PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss delay of game

FlabLoser
10-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Not enough was said about Freeze turning a 42 yard FG attempt into a 47 yard FG attempt.

On the 42 yarder, he didn't send the FG unit out until there was 15 seconds left. That drew the delay of game penalty. That screwup was 100% on Hugh and he took no credit for it in postgame.

Then they lined up for a 47 yarder, LSU calls timeout, and Hugh changes his mind AGAIN. So he sends Bo out to Wallace it up.

I don't know who was more incompetent in the final minute, Bo or Hugh. But I'll say this - Hugh gets paid millions to know how to do this. For all his baptist preacher charisma and crootin, he is in over his head.

TrapGame
10-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Freeze is still a high school football coach because that was high school level coaching right there.

I seen it dawg
10-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Freeze is still a high school girls basketball coach because that was high school level coaching right there.

Fify

TrapGame
10-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Lol! Thanks I seen it!

I seen it dawg
10-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Was just too easy. Teed up

ScoobaDawg
10-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Not enough was said about Freeze turning a 42 yard FG attempt into a 47 yard FG attempt.

On the 42 yarder, he didn't send the FG unit out until there was 15 seconds left. That drew the delay of game penalty. That screwup was 100% on Hugh and he took no credit for it in postgame.

Then they lined up for a 47 yarder, LSU calls timeout, and Hugh changes his mind AGAIN. So he sends Bo out to Wallace it up.

I don't know who was more incompetent in the final minute, Bo or Hugh. But I'll say this - Hugh gets paid millions to know how to do this. For all his baptist preacher charisma and crootin, he is in over his head.

It really is amazing how many things went WRONG in that last 9 seconds. not to mention a couple minutes before with that 4th and 1 FAIL with the quick snap.

Chip
10-26-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm not going to take credit for this thought, as I read it earlier today on a Texas board...however:

Give credit to The Hat, who didn't call a time out to ice the place kicker prior to the delay of game penalty. If Miles had called the time out - which is normally the thing to do - then he would have saved Ole Miss the 5 yard penalty and Ole Miss would have probably gone about attempting the 42 yard field goal.

Instead, The Hat was by all appearances playing Chess, not Checkers. He apparently saw the play clock dwindling and Ole Miss not ready to make the attempt, and didn't make the Time Out call, and let Freeze get the penalty.

The Texas poster attributed Miles' mad genius to the fact that he's been in so many last minute screw ups, that Miles probably is more calm in those situations than most coaches that haven't - like Freeze. No way to know whether Miles truly did hold his finger on the Time Out trigger to allow the penalty, or whether he just hadn't himself thought about calling a time out - but regardless, the delay of game penalty occurred.

whosyourdawgy
10-26-2014, 09:37 PM
The crazy thing, all Freeze had to do was have Bo spike the ball to avoid the delay of game because it was THIRD down! Spike it and kick the 42 yd field goal. I have no doubt that Bo was told to throw the out to Treadwell and if he was covered to throw it in the stands. Why the hell Bo decided to throw it deep is a mystery.

Charlie_Sheen420
10-26-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm not going to take credit for this thought, as I read it earlier today on a Texas board...however:

Give credit to The Hat, who didn't call a time out to ice the place kicker prior to the delay of game penalty. If Miles had called the time out - which is normally the thing to do - then he would have saved Ole Miss the 5 yard penalty and Ole Miss would have probably gone about attempting the 42 yard field goal.

Instead, The Hat was by all appearances playing Chess, not Checkers. He apparently saw the play clock dwindling and Ole Miss not ready to make the attempt, and didn't make the Time Out call, and let Freeze get the penalty.

The Texas poster attributed Miles' mad genius to the fact that he's been in so many last minute screw ups, that Miles probably is more calm in those situations than most coaches that haven't - like Freeze. No way to know whether Miles truly did hold his finger on the Time Out trigger to allow the penalty, or whether he just hadn't himself thought about calling a time out - but regardless, the delay of game penalty occurred.
I saw the play clock winding down from my tv screen, so I knew Miles had to see what was going on. He's smart enough to know there was no need to call a timeout because he was in a win-win there, the clock was either going to expire for a penalty or they would have to rush like hell to get it off, and rushed fgs usually are not pretty haha

smootness
10-26-2014, 09:43 PM
The crazy thing, all Freeze had to do was have Bo spike the ball to avoid the delay of game because it was THIRD down! Spike it and kick the 42 yd field goal. I have no doubt that Bo was told to throw the out to Treadwell and if he was covered to throw it in the stands. Why the hell Bo decided to throw it deep is a mystery.

Because he's Bo Wallace. And as a coach, you have to know that. But regardless of what Wallace was told, it's clear that he wasn't adamantly told not to throw it toward the endzone because that looks like what he was thinking from the second he got the ball. He never even thought about doing anything else. So somebody may have told him to throw it to the flat, but it definitely wasn't clearly explained.

And obviously no coach had any idea about the play clock winding down when the kicking team ran out because nobody was moving any faster than normal. They were at least 5 seconds too late, possibly even more.

Chip
10-26-2014, 09:45 PM
At the time, I thought about the attempt on 3rd down. There's a strategy to do so with some time remaining in case there's a bad snap. The holder can fall on the ball and the team can make another attempt on 4th down. However, in this case the 3rd down attempt was at 42 yards. If there had been no delay of game penalty, and there had been a bad snap the 4th down attempt would have been a 47 or 48 yard kick - so same result as the penalty. The penalty was a major screw up.