PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated on impending UF Opening (Hint: May irk Bear fans)

Lloyd Christmas
10-22-2014, 02:11 PM
LINKITY (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/21/florida-will-mushchamp-michigan-brady-hoke-coaching-carousel)

RossDawg82
10-22-2014, 02:17 PM
hmmmmm

HoopsDawg
10-22-2014, 02:19 PM
It doesn't sound like their is a slam-dunk for Foley to hire. Maybe Freeze, but the only way he's leaving Oxford is in a pine box.**

TrapGame
10-22-2014, 02:39 PM
I wonder if Freeze has enough plausible denial to leave the bag men and Bjork hanging with the NCAA. He may actually have to take the Florida job as an out.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Looks like SI read Elitedawgs last night

Dawgheadcheese
10-22-2014, 03:09 PM
I want Freeze to stay at OM. I think he is fools gold for them and he doesn't worry me at all. He and his staff lucked their asses off when they signed that "top 5" class - even he knows that. Eventually, it will come back to his ability as a coach whether OM succeeds on a regular basis - and I expect mediocracy in a big way.

Lloyd Christmas
10-22-2014, 03:11 PM
I want Freeze to stay at OM. I think he is fools gold for them and he doesn't worry me at all. He and his staff lucked their asses off when they signed that "top 5" class - even he knows that. Eventually, it will come back to his ability as a coach whether OM succeeds on a regular basis - and I expect mediocracy in a big way.

If luck is green and flat then yes it was luck.

AlSwearengen
10-22-2014, 03:36 PM
I am still waiting for someone to show me proof that Bucky is this great recruiting disciple that he is made out to be. I need to be convinced that he can pull more than a couple of four stars per year without the rebel boosters holding his hand.

From what I can tell, the guy doesnt really possess a magnetic personality that a great recruiter usually has. He comes across more like a high school coach than someone who should be rubbing elbows with Saban, Richt, Spurrier, and the rest. I don't hear much of a buzz when he visits local high schools. I could go on and on, but we have hashed through all of this many times. He is a preachy version of billy brewer and we know about billy brewer.

Johnson85
10-22-2014, 04:13 PM

I wouldn't write him off yet. To me he he is progressing very similarly to Mullen around the same time. Despite being an offensive coach, his success is due more to the defensive side of the ball. It took Mullen a while to get the pieces in place for his offense. He was probably hurt some by having a very solid player in Russell that didn't fit his scheme. If Russell hadn't been here, Mullen might would have had some more success in recruiting qb's and/or turned the keys over to Dak earlier.

But while I think he's a good recruiter, I do think his reputation exceeds him a little bit. It looks like he is going to be going into year 4 without a QB and without a between the tackles runner. I understand it taking a while to build an offensive line, but it seems like in year 4 in Mississippi you should have a QB you feel good about on the roster and be in good shape at RB.

Bucky Dog
10-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Meanwhile, Finebaum keeps spewing Mullen as the obvious front runner for Florida. Why wouldn't he go back to where he has been before? Who wouldn't take a $2MM raise? Then says he doesn't think Freeze is going because he is more at home in Oxford and is really comfortable there. Says he can see Millen being the one to jump ship for a better opportunity!
What a douche!

PassInterference
10-22-2014, 05:26 PM
From what I can tell, the guy doesnt really possess a magnetic personality that a great recruiter usually has.

Don't kid yourself. Freeze walks out of homes having croot and mama believing it is God's will for the kid to attend Ole Miss.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Meanwhile, Finebaum keeps spewing Mullen as the obvious front runner for Florida. Why wouldn't he go back to where he has been before? Who wouldn't take a $2MM raise?
What a douche!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/

Boom makes 24K more than Mullen according to this article. And that article is not correct actually on what Mullen really makes

FlabLoser
10-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Looks like SI read Elitedawgs last night

NAFOOM concurs.

http://nafoom.yuku.com/topic/49709/Looks-like-this-SI-writer-has-been-reading-too-much-ED

And they've investigate the background of the author in a desperate attempt to debunk the obvious.

Todd4State
10-22-2014, 11:15 PM
It doesn't sound like their is a slam-dunk for Foley to hire. Maybe Freeze, but the only way he's leaving Oxford is in a pine box.**

They may not hire Freeze, but it's hilarious that Ole Miss has launched this grass roots campaign about Dan leaving in a lame attempt to hurt our recruiting or to make them feel better about themselves when Freeze is actually more likely to leave than Dan.

Todd4State
10-22-2014, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't write him off yet. To me he he is progressing very similarly to Mullen around the same time. Despite being an offensive coach, his success is due more to the defensive side of the ball. It took Mullen a while to get the pieces in place for his offense. He was probably hurt some by having a very solid player in Russell that didn't fit his scheme. If Russell hadn't been here, Mullen might would have had some more success in recruiting qb's and/or turned the keys over to Dak earlier.

But while I think he's a good recruiter, I do think his reputation exceeds him a little bit. It looks like he is going to be going into year 4 without a QB and without a between the tackles runner. I understand it taking a while to build an offensive line, but it seems like in year 4 in Mississippi you should have a QB you feel good about on the roster and be in good shape at RB.

The biggest difference is his recruiting philosophy is not sustainable. I would say that they are doing now is sort of like what we did with Jackie and the JUCO's. Basically what they are doing is trying to find 4-5 elite national type recruits with their hands out for cash and hope that those guys can take them to the top. When you do that, you create a very unstable culture within your program because those guys that you are paying essentially run the program because they have you by the balls. And on top of that, you are risking a NCAA investigation big time because you are going to be pissing off a lot of major programs. But the biggest risk is when something goes bad- like a loss in a big game- because what happens is when the inmates control the asylum it's hard to reign them in and get them back on track and it's real easy to lose control. I think they have enough senior leaders with guys like DT Shackelford, Prewitt, and even Bo being a senior that are essentially their versions of Barrin Simpson and keeping people in check. But they have been very lucky that really the only major set back that they have had under Freeze was losing the Egg Bowl last year- and then they were able to ease the pain by winning the Music City Bowl. Eventually they will have a bad loss, and the bottom is going to fall out.

DawgHouseUnited
10-23-2014, 08:06 AM
They may not hire Freeze, but it's hilarious that Ole Miss has launched this grass roots campaign about Dan leaving in a lame attempt to hurt our recruiting or to make them feel better about themselves when Freeze is actually more likely to leave than Dan.

I'm sure that you know that they launched that campaign a few years ago... That's nothing recent, unless it's an upswing in how strongly they're making those claims.

basedog
10-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Finebaum is all over the place, he also said he didn't see Mullen leaving Starkville a few weeks ago. All media folks are looking for stories to get folks reading and calling in, I don't take what the fishwraps have to say very seriously nor talk on sports shows! Only Dan knows what is about to happen! Oh, I do like to hear predictions on games, sometimes outsiders don't wear dark sunglasses.

As for as Bucky, he has done a good job, he has them believing regardless of the fire water he serves them. Beating them in Oxford would really stir the pot especially if we go to Atlanta, which I think we will.

Dawg61
10-23-2014, 10:03 AM
I think it'll be the less well-known players at Ole Miss that'll take down the whole ship. Guys working harder than the Paidwells and Nkemdicks that aren't getting paid, jealousy throughout the team will show up. If Bucky kicks off a couple of guys that didn't get paid but know all about Nkemdicks situation cause he's a dumbfu@k that no doubt has to brag about his money then all they have to do is start leaking stories to the media. It's coming. Can't escape it forever.

NashDawgMan
10-23-2014, 11:36 AM

So to be clear, you would prefer TSUN to have a coach that has made their team better each year he's been there, brought in a top 5 recruiting class, and currently has them at #3 in the nation?

Personally, I would prefer Orgeron or Nutt any day of the week.