PDA

View Full Version : Question about football

DanDority
10-22-2014, 10:23 PM
I know this will not be a popular opinion. I'm not that crazy about R. Brown. He does seem to make the plays, but as a mlb weighing 235 it seems to me that he does not bring the load on tackles that I would think that he should.
Fire away

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 10:44 PM
I disagree. I do see your point but Its all about how you handle your weight. He throws it around pretty good. Having said that, never feel bad for posting an opinion. Its a message board and it exists for that purpose. Everyone has an opinion. some right some wrong.

smootness
10-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Not a fan of LBs who are always in the right place, always wrap up and make the tackle, and are able to meet a RB at the LOS and drive him backward?

TUSK
10-22-2014, 11:04 PM
235 is too light vs a team that is gonna pound your ass... and he's likely a slow 235...

however, dude has been making plays.

heart, timing and luck are worth a bunch, IMO...

I'd love that rat bastard covering kicks for us!

edit: his 40 isn't that bad, sorry.

Dallas_Dawg
10-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Not a fan of LBs who are always in the right place, always wrap up and make the tackle, and are able to meet a RB at the LOS and drive him backward?
Shoot, Richie is a downhill linebacker who also excels in coverage. I bet he would start on almost every other team in the country. He makes plays BEHIND the LOS. Just watch the Lsu game on the goal line stand. Richie was a big part of that.

starkvegasdawg
10-22-2014, 11:24 PM
I somewhat share your opinion. I saw him his red shirt year at my daughter's school and the first thought that went through my head was wondering how he would make it as a LB in the SEC. He looked incredibly small to me. But then a friend pointed out I have about 6" and well over a 100 pounds on him so everybody seems small. But, to his credit, he plays the position well. And if he is 235 then that is just 10-15 pounds smaller than McKinney and probably average size for a LB. So far all I've seen him do is make plays. Yet to see him blow one. Got no problem with him being out there.

archdog
10-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Richie just hasn't brought the lumber. Thats fine. He is dominating in almost every other way.

War Machine Dawg
10-22-2014, 11:34 PM
I somewhat share your opinion. I saw him his red shirt year at my daughter's school and the first thought that went through my head was wondering how he would make it as a LB in the SEC. He looked incredibly small to me. But then a friend pointed out I have about 6" and well over a 100 pounds on him so everybody seems small. But, to his credit, he plays the position well. And if he is 235 then that is just 10-15 pounds smaller than McKinney and probably average size for a LB. So far all I've seen him do is make plays. Yet to see him blow one. Got no problem with him being out there.

This. He's a good size for a LB. McKinney is just a freak at 250. Ideally, I'd like my MLB to be 240-245, but 235 isn't a problem. As others have pointed out, he does everything right and is one of, if not the, most sure tacklers we have. Not to mention he seems to have an extremely high football IQ. Very comparable to Cam Lawrence in that respect, from what I've seen.

gravedigger
10-23-2014, 02:14 AM
Hojw has it hurt us? He damn sure brought it in the goal line at lsu.

Offshore Dawg
10-23-2014, 05:27 AM
Richie just hasn't brought the lumber. Thats fine. He is dominating in almost every other way.

So are you expecting him to knock somebody the <17> out or make a clean tackle ??

1bigdawg
10-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Just a note, but he did run the 100 meter dash for his 6A high school. I don't think he is particularly slow.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-23-2014, 07:47 AM
I know it was HS, but he averaged 17 tackles/game his senior year and like bigdawg stated he ran track as well. He turned down numerous offers, including Stanford so he must be fairly intelligent. Plus, he's got an epic beard and he really seems to be the type of player we recruit. Who would the OP rather see at the position?

SIAP, but here's one article I missed during the frenzy:http://sports.usatoday.com/2014/10/10/fbc-miss-state-richie-brown/#sthash.UQKG5vSm.uxfs

Jack Lambert
10-23-2014, 07:50 AM
He will not play at MSU his senior year. He is going to be a beast. He can play.

DanDority
10-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Some of you have made me feel better about said player. Yes, he does play the position very well! I guess I'm just a little spoiled seeing B. Mc in that position.

engie
10-23-2014, 09:10 AM
235 is too light vs a team that is gonna pound your ass... and he's likely a slow 235...

however, dude has been making plays.

heart, timing and luck are worth a bunch, IMO...

I'd love that rat bastard covering kicks for us!

edit: his 40 isn't that bad, sorry.

He's sub 4.0 in the shuttle now. Dude is friggin explosive...

Goat Holder
10-23-2014, 09:14 AM
What the hell? He's been awesome for us.

Do some of you just like hating on white football players? Brown, Bo, Johnny Football. Is it white jealousy or something? Good grief, I mean get over it. They get more girls than you do. No big deal.

engie
10-23-2014, 09:17 AM
This. He's a good size for a LB. McKinney is just a freak at 250. Ideally, I'd like my MLB to be 240-245, but 235 isn't a problem. As others have pointed out, he does everything right and is one of, if not the, most sure tacklers we have. Not to mention he seems to have an extremely high football IQ. Very comparable to Cam Lawrence in that respect, from what I've seen.

This is what gets lost with Richie's approach to the game. I thought at one point earlier this year that he kinda seemed to have the Cam Lawrence "I'm going to tackle you, but may give up 2 backbreaking yards in the process" thing going on. Rewatched and that couldn't be more false. He just doesn't take risks trying to deliver big hits and reality gets lost when he goes low and wraps a guy up vs McKinney knocking them into next week.

Goat Holder
10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
and he's likely a slow 235...

Care to explain why you made that assumption?

Johnson85
10-23-2014, 09:55 AM
I guess I'm just a little spoiled seeing B. Mc in that position.

I think it's this combined with the fact that you're probably traumatized from watching Malweenie (sp??? no clue) and to a lesser extent Cam Lawrence rack up tackles without actually making the big plays.