PDA

View Full Version : This UNC Academic Scandal is starting to look big.

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Glad it happened in The Education State and not here. Hope Byron Sanders got the education he was promised.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/unc-report-academic-fraud/index.html

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Interesting that these ACC schools continue to have academic issues. I believe FSU and Miami have had this same issue in the past.

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2014, 11:45 AM
And they keep saying "no one high up in academics or athletics knew anything". That is some strong kool-aid they are drinking in Chapel Hill.
3,100 athletes over 18 years? That's 172 per year on average. No way that the higher ups didn't know.

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 12:01 PM
And they keep saying "no one high up in academics or athletics knew anything". That is some strong kool-aid they are drinking in Chapel Hill.
3,100 athletes over 18 years? That's 172 per year on average. No way that the higher ups didn't know.

That'd be an LOL if it wasn't also a TRAGEDY.

Technetium
10-23-2014, 02:41 PM
The odd thing is, the outrage here is much less than you would expect. But, that may be because this has been a story for a few years now, with most of the details being known/suspected before this latest report was released.

BulldogBear
10-23-2014, 02:46 PM
The odd thing is, the outrage here is much less than you would expect. But, that may be because this has been a story for a few years now, with most of the details being known/suspected before this latest report was released.

Oh, there is plenty. I would support the complete death penalty of all sports at UNC for a four year period and probation of some sort for the conference.

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 02:49 PM

The thing that will outrage The Education State will be giving up those titles if the NCAA comes down on it. It certainly looks like they should.

Acid mouth
10-23-2014, 03:02 PM
I would say this is definitely a huge scandal. I'm sure Roy Williams will deny, deny, deny, but this should result in vacating the '05 and '09 National Championships. It's really hard to imagine that none of the higher powers in the AD knew this was going on. This is SO MUCH bigger than just a sports story. I have several question so anyone feel free to answer. Does this dilute the value of a UNC degree? Would the professor teaching these fictitious classes be getting financially compensated for doing nothing? How would this not be defrauding the government and wouldn't this scandal result in jail time for the people involved?

Dawghouse
10-23-2014, 03:21 PM
to answer at least one question. i believe the professor was charged but they dropped the charges in exchange for his testimony.

FlabLoser
10-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Wetzel hit it out of the park.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-unc-scandal-is-ncaa-president-mark-emmert-s-chance-at-redemption-160034290.html

IMissJack
10-23-2014, 08:53 PM
I haven't liked Roy Williams since he got a MD fan kicked out of a game for yelling during free throws or something. No way they did not know this was going on.

Technetium
10-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Oh, there is plenty. I would support the complete death penalty of all sports at UNC for a four year period and probation of some sort for the conference.

Sorry, by "here" I meant in NC. I live in Durham, and I expected it to be a hotter topic in the area recently than it is. While the sports radio folks talk about it a lot, even they have the "So, what now? What good are punishments now?" mentality rather than the "UNC MUST BE PUNISHED!!!" mindset.