PDA

View Full Version : Ain't trying to throw the Voodoo Jinx on us...

Dawg61
10-24-2014, 12:16 AM
but say we do the unimaginable and make the first ever playoff I am assuming we'd be placed in the Sugar Bowl game in New Orleans right? Would they possibly put us in the Rose Bowl game? Say it's MSU, Auburn/Ole Miss/Bama/Georgia, Florida State, Oregon. Only Oregon will want to travel to the Rose Bowl. So who gets put in the Rose Bowl if three or even four teams are all East of the Mississippi? It's our duty as MSU alumni to rally up and attend this game. 60,000 MSU maroon I expect. 60,000 cowbells I also expect. Then we win and get to do it all over again in the Cowboys stadium. College football has no idea what they are about to see if we make it to the playoff. It'll be the most ridiculous playoff EVER!!! Start saving pennies boys. Start planning for weeks off work. Start making friends. This shit is gonna be expensive and worth every damn penny!! Hail State

TheRef
10-24-2014, 12:23 AM
but say we do the unimaginable and make the first ever playoff I am assuming we'd be placed in the Sugar Bowl game in New Orleans right? Would they possibly put us in the Rose Bowl game? Say it's MSU, Auburn/Ole Miss/Bama/Georgia, Florida State, Oregon. Only Oregon will want to travel to the Rose Bowl. So who gets put in the Rose Bowl if three or even four teams are all East of the Mississippi? It's our duty as MSU alumni to rally up and attend this game. 60,000 MSU maroon I expect. 60,000 cowbells I also expect. Then we win and get to do it all over again in the Cowboys stadium. College football has no idea what they are about to see if we make it to the playoff. It'll be the most ridiculous playoff EVER!!! Start saving pennies boys. Start planning for weeks off work. Start making friends. This shit is gonna be expensive and worth every damn penny!! Hail State

I believe #1 v. #4 is in the Rose Bowl and #2 v. #3 is in the Sugar Bowl. Winner of each plays in Jerry's World this year.

Dawg61
10-24-2014, 12:32 AM
I believe #1 v. #4 is in the Rose Bowl and #2 v. #3 is in the Sugar Bowl. Winner of each plays in Jerry's World this year.

Well that's stupid. Basketball seeds the 1-4 with the 1 getting the closest location to their campus. Football should do the same. But I guess basketball only does that for the games before the Final Four.

Todd4State
10-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Well that's stupid. Basketball seeds the 1-4 with the 1 getting the closest location to their campus. Football should do the same. But I guess basketball only does that for the games before the Final Four.

I'm sure they will tweak some things like that as they go along in the future. As far as the Sugar Bowl, even though we're number one in both polls, I guess the committee could still seed us as number two if they so choose. I think it would be cool to go to Pasadena myself.

Reason2succeed
10-24-2014, 04:12 AM
I'm not saying you are wrong BUT I haven't heard anything about seeding. However, I have heard that consideration would be about travel distance. I suspect that if the season ended today we would play Florida State in New Orleans and Oregon would play Michigan State/Other SEC team/whatever the Bog 12 trots out in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl.

FlabLoser
10-24-2014, 06:05 AM
I heard the higher seed gets to pick the stadium closest to them. Or maybe the committee puts them in the stadium closest to them.

That would make sense considering bowl games are supposedly all equal now.

Bothrops
10-24-2014, 06:09 AM
I would love for us to go to Pasadena!

Dawgtini
10-24-2014, 06:37 AM
I heard the higher seed gets to pick the stadium closest to them. Or maybe the committee puts them in the stadium closest to them.

That would make sense considering bowl games are supposedly all equal now.
This. I read somewhere that this is what they do.

shoeless joe
10-24-2014, 06:40 AM
I would love for us to go to Pasadena!

We'd only be 13 years late!

Dawg496
10-24-2014, 06:50 AM
They've said on ESPN the #1 seed will get the game closest to them. The 2 vs 3 will automatically be played at the other location.

engie
10-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Seriously? Who would want to be the first SEC school to play in the Granddaddy of Them All since Alabama in 1946?!**

There is no such thing as travel concerns for State fans in the scenario that we make the playoff. I don't care if you are talking Pasadena or if you are talking Antarctica.

Offshore Dawg
10-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Seriously? Who would want to be the first SEC school to play in the Granddaddy of Them All since Alabama in 1946?!**

There is no such thing as travel concerns for State fans in the scenario that we make the playoff. I don't care if you are talking Pasadena or if you are talking Antarctica.

This ^^^you can't take the chance on missing this, Don't know when or if it would come around again.

Johnson85
10-24-2014, 08:08 AM

Pretty sure the only rule is that the committee won't put the #1 seed in a road environment. I think you'll see the #1 get the seed closest two them unless you end up in a situation where (1) that would still put them in a road environment or (2) that would leave both the #2 & #3 far away from the bowl location. I don't think either of those will be in play, unless the committee believes that putting say a #1 FSU versus a #4 Bama in the Sugar Bowl constitutes a road environment for FSU. I think most of the plausible ways for scenario two to happen would end up putting the #1 in a road environment if they tried to set upt he bowls where #2 and #3 would be close to their location.

Covercorner2
10-24-2014, 08:08 AM
The #1 seed gets to pick. If it's us, we will play in NOLA...

Dawg61
10-24-2014, 08:24 AM

Pasadena is great and all but I want to go to the Cowboys stadium and I think our Louisiana QB in New Orleans in front of a massive intimidating fan base all ringing cowbells in a dome gives MSU a huge advantage.

Lloyd Christmas
10-24-2014, 08:27 AM

My concern (and I think a concern for all fanbases) is that most people will have to take a gamble on which game they want to go to. Do I go to the first round or take the risk that we make the final and go there? It's expensive as hell to make a trip to both Pasadena and Dallas.

engie
10-24-2014, 08:31 AM
My concern (and I think a concern for all fanbases) is that most people will have to take a gamble on which game they want to go to. Do I go to the first round or take the risk that we make the final and go there? It's expensive as hell to make a trip to both Pasadena and Dallas.

Our entire fanbase would make them both happen. This ain't a budget issue. Plus, the vast majority of us can be in Dallas prettymuch just as quickly as we can be in Atlanta -- and it's basically an identical trip to the SEC title game...

People thought we brought a bunch of people to Omaha -- They have no idea what would happen in any of the above scenarios.

engie
10-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Pasadena is great and all but I want to go to the Cowboys stadium and I think our Louisiana QB in New Orleans in front of a massive intimidating fan base all ringing cowbells in a dome gives MSU a huge advantage.

Assuming we get the bells in the playoffs is probably a pretty big stretch at this point. It's a whole different set of circumstances to consider than our usual bowl games...

Lloyd Christmas
10-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Our entire fanbase would make them both happen. This ain't a budget issue. Plus, the vast majority of us can be in Dallas prettymuch just as quickly as we can be in Atlanta -- and it's basically an identical trip to the SEC title game...

People thought we brought a bunch of people to Omaha -- They have no idea what would happen in any of the above scenarios.

IF we make the playoff and go to the sugar then I will sure as hell go to both of them. Hell I live in ATL so that would be like 3 in a row for me.

blacklistedbully
10-24-2014, 10:35 AM
If I had a choice of playing FSU in the Sugar versus Oregon in the Rose, I'd take FSU in the Sugar. I'd much rather not play an Oregon that has played in the Rose Bowl plenty before, and could bring plenty of fans.

Besides, I think FSU is overrated, so, if we finish #1, and them #2, I'm not so sure they wouldn't actually be the weakest of the playoff teams.

Dawg496
10-24-2014, 10:50 AM
If we make the playoff, I hope we're either seeded #1 or #4. NOLA would be great for us and a much better chance for our team to advance. Plus bourbon street after a win would be epic.

Johnson85
10-24-2014, 11:00 AM

We are in a great position because Dallas is not that hard of a trip for most of our fan base. If we end up in the Sugar, we should have a ton of fans that it's not even a consideration for. If we were to have Atlanta, then Pasadena, then Dallas, there would obviously be a much bigger group of fans that had to consider finances. I would think there'd still be plenty of fans to sell all our allotment and then some at each game; it will just make a difference as to which fans fill the seats and maybe a slight difference in the cost of tickets on the secondary market.

Cabo32
10-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Man...Ito different from Omaha...1-sec championship...all included for 2 people should be $2000
2-1st playoff game..say it is at the rosebowl...that's gonna be damn near twice as much
3- Dallas...that's at least 3k for two people

Look if we do it, I'm gonna try to make it to all of them...but damn. You're looking at or around 10k plus time off of work to goto all these big games

Dawg496
10-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Yeah this isn't going to be quite like Omaha.

At the moment, the cheapest tickets available for each potential postseason game:

SEC Championship - $300
Sugar Bowl - $280
Natty - $900

You're talking $1500 just in tickets to those three games. For a couple, it'll easily be $5k when counting travel costs.

Cabo32
10-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Man..if me and my lady friend could goto all 3 for 5k then sign me up immediately...but like you found out 300, 280, 900 x2,.thats 3k just in tickets.

I've talked to some of my friends and they're all in the same boat: definitely going to the sec championship and possibly taking a chance of not going to the first playoff game in order to goto the national championship.

I don't know what my plan will be...I know that I'm going to try my hardest to make it to all of them..if we do end up in the sugar bowl..well my decision will be much easier

Dawg61
10-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Man..if me and my lady friend could goto all 3 for 5k then sign me up immediately...but like you found out 300, 280, 900 x2,.thats 3k just in tickets.

I've talked to some of my friends and they're all in the same boat: definitely going to the sec championship and possibly taking a chance of not going to the first playoff game in order to goto the national championship.

I don't know what my plan will be...I know that I'm going to try my hardest to make it to all of them..if we do end up in the sugar bowl..well my decision will be much easier

60,000 fans X $10,000 = $600 million

Dawg496
10-24-2014, 01:29 PM

You can probably make it work for $5k if you book now. $3k in tickets right now, plus 3 nights at $200 a night = $3600. $400 in gas driving back and forth from Atlanta, NOLA, Dallas. Leaves you a grand for food and alcohol.

engie
10-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Man...Ito different from Omaha...1-sec championship...all included for 2 people should be $2000
2-1st playoff game..say it is at the rosebowl...that's gonna be damn near twice as much
3- Dallas...that's at least 3k for two people

Look if we do it, I'm gonna try to make it to all of them...but damn. You're looking at or around 10k plus time off of work to goto all these big games

If it costs you that much to go to these games, and you are on a budget, you are doing it wrong. Very, very wrong...

engie
10-24-2014, 02:04 PM
I view it as a Rose Bowl being a bucket list item. There is literally nothing like it. One that I'll never likely do unless I'm invested in the teams playing there.

I've been to a couple SEC Title games, a couple of Sugar Bowls, and a couple games at Jerryworld... Granted it'd all be very special if MSU played in them, none of them could touch the Rose Bowl for me...

Dawg496
10-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Not saying I won't go, because I sure as hell will be there whether we play in NOLA, Pasadena or Dubai, but it's not gonna be cheap. And I'd be surprised if we have more than 20k at all three.

Todd4State
10-24-2014, 02:32 PM
This is one of my quirky things I guess, but it has been a dream of mine to watch MSU play in the Sugar Bowl. The Rose Bowl would be cool to go to and I certainly wouldn't complain about it, but the Sugar Bowl is more of a "SEC" bowl- and for the longest time the most prestigious bowl for a SEC team to go to.

So, for that reason if I had to choose I probably would pick the Sugar Bowl over the Rose Bowl. Plus, I can drive to the Sugar Bowl pretty easily.

If we go to Dallas, that's not a big deal either way for me as far as traveling goes.

Todd4State
10-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Not saying I won't go, because I sure as hell will be there whether we play in NOLA, Pasadena or Dubai, but it's not gonna be cheap. And I'd be surprised if we have more than 20k at all three.

If it's NOLA and Dallas, all we would have to do is LaQuinta Inn it for a night or maybe two if we want to stretch it out plus gas. I bet I could do those trips for around 600-700 dollars apiece easily with around 400 dollars being for the ticket. Even if I am off on that, it can be done for less than 1000 including the ticket very easily.

Dawg496
10-24-2014, 02:44 PM
If it's NOLA and Dallas, all we would have to do is LaQuinta Inn it for a night or maybe two if we want to stretch it out plus gas. I bet I could do those trips for around 600-700 dollars apiece easily with around 400 dollars being for the ticket. Even if I am off on that, it can be done for less than 1000 including the ticket very easily.

The Dallas ticket will be at least $900 as it stands on StubHub. I'm sure the school will sell them for teacher but I'm not sure how high you have to be to qualify. I'm right inside 1000 but running the numbers I don't think its gonna work out.

Cabo32
10-24-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm saying Id spend at least 10k to goto all three games..luckily I have the funds to do it..time off from the job that rewards me with those funds maybe an issue...
But if you think we have 60k that are willing to spend anywhere between 7-12k over a months time to go watch football games...then you my friend, are wrong....very very wrong

engie
10-24-2014, 02:47 PM
The Dallas ticket will be at least $900 as it stands on StubHub. I'm sure the school will sell them for teacher but I'm not sure how high you have to be to qualify. I'm right inside 1000 but running the numbers I don't think its gonna work out.

Don't buy tickets on stubhub...

The Sugar Bowl gives out a gizillion "free" tickets to Allstate. That's the manner to actually go about getting them.