05 PM
They ran it on us bc they're good. They're damn good at running the ball. Their oline made holes against us and CAP drug some of our guys for extra yards. They also make you respect the pass bc they have 2 HR hitters on the outside.

Their zone read is lethal. They can smash up the middle (cap) or beat you with speed (Marshall) to the outside.

OM swarms to the ball and that's not a good thing against auburn bc the ball isn't going where you think half the time

I agree, but 17 carries and 100 yards rushing for Marshall go against the Smashmouth criteria in my opinion. But that's not my overall point. The point I'm making is that Auburn runs a totally different type of run game than LSU...and drawing comparables between the two doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't mean Auburn can't still win running it on OM, but it's just a totally different type of run game IMO. Oh well, I hope you guys are all right.

TUSK
10-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Say what?

Your argument is mostly correct... however, their #2 RB (Grant) may be the fastest player in the conference... he was processed by My Dark Lord.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:08 PM
This is as full retard as you've gone on something in awhile.

They are just as good with the actually smashmouth backup QB. Or haven't you gotten that memo? Since when does the QB have to be a "smashmouth runner" to have a "smashmouth offense"? Jennings and LSU missed that memo. Auburn throws a bunch of pre-snap trickeration -- then they run right over your asses.

When the finesse QB is a majority of their offense...that's when. And what are you talking about "backup QB"? Talk about full retard. Johnson airs it out....and why would he even be a point of reference in this? You're reaching. Don't go calling people names just because you disagree....just discuss. It makes you seem like you know you're wrong.

msstate7
10-28-2014, 10:08 PM
I agree, but 17 carries and 100 yards rushing for Marshall go against the Smashmouth criteria in my opinion. But that's not my overall point. The point I'm making is that Auburn runs a totally different type of run game than LSU...and drawing comparables between the two doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't mean Auburn can't still win running it on OM, but it's just a totally different type of run game IMO. Oh well, I hope you guys are all right.

What about CAP's 16 carries for 71 yards (4.4 avg) to go along with marshall's?

engie
10-28-2014, 10:09 PM

Seeing how we held their rush O to the second lowest output of the season and tied the 4th lowest in their 20 games under Malzahn, and 2 of the 3 times they've been held without a rushing TD was against us, I'd say no -- they didn't run on us very well at all. 2 of their 3 or 4 lowest rushing outputs under Malzahn have come against MSU.

Auburn is smashmouth -- and they are better at it than anyone else in the conference.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:13 PM
What about CAP's 16 carries for 71 yards (4.4 avg) to go along with marshall's?

I acknowledged that in the OP, when I said they do run "some downhill". And not all of his runs are downhill either. Again, they may run over OM, but their run game does not mirror LSU in physicality.

TUSK
10-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Seeing how we held their rush O to the second lowest output of the season and tied the 4th lowest in their 20 games under Malzahn, and 2 of the 3 times they've been held without a rushing TD was against us, I'd say no -- they didn't run on us very well at all. 2 of their 3 or 4 lowest rushing outputs under Malzahn have come against MSU.

Auburn is smashmouth -- and they are better at it than anyone else in the conference.

Yes - Auburn is smashmouth

No - and they are better at it than anyone else in the conference. (but they are in the top 1/3)

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:15 PM

No they aren't....they're a great running team, but not "smashmouth". I agree that they're the best running team in the conference.

engie
10-28-2014, 10:15 PM
When the finesse QB is a majority of their offense...that's when. And what are you talking about "backup QB"? Talk about full retard. Johnson airs it out....and why would he even be a point of reference in this? You're reaching. Don't go calling people names just because you disagree....just discuss. It makes you seem like you know you're wrong.

I'm wrong yet basically everyone here agrees with me?

This is tantamount to arguing that Bama isn't smashmouth because "Blake Sims is a shifty QB that provides most of their offense"...simply because Auburn doesn't fit your description of what "smashmouth" is in traditional terms. They run over your ass. That = smashmouth. I can't believe this is even a discussion. It's surreal.

"Finesse?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPvRcEU8Pr4

mstatefan91
10-28-2014, 10:21 PM
A&M and TSUN are basically the only two teams in the West that are not smash mouth running teams.

Regardless, Bo better hope he at least gets two seconds to throw a bubble screen this week cause auburn is gonna blow up that offensive line

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm wrong yet basically everyone here agrees with me?

This is tantamount to arguing that Bama isn't smashmouth because "Blake Sims is a shifty QB that provides most of their offense"...simply because Auburn doesn't fit your description of what "smashmouth" is in traditional terms. They run over your ass. That = smashmouth. I can't believe this is even a discussion. It's surreal.

Engine gonna Engine. Another "discussion" that Engine can't help but turn in to an "I'm right you're wrong" rant. Even though you can't prove you're right and that's not even what the thread was about.

Bottom line. Auburn isn't going to run 12 straight times between the tackles, so it will not be a comparable test for OM. Still may work, but AU's run game isn't as smash mouth IMO. If you disagree, great...don't care. You always do.

Now, do any of you normal posters want to continue a normal discussion that doesn't include calling people "tards" if they disagree with you? I'm all ears if so.

SDDawg
10-28-2014, 10:23 PM
You're right, this was pretty unpopular. If Auburn does what they do and OM does what they do, Auburn wins.

One thing I'll be watching closely is how they defend Nick Marshall. He's not Dak, but you have to respect his legs and it might give us an indicator of what we'll see later.

Bubb Rubb
10-28-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't understand how this is even being debated.

Auburn not smashmouth? Hells yeah, they are smashmouth. They are extremely physical. They will dominate both lines of scrimmage.

Auburn is going to throttle Ole Miss. It will be a laugher. Once again, I don't even understand how it can be debated. Even if the Ole Miss defense plays out of this world, Auburn is going to score some points. Nobody with a lick of sense can surely say that Ole Miss is going to be able to outscore Auburn.

Believe me now, or believe me later.

Auburn will be our most impressive win this year, no matter who we play going forward. By the end of the year, that LSU win is going to look damn good too.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm cool with people disagreeing. Auburn ran more times East/West than they did North/South the last several games. That's not what I would call "smash mouth" or "downhill", which is my point. If others call it smash mouth and downhill that's fine. I still think OM can use their speed more vs Au than they could vs LSU.

engie
10-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Yes - Auburn is smashmouth

No - and they are better at it than anyone else in the conference. (but they are in the top 1/3)

Adjustedstats say(adjusted for competition) Auburn is the best overall running team in the SEC...
#1 Adjusted yards per game
#2 Adjusted yards per carry(Georgia)
#1 Adjusted total rushing per game(sacks not counted against you)
#2 Adjusted total rushing per carry(Georgia)

http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/cfboffrushadj.php

An argument can be made for MSU, Bama, Arky, and Georgia, sure... with LSU rising...

DownwardDawg
10-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Auburn will score 24 and dominate. Ive thought this all year. Bama could hav run on them (and did when they tried) but Kiffin choked and started throwing it for some reason. I knew the bears would beat aTm because of matchup.
Auburn is very physical.

engie
10-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Engine gonna Engine. Another "discussion" that Engine can't help but turn in to an "I'm right you're wrong" rant. Even though you can't prove you're right and that's not even what the thread was about.
The whole thread is based on a flawed premise -- so it is what it's about.

Bottom line. Auburn isn't going to run 12 straight times between the tackles, so it will not be a comparable test for OM.
They may not -- but it's not because they can't. They can actually throw the ball -- something LSU couldn't. Everyone in the stadium knew it was coming and OM still couldn't stop it.

Still may work, but AU's run game isn't as smash mouth IMO. If you disagree, great...don't care. You always do.
Ok.

Now, do any of you normal posters want to continue a normal discussion that doesn't include calling people "tards" if they disagree with you? I'm all ears if so
Where did I call anyone a "tard"? I said this premise is retarded -- because it is.

Check back in when OM "shuts down the finesse Auburn offense" on Saturday...

cheewgumm
10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
I just think Auburn will outscore them.

Who has the
Better OL? LSU or AUB?

I don't think Ole Miss
Can bank on stopping Marshall because they had success against BAMA. Sims wasn't doing the same stuff
Then and Kiffins went brain dead in that one. Yeldwn was probably thinking "Heisman moment" that night until they stopped running him.

bluelightstar
10-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Think I saw Auburn had 170-190 yards between the tackles. They make you defend the whole field (east-west, and down the field with Coates/Duke), but I don't think that makes them any less smashmouth. They're very physical, but Roc Thomas and CAP aren't on a Tre Mason level of physicality yet.

And if Auburn finds success between the tackles against Ole Miss, Gus Malzahn is absolutely the coach who is going to keep doing that over and over and over.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:45 PM
The whole thread is based on a flawed premise -- so it is what it's about.

They may not -- but it's not because they can't. They can actually throw the ball -- something LSU couldn't. Everyone in the stadium knew it was coming and OM still couldn't stop it.

Ok.

Where did I call anyone a "tard"? I said this premise is retarded -- because it is.

Check back in when OM "shuts down the finesse Auburn offense" on Saturday...

What a tool. I never said "OM will shut down the finesse Auburn offense", but hey, why use facts when you can just be typical engine and throw quotes around a lie and claim it as part of your argument, right?

Why can't you just be a normal person and discuss things without having to try and claim dominance by picking out a word here or there and changing the entire thread? And then putting words in my mouth? Jesus man, your message board God complex is crammed full of douche.

I disagree with tons of threads and posts on this board daily, like many others....yet somehow we all manage to either ignore or simply disagree with those that we don't agree with and move on or discuss our differing opinions. I never feel like I have to 1) Prove that I am 100% right and anybody that opposes me is 100% wrong, or 2) Try to discredit and tell whoever I disagree with that they are an idiot and tard strong because they disagree with me on a sports message board. But then again, I'm not telling you anything that every poster on here and SP hasn't told you before I guess.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Think I saw Auburn had 170-190 yards between the tackles. They make you defend the whole field (east-west, and down the field with Coates/Duke), but I don't think that makes them any less smashmouth. They're very physical, but Roc Thomas and CAP aren't on a Tre Mason level of physicality yet.

And if Auburn finds success between the tackles against Ole Miss, Gus Malzahn is absolutely the coach who is going to keep doing that over and over and over.

Well, obviously I look at smashmouth differently than others, and everyone including the God of message boards, has corrected me. Basically, I know Auburn is physical and have never said otherwise....I just think they do a lot more outside running than your LSU's, Bama's, etc that I consider typical smashmouth programs that wear you out between the tackles for 4 quarters. If they're smashmouth in everybody's eyes, fine, I can live with that because regardless of what you call it, Ole miss will be able to utilize their speed on defense more against Auburn than they were able to against LSU, because LSU ran straight at them for 4 quarters and AU will not. That was my point....before the thread destroyer came in and changed the whole thread to a debate of whether they are considered "smashmouth". That isn't what the point of this thread was. So I agree about the whole field...which is why OM will be able to use their speed more, because AU won't run right at OM, downhill, between the tackles, for 4 quarters.

bluelightstar
10-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Well, obviously I look at smashmouth differently than others, and everyone including the God of message boards, has corrected me. Basically, I know Auburn is physical and have never said otherwise....I just think they do a lot more outside running than your LSU's, Bama's, etc that I consider typical smashmouth programs that wear you out between the tackles for 4 quarters. If they're smashmouth in everybody's eyes, fine, I can live with that because regardless of what you call it, Ole miss will be able to utilize their speed on defense more against Auburn than they were able to against LSU, because LSU ran straight at them for 4 quarters and AU will not. That was my point....before the thread destroyer came in and changed the whole thread to a debate of whether they are considered "smashmouth". That isn't what the point of this thread was. So I agree about the whole field...which is why OM will be able to use their speed more, because AU won't run right at OM for 4 quarters

That's the thing though -- if that's having success (running right ahead at Ole Miss), Gus will figure out a way to do exactly that for four quarters. He is usually a guy who does a tremendous job of hammering away with what's working, and right when you start to adjust, he calls a hell of a play to take advantage. I could be wrong, but I don't see Ole Miss winning this game.

cheewgumm
10-28-2014, 10:59 PM
I admit when I think" smash mouth" I think more of what LSU does than what Auburn does.

It seems like LSU runs it a lot more... Just from qty standpoint, though I have no idea if that is fact.

Also it seems more about their line blowing your d line off the ball... Straight ahead.

I still think Auburn is physical. I think they are the best ur 2bd best team.... Period.

AUB. 31
OMU. 17

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 10:59 PM
That's the thing though -- if that's having success (running right ahead at Ole Miss), Gus will figure out a way to do exactly that for four quarters. He is usually a guy who does a tremendous job of hammering away with what's working, and right when you start to adjust, he calls a hell of a play to take advantage. I could be wrong, but I don't see Ole Miss winning this game.

Totally agree about running right at them, and that's the determining factor. IF, and that's a big IF, Auburn sticks with it, I think they can and will win. But I worry that Malzahn will want to get cute and keep trying to run wide or throw the ball, and that will play right Into OM strengths. Basically, if they will pound the middle and call safe pass plays, I think they can win. Will they do that though? Avoiding turnovers and making OM drive the field will be huge too. If they do what you're saying though, I agree they can be effective. But will they?

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 11:02 PM
I admit when I think" smash mouth" I think more of what LSU does than what Auburn does.

Also it seems more about their line blowing your d line off the ball... Straight ahead.

I still think Auburn is physical.

I totally 100% agree with this. This^ is all I was trying to say in regards to the different running styles.

msstate7
10-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Even though prewitt and RN are playing, I think their injury issues are huge. Auburn, whether they're physical or not, is gonna run the ball. Bc of this prewitt will have to tackle. RN will have an olineman pushing him all night. Gus is going to nut check those 2 early and often to see how healthy they are

msstate7
10-28-2014, 11:08 PM
ULL ran for over 200 on OM with a zone read type of running game

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Even though prewitt and RN are playing, I think their injury issues are huge. Auburn, whether they're physical or not, is gonna run the ball. Bc of this prewitt will have to tackle. RN will have an olineman pushing him all night. Gus is going to nut check those 2 early and often to see how healthy they are

LSU very well may have beaten OM twice last weekend. It will be interesting to see what kind of swagger OM comes out of the tunnel with Saturday. If Auburn comes out and scores early, and we see OM's same shaky offense that we've seen lately....it may get ugly for OM, and very enjoyable for us.

RougeDawg
10-28-2014, 11:11 PM

Agree. Auburn is a physical team that also can run with finesse. They can pound you or slip around you. they also have a QB that's a much a threat to run as any QB in the nation. Jennings is/was not a threat to run and LSU said "Here Comes the Run" and OM couldn't stop it. Plus AU has a decent passing threat, whereas LSU does not. Auburn has more misdirection/option type runs than LSU and is still physical.

OM's 1st string defense (more around 8 guys) is stout, but beyond that they are pedestrian. They are banged up. The depth issues will show this week as I predicted they would earlier in the year.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 11:13 PM
ULL ran for over 200 on OM with a zone read type of running game

True, as did Boise (ran for 200+ I think). Will be interesting to see what happens. I just hope Auburn doesn't play into their hands by trying to throw it around early. If they run it early and often and get out to a lead, OM may implode. I'd love to see Hugh release Bo while playing from behind all game.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Agree. Auburn is a physical team that also can run with finesse. They can pound you or slip around you. they also have a QB that's a much a threat to run as any QB in the nation. Jennings is/was not a threat to run and LSU said "Here Comes the Run" and OM couldn't stop it. Plus AU has a decent passing threat, whereas LSU does not. Auburn has more misdirection/option type runs than LSU and is still physical.

OM's 1st string defense (more around 8 guys) is stout, but beyond that they are pedestrian. .

I agree. Good summary

MaroonState
10-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Better listen to cadaver. He knows of what he speaks. Auburn has a lot of get to the edge run plays. That's the wrong approach against tsun. They have a small and fast defense. How do you beat a team that has more speed than you? You run right the **** at it just like lsu did. And when those fast midgets meet the rb in the whole you break their ****ing ankles just like lsu did.

msstate7
10-28-2014, 11:18 PM
LSU very well may have beaten OM twice last weekend. It will be interesting to see what kind of swagger OM comes out of the tunnel with Saturday. If Auburn comes out and scores early, and we see OM's same shaky offense that we've seen lately....it may get ugly for OM, and very enjoyable for us.

I think a fast start is crucial for OM. I don't think theyre a very confident team right now. Their offense has been sucking for awhile now and their defense just got physically whipped. I agree that a fast auburn start could open the floodgates.

msstate7
10-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Better listen to cadaver. He knows of what he speaks. Auburn has a lot of get to the edge run plays. That's the wrong approach against tsun. They have a small and fast defense. How do you beat a team that has more speed than you? You run right the **** at it just like lsu did. And when those fast midgets meet the rb in the whole you break their ****ing ankles just like lsu did.

Gonna be the coldest game of the year coming off om's most physical game of the year. OM is beat up on defense. This will be om's 5th straight sec game with no bye... I think om's defense will be a step slower than normal

TUSK
10-28-2014, 11:29 PM
CadaverDawg, I didn't read all of the chicken fightin, but I think you prolly dig on "smashmouth" in the old school way like i do/did...

"smashmouth" aint "smashmouth" anymore....

CadaverDawg
10-28-2014, 11:41 PM
CadaverDawg, I didn't read all of the chicken fightin, but I think you prolly dig on "smashmouth" in the old school way like i do/did...

"smashmouth" aint "smashmouth" anymore....

Truth

SheltonChoked
10-29-2014, 06:52 AM
Cadaver. No coach in the country " doesn't get away from what's working " more than Gus. Remember him running the exact same play over and over and over until it is stopped? I do. If he can get 4-5+ yards he'll run it again. And after it's stopped he'll run the constraint play that looks just like it, but the ball will go somewhere else.

The first 11 for ole miss is very good. But replace prewitt with Hampton, and leave Bryant on the field all day and let's see how they defend this attack. It will take discipline.

And again. Look for more from bad Bo.

Political Hack
10-29-2014, 07:49 AM
LSU ran for over 250. Auburn may hit 300. I'll be surprised if this game is close down the stretch. The Vaught will be empty when the buzzer sounds.

MabenMaroon
10-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Say what?

I would also add that Shon Coleman and Reese Dismukes are a couple of the best OL in the SEC, they can flat blow folks backwards and open some holes. Artis-Payne is a very powerful type RB.

Dawgheadcheese
10-29-2014, 08:31 AM

If LSU beats Alabama, I am fine if OM beats AU. That allows us a L in Tuscaloosa (not expecting that, but just in case) and we go to OM with everything on the line. If we deserve Atlanta, we should be able to win at OM. I think we are a better team.

Hunkaburningdawg
10-29-2014, 08:43 AM
If Tunsil does have a torn bicep (partial), I have to believe that affects his play.

Agree. I just had surgery to repair my torn distal bicep tendon. I have a hard time believing that he can extend him arm, even with a partial tear, and have any strength doing it.

confucius say
10-29-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm cool with people disagreeing. Auburn ran more times East/West than they did North/South the last several games. That's not what I would call "smash mouth" or "downhill", which is my point. If others call it smash mouth and downhill that's fine. I still think OM can use their speed more vs Au than they could vs LSU.

Now you are beginning to see the distinction. The flaw in this whole thread is the idea that a physical run game is exclusive to a 22 personnel, I-formation, downhill attack (like LSU). Auburn's scheme is much more like ours, a spread-based run scheme. However, both us and Auburn are physical in our running game. Not necessarily downhill, but still physical.

Liverpooldawg
10-29-2014, 09:54 AM
I think Aubie wins, but it will be a hard fought game. As long as Auburn doesn't give UM very many short fields I think Auburn has enough D to keep UM from scoring too much. Auburn can pound the ball I think plus UM has to account for Marshall. They also have to stay honest because Auburn can throw the ball better than LSU can. If this was on the plains I think Auburn wins by 10. With it being at UM, Auburn by 3. If Auburn turns it over in their on half more than once, UM will win.

MadDawg
10-29-2014, 10:37 AM
Cadaver. No coach in the country " doesn't get away from what's working " more than Gus.

Except maybe Freezus. He loved going back the same well time and time again.

Coach34
10-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Now you are beginning to see the distinction. The flaw in this whole thread is the idea that a physical run game is exclusive to a 22 personnel, I-formation, downhill attack (like LSU). Auburn's scheme is much more like ours, a spread-based run scheme. However, both us and Auburn are physical in our running game. Not necessarily downhill, but still physical.

spot on

Political Hack
10-29-2014, 12:46 PM
spot on

I'd argue that we're pretty damn "downhill" too. We run straight at them. I don't see a whole lot of sweeps, counters, tosses, etc... in the play calling. We do it some.

mic
10-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Marshall might run for 150+ Saturday..

Barking 13
10-29-2014, 05:05 PM
all I know is, TSUN needs to have at least another loss before egg time.. I think if they get two losses (or more), they will lay down....

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Just like I said last week that the rebels didn't have the "chest" to win and wallace would have a big turnover, the same thing is going to happen this weekend. If they come out slow and auBarn starts to roll, it could get ugly. Really the only hope they have is if aubarn turns the ball over and some of their injured guys are able to play.

Dawgcentral
10-29-2014, 05:41 PM
Avoiding the smash mouth discussion, I think it comes down to the coaching staffs, preparation, and game planning. Hugh Freeze and Womack vs Malzahn and Ellis Johnson? I'll take the latter two.

As someone said, OM is not the most intimidating place to play.

It's hard to ignore the mindset and dissent between the players and staff right now on the OM side. Wallace thinks the play calling sucks,..and I'm sure there's whispering amongst his brethren on the team. Freeze can't let Wallace make snap decisions because they will be the wrong ones.

Auburn is more dangerous on offense. They can run and pass with a good plan and timely play calls even against the OM defense. The OM defense has been bailing out the offense of OM all year. I simply believe Auburn is the better team and they have better coaching.