PDA

View Full Version : Matching up with Arkansas....

CadaverDawg
10-26-2014, 02:04 PM
How do you guys feel we match up with the Hogs?

I will admit, I hate that they haven't got the SEC monkey off their back yet....it's a matter of time before they beat someone. That being said, I feel like we match up really well with them.

Everything they do is based off of their ability to run the football. Then they like to run play action. I love the fact that our Front 7 is probably the best in the league, and that we have guys like Matt Wells that can cover a TE on play action. And I feel like we should be able to score on their D, but Bama struggled against them (on the road).

So how would you defend them if you were Geoff?

I tend to lean towards the exact gameplan we took to LSU. Make them one dimensional, and most importantly, get ahead early and take them out of their comfort zone of being able to just run, run, run. I would challenge the defense to shut their run game down completely. Make it a challenge to be the first team to just completely shut down that giant OL Ark has. Hopefully we can do it.

How would you attack them offensively if you were Mullen?

I like the idea of coming out and throwing a little more early to get a lead and loosen up the D, and then let the run game and defense take over in the 2nd thru 4th Q's.

How would you game plan?

HoopsDawg
10-26-2014, 02:09 PM
It's a great matchup for us. We can play our base 4-3. We don't have to do anything fancy. You have to watch out for their TE, but their WR's aren't as dangerous as LSU's. And you don't have to worry about their QB beating you with his feet.

Offensively, just keep doing what we've been doing. Stay balanced with about a 60-40 run to pass ratio. Need to take a couple of shots deep. I'd like to see us get the 2 Fred's on some deep routes. Hopefully, we can limit Dak's hits as much as possible. I would love to see him run the ball 10 times or less.

Political Hack
10-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Defensively I wouldn't mind going to single safety if we need help in the box. I think we can stuff the run with 7, but they've got some horses. If they can run the ball against our front 7 I'd throw a safety down there before the first drive is even up. This game will be a good test to see how we'll play against UGA in Atlanta IMO. Have to stop the run first and not give up big plays in PA.

It's going to be hard to get to the QB in PA without blitzing, which can also open up running lanes. I think we're going to see some pretty vanilla sets with a base D and force them to earn every yard they get. I just hope Hughes, Redmond, Calhoun, and Market get a lot of snaps in the secondary.

I seen it dawg
10-26-2014, 02:17 PM
How do you guys feel we match up with the Hogs?

I will admit, I hate that they haven't got the SEC monkey off their back yet....it's a matter of time before they beat someone. That being said, I feel like we match up really well with them.

Everything they do is based off of their ability to run the football. Then they like to run play action. I love the fact that our Front 7 is probably the best in the league, and that we have guys like Matt Wells that can cover a TE on play action. And I feel like we should be able to score on their D, but Bama struggled against them (on the road).

So how would you defend them if you were Geoff?

I tend to lean towards the exact gameplan we took to LSU. Make them one dimensional, and most importantly, get ahead early and take them out of their comfort zone of being able to just run, run, run. I would challenge the defense to shut their run game down completely. Make it a challenge to be the first team to just completely shut down that giant OL Ark has. Hopefully we can do it.

How would you attack them offensively if you were Mullen?

I like the idea of coming out and throwing a little more early to get a lead and loosen up the D, and then let the run game and defense take over in the 2nd thru 4th Q's.

How would you game plan?

They will....but it won't be this team. Will be the other miss team.

CadaverDawg
10-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Defensively I wouldn't mind going to single safety if we need help in the box. I think we can stuff the run with 7, but they've got some horses. If they can run the ball against our front 7 I'd throw a safety down there before the first drive is even up. This game will be a good test to see how we'll play against UGA in Atlanta IMO. Have to stop the run first and not give up big plays in PA.

It's going to be hard to get to the QB in PA without blitzing, which can also open up running lanes. I think we're going to see some pretty vanilla sets with a base D and force them to earn every yard they get. I just hope Hughes, Redmond, Calhoun, and Market get a lot of snaps in the secondary.

Yea, I think tackling will be bigger than ever in this game. I have seen those Arkansas backs break tackles that most backs don't break. We have to get out of this arm tackling, not wrapping up, trying to strip the ball instead of tackling, shit we did yesterday or they will bust some big ones. This is the first game of the year that I will not mind seeing the 1B's in the secondary and LB as much....because what Coman and Evans lack in pass coverage, they are actually pretty good in run support IMO.

CadaverDawg
10-26-2014, 02:19 PM
They will....but it won't be this team. Will be the other miss team.

You're on fire lately, I seen it....so I'm just going to go ahead and take your word for it.

Goat Holder
10-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Many people say that they are night/day at home and on the road. I don't see it that way. Their style of play allows them to be pretty consistent in how they attack the game, similar to Saban's Alabama method. Bielema seems to keep it steady. They'll show up to play, but fortunately for us we will feed off the home crowd and put them away.

I see this as a situation that we dream of, much like LSU. I think they have a better QB, but not by much. We'll need to muscle up to that OL, but with 2 strings of DL, I don't see that as a big issue. They'll have tricks and stuff like that, but I think we'll be OK, even if we do give up a bomb or two.

Every metric and piece of logic says we handle them by 3 TDs. Oh, they blew out Texas Tech. They are terrible. Remember this team also lost to Texas A&M. They are built to beat teams like Ole Miss, not us.

IMissJack
10-26-2014, 03:00 PM
TCU put 82 on Texas Tech yesterday FWIW.

Bothrops
10-26-2014, 04:51 PM
game is in store with the Hogs coming to town. When I look at match ups, I tend to look at how the last 4 or 5 games have gone. Arkansas will give us trouble, we will have to keep a rhythm on offense more often than we did yesterday. We need to watch for deep balls, and prepare to get bruised up in the middle.

TrapGame
10-26-2014, 05:31 PM
game is in store with the Hogs coming to town. When I look at match ups, I tend to look at how the last 4 or 5 games have gone. Arkansas will give us trouble, we will have to keep a rhythm on offense more often than we did yesterday. We need to watch for deep balls, and prepare to get bruised up in the middle.

But, the Hawgs D is the same Kenny Hill threw all over and Chub gashed for a ton of yards. I don't see the Piggy offense keeping up. And I think Towles is a better QB than Allen.

defiantdog
10-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Many people say that they are night/day at home and on the road. I don't see it that way. Their style of play allows them to be pretty consistent in how they attack the game, similar to Saban's Alabama method. Bielema seems to keep it steady. They'll show up to play, but fortunately for us we will feed off the home crowd and put them away.

I see this as a situation that we dream of, much like LSU. I think they have a better QB, but not by much. We'll need to muscle up to that OL, but with 2 strings of DL, I don't see that as a big issue. They'll have tricks and stuff like that, but I think we'll be OK, even if we do give up a bomb or two.

Every metric and piece of logic says we handle them by 3 TDs. Oh, they blew out Texas Tech. They are terrible. Remember this team also lost to Texas A&M. They are built to beat teams like Ole Miss, not us.

What?

raymond21
10-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Im saying it will be the most physical game we play this year. Getting a W and no serious injuries would be a very good day

CadaverDawg
10-26-2014, 05:59 PM
What?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/bfT5p2KYcJo/maxresdefault.jpg

Statefan
10-26-2014, 06:14 PM
What?

i think he is saying that Arkansas's QB is marginally better than LSU's QB (not Dak)

smootness
10-26-2014, 06:38 PM
i think he is saying that Arkansas's QB is marginally better than LSU's QB (not Dak)

That's still dumb.

smootness
10-26-2014, 06:39 PM
I think we match up better with Arkansas than any other SEC team on our schedule, not because they're the worst team we'll face but because their strengths line up exactly with ours. They will try to line up and hit us and run on us, and it won't work. We will shut them down and dominate them from start to finish. Look what Georgia did to them. We are better than Georgia on both sides of the ball.

bulldogcountry1
10-26-2014, 08:20 PM
I think we should go back to the QB rotation like at the beginning of the season. We were really clicking back then.**

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2014, 08:26 PM
As long as our d-line and LBs come to play, we will be just fine and may take them to the wood shed

smootness
10-26-2014, 08:30 PM
If I were Collins, I would challenge our front 7 to keep them short of 100 rushing yards total for the game. Just give them something, some kind of goal to get them to be completely focused and ready to dominate. I'm not worried about us being flat, but it's the only game left on our schedule in which we have the potential to not be fully ready and get caught. We'll be up for Bama and OM, and the other two are auto-Ws no matter what we do.

CadaverDawg
10-26-2014, 08:32 PM
If I were Collins, I would challenge our front 7 to keep them short of 100 rushing yards total for the game. Just give them something, some kind of goal to get them to be completely focused and ready to dominate. I'm not worried about us being flat, but it's the only game left on our schedule in which we have the potential to not be fully ready and get caught. We'll be up for Bama and OM, and the other two are auto-Ws no matter what we do.

Yep, that's exactly my thoughts

Goat Holder
10-26-2014, 08:33 PM
That's still dumb.

What is dumb about that, smart ass? There is nothing dumb about my post.

I seen it dawg
10-26-2014, 08:37 PM

You're the Bo Dirt of this message board. Why don't you go run up the tunnel and disappear.

smootness
10-26-2014, 08:47 PM

You're right; after looking it up, Jennings has been much worse than I thought this year. I knew we handled him, but I thought he had at least put up a few good games. Nope, he's been bad. As much as I believe Allen is mediocre at best, I have to agree with you. Sorry.

Goat Holder
10-26-2014, 09:11 PM
You're the Bo Dirt of this message board. Why don't you go run up the tunnel and disappear.

So, if it wasn't for me, this message board would largely be unsuccessful? I guess if I was an arrogant interweb crusader like yourself I might be inclined to agree.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2014, 09:14 PM
So, if it wasn't for me, this message board would largely be unsuccessful? I guess if I was an arrogant interweb crusader like yourself I might be inclined to agree.

Can you do all of us a favor and chance your profile picture to the guy on the Finebaum. That would really really be awesome

I seen it dawg
10-26-2014, 09:43 PM

What does any of that even mean?