PDA

View Full Version : '15 football

msstate7
10-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Has our RS plan been run correctly? Will there be a significant drop off next season?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2014, 03:42 PM
As long as Dak comes back next year we will have another very good team.

Offense

QB - Prescott/Williams or Fitzgerald or Staley
RB - Robinson/Shumpert or Williams
WR - Wilson/Brown
WR - Ross/Morrow
WR - Myles/Gray (Could easily be the other way around)
TE - Walley/Hutcherson or Pierce (If he qualifies)
LT - Senior/Carter or Jenkins
LG - Malone/Thomas or Flowers
C - Clayborn/Calhoun
RG - Desper/Thomas or Johnson
RT - Rankin/Warren

Defense

DE - Ry Brown/Coleman
DT - Jones/Thomas
DT - Adams/James
DE - Jefferson/Calvin
OLB - Be Brown/Gray
MLB - Ri Brown/Green
OLB - Jackson/Jung
DB - Redmond/Jiles
DB - Calhoun/Cleveland
S - Market/Evans
S - Comans or Evans/Bryant

I feel that this 2 deep is just as talented as our team now not quite as experienced with the 2 deep but just as talented.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 03:45 PM
You guys can go ahead and get ready for Dakota and JRob to be gone next year.

Dakota is blowing up- the hype and excitement is going to draw him out.
JRob is going to run for 1,300 yards and have nothing left to prove by returning for a 5th year- he aint gonna get taller if he stays. He might as well try to get paid.

Homedawg
10-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Add Redmond to the list of potential early entries. He's going to throw his name in the hat

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2014, 03:48 PM
You guys can go ahead and get ready for Dakota and JRob to be gone next year.

Dakota is blowing up- the hype and excitement is going to draw him out.
JRob is going to run for 1,300 yards and have nothing left to prove by returning for a 5th year- he aint gonna get taller if he stays. He might as well try to get paid.

If Dak leaves it's because we've won the National Championship or he's won the Heisman or both. Either way if we've done that nobody will mind 1 bit him leaving early.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Dakota loves Sville. But 2nd round money is going to entice him

msstate7
10-22-2014, 03:54 PM
So assuming Dak and jrob leave, who you got getting most snaps next season in each position?

Coach34
10-22-2014, 03:58 PM
I think Fitz and Staley out battle Damien by kickoff- and we see both of them early.

**** if I know at RB. Aeris and Shump I guess

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2014, 04:00 PM

I definitely agree I just think 1 of those 2 things have to happen to get that 2nd rd grade.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2014, 04:01 PM
RB IMO would be Aeris & Nick Gibson would be my darkhorse to steal the job.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2014, 04:13 PM
All I know is, Relf was one of our best QB's ever before this year......so I'm comfortable with Williams, Fitz, or Staley after more than a year in the program. My gut tells me Fitz will emerge next year and Tiano may be the man after next year. We have some great QB battles coming up in the next few seasons, and that will only make them all better.

As for RB, I will believe JRob leaves early when I see it. But assuming he leaves, I think we have no trouble at RB with Williams, Shumpert, Gibson, and others. Williams could have played this year as a true freshman, so there could just as easily be another true freshman step up if Shump and/or Willaims isn't ready to take that role. But I imagine they will be ready. If they are both bruisers, we'll have thunder (Williams and Shump) and lightning (Holloway), and get by.

And again, I still think Dak and JRob will be back. At least JRob.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I put JRob returning at 15%

CadaverDawg
10-22-2014, 04:16 PM
I put JRob returning at 15%

I'll put him returning at 85% as of today.

Coach, short running backs with not so great speed are not hard to come by. He may not even get drafted, much less a high draft pick. I don't know where you're getting his high stock. Especially in the shadow of Dak. Hell, JRob may want a season of being the man...and he will get that if Dak leaves. Just a thought.

You may be right, I just don't see it.

SapperDawg
10-22-2014, 04:20 PM
RBs are pretty devalued in the draft now, with only the absolute national-hyped best being in the upper rounds, so does that fact keep JRob another year to be the dean of SEC backs? Gurley will be gone this year, so he would be the top returning SEC RB and have the hype that comes with it.

What will help JRob is having an extra year with a great passer or dual threat taking pressure of the inside run game he excels at. In this scenario, if Dak goes will JRob go too?

Coach34
10-22-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm not saying he will be a high draft pick. Havent said that at all.

I think he leaves and begins trying to get paid to play RB. He is going to lead the SEC in rushing, then go to the combine and take his chances.

TUSK
10-22-2014, 04:26 PM
I think they'll both be back...

UNLESS: Dak's passing numbers continue to rise, yall win 12+ and he clips the Heisman...

anybody know what the latest draft prediction is on either???

TUSK
10-22-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm not saying he will be a high draft pick. Havent said that at all.

I think he leaves and begins trying to get paid to play RB. He is going to lead the SEC in rushing, then go to the combine and take his chances.

that makes sense, the FA route....

Coach34
10-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Dakota right now is a 3rd round grade.

JRob's stock won't go up any more by staying another season

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 04:36 PM
JRob Will be back, Dak is about 50/50 I guess. I don't think he will move past a 3rd rd grade. If he does he goes, if not I look for him to stay unless he wins the Heisman.

maroonmania
10-22-2014, 04:43 PM

If Dak leaves we will definitely take a step back until another QB emerges and gets some time under his belt. Dak Prescotts don't grow on trees for sure. I personally have waited over 30 years to see MSU have a QB of his quality.

chef dixon
10-22-2014, 04:50 PM
A quick glance at the D-line worries me. Got some good players of course, but the depth and experience will take a huge blow after this year.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2014, 05:19 PM
A quick glance at the D-line worries me. Got some good players of course, but the depth and experience will take a huge blow after this year.

I disagree a little bit. I mean, you do have a point that we lose some guys on the DL, but We will have a JUCO in Coleman on the 2nd string line, along with Nick James or Nelson Adams. Then you have to realize that guys like Cory Thomas could have gotten significant minutes for good teams this season, so stepping in after a year in our system will make them very tough redshirt freshmen. I may be being optimistic, but it's rare that teams have two solid groups of DL that can rotate in like we do this year. Remember, before the season, we didn't consider James, Adams, etc as guys that would play half the snaps like they have been. I think we are approaching reload mode defensively, with the exception of a larger than normal graduation hit on the DL, and a star at MLB.

We also have to remember that the recruiting has gotten better and better, so instead of taking 2 full years to develop guys to where they can help in SEC play, we have guys like Brandon Bryant, JT Gray, Cory Thomas, Gerri Green, etc...that could have started for several teams across the country as true freshmen, but we were able to redshirt them.

Jones, Adams, James, Thomas, Hoyett, Harris, Coleman, Jefferson, Ryan Brown - and that's just DL off the top of my head

B Brown, R Brown, Jackson, Harris, Green, JT Gray - Off the top of my head

Calhoun, Redmond, Cleveland, Sills, Jiles, Market, Evans, Coman - Again, just a short list

Our defense is LOADED, and only getting stronger with guys like Peters, Leo Lewis (SWIDT), Adams, etc... Coming in next class.

If there is anything to be concerned about, it is losing Clausell, Day, and Beckwith....but Hevesy has started to turn me into a believer, so I'm not going to fret that too much, yet.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2014, 06:52 PM
The DL doesn't really lack experience next year. Starters should be

DE - Ry. Brown 2yr starter & 4yr contributor Backup - Coleman who's RS this year & played 2yrs of Juco.
DE - Jefferson 1st year starter but 3yr contributor Backup - Calvin Juco EE
DT - Jones 1st year starter but 3yr contributor Backup - Thomas RS freshman
DT - Adams 1st year starter but 3yr contributor Backup - James 2yr contributor

Out of the 8 on the projected 2 deep 7 upperclassmen 5 with multiple years playing experience in the SEC.

PMDawg
10-22-2014, 07:39 PM
I think Fitz and Staley out battle Damien by kickoff- and we see both of them early.

**** if I know at RB. Aeris and Shump I guess

If Aeries isnt the real deal, next year may be the year we finally arent good at RB.

Apoplectic
10-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Dak is gone already. I'm not sold on Jrob but guessing there will be someone in his ear feeding him lies.

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Add Redmond to the list of potential early entries. He's going to throw his name in the hat

you must be mistaken. WMD and Dawg61 say he can't cover..

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Dak is gone already. I'm not sold on Jrob but guessing there will be someone in his ear feeding him lies.

it would be an epic mistake for him to come out this year.

HoopsDawg
10-22-2014, 07:53 PM
This is the year boys. We are losing a ton of leadership from this team. Guys like Day, Beckwith, Turtle, B-Mac, Eulls, Hughes are all great team guys and leaders. We can talk about next year after season.

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 08:03 PM
This is the year boys. We are losing a ton of leadership from this team. Guys like Day, Beckwith, Turtle, B-Mac, Eulls, Hughes are all great team guys and leaders. We can talk about next year after season.

all hinges on Dak's decision though. If someone sits down with him and explains the difference in the numbers, he'll stay. A late 2 or 3, at highest, isn't nearly what a #1 is worth. Its MILLIONS different over the course of four years. It's the difference in being comfortable and being wealthy.

I think he can work himself into a late 1 or 2 now. I haven't thought that before, and I don't think he can do it this season.

Mariota, Winston, Hundley, Cook, Petty, & Mannion are all ahead of him going into the draft. That will push him into the 3rd at minimum IMO, if not the 4th or 5th. It would be an epic mistake to go in this year. If you look at him versus just the underclassmen though, it's not a strong class coming out next year. He'd have the chance to push up. Probably be behind Brissett, Hogan, and maybe Cook if he comes back.

smootness
10-22-2014, 08:13 PM
I'll put him returning at 85% as of today.

Coach, short running backs with not so great speed are not hard to come by. He may not even get drafted, much less a high draft pick. I don't know where you're getting his high stock. Especially in the shadow of Dak. Hell, JRob may want a season of being the man...and he will get that if Dak leaves. Just a thought.

You may be right, I just don't see it.

I have a feeling you're going to be shocked by his combine numbers. I don't know where this idea comes from that Robinson is average or worse among RBs in speed, but he certainly isn't. My guess is that he'll be sub-4.5.

Robinson has everything you want in an NFL back. I also don't understand the knock on short RBs. That's exactly what the NFL wants - low center of gravity. Height does not give you any advantage as a RB.

I don't see any way Robinson stays, and I don't know how anyone could consider it a mistake assuming he's drafted. He's ready.

Homedawg
10-22-2014, 08:13 PM
you must be mistaken. WMD and Dawg61 say he can't cover..

Well dawg 61 is a moron. So......that's that.

smootness
10-22-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure why people are worried about next year. I understand the thought that we'll drop off quite a bit, and we could. But just enjoy this year, and then enjoy next year as well if it ends up being a lot of younger guys learning how to play. I enjoy both as a fan. Obviously ultimately I want to win, but I do enjoy years when we don't win quite as many games but clearly have a lot of young talent getting a chance to play.

Obviously we still should be a pretty good team, especially if Dak comes back; but also enjoy guys like Dez Harris, JT Gray, Brandon Bryant, Aeris Williams, Staley/Fitzgerald (if Dak leaves), Gerri Green, BJ Hammond, a more seasoned Jamoral Graham, Donald Gray, Dear, Peters, etc. And enjoy watching guys like Fred Ross and Fred Brown emerge into big-time players. Enjoy watching Chris Jones, Beniquez Brown, and De'Runnya Wilson grow into All-American candidates.

smootness
10-22-2014, 08:28 PM
By the way, CBS Sports now has Dak #5 among QBs in the draft and #58 overall. And Walter Football has him #7 among QBs and a 3-4 round draft grade. So people need to begin preparing themselves for the possibility of him leaving. Because it is absolutely a possibility and will likely become a probability if he keeps improving his passing and decision-making.

BiscuitEater
10-22-2014, 08:30 PM
If Aeries isnt the real deal, next year may be the year we finally arent good at RB.

better in '15 than this year. Shump will return and then add ...

Dontavian Lee 6-1, 220

Aeris Williams 6-1, 215

Both could have played this year. Good reports on both. And, add Nick Gibson ... 5-foot-11, 191-pound running back rushed for 2,205 yards and 27 touchdowns last season. He was the Class 5A running back of the year, as selected by the Alabama Sportswriters Association.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 08:34 PM
By the way, CBS Sports now has Dak #5 among QBs in the draft and #58 overall. And Walter Football has him #7 among QBs and a 3-4 round draft grade. So people need to begin preparing themselves for the possibility of him leaving. Because it is absolutely a possibility and will likely become a probability if he keeps improving his passing and decision-making.

Exactly. he is a 2nd or 3rd right now. He can easily play his way higher- then choose to come out and go for it at the Combine. He is 50/50 at best to return- I'd say probably 35/65...

CadaverDawg
10-22-2014, 09:24 PM

Where is JRob?

ETA: Nevermind, I went and looked....He isn't listed. Out of 75 RB's he's not ranked in the top 75 RB's or the top 1000 prospects. You have on maroon glasses when it comes to Robinson IMO. I won't talk bad about him bc I like him, he's a Dawg, and he's a good college back. But when it comes to NFL potential, he isn't there....yet.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Where is JRob?

rated 28th in 2016 draft coming into this season

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120126&draftyear=2016&genpos=RB

CadaverDawg
10-22-2014, 09:31 PM
rated 28th in 2016 draft coming into this season

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120126&draftyear=2016&genpos=RB

Right, 2016. After his SENIOR season.

And that's 28th ranked RB in 2016. Not overall.

Again, not saying JRob isn't good....he's a Great college RB, and even greater in our system. Just saying y'all are a little overly optimistic about his draft potential. He should be back next year unless he gets poor advice.

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Again, not saying JRob isn't good. Just saying y'all are a little overly optimistic about his draft potential. He should be back next year unless he gets poor advice.

agree completely.. He is a very very good college running back and he will likely end up being a really good pro back but I don't expect there is anyway he leaves after this year.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2014, 11:58 PM
agree completely.. He is a very very good college running back and he will likely end up being a really good pro back but I don't expect there is anyway he leaves after this year.

I'm not so sure he'll "likely end up being a really good pro back", but I agree with everything else you said. I hope like hell he and Dak return to MSU and then become 15 year NFL players though.

Why did this thread die?*

Todd4State
10-23-2014, 01:10 AM
At this point, I think both Dak and Robinson will both be back. I say at this point because Dak can certainly improve enough over the last half of the season to boost his stock up to go.

But I also think that Dan is going to talk to both guys and whomever else is thinking about leaving and is going to be honest about whether they should go or not. And I think with Josh he will encourage him to come back.

And if I were Dak I would not leave unless I was a guaranteed first round pick. I looked at the salaries for first and second round picks for the 2014 draft, and pretty much a first round pick makes double what a second round pick makes- plus first round picks can also get the fifth year option. I really think that if Dak comes back, he will be the first pick in the draft after his fifth year senior year. I can't see that happening this year even if he improves over the last half of the season.

Bothrops
10-23-2014, 05:57 AM
There are valid points here for both cases with both players. My instinct tells me that Dak is gone, but Robinson stays. I do think JRob would improve his status by returning for senior season. He could really rack up the numbers next year, plus it's another year for him to mature before pro ball and being on his own. If Dak somehow does return, we will still be VERY good on offense, but if he goes, we could struggle to find continuity while getting reorganized around a new leader. Don't be surprised if it happens. The difference could be 3 or 4 wins between the former and the latter situations. In other words, we aren't just going to reload at qb after Dak. His ability to move the ball and extend plays won't be replaced, entirely. But with the number of skill guys in this recruiting class, and a solid qb emerges next season with good experience, 2016 could field another very dangerous offense. We could be set for a while. We will have the most speed on offense that we've ever had.

Coach34
10-23-2014, 06:01 AM

Again, not saying JRob isn't good....he's a Great college RB, and even greater in our system. Just saying y'all are a little overly optimistic about his draft potential. He should be back next year unless he gets poor advice.

im not even sure he will be drafted, I'll just be very surprised if he returns for a 5th year.

Smitty
10-23-2014, 06:08 AM
im not even sure he will be drafted, I'll just be very surprised if he returns for a 5th year.

Man I don't know, I'd play for 15 years at State if I could. Is the difference in money from this year to the next, especially an undrafted free agent, worth missing out on that? ESPECIALLY if Dak comes back.

Coach34
10-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Man I don't know, I'd play for 15 years at State if I could. Is the difference in money from this year to the next, especially an undrafted free agent, worth missing out on that? ESPECIALLY if Dak comes back.

I love the guy. He is one of my favorite RB's of all-time. But- from the outside looking in, hearing a few things here and there from the inside, reading his tweets and such....I will be surprised if he returns. And it has zero to do with his draft status. Some people are ok with trying to make it as an undrafted FA

Dawgowar
10-23-2014, 06:42 AM

The other day I saw a retweet on either one of our coaches accounts or one of the Athletic Department officials' accounts from the NFL official charged with evaluating draft grades for early entries. He provided the percentages that make it into the league in terms of round, roster vs practice squad, etc. I don't have them handy but if you did not go in the First or second round it got bleak fast. The numbers actually drafted in the first three rounds were lower than I thought. Very sobering. I hope whatever our guys decide they pay attention to what they are told.

I want them to succeed at both levels.

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 06:58 AM
The other day I saw a retweet on either one of our coaches accounts or one of the Athletic Department officials' accounts from the NFL official charged with evaluating draft grades for early entries. He provided the percentages that make it into the league in terms of round, roster vs practice squad, etc. I don't have them handy but if you did not go in the First or second round it got bleak fast. The numbers actually drafted in the first three rounds were lower than I thought. Very sobering. I hope whatever our guys decide they pay attention to what they are told.

I want them to succeed at both levels.

it was the NFL VP. I think it was close to 50% make a roster. And the % of under classmen who enter the draft that are actually drafted has dropped consecutively each year.

maroonmania
10-23-2014, 11:05 AM
At this point, I think both Dak and Robinson will both be back. I say at this point because Dak can certainly improve enough over the last half of the season to boost his stock up to go.

But I also think that Dan is going to talk to both guys and whomever else is thinking about leaving and is going to be honest about whether they should go or not. And I think with Josh he will encourage him to come back.

And if I were Dak I would not leave unless I was a guaranteed first round pick. I looked at the salaries for first and second round picks for the 2014 draft, and pretty much a first round pick makes double what a second round pick makes- plus first round picks can also get the fifth year option. I really think that if Dak comes back, he will be the first pick in the draft after his fifth year senior year. I can't see that happening this year even if he improves over the last half of the season.

That has pretty much been the standard that we've had, if you are guaranteed or very likely to go first round then leave early, if not, come back. Of course just because that is the advice our coaching staff is giving, the player still has the choice to make. I think Dak can certainly play in the NFL but I actually think he is much more of a star in college than he will likely ever be in the pros so I hope he doesn't leave early unless he gets a 1st round grade at the end of the year. Dak can run any type offense but there is no question that he is a perfect fit for the Mullen offense. However, NFL teams don't run the Mullen offense.

Goat Holder
10-23-2014, 11:18 AM
If we win the national championship and Dak wins the Heisman (one can't happen without the other), then we will lose half our team to the NFL draft. We all know McKinney is gone, but Prescott/Robinson/Redmond probably would be too. Maybe Ryan Brown. And who would care? We'd be freaking national champions and own a Heisman trophy. We'd get over it. And honestly we'd probably be better than 6-6 in 2015 even if all that really happened. Not to mention the plethora of recruits and money we'd bring in due to the exposure.

Now, it would suck to go 9-3 or 10-2 and all that happen. But I suspect we'll live. Good problems to have.

Johnson85
10-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Dakota right now is a 3rd round grade.

JRob's stock won't go up any more by staying another season

All depends on whwether Robinson enjoys college football or not. If he is having a blast playin gfootball, he should probably come back. No guarantee he'll make it in the pros and he should enjoy it while he can. If he's only worried about maximizing his potential money from football, he should probably go. People know what he brings to the table. That will be enough to get him a roster spot or it won't (I think it will), and staying in college another year will just give him one less year where his body will still be NFL capable without moving the needle on his draft status.