PDA

View Full Version : Hud to SMU?

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2014, 03:23 PM
no legs on it, just mentioned as a candidate now that jones left. Mach Brown is the big fish being targeted.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/columnists/bill-nichols/20141022-sources-smu-floats-lengthy-4myear-offer-to-former-texas-coach-mack-brown-as-commitment-to-upgrading-football-program-continues.ece

msstate7
10-23-2014, 03:24 PM
I wonder if a year off would recharge brown. Brown was an outstanding coach at one time

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2014, 03:31 PM
I wonder if a year off would recharge brown. Brown was an outstanding coach at one time

I'm sure Florida wouldn't mind letting smu pay 1mil for BOOM to going back to being his DC either...

deltadawg99
10-23-2014, 04:25 PM
May not be a bad move to be honest. Hud had kinda peaked at ULL.

dawgs
10-23-2014, 05:38 PM
I think smu is going to spend a lot of money on someone in hopes of building the program enough to get into the big 12 discussion before the big 5 conferences separate from everyone else. They aren't wanting to get left behind.

Amadden0408
10-23-2014, 05:47 PM
May not be a bad move to be honest. Hud had kinda peaked at ULL.

I don't think SMU would even give Hud a second look. His shtick has worn thin with people I know that are big ULL supporters (I live in Lafayette), and I don't see it working at a place that has much higher aspirations, or at least should, than ULL ever will. Plus, from recent history I'm not sure Hud has the recruiting connections to get it done in Texas.

codeDawg
10-23-2014, 06:06 PM

I think Brown would be an awful hire. He lost touch with the modern game in so many areas. He has a lot of value, but only as a CEO coach who can hire some up and coming coordinators. Of course, that's what he tried at UT, and that wasn't working, so...

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2014, 06:58 PM
I think Brown would be an awful hire. He lost touch with the modern game in so many areas. He has a lot of value, but only as a CEO coach who can hire some up and coming coordinators. Of course, that's what he tried at UT, and that wasn't working, so...

I agree, it all comes down to if he can pull the wool over the eyes of SMU. But he really would have to only be the ceo and leave hands off everything else. Muschamp would be the auto hire for DC if they are serious.

Aces High
10-23-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't think SMU would even give Hud a second look. His shtick has worn thin with people I know that are big ULL supporters (I live in Lafayette), and I don't see it working at a place that has much higher aspirations, or at least should, than ULL ever will. Plus, from recent history I'm not sure Hud has the recruiting connections to get it done in Texas.

Quite opposite. Their boosters and AD love him.

dawgs
10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
I agree, it all comes down to if he can pull the wool over the eyes of SMU. But he really would have to only be the ceo and leave hands off everything else. Muschamp would be the auto hire for DC if they are serious.

they'd never be able to outbid a&m (or michigan or any other big 5 program with elite $$ looking for a DC).

MabenMaroon
10-23-2014, 07:38 PM
they'd never be able to outbid a&m (or michigan or any other big 5 program with elite $$ looking for a DC).

Don't kid yourself about SMU, they have some extremely wealthy alumni, their top 25 wealthiest alumni would probably rank 1 through 25 overall in most of SEC states excepting Texas. They are a privately funded school and do not have to answer to anybody but themselves when it comes to spending money.

msstate7
10-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Don't kid yourself about SMU, they have some extremely wealthy alumni, their top 25 wealthiest alumni would probably rank 1 through 25 overall in most of SEC states excepting Texas. They are a privately funded school and do not have to answer to anybody but themselves when it comes to spending money.

I would think smu would have to really, really outbid aTm, Michigan, etc to get muschamp

dawgs
10-23-2014, 07:56 PM
I would think smu would have to really, really outbid aTm, Michigan, etc to get muschamp

Yep. Muschamp ain't gonna look to make it more difficult to wash the stink of his HC tenure off. He'll probably be making around $1M/season to coach up a&m's 4* and 5* talent on D by January.

Reason2succeed
10-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Along with being a Mississippi State undergraduate alum I am also a graduate alum of SMU. TRUST ME they will be looking for someone with a certain polish to lead their program. There can be absolutely no insinuation that SMU has returned to the ways that got them the death penalty. SMU has big money but the question is how passionate are they about their program. Never thought I would say this here but "Poney Up!"

ScoobaDawg
10-24-2014, 12:52 AM
Along with being a Mississippi State undergraduate alum I am also a graduate alum of SMU. TRUST ME they will be looking for someone with a certain polish to lead their program. There can be absolutely no insinuation that SMU has returned to the ways that got them the death penalty. SMU has big money but the question is how passionate are they about their program. Never thought I would say this here but "Poney Up!"

really?
"Pony up" unless you are referring to them "Poney Up" to spending money for a coach.

and honestly screw SMU.

Reason2succeed
10-24-2014, 04:16 AM
really?
"Pony up" unless you are referring to them "Poney Up" to spending money for a coach.

and honestly screw SMU.

That's the line Pony Up as in $$$. And I agree they are filthy rich and the smell of it is putrid. I'm tankful for my degree for their institution but I bleed maroon and white exclusively. Their just a little too similar to the bears and delusional ideology to me. Hell, they built the library of delusion there.

Johnson85
10-24-2014, 08:15 AM

What is his shtick other than turning a perennial loser into an upper level sun belt team?

Johnson85
10-24-2014, 08:16 AM

When was Brown a good coach? At UNC? I never remember him doing anything but underachieving at UT. His bets accomplishment was not screwing up a team with Vince Young.

msstate7
10-24-2014, 08:30 AM
When was Brown a good coach? At UNC? I never remember him doing anything but underachieving at UT. His bets accomplishment was not screwing up a team with Vince Young.
National champs and runner up to bama despite losing colt McCoy very early in game.

Saban career winning % = 74
Brown career winning % = 67

Browns % got pulled down toward the end of his career. I'm sure saban's will too.

Oh and that Vince young team was the underdog to a very good usc team coached by Pete Carroll. Don't discount that win

Johnson85
10-24-2014, 10:55 AM
National champs and runner up to bama despite losing colt McCoy very early in game.

Saban career winning % = 74
Brown career winning % = 67

Browns % got pulled down toward the end of his career. I'm sure saban's will too.

Oh and that Vince young team was the underdog to a very good usc team coached by Pete Carroll. Don't discount that win

I'd like to see what his career win percentage is at UT compared to Saban's at LSU and Bama. He obviously couldn't have been a terrible coach and made it to UT, but it seems like UT (especially when A&M was still the little brother) should have been as easy of a place to win as anywhere. I think it's telling that TCU, A&M and Baylor have all basically pulled even with UT during Brown's tenure. Granted that was mostly toward the tail end, and maybe I just don't remember all he accomplished prior to the Vince Young year, but it seemed he was getting good performance when everything would predict great performance if he wasn't getting outcoached.

msstate7
10-24-2014, 11:12 AM
I'd like to see what his career win percentage is at UT compared to Saban's at LSU and Bama. He obviously couldn't have been a terrible coach and made it to UT, but it seems like UT (especially when A&M was still the little brother) should have been as easy of a place to win as anywhere. I think it's telling that TCU, A&M and Baylor have all basically pulled even with UT during Brown's tenure. Granted that was mostly toward the tail end, and maybe I just don't remember all he accomplished prior to the Vince Young year, but it seemed he was getting good performance when everything would predict great performance if he wasn't getting outcoached.

Brown was at Texas for 16 seasons. He was 168-48 (78%). 21 of his 48 losses were in his last 4 seasons.

Saban has coached lsu and bama for 13.5 years. His record is 133-32 (81%).

Where saban separates himself is national championships. Saban has 4 to Brown's 1. Saban did beat brown for 1 though in which colt McCoy was injured very early. Had brown won that game, it's 3-2. The score was 37-21 in that game, but Texas' backup qb threw 4 ints.

I think you're really slighting Mack brown

Johnson85
10-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Brown was at Texas for 16 seasons. He was 168-48 (78%). 21 of his 48 losses were in his last 4 seasons.

Saban has coached lsu and bama for 13.5 years. His record is 133-32 (81%).

Where saban separates himself is national championships. Saban has 4 to Brown's 1. Saban did beat brown for 1 though in which colt McCoy was injured very early. Had brown won that game, it's 3-2. The score was 37-21 in that game, but Texas' backup qb threw 4 ints.

I think you're really slighting Mack brown

Yeah, maybe I only remember him after his peak; those numbers are better than I would have thought and closer to Saban's. I think that still shows a pretty big difference between him and Saban though. 78% in the big 12 is a lot different than 81% in the SEC. Assuming Saban doesn't similarly fall off a cliff over the next 2 1/2 years. And Saban took over two rebuilding jobs (granted at LSU and Bama) and I know at least 6 of his losses came in his first season at Bama. Can't remember his record after his first year in LSU. And while UT losing McCoy put them out of the championship game, I think Bama also lost focus when they felt like it was in the bag.

But you have convinced me I was selling him short with respect to his first 12 seasons.