PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to offer you some hope

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Ok... unless you've been living under a rock, you don't need me for hope right now. However, I would like to point out that it was about this time last year when our defense really began to gel and play like a bunch of bad-As.

I know this weekend wasn't the greatest of defensive performances, but it should exciting that this team still has room to improve, instead of us feeling like we are just holding on, while our team is playing at it's best, we walk away with multiple TD victories, while realizing that we can still get better.

Futhermore, my guess is that we see very little of 1B against Bama and Ole Miss. I think our defense is about to step it up, as they should since they should be fresh.

I know the 1A/1B thing is horrible to watch, but I really think it could have an effect in these last 5 games, since 1A will have essentially only played 50% or 60% of the season. Our defense should have fresh legs down the stretch, and, if past years are any indication, they will play their best football then as well.

msstate7
10-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Good point about fresh legs down the stretch

Goat Holder
10-26-2014, 10:22 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8idr3VdgU1qg0u86.gif

LiterallyPolice
10-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Dan is maximizing our chance of having a big season by protecting our players from wear and injuries over the course of the season. Also, he's getting guys meaningful reps. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if more coaches start doing this.

gtowndawg
10-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Good post. We do have great room for improvement and in a weird way that's a positive.

msstate7
10-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Dan is maximizing our chance of having a big season by protecting our players from wear and injuries over the course of the season. Also, he's getting guys meaningful reps. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if more coaches start doing this.
It will only work if you have a very good team. Most teams wouldn't be able to overcome the damage their "1b's" did

War Machine Dawg
10-26-2014, 10:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xHFRtju.gif

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2014, 10:45 PM
It will only work if you have a very good team. Most teams wouldn't be able to overcome the damage their "1b's" did

Agree, you have to have a great offense to make it work. I don't think Ole Miss could do it.

bluelightstar
10-26-2014, 11:02 PM

I will be surprised if more coaches DO start doing this, but I don't want to re-spark this debate haha.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2014, 11:06 PM
I will be surprised if more coaches DO start doing this, but I don't want to re-spark this debate haha.

Bluelightstar,

Just curious, what is the deal with your name?

Did you make up "Bluelightstar' or does it have some significance?

Just curious, because that is a really odd name for anyone, other than a Cowboys' fan I guess, to come up with.

Offshore Dawg
10-27-2014, 06:35 AM

Urban Meyer has talked to Dan about this and is going to implement it at Ohio State. At least that is what I think I read.

Percho
10-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Can anyone remember the Go Team, the White Team and the Chinese Bandits.

Dawgface
10-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Hope you are right. We did the 1b stuff on offense early and got away from that once SEC play started. Perhaps we will do less 1b defense on our key games down the stretch.

Johnson85
10-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Urban Meyer has talked to Dan about this and is going to implement it at Ohio State. At least that is what I think I read.

I think a lot of teams will try to do this, but who is going to have the balls to keep their 1B in when the other team is driving in the fourth quarter to pull within 1 score like we did against UK. You have to have a lot of confidence on both sides of the ball and a good enough 1B to make it feasible.

Even so, Mullen was playing with fire on Saturday. If we hold on for the win, it's great b/c our 1B get high pressure experience and there is that much less wear and tear and 1A. But an inopportune turnover or something that causes us to lose that game, and people are freaking out. Not many coaches are going to be willing to take that chance.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Agree, you have to have a great offense to make it work. I don't think Ole Miss could do it.

What you have to have is quality depth whether it be on the offensive or defensive side of the ball. You're right. It won't work at OM or a lot of other schools with their current talent level.

fishwater99
10-27-2014, 09:04 AM
I think a lot of teams will try to do this, but who is going to have the balls to keep their 1B in when the other team is driving in the fourth quarter to pull within 1 score like we did against UK. You have to have a lot of confidence on both sides of the ball and a good enough 1B to make it feasible.

Even so, Mullen was playing with fire on Saturday. If we hold on for the win, it's great b/c our 1B get high pressure experience and there is that much less wear and tear and 1A. But an inopportune turnover or something that causes us to lose that game, and people are freaking out. Not many coaches are going to be willing to take that chance.

This... Mullen drives all crazy...

Martianlander
10-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Can anyone remember the Go Team, the White Team and the Chinese Bandits.

Yes-Paul Dietzel at LSU. I thought of the same thing. Extremely inventive at the time, now everyone platoons.