PDA

View Full Version : Egg bowl scenario

Sacrifice
10-28-2014, 09:44 AM
This is just a scenario I had running through my head and it could have been discussed already and I may have missed it. Now that we have a playoff system, do we look at the regular season differently?
Say we roll into the egg bowl undefeated and OM has 2 loses (LSU and Auburn) at this point we would have the west locked up, even if Auburn wins out because we have the tie breaker on them. Everybody else would have 2 loses. My question is do we play everybody in the egg bowl or rest some players? Besides it being a rivalry game, it wouldn't mean much if we lost it. Our playoffs would actually start with the conference championship game. We win that we move on to the final four. Thoughts????

C222
10-28-2014, 09:49 AM
This is just a scenario I had running through my head and it could have been discussed already and I may have missed it. Now that we have a playoff system, do we look at the regular season differently?
Say we roll into the egg bowl undefeated and OM has 2 loses (LSU and Auburn) at this point we would have the west locked up, even if Auburn wins out because we have the tie breaker on them. Everybody else would have 2 loses. My question is do we play everybody in the egg bowl or rest some players? Besides it being a rivalry game, it wouldn't mean much if we lost it. Our playoffs would actually start with the conference championship game. We win that we move on to the final four. Thoughts????

Ummm. No.

AFDawg
10-28-2014, 09:50 AM
I'll let you take this one, Herm.

http://youtu.be/W42iiCcFbxE

Martianlander
10-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Play everybody-don't ever lose to tsun!

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2014, 09:53 AM
How would you feel if, for rest of eternity, Ole Miss fans got to brag that they beat us in our National Championship year?

I don't want to hear that for the next 60 years

Bully Dee Williams
10-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Sweep the leg!

starkvegasdawg
10-28-2014, 09:55 AM
http://www.epiccarnage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/norway1.jpg

Sacrifice
10-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Haha, I'm starting to get the feeling the answer is HELL NO!!

Goat Holder
10-28-2014, 09:58 AM
How would you feel if, for rest of eternity, Ole Miss fans got to brag that they beat us in our National Championship year?

I think I'd get over it, due to what's in bold.

Stupidity.

Dawg496
10-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Yeah I've thought the same. I wouldn't care if they beat us. I'd like to stay healthy for the SEC Title game.

Goat Holder
10-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah I've thought the same. I wouldn't care if they beat us. I'd like to stay healthy for the SEC Title game.

And is it really that much disrespect to lose to a Top 20 team on the road (assuming Auburn beats them)? It wouldn't drop us much. Win the SEC title and we're still the power that we were before. Take the name off the uniform and most people would glad take 11-1 and playing for an SEC/national title.

Sacrifice
10-28-2014, 10:09 AM
My main thought on this is OMs defense and Daks health. He's been taking a freakin pounding already. Would we play him a half and maybe sit him?

LiterallyPolice
10-28-2014, 10:10 AM
From a purely strategic standpoint... We would still play to win. In that situation, a win in the egg bowl OR a win in the SEC championship would most likely get us into the playoffs. However, losing both would almost guarantee we miss out.

Leroy Jenkins
10-28-2014, 10:13 AM
What if we rest everybody and beat them anyway? "1B" for the entire game. The way they are going they will be down to 30-35 healthy players by then. No knees, no mercy.

Coach34
10-28-2014, 10:16 AM

im gonna have to agree very strongly with this

Sacrifice
10-28-2014, 10:18 AM
What if we rest everybody and beat them anyway? "1B" for the entire game. The way they are going they will be down to 30-35 healthy playets by then. No knees, no mercy.
The Meltdown would be EPIC and the Beaver would have one foot out the door!!

Reason2succeed
10-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Heck no! This is not week 17 of the NFL. You beat OM like a drum and go on with your season. You have to trust your players and believe in them. Basically, you are telling them that they can't beat both. What does that do for the morale and the momentum of the team. If Mullen did that.... I'm offended by the question and wonder whether this is a troll job.

Goat Holder
10-28-2014, 10:29 AM
im gonna have to agree very strongly with this

Ask Tebow if he really gives a f*ck.

Leroy Jenkins
10-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Heck no! This is not week 17 of the NFL. You beat OM like a drum and go on with your season. You have to trust your players and believe in them. Basically, you are telling them that they can't beat both. What does that do for the morale and the momentum of the team. If Mullen did that.... I'm offended by the question and wonder whether this is a troll job.

Yes, but.... say Dak or JOB go down in a game that means nothing in the national picture, so long as we win the SECCG. I can see the OPs point. Guess I would play em the 1st half, then cruise to the finish.

curmudgeon
10-28-2014, 10:39 AM
This isn't the NFL.

Sacrifice
10-28-2014, 10:57 AM
This isn't the NFL.
Your right but this isn't the BCS system either. We don't have to HOPE a group of people pic 2 teams. I'm guessing only one SEC team is gonna get in the top four and it's gonna be the Campion.

Westdawg
10-28-2014, 11:03 AM
What if we rest everybody and beat them anyway? "1B" for the entire game. The way they are going they will be down to 30-35 healthy players by then. No knees, no mercy.

Play everybody-don't ever lose to tsun!

The Meltdown would be EPIC and the Beaver would have one foot out the door!!

you beat them with NO MERCY this go 'round. I would tell Mullen to run the score up as far as he can on them. Let the meltdown rage. Verify and solidify the hold you have on the state of Mississippi in such a way that their team gives up, their fan base quits, and they say NOTHING for the next few years. Let's be honest - they have no capable RB in the stable, they don't have one really committed that can carry that kind of load, they have QB worth a crap coming back, don't really have one committed that will be worth much either, their offensive line is atrocious, and their defense is small and can't take the run, their best S is gone after this year, their top OL will probably sit out all of next year ( my guess), some of their biggest names on D and O are graduating.....this could be a program killer for them if we annihilate them come Thanksgiving. I want to beat them by 40+ OR MORE.
Kind of like David and Goliath. David knew going in that he would be victorious....but it was even more than that. He took the stone, slung it, watched it sink into Goliath's forehead.....the giant fell. All of his army had gone on and on for a long time saying that they would never be defeated....yet here they watched their champion fallen. What David did next made sure that the entire Phillistine army trembled and fled. He stood over Goliath, pulled off Goliath's own sword, killed him with it and cut off his head. The Phillistines FLED. Their dead were strewn all along their path of retreat. Their camp was plundered and all they weapons were taken.
THIS is what needs to happen come Thanksgiving. I have heard the Ole Miss line my whole life. "We are better than MSU"... "They will never really beat us. They just getup for our game" ..."We always get the recruits we want in this state. MSU gets what's left".
Gentlemen and ladies of Maroon and White, it is time to slay the giant and all other things along the path. Destroy Ole Miss.

Leroy Jenkins
10-28-2014, 11:12 AM
you beat them with NO MERCY this go 'round. I would tell Mullen to run the score up as far as he can on them. Let the meltdown rage. Verify and solidify the hold you have on the state of Mississippi in such a way that their team gives up, their fan base quits, and they say NOTHING for the next few years. Let's be honest - they have no capable RB in the stable, they don't have one really committed that can carry that kind of load, they have QB worth a crap coming back, don't really have one committed that will be worth much either, their offensive line is atrocious, and their defense is small and can't take the run, their best S is gone after this year, their top OL will probably sit out all of next year ( my guess), some of their biggest names on D and O are graduating.....this could be a program killer for them if we annihilate them come Thanksgiving. I want to beat them by 40+ OR MORE.
Kind of like David and Goliath. David knew going in that he would be victorious....but it was even more than that. He took the stone, slung it, watched it sink into Goliath's forehead.....the giant fell. All of his army had gone on and on for a long time saying that they would never be defeated....yet here they watched their champion fallen. What David did next made sure that the entire Phillistine army trembled and fled. He stood over Goliath, pulled off Goliath's own sword, killed him with it and cut off his head. The Phillistines FLED. Their dead were strewn all along their path of retreat. Their camp was plundered and all they weapons were taken.
THIS is what needs to happen come Thanksgiving. I have heard the Ole Miss line my whole life. "We are better than MSU"... "They will never really beat us. They just getup for our game" ..."We always get the recruits we want in this state. MSU gets what's left".
Gentlemen and ladies of Maroon and White, it is time to slay the giant and all other things along the path. Destroy Ole Miss.

Sounds like you care more about beating the Johnny rebs than anything else. If we win a NC I don't give a flip what happens in TBFTGE. I wouldn't want to win the battle and lose the war. Ive got bigger fish.

Quaoarsking
10-28-2014, 11:19 AM
No because there's no guarantee we win the SECCG.

12-1 with loss in SECCG = we are almost definitely in
11-2 with loss in SECCG = we are almost definitely out

Westdawg
10-28-2014, 11:38 AM
I want to beat them, just like i want to see the team beat everyone else. But yes, there is a special place from which my desire to see that program go down the toilet into oblivion resides. And honestly, if we lose to them, it won't matter what else we THINK will happen. If you think that having that as the "only blemish" on our record will still allow us to get into the playoff, then you along with all others are probably mistaken. That will be all that the committee and the pollsters to give credence to the idea that the SEC is down this year, and therefore should probably not get in to the playoff...i mean, if MSU is the best that the SEC has this year, and they have a loss, then the conference is down.
No, I want to put on a death-blow show to the nation that we are legit. and destroy the Rebels while doing so.

BulldogBear
10-28-2014, 11:43 AM

And this is why we don't need to expand the playoff. We already have the most meaningful regular season in all of sports in college football. If we're thinking this way on a four team one we don't need 8 or 16.

The point of the four team playoff is not to get the best four in. What they are trying to accomplish is making sure they get the best TWO in. I don't know why more folks don't get that. Leave it at four. Forever.

BulldogBear
10-28-2014, 11:45 AM

And there would be T-shirts. Booo.

HSVDawg
10-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Can't hold back in the Egg Bowl for the following reasons:

1) In that scenario, losing the Egg Bowl makes the SECCG a must-win game.
2) If we lose the Egg and win the SECCG, we still aren't guaranteed the top seed which would have us playing in New Orleans. That would be a big home field advantage for us if we make the playoff.
3) It's Ole Miss. We should never hold anything back against them for any reason.

AlmostPositive
10-28-2014, 12:16 PM
The most likely scenario is an injured, demoralized, infighting Ole Miss team with three losses playing for little more than the hope for a better middle tier bowl.

Having said that, State not playing to win the Egg Bowl at all cost is a silly notion. Beat 'em and and beat 'em hard.

Sacrifice
10-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Right, that's why I'm saying the playoffs would start for us in the SEC championship game. If we lose that game we're out!! With 1 or 2 loses, it won't matter. If we win, there's no way they keep a one lost State team that just won the SEC out of the playoffs. It's not gonna happen. Now there's nothing I'd like more than to skull f*ck Ole Most from one end of the field to the other. But if Daks goes into that game a little banged up but can play, what do you do? Do you play him or sit him? Not as a fan but as a coach?

Reason2succeed
10-28-2014, 12:57 PM
If, if, if,.... Injuries happen. So what? You go for it all! You go after the pretty girl not her friend with low self esteem. At least that's what I live by and it's worked out so far.

Quaoarsking
10-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Right, that's why I'm saying the playoffs would start for us in the SEC championship game. If we lose that game we're out!! With 1 or 2 loses, it won't matter. If we win, there's no way they keep a one lost State team that just won the SEC out of the playoffs. It's not gonna happen. Now there's nothing I'd like more than to skull f*ck Ole Most from one end of the field to the other. But if Daks goes into that game a little banged up but can play, what do you do? Do you play him or sit him? Not as a fan but as a coach?

If we go 12-0 and lose the SECCG to fall to 12-1, we are almost certainly in, possibly still as the #1 seed if FSU loses and Georgia isn't 12-1

dawgs
10-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Undefeated = we are in, no questions asked

1 L in a game we rested starters = putting our fate in the hands of a committee that might not want to reward a team that rested starters when there's a couple of other 1 L teams knocking on the playoff door.

dawgs
10-28-2014, 03:22 PM
And that's not even getting into the momentum/karma/chemistry aspect of it. I feel like more teams screw up momentum/karma/chemistry by resting starters in week 17 than teams playing hard in week 17 lose starters. Seems like every year at least half the teams that mail in a game come out looking rusty and lose their first playoff game while the opponent comes in on a roll from playing out the full season.

DistrictDawg92
10-28-2014, 03:27 PM

You being serious? You win that Egg Bowl and go undefeated in the SEC, which includes beating every SEC west team(which probably in reality has 5 of the top 10 teams), and you are in the playoff, no matter what happens in the Conference championship.

The answer to you're question is not no, but hell no.

RougeDawg
10-28-2014, 03:43 PM
The fact that this is even being brought up and debated is ridiculous in itself. And for that matter, I will not even bother to answer because the answer is as blatantly obvious as the bears "pay for play" recruiting is.

State82
10-28-2014, 04:24 PM
The fact that this is even being brought up and debated is ridiculous in itself. And for that matter, I will not even bother to answer because the answer is as blatantly obvious as the bears "pay for play" recruiting is.

I will defer to RougeDawg on this question.

Dawgcentral
10-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Win them all.