PDA

View Full Version : CQ article about Scooba and juco football around the state

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2014, 12:26 AM
http://www.gq.com/sports/201411/last-chance-university

dickiedawg
10-23-2014, 06:10 AM
I enjoyed the article. Though I'm about ready to read a national piece that paints Mississippi as something other than a desolate wasteland full of Dirt-poor, downtrodden people that hasn't done anything but waste away for the past 100 years.

Mulligan
10-23-2014, 10:17 AM
I enjoyed the article. Though I'm about ready to read a national piece that paints Mississippi as something other than a desolate wasteland full of Dirt-poor, downtrodden people that hasn't done anything but waste away for the past 100 years.

Have you ever been to Scooba, Goodman, Wesson, Moorehead, Clarksdale; etc? Trust me, the story here is not exaggerated at all. Yes MS has great places, but this story was about the small towns with JUCO football teams. And it's accurate...

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 11:22 AM
in every game Scooba has played this year they have run the clock the 2nd half. Scooba Tech is a Monster.

SouthMsDawg
10-23-2014, 11:32 AM
My mom is a teacher at a MS Juco and has been for about 20 years and has dealt with a lot of these kids. Some of them can get things turned around and better themselves with their second chance while others wont. Very good article though. My brother played JUCO ball in 99-2000 and he always had some good stories on some of his old teammates. One of them from Georgia told him he was the first white guy he had every been friends with.

mparkerfd20
10-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Holy crap EMCC has given up 38 points in 8 games... And even better those were in the first 4 games. They have pitched a shutout in last 4 straight games against Itawamba, Jones, Holmes, and NW. All this while averaging over 56pt per game. So of those 38 points given up I'm sure they were playing people from the stands. THAT'S total domination.

quickstrike2
10-23-2014, 01:44 PM
What I got from that article is that Chad Kelly is about to be the next quarterback at Ole Miss.

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Holy crap EMCC has given up 38 points in 8 games... And even better those were in the first 4 games. They have pitched a shutout in last 4 straight games against Itawamba, Jones, Holmes, and NW. All this while averaging over 56pt per game. So of those 38 points given up I'm sure they were playing people from the stands. THAT'S total domination.

Plus the clock runs the whole second half.They have SEC speed and size.

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Plus the clock runs the whole second half.They have SEC speed and size.

Like i said, someone made a deal with the devil.. its sick. and to think I changed professions to go into computers instead of media because...
Well how the f*ck do you make 1 first down, 5 turnovers, and maybe 100 yards of offense look good week after week in stories? Thanks Tom Goode lol.

Scooba is still Scooba and I havent been there in maybe 5-6 years but sounds like all thats changed is the local sandwich stop closed and half the buildings fell in on "main street"

and I was trying not to laugh as I knew they were describing coahoma, poor school doesnt and never will have anything..well unless another tornado hits i guess. But all the talk about the delta, well i know there are some people from there on here but Im sorry, one year in moorhead at MDCC and having to travel to greenwood and greenville was more than enough for me in the land time forgot.

Goat Holder
10-23-2014, 03:00 PM

Well, it's true and it ain't changing, at least in those towns. I've long said we should start capitalizing on it somehow. I am loving all this press we are getting. People are getting enamored with the State of Mississippi.

Goat Holder
10-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Have you ever been to Scooba, Goodman, Wesson, Moorehead, Clarksdale; etc? Trust me, the story here is not exaggerated at all. Yes MS has great places, but this story was about the small towns with JUCO football teams. And it's accurate...

Clarksdale really is sad. Nothing but thugs there the last time I went. That one bar Ground Zero Blues Club really looked to be the only damn thing there. It used to be OK didn't it?