PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Baseball Infield

MsStateBaseball
10-24-2014, 03:54 PM
As of right now:

1B--Wes Rea, Fr. Cole Gordon is the 2nd string to me. He throws right, bats left. Pitcher also.
2B--Seth Heck/Matthew Britton, starting is between them. Fr. Ryan Gridley is very solid. Gridley needs to play some to get ready for 2016.
SS--John Holland, you have to go with defense first for this position. But Holland can do it all, he bats left too. I have no problem with Heck here either.
3B--Luke Reynolds/Matthew Britton, between these two. Reynolds has showed out. He is making great defensive plays and makes solid contact at the plate. Both bat left.

I think Rea will start all games with Gordon (or whoever) will play late to give that guy experience for 2016. I can see Britton rotating between 2B and 3B. And I can see Holland and Heck rotate at SS. But Holland needs to bat every game, so DH in order. Whatever combo Cohen goes with, it will be a good one.

Goat Holder
10-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Seems like we have a number of guys we have to have in the lineup. I've seen Holland, Rooker and Humphreys mentioned in this regard. This is obviously in addition to Rea/Collins/Heck, who we know will start unless something crazy happens. Something's got to give. Still have Britton/Vickerson/Brown/Robson coming back and it would almost be criminal not to start those guys, but you simply cannot do all of it.

CadaverDawg
10-24-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm not in the know....but I'll believe Cohen doesn't start the following when I see it...

LF Vickerson
CF Robson
RF Brown
3B Britton
SS Heck
2B ?Holland?
1B Rea
C Collins
DH Humphreys

Maybe not against lefty's, but if we face a RHP in our first game, the above will be your lineup IMO. I think we get a little carried away with guys hitting or fielding well in the fall. Cohen will start game proven guys...at least for the beginning of the year. He loves his veterans.

Tripp McNeely
10-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Cohen loves him some Britton...I just can't see him not starting somewhere.

CadaverDawg
10-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Cohen loves him some Britton...I just can't see him not starting somewhere.

I agree. A Senior that displayed the glove Britton displayed last year..no doubt he starts.

Coach34
10-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Britton is going to start- So the question is- who sits? Heck or Reynolds?

Cohen is not going to sit a Sr that was probably our best player at the end of the season. Britton hit .300 the last 1/3 of the season or more and is our best overall infielder

CadaverDawg
10-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Britton is going to start- So the question is- who sits? Heck or Reynolds?

Cohen is not going to sit a Sr that was probably our best player at the end of the season. Britton hit .300 the last 1/3 of the season or more and is our best overall infielder

Heck isn't sitting.

State82
10-24-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm not in the know....but I'll believe Cohen doesn't start the following when I see it...

LF Vickerson
CF Robson
RF Brown
3B Britton
SS Heck
2B ?Holland?
1B Rea
C Collins
DH Humphreys

Maybe not against lefty's, but if we face a RHP in our first game, the above will be your lineup IMO. I think we get a little carried away with guys hitting or fielding well in the fall. Cohen will start game proven guys...at least for the beginning of the year. He loves his veterans.

I'm in agreement on this. I have a hard time believing that bunch will not start the season unless something really screwy takes place.

Edited to add: Yes, no way I could see Heck riding the pine.

Pioneer Dawg
10-24-2014, 04:39 PM
I can see Vickerson riding pine among the OF. Robson too, yeah I said it.

The Reynolds talk is getting a little out of hand. And by a little, I mean a lot.

CadaverDawg
10-24-2014, 04:46 PM

The Reynolds talk is getting a little out of hand. And by a little, I mean a lot.

Pioneer/Will James sighting. Welcome back from your hiatus.

If any of the ones I listed above sit, it will be Robson and Vick in that order. BUT Vick is John's boy, so I expect him to start. I agree on Reynolds. And Robson would be my most likely to sit out of the lineup listed above.

Todd4State
10-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Fortunately, we have the DH spot where we can use Britton, Heck, or Reynolds.

Todd4State
10-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Pioneer/Will James sighting. Welcome back from your hiatus.

If any of the ones I listed above sit, it will be Robson and Vick in that order. BUT Vick is John's boy, so I expect him to start. I agree on Reynolds. And Robson would be my most likely to sit out of the lineup listed above.

I know this is obvious, but it's going to come down to who performs well in the pre-SEC schedule. Our first two weeks should be fairly easy. Arizona and San Diego are going to present some challenges during the third and fourth week. I don't think anyone is above been sat down other than maybe Gavin Collins. That's a good thing because it means that we have depth.

And to add to this- we have a good mix of LH and RH hitters. We're going to be able to match up based on how the other team presents. If a pitcher struggles against LH hitters, we'll probably go with Vickerson and Brown and vice versa.

Pioneer Dawg
10-24-2014, 04:54 PM

If Matthew Britton is ever the DH........

Goat Holder
10-24-2014, 05:02 PM

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/268/c/d/WAT_gif_by_Ryla_Sehn.gif

CadaverDawg
10-24-2014, 05:04 PM
My head will explode if Britton DH's.

Goat Holder
10-24-2014, 05:08 PM

I agree on Reynolds although first hand reports say he's legit. I just do not trust JUCOs. But if he does start, you know he's for real.

Goat Holder
10-24-2014, 05:11 PM

Yeah that was definitely one of those Todd4State quotes that makes you wonder if he's ever watched the team, or baseball in general, at all. There again, Cohen has started Tyler Fullerton at DH before, so maybe we are the dumb ones.

That said, the DH will likely always be either Humphreys, Rooker or Collins.

Todd4State
10-24-2014, 05:21 PM
I can tell the Britton at DH stuff is about to get blown out of proportion.

If one of those three guys are one of our best hitters relative to everyone else on the team, that's how we get them in the lineup. That's not saying that Britton WILL DH at all.

Britton hit well over .300 to end the year, and he has some power. He just has to figure out how to put it all together. If he doesn't figure out how to put it all together, he sits. It's simple as that.

Pioneer Dawg
10-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Yeah that was definitely one of those Todd4State quotes that makes you wonder if he's ever watched the team, or baseball in general, at all.

Most knowledgeable baseball poster trololol

Equally impressive is the condemnation of any "Rea needs to not start" talk. Believe I was accused of just saying that to bash Rea because I didn't personally like him or something.

The DH/1B/LF spot can be manned by a solid group of Hump Rook Ingram Gordon.. Occasional all midget OF

Todd4State
10-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Yeah that was definitely one of those Todd4State quotes that makes you wonder if he's ever watched the team, or baseball in general, at all. There again, Cohen has started Tyler Fullerton at DH before, so maybe we are the dumb ones.

Have you ever seen Luke Reynolds play?

Todd4State
10-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Equally impressive is the condemnation of any "Rea needs to not start" talk. Believe I was accused of just saying that to bash Rea because I didn't personally like him or something.

The DH/1B/LF spot can be manned by a solid group of Hump Rook Ingram Gordon.. Occasional all midget OF

You left out Daniel Garner. Oh wait...

Goat Holder
10-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Have you ever seen Luke Reynolds play?

No. And I believe I was fairly clear here (http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?23653-2015-Baseball-Infield&p=274771#post274771) that I wasn't claiming to be an expert. By first hand reports, that means it's someone other than me.

We have ALL seen Britton play. We all know he's needed for his defense. If he's in the lineup, it means he has to be manning an infield position. We simply have too many hitters to DH a guy who hit .300 for a portion of a season. Those 3 I mentioned are likely the top candidates for that, since they aren't the best outfielders around.

Goat Holder
10-24-2014, 05:28 PM

I was on that train too, I'm not scared to admit it. But apparently he's gotten better this year and will be one of the engines. Oh well.

Coach34
10-24-2014, 06:08 PM

He did hit .286 the last 22 games of the season- and that includes him going 0-10 to finish

Pioneer Dawg
10-24-2014, 06:20 PM
He did hit .286 the last 22 games of the season- and that includes him going 0-10 to finish

Has nothing to do with his hitting..

You wouldn't DH Ozzie Smith. Having Britton at 3B and DH'ing whoever was playing there would always be a better option.

Pioneer Dawg
10-24-2014, 06:23 PM
I was on that train too, I'm not scared to admit it. But apparently he's gotten better this year and will be one of the engines. Oh well.

We shall see

Coach34
10-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Well, of course his glove always needs to be on the field- just saying he did start to hit and look good at the plate for us

engie
10-24-2014, 06:36 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure you said Rea sucked and needed to be gone... and that the ONLY answer at first was Garner and no one else CAME CLOSE...

Pioneer Dawg
10-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure you said Rea sucked and needed to be gone... and that the ONLY answer at first was Garner and no one else CAME CLOSE...

Uh oh Engine let's play find-a-quote

BTW have you eaten your Crow on me being right about Fitts not starting yet

CadaverDawg
10-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Oh I'm as big a Britton fan as any. He still should never DH.

Pioneer Dawg
10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
just saying he did start to hit and look good at the plate for us

As me you and Cad predicted would happen

CadaverDawg
10-24-2014, 09:08 PM
As me you and Cad predicted would happen

+1

Political Hack
10-24-2014, 09:24 PM
C: Collins
1: Rea
2: ?
SS: Heck
3: Britton
OF: Brown
OF: Vickerson
OF: ?
DH: ?

That's the likely defensive line up IMO. 2-3 open spots. Let them battle for it.

I seen it dawg
10-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Rea?? Pioneer will come unglued.

engie
10-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Uh oh Engine let's play find-a-quote

BTW have you eaten your Crow on me being right about Fitts not starting yet

So you are denying beating us over the head with that all season last year?

You want me to "eat crow" on something I didn't argue -- based on what's happened in the first 2 weeks of fall? EL O EL double fail

engie
10-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Rea?? Pioneer will come unglued.

He never said a negative word about Rea, don't you know?1!1?

Pioneer Dawg
10-24-2014, 09:46 PM
1: Rea
2: ?
SS: Heck
OF: Brown
OF: Vickerson
OF: ?
DH: ?

That's the likely defensive line up IMO. 2-3 open spots. Let them battle for it.

1: Ingram/Gordon
2: Heck
SS: Holland
OF: Rooker
OF: Smith
OF: Brown/Vick/Robson/Swinarski
DH: Hump

How I see it right now. I'll believe the Rea talk when I see it.. Him and Luke Reynolds had a couple bad K's today. Reynolds swung at 3 straight curveballs in the dirt, and a fourth to start his next AB. Pedro Cerrano cannot be in our lineup. Gotta get that fixed.