PDA

View Full Version : Reclassification 16-18

RBritt
10-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Do any of y'all know of any schools dropping down or moving up a class? I have heard Pearl is going 6a and Bassfield is dropping to 1a.

curmudgeon
10-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Ridgeland, Pearl and Germantown to 6A. Starkville stays 6A but will be aligned with Region 1 like they used to be.

A little rumor that Brandon is going to move to Region 2, which could look like this.

Madison Central
Brandon
Clinton
Warren Central
Ridgeland
Pearl
Germantown
Murrah

Hernando, Greenville, Columbus, and Provine drop to 5A to make room for those. There is at least one more 5A going to 6A. Could be Oxford. I was told there were four 5A/6A switches, and have heard that Germantown and Ridgeland were both going 6A. If what you say about Pearl is true, I bet they classify Brandon in Region 2 with NWR and Pearl both.

MadDawg
10-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Are you sure Ridgeland is moving to 6A? First I've heard that.

curmudgeon
10-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Ridgeland has more students than Germantown. I am absolutely sure Germantown is going to 6A. I was told that there were three other 5As moving up. I know that Ridgeland is bigger by about 50 students and Pearl was close so it makes sense.

I can't figure out the last one, because the enrollment data isn't as easily accessible as it once was.

quickstrike2
10-23-2014, 09:41 AM
I know 1a is excited to get Bassfield in there.

Jack Lambert
10-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Ridgeland, Pearl and Germantown to 6A. Starkville stays 6A but will be aligned with Region 1 like they used to be.

A little rumor that Brandon is going to move to Region 2, which could look like this.

Madison Central
Brandon
Clinton
Warren Central
Ridgeland
Pearl
Germantown
Murrah

Hernando, Greenville, Columbus, and Provine drop to 5A to make room for those. There is at least one more 5A going to 6A. Could be Oxford. I was told there were four 5A/6A switches, and have heard that Germantown and Ridgeland were both going 6A. If what you say about Pearl is true, I bet they classify Brandon in Region 2 with NWR and Pearl both.

Best thing that could happen for Brandon.

Todd4State
10-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Madison Central
Brandon
Clinton
Warren Central
Ridgeland
Pearl
Germantown
Murrah

I thought Greenville had one of the largest enrollments in the state?

I could see Pascagoula moving up maybe.

Todd4State
10-23-2014, 10:05 AM

I've heard rumors that Ridgeland is moving up as well. Usually followed by "we'll see how Bobby Hall likes having to play Ridgeland and Germantown".

curmudgeon
10-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Maybe it wasn't Greenville - it was a casual conversation I had with a Germantown administrator.

But Germantown is moving up and I know Ridgeland is bigger than Germantown. Madison Central will destroy Germantown for the next 10 years. Ridgeland is a little closer to being competitive.

I know Gtown is 7-1 right now, but they have 19 senior starters. Going to go down fast, and getting their ass handed to them in 6A isn't going to motivate them to get better. I could see it taking 8-10 years to make the playoffs in 6A in that region.

SouthMsDawg
10-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Greenville-Weston isn't dropping, they have over 1,500 kids.

SouthMsDawg
10-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Ridgeland will need to have over 1,100 students 9-12 to make the jump and last time they counted they had less than 900. I dont see them or Germantown moving up, however I do see Pearl finally getting outwitted in fixing the numbers (something I have heard that they have done for years to stay 4/5A)

Todd4State
10-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Ridgeland will need to have over 1,100 students 9-12 to make the jump and last time they counted they had less than 900. I dont see them or Germantown moving up, however I do see Pearl finally getting outwitted in fixing the numbers (something I have heard that they have done for years to stay 4/5A)

What? Let's not be ridiculous.

MadDawg
10-23-2014, 10:44 AM

Germantown just moved to 5a, what, a couple years ago? I wasn't expecting a move to 6a this soon after that. And I know Ridgeland hasn't really grown much in the last 3-4 years so I was shocked to see the predictions that they move up too. If your numbers are correct, it will be a while before they meet the 6a threshold.

Bowldog
10-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Well, looks like Bassfield will be the 1A state champ for many years to come if this is true!

curmudgeon
10-23-2014, 11:01 AM
They moved from 4A to 5A without a full high school. This is the first year they have had a full high school.

SouthMsDawg
10-23-2014, 11:27 AM
They moved from 4A to 5A without a full high school. This is the first year they have had a full high school.

Even with the growth their Middle school, numbers are only around 200-250 per grade not quite large enough to go to 6A but they will be a larger 5A.

Oxford HS has a better shot at going to 6A than Germantown this go around as well as Pearl who many think will be 6A for sure. Ridgeland likely won't be going to 6A anytime soon. They grew a lot at first but have had a lot of white flight to Madison and Germantown over the past 5-6 years.

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2014, 12:13 PM
I've heard Bassfield won't drop.

Thrill1
10-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Starkville stays 6A but will be aligned with Region 1 like they used to be.

Great news - Starkville vs Tupelo is renewed. Region 1 makes so much more sense geographically now.

SouthMsDawg
10-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Great news - Starkville vs Tupelo is renewed. Region 1 makes so much more sense geographically now.

This is not official. Starkville likely doesn't go back to region 1 considering DeSoto county has 5 6A schools (Olive Branch, Southaven, Horn Lake, Hernando, DeSoto Central) and there is Tupelo, South Panola, and Grenada already there. For Starkville to go there it would mean that Grenada drops.

NOTE TO POSTERS
Nothing is official and wont be until early Dec.

Rayburn8
10-23-2014, 01:39 PM
From what I have heard up here is that Oxford is moving to 6a and Lafayette is a possibility to move to 5a

Todd4State
10-23-2014, 01:50 PM
This is not official. Starkville likely doesn't go back to region 1 considering DeSoto county has 5 6A schools (Olive Branch, Southaven, Horn Lake, Hernando, DeSoto Central) and there is Tupelo, South Panola, and Grenada already there. For Starkville to go there it would mean that Grenada drops.

NOTE TO POSTERS
Nothing is official and wont be until early Dec.

It's very plausible that Hernando and Grenada drop. And I wouldn't be shocked if South Panola drops, but I don't think it will happen this time.

If what Curmudgeon says is true about Hernando and let's say that Grenada drops, then I could see Starkville and Greenville replacing them in region one.

SouthMsDawg
10-23-2014, 02:31 PM
How would Hernando drop as much as DeSoto County is growing? I can see Grenada, but I have been told that Hernando will be 6A from here on out, Also the other Desoto co schools like Lake Comerant and Center Hill are continuously growing.

For those wanting to see last year's numbers you can use this indicator from the Miss. Dept. of Education
http://reports.mde.k12.ms.us/data/

Todd4State
10-23-2014, 03:08 PM
It's not necessarily that they are not growing as much as how they are growing compared to other schools. With regards to Hernando, I think it's very possible that they may drop down this time, but then return to 6A the next time they reclassify. Eventually, in about 10 years, I think this is what 6A will look like.

Region 1

Olive Branch
Southaven
Desoto Central
Hernando
Lewisburg
Lake Cormorant
Center Hill
Horn Lake

Region 2

Tupelo
Starkville
Oxford
Greenville
Madison Central
Germantown
Ridgeland
Clinton

Region 3

Brandon
Pearl
Northwest Rankin
Murrah
Florence
Meridian
Oak Grove
Petal

Region 4

Ocean Springs
Pascagoula
Biloxi
Gulfport
Harrison Central
Long Beach
Hancock County
St. Martin

klc90
10-23-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't think Grenada drops. It's the only school in the county. When you look at the numbers, they are as big as any other 6A school. They are not splitting kids between a city school and county school like Oktibbeha, Desoto, Lafayette, and other counties.

It_Could_Happen
10-23-2014, 03:42 PM
I've heard rumors that Ridgeland is moving up as well. Usually followed by "we'll see how Bobby Hall likes having to play Ridgeland and Germantown".

I'm not going to lie, ole Bobby Hall may be in trouble if that is true. That's a tough region for MC. Especially since Clinton is on a surge.

Amadden0408
10-23-2014, 04:29 PM
It's not necessarily that they are not growing as much as how they are growing compared to other schools. With regards to Hernando, I think it's very possible that they may drop down this time, but then return to 6A the next time they reclassify. Eventually, in about 10 years, I think this is what 6A will look like.

Region 1

Olive Branch
Southaven
Desoto Central
Hernando
Lewisburg
Lake Cormorant
Center Hill
Horn Lake

Region 2

Tupelo
Starkville
Oxford
Greenville
Madison Central
Germantown
Ridgeland
Clinton

Region 3

Brandon
Pearl
Northwest Rankin
Murrah
Florence
Meridian
Oak Grove
Petal

Region 4

Ocean Springs
Pascagoula
Biloxi
Gulfport
Harrison Central
Long Beach
Hancock County
St. Martin

Florence has alot of moving to do to move to 6A in 10 years. This would take substantial redistricting of Northwest Rankin, when I had heard they are looking at possible building a totally new school. Also, I don't see the line dropping below 1100 for 6A, which means schools like South Panola will be above that line barring major population shifts in Panola County.