PDA

View Full Version : Playoff rankings question?

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2014, 10:27 PM
This doesn't have anything to do with us, but should Alabama be ranked above Ole Miss in the polls and playoff rankings?

It seems like Bama will be, but Ole Miss beat Bama head to head.

Does our system reward teams that lose earlier in the year?

The only reason I ask this is because, this type of situation could effect us.

HSVDawg
10-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Guess we will find out on Tuesday. My guess is that Bama will be ahead of Ole Miss by virtue of their loss being in Oxford in a game that went down to the wire. Its not like the Oregon vs. Michigan State situation, because Oregon absolutely hammered them in their head-to-head matchup. My opinion is that head-to-head is important, but how and where those games play out should also be considered heavily when comparing two teams. I suspect some members of the playoff committee will agree with that line of thinking and some will look strictly at just the winner / loser of these key matchups. How much they lean one way or the other remains to be seen.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Guess we will find out on Tuesday. My guess is that Bama will be ahead of Ole Miss by virtue of their loss being in Oxford in a game that went down to the wire. Its not like the Oregon vs. Michigan State situation, because Oregon absolutely hammered them in their head-to-head matchup. My opinion is that head-to-head is important, but how and where those games play out should also be considered heavily when comparing two teams. I suspect some members of the playoff committee will agree with that line of thinking and some will look strictly at just the winner / loser of these key matchups. How much they lean one way or the other remains to be seen.

Great answer

TUSK
10-26-2014, 12:19 AM
this question was answered in '11..

one can overcome a "good loss" if it's early... a "bad loss" late is a killer.

Ole Miss just became the "spoiler"...

they'll end up in a shittastic bowl vs Ohio St or the like...

I seen it dawg
10-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Shitastic bowl more like the Belk vs some 6th rate PAC 10 team. OM will have 3 more losses. The meltdown of the house of cards in Oxford started late last night.