PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Survive and Advance Edition

Coach34
10-26-2014, 11:50 AM
1. Saturday was a letdown game for us. We werent up at all. It showed in our body language. And we won by 14- scoring 45 points. It's nice having the best offense in school history out there each week.

2. We had a great 1st drive offensively. Scripted well and scouted by Mullen. We ran the same play we hit vs Auburn with JRob out of the backfield- but added a curl route to it with MoJo. Nice little wrinkle on it and gives us something to take when JRob is covered down the sideline.

3. Too much confusion by us on the OL yesterday. We just had some dumb damn breakdowns. Malone, Clausell, Senior...Day and Beckwith didnt communicate properly or we just had some really bad brain lock on some plays. Hev gonna be all over some ass in film and on the field this week. Get ready Pigs.

4. We ran the Counter to right on the 2nd drive and JRob didnt cut it up like he should have. Sometimes you to just get up in the damn hole and get 2 yards. He tried to bounce it out and you just cant do that on that play. Loss of a couple on a bad decision.

5. Another ho-hum 304 total yards for Dakota....216/88. We had 406 yards of Total Offense thru 3 Q's and it seemed like we were playing like shit. Finished with 542 yards. Wow. We lead the SEC in Total Offense. Miss State leads the SEC in offense. We're a point behind Georgia for 2nd in Scoring. I said before the season we needed to #RTGDF to have a good offense and to try and lead the SEC. We are currently 2nd in the SEC in rushing. Being able to run like we do opens up big plays in the passing game. Been huge for us this year.

6. JRob is now your SEC rushing leader. He's having a great year. I love watching him run. 23/198 yesterday. Keep the Bowling Ball moving

7. First 5 drives yesterday:

1A Defense- 13 plays on 3 drives- 25 yards and a forced fumble
1B Defense- 17 plays on 2 drives- 146 yards and 10 points

I LOVE that we are building depth. Love, love, love it. I just wish we would do it 3-4 players subbed at a time. Not by entire unit.

8. Gotta give some respect to my boy Stonehands. Morrow took a damn shot when Dakota left him out to dry. He got his ass up and walked off- he didnt lay around. Nice job Joe

9. Towles was impressive yesterday. He is a good QB. He escaped disaster against our rush a few times. As many sacks as we had- it should have been 3-4 more. Not getting him on the 2nd drive of the game led to that long TD pass on Cleveland. We got to close the deal on QB's better.

10. We ran a blitz before half that was sick. We brought 50 off the left defensive edge and looped Preston thru the middle. That is just nasty when you have Ryan Brown coming as well. All 3 of those guys will be getting paid to play football and rush the passer.

11. Give it up for Turtle. Sr who has stuck around and is having success at LB. Yesterday he gets a present to add to his memories. Nice job taking it to the house.

12. We are the only undefeated SEC team left. Celebrate that. Love it. And look at all your SEC brothers and say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPvP67YCgUE

GreenheadDawg
10-26-2014, 12:12 PM
On point number 7. I agree I love that we are getting guys reps but jesus, the 1B secondary is absolutely TERRIBLE. No other way around it. I would love to see total passing yards and TDs scored against 1A vs. 1B. I think we can sub Dline and linebackers but the second string secondary is not even close. They are abysmal in coverage.

engie
10-26-2014, 12:27 PM
I need to rewatch and see if I can pinpoint exactly what's happening back there with the 1Bs, because my first thought definitely is that there's a huge dropoff -- but if you look at it individually, talentwise there isn't much dropoff. Cleveland screwed up yesterday for the first time, when he's been dang good all year. And no one threw at Redmond that I recall. Coman got beat once and so did Jackson but I'm thinking there may have been MAs from "help" on those plays. The breakdowns seem to me to be more in the communication/assignment failures back there between the corners and safeties in that group. Basically, it's young guys being young guys. And we probably got them far more snaps yesterday than we would most of the time...

SDDawg
10-26-2014, 12:35 PM
My only comment is that we were one busted play (Cleveland missed tackle on the sideline) from running away on Kentucky early. They hung around and Towles is a very good player, but I honestly never thought we would lose. Dan never thought it either, you could see it in his eyes. In a perverse sort of way, I think he wanted a game like this one so he could beat our guys up and remind them of how much they have left to do. After jumping out ahead of 3 teams early over the past few games (and 2 of those teams being really good teams), it was good to fight for a win. Bottom line though, State had that game locked up and I don't think the outcome was truly in doubt despite our lackluster effort.

dawgs
10-26-2014, 01:01 PM
I need to rewatch and see if I can pinpoint exactly what's happening back there with the 1Bs, because my first thought definitely is that there's a huge dropoff -- but if you look at it individually, talentwise there isn't much dropoff. Cleveland screwed up yesterday for the first time, when he's been dang good all year. And no one threw at Redmond that I recall. Coman got beat once and so did Jackson but I'm thinking there may have been MAs from "help" on those plays. The breakdowns seem to me to be more in the communication/assignment failures back there between the corners and safeties in that group. Basically, it's young guys being young guys. And we probably got them far more snaps yesterday than we would most of the time...

koman just got beat. and jackson was in a bad matchup that ky exploited.

but to your point about missed assignments and not communicating, seems to me that's why you want to rotate the "1Bs" in with the "1As" a few players at a time. that way you have the more experienced starters in there to make sure "1Bs" know what they are supposed to do and where they are supposed to be.

i too would love to see a breakdown between our 1As and 1Bs.

ScottH
10-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Was complete 1A ever scored on yesterday?

defiantdog
10-26-2014, 01:24 PM
The hybrid linebacker is a great position for us most of the time.... but not lined up against a receiver streaking down the middle of the field. Kentucky simply capitalized on some of our formations yesterday. I think the 1Bs played great for the most part. Yes, Cleveland missed that tackle on the sideline. But they did well for the most part.

We all have to remember.... Kentucky played the game of their lives yesterday. I honestly think we should keep B. Brown and Redmond on the field 100% of the time. Those two are irreplaceable on this defense. They made plays and read the defense like they were in the huddle.... they are both cray talented.

Political Hack
10-26-2014, 01:24 PM
the 1B safeties are absolutely TERRIBLE.

FiFY

Dawgface
10-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Exactly, sub 3-4 at a time. The 1a's can help the younger ones while on the field together. Seems like that would be a great teaching tool for the 1b's.

defiantdog
10-26-2014, 01:29 PM
FiFY

I'll take Market any day. He's a 1B, and he plays his ass off.

Political Hack
10-26-2014, 01:40 PM

yeah. definitely wasn't him. they got their matchups they wanted in man up against our safeties though. We can't let Bama do that, and I hope we don't let Arky do it either. We have to get that corrected, or they'll force us to go into a soft zone.

bluelightstar
10-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Was complete 1A ever scored on yesterday?

Yes, they answered our first TD drive of the 2nd half by going 86 yards in 8 plays against our first team. Mind you it was sparked by us letting Patrick Towles run for 48 damn yards on 1st and 10.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2014, 01:44 PM

I LOVE that we are building depth. Love, love, love it. I just wish we would do it 3-4 players subbed at a time. Not by entire unit.

Glad you finally came around to my line of thinking. Seriously, congrats on not being stubborn and obtuse as you have historically been. Let's hope our defensive coaches exercise the same discretion. We are 122nd out of 125 FBS teams in passing yards allowed.

Political Hack
10-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Glad you finally came around to my line of thinking. Seriously, congrats on not being stubborn and obtuse as you have historically been. Let's hope our defensive coaches exercise the same discretion. We are 122nd out of 125 FBS teams in passing yards allowed.

to be fair, doing that the first 3 weeks and against UTMartin is different than doing it in a riad conference game. I like that we did it then and I hope we do it homecoming, but please Lord don't do that shit against Arkansas next week... Vandy is a toss up as to whether or not they should do it, but being between Bama and OM, I wouldn't mind limiting some guys snaps.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2014, 01:51 PM

We have some safeties that are good against the run, but not so good against the pass. I think we can all agree that our run defense is pretty damn good. So logic tells you that we should play our best 2 cover safeties. I believe Justin Cox and Market are our best 2 cover guys. Market doesn't have Cox's elite athletic skills but he seems to be in the right place more often than not.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2014, 01:55 PM
to be fair, doing that the first 3 weeks and against UTMartin is different than doing it in a riad conference game. I like that we did it then and I hope we do it homecoming, but please Lord don't do that shit against Arkansas next week... Vandy is a toss up as to whether or not they should do it, but being between Bama and OM, I wouldn't mind limiting some guys snaps.

Beni Brown is such a coach on the field. His film study and recognition is off the charts. I hate when he is off the field. B-Mac is our best players so he needs to be out there. Matt Wells can't be exploited in the passing game like a typical LB b/c of his speed and coverage ability-anyone else in that spot gets matched up with a slot receiver and it's over.

Then you've got Redmond, Love, Cox, and Calhoun. Those guys shouldn't leave the field. You can rotate the other safety spot and rotate the heck out of the D-line. But we need to get the other stuff corrected in order to win @ Bama and @ OM.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2014, 01:57 PM
My biggest problem with 1B is that they give up huge plays. Can we just put them in position where the other team has to drive the field?

It doesn't help 1A any when 1B gives up huge plays and barely any time runs off the clock.

If other teams score on 1B, then so be it, but at least make them drive the field and take time off the clock.

dawgs
10-26-2014, 02:19 PM

nothing wrong with building a 4-5 td lead, then making full 1B substitutions against vandy or arkansas.

mic
10-26-2014, 03:34 PM
The one pass Towles made I think against Zach Jackson was perfect.. Jackson had as good of coverage as possible.. Just a QB making a play..
I don't care if we are dead last in passing yards ...
7-0 #1 in the country is all that matters..
The one thing I hope we do in 3 weeks is play Will against Cooper every snap possible..

mic
10-26-2014, 03:40 PM
1. Saturday was a letdown game for us. We werent up at all. It showed in our body language. And we won by 14- scoring 45 points. It's nice having the best offense in school history out there each week.

2. We had a great 1st drive offensively. Scripted well and scouted by Mullen. We ran the same play we hit vs Auburn with JRob out of the backfield- but added a curl route to it with MoJo. Nice little wrinkle on it and gives us something to take when JRob is covered down the sideline.

3. Too much confusion by us on the OL yesterday. We just had some dumb damn breakdowns. Malone, Clausell, Senior...Day and Beckwith didnt communicate properly or we just had some really bad brain lock on some plays. Hev gonna be all over some ass in film and on the field this week. Get ready Pigs.

4. We ran the Counter to right on the 2nd drive and JRob didnt cut it up like he should have. Sometimes you to just get up in the damn hole and get 2 yards. He tried to bounce it out and you just cant do that on that play. Loss of a couple on a bad decision.

5. Another ho-hum 304 total yards for Dakota....216/88. We had 406 yards of Total Offense thru 3 Q's and it seemed like we were playing like shit. Finished with 542 yards. Wow. We lead the SEC in Total Offense. Miss State leads the SEC in offense. We're a point behind Georgia for 2nd in Scoring. I said before the season we needed to #RTGDF to have a good offense and to try and lead the SEC. We are currently 2nd in the SEC in rushing. Being able to run like we do opens up big plays in the passing game. Been huge for us this year.

6. JRob is now your SEC rushing leader. He's having a great year. I love watching him run. 23/198 yesterday. Keep the Bowling Ball moving

8. Gotta give some respect to my boy Stonehands. Morrow took a damn shot when Dakota left him out to dry. He got his ass up and walked off- he didnt lay around. Nice job Joe

9. Towles was impressive yesterday. He is a good QB. He escaped disaster against our rush a few times. As many sacks as we had- it should have been 3-4 more. Not getting him on the 2nd drive of the game led to that long TD pass on Cleveland. We got to close the deal on QB's better.

10. We ran a blitz before half that was sick. We brought 50 off the left defensive edge and looped Preston thru the middle. That is just nasty when you have Ryan Brown coming as well. All 3 of those guys will be getting paid to play football and rush the passer.

11. Give it up for Turtle. Sr who has stuck around and is having success at LB. Yesterday he gets a present to add to his memories. Nice job taking it to the house.

12. We are the only undefeated SEC team left. Celebrate that. Love it. And look at all your SEC brothers and say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPvP67YCgUE

Wooooooooooooo.........