PDA

View Full Version : Basketball

msstate7
10-23-2014, 09:21 AM
I know we're #1 in football and I'm enjoying every bit of it, but I'm excited about our basketball team this year.

I really think with the addition of ndoye and Daniels it will allow sword and ware to have really good seasons.

What should we expect from Dunlap, black, and Houston this year? Will they be ready to contribute meaningful minutes?

Also really liked how Fred finished the year last season. Hopefully he picks up from there and gets even better.

I expect us to be in contention for NIT and land Malik. Next season with a veteran team and a young superstar, I expect an NCAA appearance.

Overly optimistic?

thf24
10-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Optimistic, but I wouldn't say overly so. Pretty much my thinking as well. With our vastly improved post depth and Daniels (supposedly our best player) finally taking the court, we should be a whole lot better before X's and O's even come into play. I think NIT is a pretty reasonable expectation. From Dunlap I'd like to see 5-10 minutes a game to provide a spark if we need some shooting, but I'm not sure he'll be ready physically to play adequate defense for long stretches. Black will at least be able to provide some backup minutes if Ware or Ndoye get in foul trouble, but I've heard he may surprise us with more. I've heard Houston is the best of the bunch and will play a good bit.

shannondawg
10-23-2014, 12:24 PM
I hope not.

I know we're #1 in football and I'm enjoying every bit of it, but I'm excited about our basketball team this year.

I really think with the addition of ndoye and Daniels it will allow sword and ware to have really good seasons.

What should we expect from Dunlap, black, and Houston this year? Will they be ready to contribute meaningful minutes?

Also really liked how Fred finished the year last season. Hopefully he picks up from there and gets even better.

I expect us to be in contention for NIT and land Malik. Next season with a veteran team and a young superstar, I expect an NCAA appearance.

Overly optimistic?

engie
10-23-2014, 01:20 PM
All seems perfectly logical to me...

Look for Daniels to be our best player. Look for Houston to contend for that title. If Sword and Thomas see the same amount of shooting improvement again this year, we are going to be hell on wheels and way the heck better than anyone(even you) is projecting. I'm not saying it happens because it's hard to see that much improvement over multiple seasons and would essentially have totally changed those guys' skillsets in their time here. People don't seem to realize that from 3, Thomas went from 23.8 to 31.9% and Sword went from 19.4 to 27.3% last year. Do that again, we've added 40% and 35.2% shooters in players that alot of people have already chalked up as outside shooting failures.

Look for us to run 3/4 court pressure almost all the time this year. It's going to be ALOT more pressing now that we've got able bodies on the bench and our true defensive identity finally begins to step into the spotlight...

Coach34
10-23-2014, 01:24 PM
PG- Ready
SG- Sword
PF- FTF
PF- Daniels
C- Ware

Thats a solid starting 5...one that can play with most teams, especially at home

Then add in Roq Johnson, Bloodman, Houston, Endo....we have 4 more guys that can help us. That's 9 players. We'll be fine

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 01:30 PM
I like the optimism. As many have said, fortunes in hoops can turn quickly since you only need a few players, compared to fb and baseball.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Black is going to contribute too. He may have been the surprise of camp so far.

Coach34
10-23-2014, 01:54 PM
If we get mileage out of Dunlap and Black- even better. Should make for some much better practices to get ready this year

msstate7
10-23-2014, 01:56 PM
If we get mileage out of Dunlap and Black- even better. Should make for some much better practices to get ready this year

Good point. I bet practice last season was just waste of time bc going against walk ons and coaches

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 02:05 PM
PG- Ready
SG- Sword
PF- FTF
PF- Daniels
C- Ware

Thats a solid starting 5...one that can play with most teams, especially at home

Then add in Roq Johnson, Bloodman, Houston, Endo....we have 4 more guys that can help us. That's 9 players. We'll be fine

I have so many issues with this I am choosing to not address them and just walk away from the keyboard...

all of you are welcome.

dawgpound
10-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Maybe we need to get Bear on the court

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Maybe we need to get Bear on the court

Riiiiggghhhtt... We should pull him from learning (and yes he is still learning to play football...) and put him on the basketball court right now? where he can get hurt in practice for nothing?
IF he ever sets foot on a basketball court it will be in January. and Im doubtful he does that now with the season he is having.

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2014, 05:05 PM
PG- Ready
SG- Sword
PF- FTF
PF- Daniels
C- Ware

So we shouldn't be blown out any this season with those starters?

Intramural All-American
10-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Overly optimistic?

I predicted 20 wins the other day, but as many know, I'm ever the optimist when it comes to basketball. I've seen good things from Ray that make me think with added depth we will turn the corner.

Do we still expect Staley to dress out after football?

Schultzy
10-23-2014, 05:13 PM
From where we were when Rick Ray took over, I consider this his first season to even have a chance.

Coach34
10-23-2014, 06:41 PM
So we shouldn't be blown out any this season with those starters?

Not at home. Good teams lose by 15 all the time on the road

Madisonmd
10-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Heard some talk today from people around Starkville, Ready may be facing season threatening back injury. Anyone able to confirm?

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Heard some talk today from people around Starkville, Ready may be facing season threatening back injury. Anyone able to confirm?

That wouldn't surprise Me.