PDA

View Full Version : Best HS payer you played with/against?

Leroy Jenkins
10-22-2014, 12:07 PM
For me, I would say Edward Prather or Dicenzo Miller. They were both sophomores at the time I believe, which made it more impressive to me.

http://couponbomb.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/6002034545_d64bfe1e81.jpg

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 12:14 PM
I played against Dicenzo his senior year and brother im telling you he was nearly unstoppable. Bo Woodard was on that team too and he was a beast. Played against Von Hutchins too when he was Cathedral. He was tough.

engie
10-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Zach Grienke and Prince Fielder

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Lester Earl
Charles Hathaway
Marcus Bullard
Synika Taylor
Kobe Bryant (same tournament... didn't get to play against him though).

I'm sure I'm missing a few...

TheRef
10-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Played against Cam Lawrence. Beat him for the state championship his senior year.

msstate7
10-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Tough to top

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Don Smith

thunt
10-22-2014, 12:31 PM
jemarcus russel

RIdog
10-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Larry Kramer and Ben Williams (Yazoo City) , both ended up at TSUN .

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Eric Zeier
Marlon Byrd (Still Playing!!)
Kris Benson (hit me twice w/ fastballs)
Shane Monahan

An just to name drop, Marcus Alexander "Buff" Bagwell

engie
10-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Tough to top

Actually beat Grienke @ Apopka in our second matchup against them. They brought him out of center in middle relief and he just didn't have "it" that day. Walked a guy then gave up an RBI double to a teammate of mine that's still in MLB. Grienke was a more impressive hitter in the 2 games we played against him. We threw what eventually became an elite SEC pitcher in game 1 and they destroyed him. Came back with prettymuch a right handed Ross Mitchell and won a shutout 1-0 to take the tourney. Funny how more talented high school teams(and college teams for that matter) most often struggle to deal with the change of pace. The way it actually went down, I was surprised when I saw his draft projection and how high he actually went a little over a year later. He was a big deal and there were a bunch of scouts there -- but we sure didn't know how big of deal yet or we probably would have grabbed a few autographs...

Fielder was the best pure hitter I've ever seen live in person. He shut down our pregame to watch him take BP with a wood bat. Actually used wood on the summer travelling circuit in a metal bat league the first year of the -3s. His swing was literally scary to people on the right side of the field. He was a pretty intimidating guy overall. Just so much bigger and stronger than everybody else.

bulldawg28
10-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Brian Cole (Meridian) best player ive played against in high school, JC, or the SEC
Kenny Smith (Meridian)
Freddie Millions (Starkville)
Eddie Strong (South Panola)
Toward Sanford (South Panola)
Kevin Jones (South Panola)
Mike Goss (Louisville)

Really Clark?
10-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Steve McNair

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Matt McCalphin of Mize was the best Baseball player I ever played against. He smoked me in the ribs with a 90 mph fastball in a game when it was under 40 degrees. It was awful. lol

thedawg
10-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Marcus West at Columbus. He went on to be a stud at Memphis.. All Cusa in 04 and 05.. I had no answer.. He was tall and long and I just couldn't block him when he didn't want me to.. He was so long I couldn't cut him.. I took a cheap shot out of frustration.. Didn't even get him off his feet.. Just got a flag.. There were other really good players at Panola and Starkville (Tee Millons) among others but as far as who lined up across from me all night West was good

thedawg
10-22-2014, 12:55 PM
We also played Memphis East that year who won the Tennessee state title... They had a line backer that was a stud.. I mean really good.. Don't remember his name.. Anyways he was on the First 48 a few years ago as a murder victim.. He was a real live gangster killer.. So I give him most dangerous human I played against award

RBritt
10-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Bernard Sykes at Northwest in juco. He should still be in the nfl but got caught up in shit.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2014, 12:59 PM

Definitely top notch. Engie, you would have really enjoyed playing ball in our region in Cobb County, GA. My SR. year in HS I faced 12 pitchers in region games that either got drafted or pitched D1. 20+ years later it is still the SECW of HS baseball in GA. Made me feel not so bad about my .250 BA and .500 OBP.

RossDawg82
10-22-2014, 01:08 PM

I pitched against Prince at a baseball tourney in Orlando. That was when he was a pile of slop and not a man beast like he is today.

RossDawg82
10-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Definitely top notch. Engie, you would have really enjoyed playing ball in our region in Cobb County, GA. My SR. year in HS I faced 12 pitchers in region games that either got drafted or pitched D1. 20+ years later it is still the SECW of HS baseball in GA. Made me feel not so bad about my .250 BA and .500 OBP.

I traveled most of the country playing baseball, and the East Cobb Astros were the best all around team I have ever seen or played against.

headcoach98
10-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Ontario Harper, played against him from 7th-11th grade. Dude was a phenom on the court.

BankerDog
10-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Played against Tony Conner in his first career start at SP.

Nick Brassell
Nick Parker
Jonathan Calvin my SR. Year. He was the best DE I went up against my whole time as a LT in 6A. Glad we have him on board
Malik Dear
D'Arthur Cowan was a good WR. Todd Mays

Tough Dawg
10-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Walter Payton

Tough Dawg
10-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Ok. I'm kidding.....are we talking football or baseball? Or any sport?

Aces High
10-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Monta Ellis

engie
10-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Yeah, Cobb County select ball was ridiculous. We played a ton of games against teams from there growing up. The amount of talent subdivided between 10-20 "select" teams was just stupid. If you could keep and combine those guys onto one college team, it would be a dynasty like baseball has never seen. Not since the USC days long before my time anyway. We had basically all of the central MS area talent(which pales in comparison to UGA obviously) but we had the advantage of many of us playing together from the time we were 6 through highschool...

Actually beat the East Cobb Astros in a spring break Slidell "World Series" I think in 1998. Ended up getting bounced by them that summer at the actual AAU World Series at Disney in the Braves Spring Training facility, then watched them go on to win the national title. I may be misremembering, but it seems like we may have been their only loss through that whole summer. I know we were something like 67-6 and didn't lose a game inside the state borders of MS, but that team was clearly superior to us across the board in spite of the previous loss...

Tough Dawg
10-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Baseball

Tim Dillard from Saltillo. 6'4 sidearm pitcher. Topped out at 97mph. I batted right handed, so that tailing fastball was pretty intimidating.
Michael Spurlock is a name that comes to mind in little league baseball. Probably mature earlier than we did, but damn he threw hard and was a hell of SS.
Jeffrey Rea. Couldn't get the kid out to save my life. Was a couple of years younger than I.

Football

Ken Topps from Shannon when I was in HS. We were both QBs and I thought he was impressive. Threw it all over the field. Could run too.

mcain31
10-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Jerious Norwood

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I traveled most of the country playing baseball, and the East Cobb Astros were the best all around team I have ever seen or played against.

That program just about invented travel ball. It grew out of the kids (and their younger brothers) that won the Little League World Series in '83. When I was in HS, they were best but still local talent mostly. Now they bring in players from all over the SE to play on their teams. You had to bring your A game - and when you beat them you felt like you just beat the Yankees.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Yeah, Cobb County select ball was ridiculous. We played a ton of games against teams from there growing up. The amount of talent subdivided between 10-20 "select" teams was just stupid. If you could keep and combine those guys onto one college team, it would be a dynasty like baseball has never seen. Not since the USC days long before my time anyway. We had basically all of the central MS area talent(which pales in comparison to UGA obviously) but we had the advantage of many of us playing together from the time we were 6 through highschool...

Actually beat the East Cobb Astros in a spring break Slidell "World Series" I think in 1998. Ended up getting bounced by them that summer at the actual AAU World Series at Disney in the Braves Spring Training facility, then watched them go on to win the national title. I may be misremembering, but it seems like we may have been their only loss through that whole summer. I know we were something like 67-6 and didn't lose a game inside the state borders of MS, but that team was clearly superior to us across the board in spite of the previous loss...
Which is why I still can't figure out why UGA has never tapped into EC as a pipeline. They should just offer scholarships to anyone who plays for them and hope for the best.

Summer '90, I was on the "B" All-Star team for my park in a 4 team state tourney (set up like Super Regional is now) to go to Texas. Took out our A team, and East Cobb's A team, and went to the final out in game 2 against East Cobb's B before they hit a walk off. I was crushed - but it was all my Dad could do to hide how happy he was that he wasn't going need to pay for a trip to Texas.

Dawgtini
10-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Marcus Dupree - baseball 1980 or 1981. Man child.

bulldogcountry1
10-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Kevin Prentiss

He was a year older than me when I made the WC baseball team. I showed up for the first varsity game (freshmen didn't dress) to watch, and there was a guy on our team leading off and playing SS who hadn't been to a single practice. I had never seen him before in my life, and it was like the twilight zone.

Turns out, it was Prentiss, who had been playing basketball during spring practice. He was pretty impressive in every sport and a good guy to boot.

RossDawg82
10-22-2014, 01:51 PM
That program just about invented travel ball. It grew out of the kids (and their younger brothers) that won the Little League World Series in '83. When I was in HS, they were best but still local talent mostly. Now they bring in players from all over the SE to play on their teams. You had to bring your A game - and when you beat them you felt like you just beat the Yankees.

From what I remember, their entire starting line up in 96-98 was either drafted or played D-1 ball. It was automatic

paco
10-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Purvis Short

TheDogFather
10-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Scott "Scotty" Sullivan. Pickens Academy, AL Football and Baseball ''89.

I doubt many will know who this is but had an accomplished career with Cincy Reds.

Averaged almost 10 yards per carry at tailback.

Two state champs in baseball.

drunkernhelldawg
10-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Johnnie Cooks. I didn't play against him, but we had girlfriends who shared an apartment on campus.

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Great thread Leroy!

99jc
10-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Great thread Leroy!

nm

dawgoneyall
10-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Billy Southward- Tishomingo High......not Tish County

WeWillScrewItUp
10-22-2014, 05:02 PM
I played with Chris Gragg (Bills TE), he was a sophomore my senior year. He was a slot guy, if I remember correctly, at the time. He had the best hands of anyone I played with or against. He moved between his sophomore and junior year and grew a couple inches and beefed up big time before he ended up at Arkansas.

bgover4
10-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Philip rivers

Fred Garvin
10-22-2014, 06:56 PM
1) Kenny Gambrell
2) Joe Coleman
3) eddie Archie

cpilkenton
10-22-2014, 07:10 PM
For me, I would say Edward Prather or Dicenzo Miller. They were both sophomores at the time I believe, which made it more impressive to me.

http://couponbomb.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/6002034545_d64bfe1e81.jpg

Al Wilson and Tony Delk

stalkingpoon
10-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Jamariey Atterberry. Dude was lock down at CB and had great ball skills with the ball. Still pisses me off to this day he flipped.

shoeless joe
10-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Football: jerious Norwood

Baseball: Van pope- was as clutch as anyone I've ever seen. Also a poster child of how talent alone can't get you to the big leagues
Will also add that the mentally toughest absolute bulldog I've ever faced was justin pigott. Got every single ounce of ability out of himself.

Church league basketball: Seth Smith. Was a fairly decent baseball player also*

smootness
10-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Eric Zeier
Marlon Byrd (Still Playing!!)
Kris Benson (hit me twice w/ fastballs)
Shane Monahan

An just to name drop, Marcus Alexander "Buff" Bagwell

How in the world did you play with Buff Bagwell and Marlon Byrd?

turkish
10-22-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm surprised Stephen Gostkowski hasn't been mentioned. He was a standout in soccer, baseball, and I really don't know about football, ironically.

DCdawg
10-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Played against Jamerson Love and Channing Ward my senior year in football.

Also faced Stratton and Brandon Woodruff in baseball. Not any of the big names like some in this thread, but solid players.

It_Could_Happen
10-22-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm a recent guy so this will bra shock to a lot of you. Hunter Henry, the TE at arkansas now. He ripped us apart in Hs. Also a couple of years before I was in high school, we played the school that has Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, and Chris Gragg all on one team. It was the best high school id ever seen in person.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2014, 09:12 PM
How in the world did you play with Buff Bagwell and Marlon Byrd?

Buff was a Sr. at Sprayberry when I was a Freshman at Marietta - crossed paths in summer league. Byrd was a Freshman at Sprayberry my Sr. year. He played as a freshman.

Maroonthirteen
10-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Todd Jordan, Juan Long and Russell Copeland. Copeland played at Memphis and the Bills.

They all played baseball too. Juan hit a homer vs us. I doubt that ball has landed to this day.

Played against an OM baseball player, that Ill only say was from Amory. Cocky prick. I threw at him that night.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
10-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Nm

Westdawg
10-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Against :
Justin Griffith. That was one monster dude trucking through the line toting the rock.
With:
Conner Stephens. A literal man amongst boys at the 2A level.

Oxfordawg
10-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Against Mario Haggan in the North half it was a blow out that team was incredible

JDog13
10-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Will Overstreet, Jason Cabel, Matt Walker.

Westdawg
10-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Atterberry put us out of the playoffs nearly by himself his Sr yr. I would also include

Against: Pat Patterson, Deontae Skinner, Arceto Clark, Tyler Pritchard

With: William Shumpert

You from Houston? I know Atterberry was at Kosy. I really hate MSU didn't get him. That was some serious shady recruiting. Kid ended up going to OM. He really didn't want to be there from what I gathered and never really got much traction once on campus there. Not a bad kid. And yes, one heckuva football player!! One of the best Kosy turned out , he and Tim Bell who was dandy dozen, juco all state and played at USCe.

Mutt the Hoople
10-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Played against Jerald Baylis (later USM all-American and all-time CFL great) when he was at Callaway and I was at Meridian High. They lined him up all over the place, and every time I tried to block him I whiffed. Distant second was Ricky George (played at MSU) of Gulfport. Had him lined up for a perfect trap block, and he just stuffed me with his forearm.

stalkingpoon
10-23-2014, 04:43 AM
You from Houston? I know Atterberry was at Kosy. I really hate MSU didn't get him. That was some serious shady recruiting. Kid ended up going to OM. He really didn't want to be there from what I gathered and never really got much traction once on campus there. Not a bad kid. And yes, one heckuva football player!! One of the best Kosy turned out , he and Tim Bell who was dandy dozen, juco all state and played at USCe.

Probably IAHS. He scored 6 or 7 TDS that game. Seems like every time they scored he ran the kickoff for a TD.
I know everything about his recruitment and yes it was shady as hell. Scott Lindsey can choke on a dick for all I care.

sbcmortgageman
10-23-2014, 04:43 AM
Played against Todd Wade and Jeff Walker. Played with Scott Polk and he was a hella football player.

I seen it dawg
10-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Coach34 say Kenyatta Fleet RHP Hinds...

Aces High
10-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Jamariey Atterberry. Dude was lock down at CB and had great ball skills with the ball. Still pisses me off to this day he flipped.

He was pissed he flipped after the fact too. He always wanted to come to state. Ask him.

Westdawg
10-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Probably IAHS. He scored 6 or 7 TDS that game. Seems like every time they scored he ran the kickoff for a TD.
I know everything about his recruitment and yes it was shady as hell. Scott Lindsey can choke on a dick for all I care.

Scott Lindsey!!! Now I remember that whole recruitment. It has been so long I forgot.

stalkingpoon
10-23-2014, 08:16 AM
He was pissed he flipped after the fact too. He always wanted to come to state. Ask him.

Ha I know. I talk to him just about everyday.

And yes Scott Lindsey was a scumbag way before the getting lost ordeal.

Aces High
10-23-2014, 08:21 AM

He made the choice. Hopefully, he will tell future recruits good advice.

rbdog82
10-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Several friends formed a basketball team that played in a league at that building across from the NEJSO; I forget the name but it was where people played indoor soccer. My friends were all private school guys that didn't play on the varsity team for their respective school. Once of the teams they played in that league was named the Baby Bulls. The starting five was David Sanders, Justin Reed, Aaron Harper, Marcus Terrell (I believe he played at USM; he was an absolute freak), and Michael Kriss (token tall private school kid). Needless to say, that game didn't end well for my friends.

FISHDAWG
10-23-2014, 10:00 AM
played with Donald Ray King and against Eddie Hornback

quickstrike2
10-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Stevan Ridley while he was a sophomore. He was tough to bring down.

vv83
10-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Surprisingly Kendrick Market. Dude ran for about 250 yards against us and just refused to go down. Snoop really didn't do anything at all that game.
Justin Cox was really impressive when we played them as well

defiantdog
10-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Played with Doug Buckles, Chris Spencer, Mike Espy, Parys Haralson, Beaver Gostkowski and few others at MC. My boy BoBo Brown was best on the team though.... if he just had a lick of sense, he could have played anywhere. Jerious Norwood was probably the hardest to defend. I was a senior when he was a junior. He played qb and never threw the ball one time. We just couldn't tackle him.... I think he put up over 200 yards on us my senior year.

Yossarian
10-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Gale Sayers in 1960.

Intramural All-American
10-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Played with Doug Buckles, Chris Spencer, Mike Espy, Parys Haralson, Beaver Gostkowski and few others at MC. My boy BoBo Brown was best on the team though.... if he just had a lick of sense, he could have played anywhere. Jerious Norwood was probably the hardest to defend. I was a senior when he was a junior. He played qb and never threw the ball one time. We just couldn't tackle him.... I think he put up over 200 yards on us my senior year.

What year did you graduate? My brothers graduated in 02 and 04, and I graduated in 07. And, yes, Bobo was an absolute stud. It's a good thing he only had to memorize 6 plays in high school, though.

I pitched against the stacked West Lauderdale team with Paxton Pace, Cody Freeman, and Rams QB Austin Davis.

Played against the Dixon freaks every year, and faced Stratton in HS.

I didn't actually play, but I watched Pedro Alvarez play in the NABF World Series in Jackson.

defiantdog
10-23-2014, 08:05 PM
What year did you graduate? My brothers graduated in 02 and 04, and I graduated in 07. And, yes, Bobo was an absolute stud. It's a good thing he only had to memorize 6 plays in high school, though.

I pitched against the stacked West Lauderdale team with Paxton Pace, Cody Freeman, and Rams QB Austin Davis.

Played against the Dixon freaks every year, and faced Stratton in HS.

I didn't actually play, but I watched Pedro Alvarez play in the NABF World Series in Jackson.

I graduated in '01 from Madison Central and '05 from MSU. And Bobo didn't memorize a damn thing. Bradberry had to literally tell him where he was running out of the huddle every time.... and that was our senior year.

deltadawg99
10-23-2014, 09:47 PM

What is he doing now? Didn't he transfer from OM?

deltadawg99
10-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Seth Smith. I didn't play baseball but he was a stud QB.

He was a complete f ing Douche and I've never heard anybody actually say anything nice about him.

Mutt the Hoople
10-23-2014, 10:39 PM

He was a complete f ing Douche and I've never heard anybody actually say anything nice about him.
Actually, Seth Smith went to my church in Mississippi, and he was a very nice guy...and this was AFTER Papelbon struck him out in the WS.

rbdog82
10-24-2014, 08:33 AM

Played basketball against Smith, and you're correct...complete douche in high school. Maybe something has changed since then.

Dawg Tired
10-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Lester Earl
Charles Hathaway
Marcus Bullard
Synika Taylor
Kobe Bryant (same tournament... didn't get to play against him though).

I'm sure I'm missing a few...

I played against a Synika Taylor from Gulfport I believe. Is that the same guy? Man he was hard to bring down.

Smitty
10-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Jarrod Parks