PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell: Kentucky will never have sustained football success because..

Lloyd Christmas
10-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Football will ALWAYS be second fiddle to hoops there.

Buy. Who wants to coach at a place where people are just marking their calendars for basketball season?

maroonmania
10-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Depends on how you define success. If its just being a perennial bowl team then sell. If its competing for East division championships regularly or being routinely ranked then buy.

War Machine Dawg
10-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Buy in bulk. Look no further than when they had the Bear coaching football and Rupp coaching basketball. Both won the SEC one year. At an awards banquet, UK gave Rupp a Cadillac. The Bear got a gold plated cigarette lighter or something ridiculous like that. He promptly quit and went to aTm. They have never, and will never, care enough about football to be relevant consistently.

Pollodawg
10-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Buy in bulk. Look no further than when they had the Bear coaching football and Rupp coaching basketball. Both won the SEC one year. At an awards banquet, UK gave Rupp a Cadillac. The Bear got a gold plated cigarette lighter or something ridiculous like that. He promptly quit and went to aTm. They have never, and will never, care enough about football to be relevant consistently.

Which makes no sense because they continually rank among the top in the conference in fan attendance. But I agree. Their fans are already talking about basketball season and they are--what--5-2 on the year and will probably be a bowl team for the first time since 2010.

M.Fillmore
10-22-2014, 12:37 PM

You are right. Bear Bryant told the exact story in his autobiography.

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 12:43 PM
sell. I don't understand why split priorities hVe to be competing priorities. our Ath programs do a great job building off of each other. UK could so that too.

However, I don't think they'll ever be a football power. it's a lack of talent in that area though, not because of their basketball program. between the SeC, Big Ten, and Louisville picking up players in their region, which is already depleted of talent, there's just not enough to go around.

Lloyd Christmas
10-22-2014, 01:08 PM
sell. I don't understand why split priorities hVe to be competing priorities. our Ath programs do a great job building off of each other. UK could so that too.

However, I don't think they'll ever be a football power. it's a lack of talent in that area though, not because of their basketball program. between the SeC, Big Ten, and Louisville picking up players in their region, which is already depleted of talent, there's just not enough to go around.

They aren't split priorities though..at least not 50/50. More like 75% basketball/25% football.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Sell.

SEC has too much money coming into each school now. No need to ONLY focus on one sport anymore, when you have the money to be competitive in all sports now

ckDOG
10-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Agree. One step further, I think they are simply screwed geographically. The local athletes focus on basketball first, so that makes your local talent pool even smaller. The northern talent stays in the north and the southern talent stays in the south. Who wants to go to Kentucky to play football? Not a lot of kids and for the ones that do, Louisville is much easier logistically.

Johnson85
10-22-2014, 01:23 PM

I don't think it's that splitting priorities are necessarily competing, it's that there is no incentive for a coach to become UK's Beamer or SNyder (or hopefully, Mullen). Let's say a Mullen goes there and puts his stamp on the program and does well. At MSU, Mullen is going to get a statue and be worshipped. At UK, he might would get a statue of him holding Rupp's jock. They'll eventually have a good run, and when they do, I think it's less likely that the coach that gives it to them will stay because he won't ever be the man the way Coach Cal is.

TrapGame
10-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Sell.

I see Stoops actually doing something there. SEC champion? No, I don't think that will ever happen with UK football but multiple bowl appearances and some 8-4 seasons are a distinct possibility under Stoops.

RC3
10-22-2014, 02:37 PM
If we can do it, so can they. Sell

Goat Holder
10-22-2014, 02:39 PM
If we can do it, so can they. Sell

What football success have we ever sustained?