PDA

View Full Version : Kellenburger says : Old bears consider LSU real rival, cubs consider MSU rival...

IMissJack
10-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Someone better tell LSU, because my LSU friends laugh at this.

Ralph
10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
I remember les miles laughing at this a few years ago during a press conference or interview. He seemed genuinely surprised and confused by OM's rivalry claims.

LiterallyPolice
10-22-2014, 07:06 PM
I think that's a fair assessment. People hate the teams that are/were their greatest competition, among other factors. For example, I know many LSU fans that HATE bama these days. I could be wrong, but I believe this intense hatred stems from their competition over the past 5 years or so for national championships.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 07:08 PM
I know a helluva lot of LSU fans- but none that consider Ole Missus a rival

Bass Chaser
10-22-2014, 07:14 PM
The folks I've talked to in BR don't consider them a rival at all. Alabama is somewhat but that's only because Saban used to coach there.

RougeDawg
10-22-2014, 07:37 PM
I know a helluva lot of LSU fans- but none that consider Ole Missus a rival

I live and work amongst 99% LSU fans and I've yet to meet one that considers OM a rival. They do however realize the bear fan base's levels of delusion and arrogance.

Most LSU fans I know well, consider Auburn and Alabama their rivals in that order. Bama has been strengthened of late because of Saban. The majority hates auburn the most, with the main comment being "We are the real tigers of the SEC".

IMissJack
10-22-2014, 07:38 PM
LSU fans I know seem to hate Auburn

maroonmania
10-22-2014, 07:41 PM
I live and work amongst 99% LSU fans and I've yet to meet one that considers OM a rival. They do however realize the bear fan base's levels of delusion and arrogance.

Most LSU fans I know well, consider Auburn and Alabama their rivals in that order. Bama has been strengthened of late because of Saban. The majority hates auburn the most, with the main comment being "We are the real tigers of the SEC".

Maybe that's why OM has had better than expected success against LSU lately. OM considers it a rivalry but LSU does not. And maybe that is why we keep beating OM. We put a lot of stock in the rivalry while OM doesn't even want to admit they care.

Apoplectic
10-22-2014, 07:44 PM
pfft - my LSU relatives roll their eyes when i ask. They smile and say what a bunch of d-bags!

gravedigger
10-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Ask Doublecheesburger what defines 'Old'. And then ask what the age for 'cubs' is.

Bet it differs from who CLAIM to be 'old'.

Fact of the matter, if you aren't 60 years old RIGHT THE !$%^k now, you cannot remember a day when the game meant something to LSU.

Bucky Dog
10-22-2014, 08:01 PM
I know aloft of LSU fans as we'll living here in LA and none consider OM a rival. But, they all say they hate their fans with a passion and think they are the most arrogant bastards around. They do have a special something waiting for them in BR this weekend!

DawgPoundtheRock
10-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Last time this game meant anything to LSU, Billy Cannon returned a punt eleben billion yards for a 7-6 tiger victory. That was late or early 60's

bulldogcountry1
10-22-2014, 08:05 PM
I work with several UM fans. I bet I've heard "rivalry" 10 times this week. It just makes them feel better about themselves.

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Last time this game meant anything to LSU, Billy Cannon returned a punt eleben billion yards for a 7-6 tiger victory. That was late or early 60's

I don't know why this made me laugh, but it did.

Pollodawg
10-22-2014, 09:12 PM
My wife's family is from Louisiana, and I have never heard them mention anything about OM being a rival. Auburn and Bama yeah. OM, no.

Todd4State
10-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Maybe that's why OM has had better than expected success against LSU lately. OM considers it a rivalry but LSU does not. And maybe that is why we keep beating OM. We put a lot of stock in the rivalry while OM doesn't even want to admit they care.

I think you nailed this.

Pollodawg
10-22-2014, 09:21 PM

I disagree. I think OM cares a lot about MSU. We have just had better coaching and better talent than they have for 4 of the last five years. 5 of the last seven years, and 6 of the last ten years.

Goat Holder
10-22-2014, 09:30 PM

This is inaccurate. That is exactly what THEY want you to believe. Deep down, they hate us with a passion. But they won't admit it because they have to keep up perception.

IMissJack
10-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Totally agree. They have been getting that butt spanked by us on a regular basis, and like a little kid they say "I don't care about that game anyway...." wah, wah, wah.

Hail State
10-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Does anyone remember a couple of years ago when an LSU basketball player commented on Ole Miss' infatuation of LSU in an article? He said something to the effect that "It's like they wish they were LSU". Does anyone have a link to that? It pretty much nailed their obsession with LSU.

RIdog
10-22-2014, 10:08 PM

Uh , actually it was 7 - 3 and it was 1959 . I only know this because i'm really old and remember listening to it on the old AM radio . :)

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Uh , actually it was 7 - 3 and it was 1959 . I only know this because i'm really old and remember listening to it on the old AM radio . :)

I'm impressed. I can't remember what I heard on the radio this morning.

RIdog
10-22-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm impressed. I can't remember what I heard on the radio this morning.

Haha , me either , but i can remember stuff from 50 + years ago - funny how that works .

BossDawg
10-22-2014, 11:39 PM
All you have to do is find any UMiss fan and mention LSU and State somehow in the same sentence, and they will then proceed to badmouth State for 30 minutes until they are blue in the face. This garbage they throw down about LSU being their real rival is nothing but another gimmick by them trying to appear above State.

Ralph
10-23-2014, 08:46 AM
This is inaccurate. That is exactly what THEY want you to believe. Deep down, they hate us with a passion. But they won't admit it because they have to keep up perception.

This is correct. Think about it... What would you say as an msu fan if we had lost 4/5 to OM. We would come up with a company line too, just not one so ridiculous.

Johnson85
10-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Ask Doublecheesburger what defines 'Old'. And then ask what the age for 'cubs' is.

Bet it differs from who CLAIM to be 'old'.

Fact of the matter, if you aren't 60 years old RIGHT THE !$%^k now, you cannot remember a day when the game meant something to LSU.

^^^^This is the answer.^^^^ If you find an LSU fan over 60 that grew up with parents that were LSU fans, they likely do consider Ole Miss a rival. Any LSU fan that is younger than that simply isn't going to know what it feels like to consider Ole Miss a rival.

BulldogBear
10-23-2014, 12:58 PM
As mentioned many times I grew up in Natchez where LSU fans outnumber fans of any and all Mississippi schools combined by anywhere from 10 to 1 or as high as 25 to 1 depending the timeframe. I have never once.... Never a single solitary time.... as long as I have lived.... heard any person who supports LSU in any way, mention anything about seeing Ole Miss as any thing more than another SEC opponent.

dawgpound
10-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Ole miss is still holding on to their rivals in the 60's just like their national championships..... always living in the past

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/10/ron_higgins_column.html