PDA

View Full Version : Media picks MSU to finish last in SEC in hoops, per Twitter.

Jacksondevildog
10-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Embarrassing.

TheRef
10-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Time to prove 'em wrong.

maroonmania
10-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Shocker

Coach34
10-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Well shit- I guess that settles it then

Goat Holder
10-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Didn't one of our starters get hurt the other day or something?

Jacksondevildog
10-22-2014, 11:09 AM
The Juco power forward from Jones blew out a knee. Out for the year. We have set a Guinness book of world records for most ACL injuries over a three-year span.

thf24
10-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Didn't one of our starters get hurt the other day or something?

Sword had surgery for I believe a bulging disc, should miss two weeks at most.

Goat Holder
10-22-2014, 11:12 AM
The Juco power forward from Jones blew our a knee. Out for the year. We have set a Guinness book of world records for most ACL injuries over a three-year span.

Just googled this: http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2014/10/13/6972097/mississippi-state-basketball-injuries-craig-sword-johnny-zuppardo

Sword out too with a bulging disc surgery? That sucks. I don't know much about the team but I know Sword was one of the better ones. Those disc injuries are hard to come back from.

At what point is this stuff just systemic of Ray?

thf24
10-22-2014, 11:15 AM
At what point is this stuff just systemic of Ray?

Despite supporting Ray, I have to say there is reason to wonder at this point with the mounting number of ACL's over his tenure thus far.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Is anyone surprised?

PMDawg
10-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Embarrassing.

It's only embarrassing if we finish there. What'd they predict us in football? 5th or 6th in the West? We should have never even suited up I guess.

MadDawg
10-22-2014, 11:41 AM
It's only embarrassing if we finish there. What'd they predict us in football? 5th or 6th in the West? We should have
never even suited up I guess.

The big difference being that being picked 6th in the west in football means you are predicted to be a borderline top25 team. Being picked 14th in the sec in basketball means you are predicted to be somewhere in the 150-250 range in the country.

MarketingBully01
10-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Embarrassing.

At least there is no where to go but up. Anything out of this team is a bonus. We are Vandy in football.

Jacksondevildog
10-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Being picked 5th in the SEC west in football and being picked to finish last in the SEC in basketball are two different situations. I would hope that you would understand that.

HoopsDawg
10-22-2014, 11:51 AM
I think we are going to shock the world and finish 11th.

Goat Holder
10-22-2014, 11:52 AM
So what is expected this year? I would think at least NIT contention. If he can't do that in Year 3 he probably won't ever get it done. However I think he needs Year 4 no matter what just to see all his first-year freshmen become seniors, and see what happens with Malik Newman. But to get Newman, we'll need a pulse this year just to give people hope.

Dawg61
10-22-2014, 04:29 PM
How in da fu@k is Tennessee that lost eight players and a head coach picked above MSU in year three of RR? Talk about no respect.

chef dixon
10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Wow. The more I think about it the more they may be correct. We gained a little momentum at the end of year 1. We then started year 2 as a seemingly improved team, but seriously digressed and diarrhea'd the bed uncontrollably to finish. We were worse at the end of year 2 than we were at the end of year 1. Hopefully something has clicked.

drunkernhelldawg
10-22-2014, 04:52 PM
All ya' gotta do to get down the mountain is slide. Easy and fast.

maroonmania
10-22-2014, 04:54 PM
I fear that basketball at MSU is quickly turning into something to piddle around with a little to get us from the end of football season to the beginning of baseball season. Hate to see it go that way but Ray is going to have to show some results this year or he is going to lose what fan support he does have.

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 04:59 PM
I fear that basketball at MSU is quickly turning into something to piddle around with a little to get us from the end of football season to the beginning of baseball season. Hate to see it go that way but Ray is going to have to show some results this year or he is going to lose what fan support he does have.

welcome to my brain four years ago. We haven't cared about basketball in nearly half a decade. it's incredibly frustrating that we refuse to try to field a winner. We do it in football and baseball, but won't make the hard decisions needed to support a real basketball program. We've let OM catch us... a historically joke of a program in OM has caught us. That's more embarrassing than being picked last in the league... which we've most definitely earned.

We went from a laughing stock in the bleachers to a laughing stock on the floor. Neither is acceptable.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Let's all stay calm and let the season play out....

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/32784349/GYI0063906944.0_standard_730.0.jpg

mparkerfd20
10-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Croom 2.0. I'm just waiting for our next Mullen to be hired on the basketball court.

drunkernhelldawg
10-22-2014, 05:43 PM
We owned basketball, not just in this state but throughout the region: Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee (less completely), and of course the home state. It was a big deal. Now we are forgetting, just as all who pass forget . . .

shannondawg
10-22-2014, 05:59 PM
For some strange reason, I have a feeling we are gonna do better than any suspected. Having a hard time typing thru these maroon colored glasses, but I do have that feeling for the first time since Ray arrived on the scene.

engie
10-22-2014, 06:04 PM
For some strange reason, I have a feeling we are gonna do better than any suspected. Having a hard time typing thru these maroon colored glasses, but I do have that feeling for the first time since Ray arrived on the scene.

I'm with you.

i think we see a whole new game defensively this year now that we've got the depth to do it...

Coach34
10-22-2014, 06:13 PM
We owned basketball, not just in this state but throughout the region: Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee (less completely), and of course the home state. .

We were the 5th best team in a 12 team SEC...that was hardly owning anything

And LSU won more SEC titles and made a FF and Sweet 16 during that time as well- so it could be argued we were the 6th best

Coach34
10-22-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm with you.

i think we see a whole new game defensively this year now that we've got the depth to do it...

We're going to be improved this year...how much? I'm not sure. But I think we are going to surprise some folks

PMDawg
10-22-2014, 07:19 PM
The big difference being that being picked 6th in the west in football means you are predicted to be a borderline top25 team. Being picked 14th in the sec in basketball means you are predicted to be somewhere in the 150-250 range in the country.

Totally missed the point, but whatever.

Dawg61
10-22-2014, 07:41 PM
We were the 5th best team in a 12 team SEC...that was hardly owning anything

And LSU won more SEC titles and made a FF and Sweet 16 during that time as well- so it could be argued we were the 6th best

We were 4th not 5th and that was for a 15 year stretch. #1 Kentucky, #2 Florida, #3 Tennessee, #4 MSU. That's most wins and most SEC wins.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-22-2014, 08:24 PM
I agree...the team has shown great effort and has been in many games, but they've simply worn out due to lack of depth in the second half. Im hoping some added depth will result in pulling out a couple of close games. Having the football team playing so well can only help the bball tram's psyche.

DanDority
10-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, what did the media vote our football team to finish?

TheRef
10-22-2014, 08:27 PM

I believe 4th in the West.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 08:30 PM
We were 4th not 5th and that was for a 15 year stretch. #1 Kentucky, #2 Florida, #3 Tennessee, #4 MSU. That's most wins and most SEC wins.

I think NCAA Tourney appearances and success in it count as well. Vandy and LSU had more Tourney success- that is greater than a few SEC wins over a few years

Coach34
10-22-2014, 08:32 PM

We were 5th or 6th in most polls in the West

smootness
10-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Media picks MSU to finish outside the top 25 in football in Mullen's sixth year. Embarrassing***

Let's just let it play out. Obviously we don't have a ton of new players or a huge recruiting class, so the media won't assume we'll be much better until we do it on the court, just like this year's football team.

I agree with those who are optimistic about this year's team. Ware, Sword, and Thomas should be legitimate SEC players by now, and I think Travis Daniels may be our best player (at least best scorer) from day one. Hopefully Ready can stay healthy, which would be huge for us. Then add in guys who do specific things very well like Ndoye, Black, and Houston, and we could be tough. I don't think anyone would predict a borderline NCAA Tournament team, but we could beat some people this year.

drunkernhelldawg
10-22-2014, 08:44 PM
I think NCAA Tourney appearances and success in it count as well. Vandy and LSU had more Tourney success- that is greater than a few SEC wins over a few years

That's opinion. The records factually show that we had winning records over every team in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana. My original point is that we owned the region in basketball. I stand by it, as do the facts,.

DanDority
10-22-2014, 08:46 PM
We were 5th or 6th in most polls in the West

Yeah, I didn't think those Wizards knew too much, but a lot of our fans seem to think they know more than most.

Aces High
10-22-2014, 08:49 PM
I agree with coach on most but he is a dipshit on basketball. ray could coach us 20 years and never make the dance or win the west. We are a joke program that 500 will show up and watch.

SometimeS, you have to be the bigger man and admit you are wrong.

Draw this in crayon. We will NEVER be as good as we were with stands. Was that mediocre? Maybe....but it will be better than we will ever see in our lifetime.

Ill wager almost any bet on that...

Dawg61
10-22-2014, 08:50 PM

Top 4 in the SEC for a fifteen year stretch.

Rick Stansbury

A few tidbits about Stansbury:
He won more SEC championships in the last 10 years than any other SEC program except Kentucky 12..
Miss St 8 ( Florida 6 )
WCC 03,04,07,08,2010
SEC Tournament Champs 02,09
Overall 04...

•In SEC Ky, Fla have won more games in 14 years, 293 wins.
•Rated 9th in the history of SEC winningest coaches , 293 wins.
•Only Ky, Fla won more SEC Tournament games in 14 years.
7 semi finals • Final 4 times • Won tourney 02 & 09.
16-12 in SEC tournament.
• Been to post season 11-14 years. 6 NCAA , 5 NIT...
• Had the longest road winnig streak of any team in America 2003-2005, 16 straight.
• His last 11 seasons , Preseason Sell - Outs , setting all time ticket sales and attendance records.
• Graduated 76% of his 4 year players . Second to Vanderbilt.
• In 14 years , record against Arch Rival Ole Miss 21-8.
• He owned the State of Missisippi when it comes to the top ranked players staying home to play. He locks it down early with the top talent. He recruits the southern states like no other.
Just a few tidbits!!!

Coach34
10-22-2014, 09:07 PM

Rick Stansbury

He won more SEC championships in the last 10 years than any other SEC program except Kentucky 12..
Miss St 8 ( Florida 6 )
WCC 03,04,07,08,2010
Overall 04...

•In SEC Ky, Fla have won more games in 14 years, 293 wins.
•Rated 9th in the history of SEC winningest coaches , 293 wins.
•Only Ky, Fla won more SEC Tournament games in 14 years.
7 semi finals • Final 4 times • Won tourney 02 & 09.
16-12 in SEC tournament.
• Been to post season 11-14 years. 6 NCAA , 5 NIT...
• Had the longest road winnig streak of any team in America 2003-2005, 16 straight.
• His last 11 seasons , Preseason Sell - Outs , setting all time ticket sales and attendance records.
• Graduated 76% of his 4 year players . Second to Vanderbilt.
• In 14 years , record against Arch Rival Ole Miss 21-8.
• He owned the State of Missisippi when it comes to the top ranked players staying home to play. He locks it down early with the top talent. He recruits the southern states like no other.
Just a few tidbits!!!

Need to correct some of that:

1. He was only HC for 14 years- not 15
2. He won only 1 SEC regular season Title in 14 years
3. Stallings went to just as many NCAA Tourneys as Stands- and made the Sweet 16 twice. Only an idiot would say we were better than them during Stands tenure
4. All a West title did was set your SEC Tourney seed

Coach34
10-22-2014, 09:10 PM
I agree with coach on most but he is a dipshit on basketball. ray could coach us 20 years and never make the dance or win the west. We are a joke program that 500 will show up and watch.

SometimeS, you have to be the bigger man and admit you are wrong.

Draw this in crayon. We will NEVER be as good as we were with stands. Was that mediocre? Maybe....but it will be better than we will ever see in our lifetime.

I'd suggest we hold off on all that rhetoric. You did want Mullen fired afterall...

Quaoarsking
10-22-2014, 09:17 PM
No one (well maybe a few morons) is saying that Stans didn't have a good run. I can't imagine how anyone can argue that the last few years of Stans were acceptabble, though. Stans had to go, and that's not really relevant to the evaluation of Ray, regardless.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 09:19 PM
And I'll also add- Ray doesnt have 50% of the support that Stands had. And hasnt at any point. That makes a huge difference in the success of a coach. I've never said Ray will win big- But Miss State will win again like we did under Williams. We will make some noise in the NCAA Tourney again under some coach.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2014, 09:21 PM
So what is expected this year? I would think at least NIT contention. If he can't do that in Year 3 he probably won't ever get it done. However I think he needs Year 4 no matter what just to see all his first-year freshmen become seniors, and see what happens with Malik Newman. But to get Newman, we'll need a pulse this year just to give people hope.

I have no expectations at all. I see no reason to have any.

Coach34
10-22-2014, 09:21 PM
No one (well maybe a few morons) is saying that Stans didn't have a good run. I can't imagine how anyone can argue that the last few years of Stans were acceptabble, though. Stans had to go, and that's not really relevant to the evaluation of Ray, regardless.

Exactly. But that is what too many of the Stands sheep are tied into. If Ray doesnt pan out- then by their logic- obviously firing Stands was wrong. And that is completely assinine on their part

engie
10-22-2014, 09:46 PM

You'd wager any bet that we will NEVER be as good as we were with the last coach, who really wasn't better than the guy before him in the metrics that actually matter?

Another day, another Newman prediction for State. Our doom is certain**

sleepy dawg
10-22-2014, 10:18 PM
When I was at MSU all I had was basketball... Lawrence Roberts, Shane Power, Jamont Gorden, Winsome Frazier, etc. Winning in the regular season was fun. a lot of fun actually. In fact, I loved it. It was all I had, and I was into it, boy. There was no football. There was no baseball. Only basketball.... and that f_cking sucked as hard as I can say it.

Sure, it was fun to be good in basketball, except when you couldn't get tickets anymore if you weren't in line by 7 am and planned on missing all your classes that day. I remember saying (more than once) I would give it all up if we could just be really f_cking good in football... Like BCS bowl good. I would gladly take never winning another basketball game, as much as I enjoyed it. I would take never winning another baseball game as long as I lived if we could just be really good in football.

Well guys, that time has come for me. I hope we do good in basketball and baseball this year. But actually, if we can just keep it up in football, I won't give a flying f_ck about any of it.

What's happening right now is my dream. I just hope that dream comes true.

I'm wide awake.
-Sleepy Dawg

And in case you're wondering, I still went to all the football games back then, numerous baseball games, and as many basketball games as I could.

Dawg61
10-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Exactly. But that is what too many of the Stands sheep are tied into. If Ray doesnt pan out- then by their logic- obviously firing Stands was wrong. And that is completely assinine on their part

I'm no Stands sheep. He should of been fired. I'm just not sold on the new hire. Wasn't when it happened and have seen zero reason why I should be going into year three. jbh

dawgs
10-22-2014, 10:28 PM
The difference between the football predictions and the basketball predictions is that I knew the football predictions were horseshit, and I know the basketball predictions are spot on.

PMDawg
10-22-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm no Stands sheep. He should of been fired. I'm just not sold on the new hire. Wasn't when it happened and have seen zero reason why I should be going into year three. jbh

Same here. But I'm willing to let the season play out and go from there. Media votes dont mean shit. But if RR finishes 14th in the sec, or close to it...probably time to cut bait.

engie
10-22-2014, 10:48 PM
The difference between the football predictions and the basketball predictions is that I knew the football predictions were horseshit, and I know the basketball predictions are spot on.

how do you know this?

dawgs
10-22-2014, 11:52 PM
how do you know this?

Common sense. My eyes.

Put it this way, I'd have been shocked if we finished 5th or 6th in the sec west in football and thought we had a great chance to win 10+ games. In basketball, I'll be shocked if we finish better than 12th and with a record better than .500 overall.

Offshore Dawg
10-23-2014, 05:30 AM
"PLEASE" lets enjoy the Football for now. Some of you are never happy unless you can expound on the negatives. Try to find some joy in life for once.

Dawgface
10-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Until football season is over, basketball is not on my radar. I'll start bitching about it in January.

engie
10-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Common sense. My eyes.
Ah -- so you don't. All you know is what you've "seen" from a severely shorthanded basketball team in the past that is no longer shorthanded. We have 6 pieces that we've never see that are going to play this year, including what's probably our two best players. It's a brand new team.

Put it this way, I'd have been shocked if we finished 5th or 6th in the sec west in football and thought we had a great chance to win 10+ games. In basketball, I'll be shocked if we finish better than 12th and with a record better than .500 overall.
You should probably be ready to be shocked. Or else we can start talking about who the next coach needs to be.

thf24
10-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Common sense. My eyes.

So... you're saying that common sense tells you that after increasing our post depth from one to four players, Daniels (who many close to the program are saying is already our best scorer) finally being able to play, and adding a lights out shooter in Dunlap and a talented wing in Houston, we're undoubtedly no better than last year?

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 08:42 AM
So... you're saying that common sense tells you that after increasing our post depth from one to four players, Daniels (who many close to the program are saying is already our best scorer) finally being able to play, and adding a lights out shooter in Dunlap and a talented wing in Houston, we're undoubtedly no better than last year?

You make a great point. It's important to support our team and give our players a chance to develop and prove themselves, regardless of your feelings on the situation with our program. We don't need to be putting our players down before they've even started the season.

MadDawg
10-23-2014, 09:04 AM
We will make some noise in the NCAA Tourney again under some coach.

Boy, that should make everyone excited!

engie
10-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Rick Stansbury

Miss St 8 ( Florida 6 )
WCC 03,04,07,08,2010
Overall 04...

?In SEC Ky, Fla have won more games in 14 years, 293 wins.
?Rated 9th in the history of SEC winningest coaches , 293 wins.
?Only Ky, Fla won more SEC Tournament games in 14 years.
7 semi finals ? Final 4 times ? Won tourney 02 & 09.
16-12 in SEC tournament.
? Been to post season 11-14 years. 6 NCAA , 5 NIT...
? Had the longest road winnig streak of any team in America 2003-2005, 16 straight.
? His last 11 seasons , Preseason Sell - Outs , setting all time ticket sales and attendance records.
? Graduated 76% of his 4 year players . Second to Vanderbilt.
? In 14 years , record against Arch Rival Ole Miss 21-8.
? He owned the State of Missisippi when it comes to the top ranked players staying home to play. He locks it down early with the top talent. He recruits the southern states like no other.
Just a few tidbits!!!

So, we should take a great deal of solace in the fact that Nebraska(n/a), Northwestern(n/a), USF(n/a), Va Tech(67), South Carolina(73), Rutgers(79), Oregon St(82), DePaul(87), and Arizona St(95) are power conference teams that have a longer Sweet 16 drought than us? Sorry, not buying. If you go ahead and compute overall win percentage over the length of the drought, it will show that MSU is in company that are a full .10+ behind in WP. Basically, since 96, we are the chokingest team in the now 7 power conferences. At some point you roll the dice -- although you could certainly make a case that it should have been one year earlier or later.

headcoach98
10-23-2014, 09:38 AM
If we get anything productive from Fallou to help out Ware plus Daniels then we're not finishing last. Add in an improved/older/experienced Ready.

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 10:14 AM
We have no guards worth a shit thus we cannot be successful. Ray has added depth but he continues to not sign SEC quality guards. Ready and Bloodman are not SEC quality guards. Never under Stansbury did we fail to have All-SEC players, most of the time we had 2 or 3. Under Ray none---let me repeat--that is zero. Engie and Coach continue their agenda to pump up Ray -why? Ray's record will make Him or break Him--it will speak for itself. But until he proves he is worthy, He will take criticism for His shittyness just like an SEC coach making the big bucks who sux big time. Pumping up Ray won't help their hate for Stansbury

At this point Stans needs to out of the basketball equation--referring to him either positively or negatively has nothing to do with Ray and His 3 year run. So we should at this point just discuss the State Of Basketball under Rick Ray. His record will reflect if he is a Real HC. So far he ain't cutting the Mustard. Hope this year he wins 20.

chef dixon
10-23-2014, 10:15 AM
I've been very high on Dunlap. He's the best shooter on our team by far and I think if given the opportunity he can shine.

Coach34
10-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Stands left us in a crater we had to dig out of. I do agree that now we will see what Ray is made of these next 2 years.

Dawg61
10-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Stands left us in a crater we had to dig out of. I do agree that now we will see what Ray is made of these next 2 years.

Already gave him another year. Wow. Let's just give him twenty and change the stands to lawn chairs and a nice pool deck area with a tiki bar. Then we can all sip margaritas and tropical drinks and lay back and watch the shit show.

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 10:42 AM

I believe the Athletic Director lit the fuse. You keep blaming Stansbury, people will have to keep disagreeing. We've all stated our opinions countless times. TCdawg is right; it's time to move on.

sleepy dawg
10-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Considering a large portion of our fans thought the Cohen and Mullen hires were big mistakes after a couple of years, then I will certainly trust our administration to make the right call when necessary over our loud mouthed fans. If he doesn't work out, then he doesn't. But if we fired now, we could've lost out on our Mullen or Cohen of basketball. but.. but... but... no buts, f_ck you.

Ray reminds me a lot of Cohen and Mullen actually. He is trying to build from the base up and trying to really change the culture and do things the right way. That just takes a while, it's not a quick fix. Be patient. We're getting better even though it may not be obvious yet.

thf24
10-23-2014, 10:55 AM
We have no guards worth a shit thus we cannot be successful. Ray has added depth but he continues to not sign SEC quality guards. Ready and Bloodman are not SEC quality guards.

If Fred can continue shooting as well as he did the last 1/3 of last season, he's absolutely an SEC guard. Chicken is fine too; his inside game more than makes up for his lack of range as long as he's got a shooter or two around him to space the floor, which he does this year. And Ready is definitely an SEC guard on offense, just needs a little help on defense. I think Dunlap is going to help us with a few shots this year too. Our backcourt isn't what you'd call stellar or even ideal, but it's a lot better than you're making it out to be.

maroonmania
10-23-2014, 11:10 AM
I believe the Athletic Director lit the fuse. You keep blaming Stansbury, people will have to keep disagreeing. We've all stated our opinions countless times. TCdawg is right; it's time to move on.

Ray is going to get his 4 years. Everyone should be prepared for that unless we are just beyond believably bad this year or something happens with Ray away from the court. Very, very low probability that either of those 2 things happen so anyone not assuming he is here this year and next is just not seeing things straight.

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 11:13 AM
If Fred can continue shooting as well as he did the last 1/3 of last season, he's absolutely an SEC guard. Chicken is fine too; his inside game more than makes up for his lack of range as long as he's got a shooter or two around him to space the floor, which he does this year. And Ready is definitely an SEC guard on offense, just needs a little help on defense. I think Dunlap is going to help us with a few shots this year too. Our backcourt isn't what you'd call stellar or even ideal, but it's a lot better than you're making it out to be.

Keep drinking the kool-ade--. How do you know what Dunlap is? he hasn't played yet. Ready was supposed to be a hot shot, but he is made of glass and can't defend your grandmother. Fred is really a 3. Chicken is hurt and I agree with Ray to try him back at point. That move there should tell you that even Ray doesn't think Ready or Bloodman can play. Unless your guard has supreme talent, being under 5'10" is a death blow for your team. Even then you don't need but 1 on your team not 3

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Ray is going to get his 4 years. Everyone should be prepared for that unless we are just beyond believably bad this year or something happens with Ray away from the court. Very, very low probability that either of those 2 things happen so anyone not assuming he is here this year and next is just not seeing things straight.

Beautifully said. Now Go Dawgs!!!

Coach34
10-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Already gave him another year. Wow. Let's just give him twenty and change the stands to lawn chairs and a nice pool deck area with a tiki bar. Then we can all sip margaritas and tropical drinks and lay back and watch the shit show.

He's been given 4 years since Day 1.

Dawg61
10-23-2014, 11:40 AM
He's been given 4 years since Day 1.

Ha I know and it's dumb is my point. No sense of urgency. No fire held to his feet. No pressure. No news. No nothing. Just a bunch of crickets out of the hump going on three years.

engie
10-23-2014, 11:43 AM
We have no guards worth a shit thus we cannot be successful. Ray has added depth but he continues to not sign SEC quality guards. Ready and Bloodman are not SEC quality guards. Never under Stansbury did we fail to have All-SEC players, most of the time we had 2 or 3. Under Ray none---let me repeat--that is zero. Engie and Coach continue their agenda to pump up Ray -why? Ray's record will make Him or break Him--it will speak for itself. But until he proves he is worthy, He will take criticism for His shittyness just like an SEC coach making the big bucks who sux big time. Pumping up Ray won't help their hate for Stansbury

At this point Stans needs to out of the basketball equation--referring to him either positively or negatively has nothing to do with Ray and His 3 year run. So we should at this point just discuss the State Of Basketball under Rick Ray. His record will reflect if he is a Real HC. So far he ain't cutting the Mustard. Hope this year he wins 20.

It's fascinating how anti-Ray agendists to try to paint a ying to their yang among the reasonable people simply saying that Ray deserves a fair shot before being judged.

The reality is -- you've got a faction that wanted Ray fired yesterday despite not giving him a chance yet -- and you've got a faction that realizes he hasn't had a chance yet and are withholding judgement until he does. There is no "pro Ray" crowd anywhere.

dawgs
10-23-2014, 11:49 AM

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

dawgs
10-23-2014, 11:55 AM
It's fascinating how anti-Ray agendists to try to paint a ying to their yang among the reasonable people simply saying that Ray deserves a fair shot before being judged.

The reality is -- you've got a faction that wanted Ray fired yesterday despite not giving him a chance yet -- and you've got a faction that realizes he hasn't had a chance yet and are withholding judgement until he does. There is no "pro Ray" crowd anywhere.

Likewise, everyone that is critical of ray isn't anti-ray/pro-Stans, they just don't see our program progressing, and unless a bunch of these unheralded recruits surprise us, it's hard to imagine us being significantly better, and until ray proves he can find diamonds in the rough on the regularly and consistently turn them into quality players, that criticism will remain. I hope I'm wrong, but being critical isn't hoping for a guy to fail.

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 12:09 PM

you said last year that this is the year... now he gets another?

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

If Chicken could shoot a 24 foot jump shot we'd be pretty good offensively, but we've chosen to put a 3-man skill set at the 2. We've also got a PF playing center... and our best 3-point shooter is the only guy who can dribble. Chicken made roughly a dozen 3-ponters from the 2 last year.

I don't know if y'all don't recognize it or what, but there is nothing being "built" here. It's a thrown together roster of misfits that has no rhyme or reason to it.

Goat from MSU
10-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Likewise, everyone that is critical of ray isn't anti-ray/pro-Stans, they just don't see our program progressing, and unless a bunch of these unheralded recruits surprise us, it's hard to imagine us being significantly better, and until ray proves he can find diamonds in the rough on the regularly and consistently turn them into quality players, that criticism will remain. I hope I'm wrong, but being critical isn't hoping for a guy to fail.
Ray does need to get 2 more years ,and this coming from a person who hated this hire. He has more warm bodies this year and some are better players than we give them credit for.In the class of 2015 we will sign the No.2 player in Mississippi who is a pretty good player and the Newman thing needs to play out .Let's just give this thing a rest if Dawg61 is not bitching too bad then this is not a big problem is it? Engie you can cool it too.

Coach34
10-23-2014, 12:15 PM
you said last year that this is the year... now he gets another?

ive always said he was going to get 4 years...now I do expect us to look a lot better this year with a full squad. He doesn't get a pass to finish 14th in the SEC- his ass better have us in the middle of pack somewhere. The difference is that I expect us to be improved- many of you don't think we will be.

Thats why we play the games

maroonmania
10-23-2014, 12:19 PM

Well I think there was a LARGE faction of MSU fans that were underwhelmed with Ray's hiring from day one. And that very large group seems to be somewhat split between those willing to see this through and give the guy a chance and those who aren't. I think that is the big difference in Ray versus Mullen or Cohen. People WERE excited with both Mullen and Cohen from day one so therefore were more willing to see things through.

shannondawg
10-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Pros and cons, but one thing we will never know, is what if Stans had decided to stay another year and right the wrongs with the prior years team..my certainly biased opinion is we would 100% be assured of a higher caliber talent level.

engie
10-23-2014, 12:34 PM
If Chicken could shoot a 24 foot jump shot we'd be pretty good offensively
How are we supposed to know that he can't? Because he didn't on day 1 when he got here? All I "know" is that he went from a 19.4% 3 point shooter as a freshman to a 27.3% 3 point shooter as a soph, who was 6-13 in his last 7 games last year. He makes that same amount of improvement again -- and he's a damn good shooter with a well-rounded overall game as a JR. Can we expect that? Perhaps the better question is -- can we, in GOOD FAITH, bet against it -- as so many here seem determined to do?

we've chosen to put a 3-man skill set at the 2.
Why did we do that? Because we didn't have a real 2 on roster last year. The one guy we had that potentially fit the role started cold shooting, was probably our best overall defender, and was more suited to defend the 3. What's the actual problem here? Better yet -- how can we -- in good faith -- assume that we are stuck in that reality going forward as we add 6 pieces?

We've also got a PF playing center...
Had. Had a PF playing C.

and our best 3-point shooter is the only guy who can dribble.
So we're actually complaining about a freshman shooting 37% from 3 because he so happens to double as a point guard?

Chicken made roughly a dozen 3-ponters from the 2 last year.
6 of 13 in the final 7 games. His shot from range improved drastically late last year. If he wasn't at the 2, who were you going to play there?

I don't know if y'all don't recognize it or what, but there is nothing being "built" here.
How did we magically become 2-deep at every position?

It's a thrown together roster of misfits that has no rhyme or reason to it.
WAS. WAS a thrown together roster because of what was inherited. There is plenty of rhyme and reason to the roster now. With more coming.

TheRef
10-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Got angry...posted something....people got angry....

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Under 30% from the 3 for a 2 is not good. He's a 3-man, has always been a 3-man, and will always be a 3-man. He's a slasher. Put him in a position to do what he does best, and to date, we have not done that. We need a 2 to spread the court who can score outside/in and spread the floor for our 3, 4, and 5.

And when your best... excuse me, ONLY... shooter has to be the floor general, it's a problem. You can not have an efficient offense with all the outside points coming from the guy who takes the ball down the court and sets the offense. It's too much to ask, especially of a freshman.

Here's an SEC Roster:
1) Ready
2) need one still
3) Sword/FTF
PF) Ware
C) need one still

The two most critical positions on the team are still not filled with SEC level talent. In year 3... and unless we get "the savior" of this program to sign, it will go unfulfilled next season too.

And if you see an Power 5 two-deep on that roster, please explain it to me because I can't even begin to piece it together.

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Higher caliber talent level with no respect for their coach. We may not have as high quality of players as we did with Stansbury, but by God they respect their coach and don't blow the coach off like they did Stansbury. I saw it with my own two eyes off the court. THAT is why Stansbury was fire/asked to retire. Sure we had all the talent in the world, what did he do with it? Second Round of the NCAA tournament. That's it. 14 seasons as Head Coach, and all he has to show for it is 4 appearances in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The 2003-2004 season which, by far, was his best season as Head Coach we only reached the 2nd round. We lost to 7-seed Xavier in the tournament by 15 points. I remember watching that game and wondering to myself "Why are we not winning this game? We have more talent than them." I have my answer now, Stansbury is a great recruiter, horrible coach.

Now I say this to remind you of one thing, Rick Ray is our head coach. He deserves our support. Am I pissed off about the production on the court? Yeah. But at least I see a coach getting after his guys every play and trying to put a product out there. At least we have a coach that the players actually listen to. Is it not fun to watch at times? Yeah. But dammit if I don't see what could be with this team. He's our head coach for at least this season, I'm not making any predictions on if he is still our coach after this season. But some of you need to get off your soapbox about Ray and start supporting this GD team. I swear....we have the worst fans sometimes.

Why the hell you spend most of your post putting Stansbury down? You bored and wanna keep this shit going?

TheRef
10-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Why the hell you spend most of your post putting Stansbury down? You bored and wanna keep this shit going?

Nope.

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Nope.

Delete that shit then. We've been back and forth on it a coupl'a hundred times.

thf24
10-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Under 30% from the 3 for a 2 is not good. He's a 3-man, has always been a 3-man, and will always be a 3-man. He's a slasher. Put him in a position to do what he does best, and to date, we have not done that. We need a 2 to spread the court who can score outside/in and spread the floor for our 3, 4, and 5.

And when your best... excuse me, ONLY... shooter has to be the floor general, it's a problem. You can not have an efficient offense with all the outside points coming from the guy who takes the ball down the court and sets the offense. It's too much to ask, especially of a freshman.

Here's an SEC Roster:
1) Ready
2) need one still
3) Sword/FTF
PF) Ware
C) need one still

The two most critical positions on the team are still not filled with SEC level talent. In year 3... and unless we get "the savior" of this program to sign, it will go unfulfilled next season too.

And if you see an Power 5 two-deep on that roster, please explain it to me because I can't even begin to piece it together.

You're ignoring five players we didn't have or we weren't able to play last year. Yes, don't count chickens, I know, but it's just as bad to completely write them off like some of you are doing. And you're ignoring the fact that Fred and Chicken shot significantly better in the final 1/3 of last season, a significant sample, with nothing to indicate that they haven't built on that and won't keep it going into this season.

messageboardsuperhero
10-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Okay, I'll jump in here. I'm not the biggest basketball fan- but how can anyone at this juncture say definitively whether or not Ray is the right man for the job? Ray has had next to no talent to work with his first two years (and no, that's not his fault), absolutely zero experience, he had to clean house because of the attitude problems, and the alumni support that was there for Stans has totally vanished.

The only inherited coaching situation at MSU that I could even relate this to would be Cohen getting the baseball gig while being left zero talent and a legendary former coach bad mouthing him- but at least Cohen had some things to sell to recruits with regards to our history and fan support. How is Cohen working out for us now?

Give Ray a shot now that he actually has a full roster. If we don't show any improvement this year, then I'll probably be right there with you. I expect us to be a .500 team or better this year and compete for an NIT spot- that isn't unreasonable.

TheRef
10-23-2014, 01:00 PM
My $0.02, it's put up or shut up time for Ray. Produce, or get out.

engie
10-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Under 30% from the 3 for a 2 is not good.
9% improvement is damn good. He does that again and he's a borderline NBA player.

He's a 3-man, has always been a 3-man, and will always be a 3-man. He's a slasher.
You didn't answer the question. Last year, if he wasn't at the 2, who do YOU put at the 2? Why do you assume that's his position going forward -- when that was his position he was stuck in when we had nobody else?

Put him in a position to do what he does best, and to date, we have not done that. We need a 2 to spread the court who can score outside/in and spread the floor for our 3, 4, and 5.
You skipped the memo about all the point he was playing prior to injury? How we'd been developing him to spend time in that role all summer? Which, gasp, gets our best shooters time at the 2?

Refer to previous statement.

Here's an SEC Roster:
1) Ready
2) need one still
3) Sword/FTF
PF) Ware
C) need one still
So the 6 new guys don't exist and/or suck right? Including what's likely to end up being 2 of our 3 best players? Got it...
And you want to play a guy that showed up at MSU pushing 300lbs at PF? No way you are serious.

The two most critical positions on the team are still not filled with SEC level talent.
Of course not -- if you only consider half the team that you THINK are "known commodities" despite me showing multiple times how much they improved individually from year 1 to year 2.

and unless we get "the savior" of this program to sign, it will go unfulfilled next season too.
What the heck is Weatherspoon?

I see 3 guys that you don't even list as "contributors" or otherwise acknowledge as members of the team, that GREG MARSHALL WANTED. That's what I actually see.

Wichita recruits aren't even good enough to be acknowledged players in a post by an MSU fan claiming we don't have power 5 two deep? The irony of that runneth over.

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Okay, I'll jump in here. I'm not the biggest basketball fan- but how can anyone at this juncture say definitively whether or not Ray is the right man for the job? Ray has had next to no talent to work with his first two years (and no, that's not his fault), absolutely zero experience, he had to clean house because of the attitude problems, and the alumni support that was there for Stans has totally vanished.

The only inherited coaching situation at MSU that I could even relate this to would be Cohen getting the baseball gig while being left zero talent and a legendary former coach bad mouthing him- but at least Cohen had some things to sell to recruits with regards to our history and fan support. How is Cohen working out for us now?

Give Ray a shot now that he actually has a full roster. If we don't show any improvement this year, then I'll probably be right there with you. I expect us to be a .500 team or better this year and compete for an NIT spot- that isn't unreasonable.

Amen. But we've got to go two more years. I hate people calling our players misfits and such. These men are giving something. We need to give some respect in return.

Dawg61
10-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Ray does need to get 2 more years ,and this coming from a person who hated this hire. He has more warm bodies this year and some are better players than we give them credit for.In the class of 2015 we will sign the No.2 player in Mississippi who is a pretty good player and the Newman thing needs to play out .Let's just give this thing a rest if Dawg61 is not bitching too bad then this is not a big problem is it? Engie you can cool it too.

#1 football rankings tend to calm me down on hoops. I want to be NCAA bubble this year though. Tired of missing out on postseason in hoops.

Goat from MSU
10-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Same here ,but I see engie did not get the memo.
#1 football rankings tend to calm me down on hoops. I want to be NCAA bubble this year though. Tired of missing out on postseason in hoops.

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 01:36 PM

have you ever heard "You Are What Your Record Says You Are"??

maroonmania
10-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Amen. But we've got to go two more years. I hate people calling our players misfits and such. These men are giving something. We need to give some respect in return.

The only thing I would call our basketball players under Ray is fragile.

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 01:41 PM
9% improvement is damn good. He does that again and he's a borderline NBA player.

You didn't answer the question. Last year, if he wasn't at the 2, who do YOU put at the 2? Why do you assume that's his position going forward -- when that was his position he was stuck in when we had nobody else?

You skipped the memo about all the point he was playing prior to injury? How we'd been developing him to spend time in that role all summer? Which, gasp, gets our best shooters time at the 2?

Refer to previous statement.

So the 6 new guys don't exist and/or suck right? Including what's likely to end up being 2 of our 3 best players? Got it...
And you want to play a guy that showed up at MSU pushing 300lbs at PF? No way you are serious.

Of course not -- if you only consider half the team that you THINK are "known commodities" despite me showing multiple times how much they improved individually from year 1 to year 2.

What the heck is Weatherspoon?

I see 3 guys that you don't even list as "contributors" or otherwise acknowledge as members of the team, that GREG MARSHALL WANTED. That's what I actually see.

Wichita recruits aren't even good enough to be acknowledged players in a post by an MSU fan claiming we don't have power 5 two deep? The irony of that runneth over.

Engie is so full of shit-an enema would help

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
I asked you to lay out the two deep. I'm ready to know who you think it going to bring W's to the Hump... and you don't know how right I hope you are.

messageboardsuperhero
10-23-2014, 01:53 PM
have you ever heard "You Are What Your Record Says You Are"??

Cohen was a >.500 coach with a 15-44 SEC record in his first two years- is that a true indicator of the kind of coach he is?

Give the guy a chance. That's all I'm saying. He may end up being the right guy, he may end up being the wrong guy. We just don't know yet- but what we do know is that the majority of the garbage that has gone on the past two years is not Ray's fault at all.

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Cohen was a >.500 coach with a 15-44 SEC record in his first two years- is that a true indicator of the kind of coach he is?

Give the guy a chance. That's all I'm saying. He may end up being the right guy, he may end up being the wrong guy. We just don't know yet- but what we do know is that the majority of the garbage that has gone on the past two years is not Ray's fault at all.

Excuse me, but I believe JC had won the SEC before coming to State--so go ahead and figure Ray's record in before he came to State. Ha Ha--that is the dumbest post in a while.

JC had won everywhere he had been as a HC-he was proven.--And His record before coming to State said what he was.--a ****ing winner!!!

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Excuse me, but I believe JC had won the SEC before coming to State--so go ahead and figure Ray's record in before he came to State. Ha Ha--that is the dumbest post in a while.

JC had won everywhere he had been as a HC-he was proven.--And His record before coming to State said what he was.--a ****ing winner!!!

whoa whoa whoa... appropriate and highly relevant context is not welcome here!!!***

messageboardsuperhero
10-23-2014, 02:13 PM

You missed the entire point of what I was saying...

Yes, I know Cohen WAS and still is a proven winner. That is just further proof that even good coaches can struggle for a couple of years when they inherit a piss poor situation. Again, I'm not saying that Ray is or is not going to be successful here- I'm saying we don't know yet.

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 02:14 PM
You missed the entire point of what I was saying...

Yes, I know Cohen WAS and still is a proven winner. That is just further proof that even good coaches can struggle for a couple of years when they inherit a piss poor situation. Again, I'm not saying that Ray is or is not going to be successful here- I'm saying we don't know yet.

that's fair... although I think everyone will readily admit you give a proven coach more time because you know he's capable. whereas someone who hasn't done it before, you may not want to extend that rope quite as far.

maroonmania
10-23-2014, 02:26 PM

Well that is one difference between Stans and Ray. I won't deny that Stans left us in a crater but Stans could have also remedied that crater in one recruiting class or at most two. That's the difference on how fast you can turn around a basketball program when you are a top line recruiter. Ray hasn't shown that ability.

engie
10-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Well that is one difference between Stans and Ray. I won't deny that Stans left us in a crater but Stans could have also remedied that crater in one recruiting class or at most two. That's the difference on how fast you can turn around a basketball program when you are a top line recruiter. Ray hasn't shown that ability.

Just like football -- you don't have to be an elite recruiter to win in basketball. Quick fixes ruined Stans and has hurt the college game overall. Every single year, for every "talented" team that advances in the postseason, there is one that does it with player development and maturity. It's crazy how so many State fans don't learn from past mistakes and come right back beating the same drum. A bunch of us bitched about Mullen's recruiting and would look pretty ignorant for it right now if truly taken to task about it(I'm not excluding myself from that boat by any means). I just don't understand how those same people can in good faith turn directly around and fire up the same complaint about basketball. Especially at this point in time, when we've seen only one player that Ray recruited for a full cycle in an actual game, much less over the course of a career...

engie
10-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Engie is so full of shit-an enema would help

Yet you add nothing, nor have the actual ability to refute a single point I made -- as usual. Which is why you are an unworthy adversary.

18 wins or more -- you never talk basketball again on here. 17 or fewer -- I won't. If you are so sure about our imminent failure, it should be a no brainer for you...

engie
10-23-2014, 02:47 PM
I asked you to lay out the two deep. I'm ready to know who you think it going to bring W's to the Hump... and you don't know how right I hope you are.

PG - Ready, Sword... Bloodman and Dunlap handling it at times.
SG - Sword and Thomas, Dunlap, Ready depending on who is the hotter hand.
SF - Houston, Thomas ...Sword in certain looks...Daniels can kick out too...Roquez in a pinch -- Staley as a big ass wildcard
PF - Daniels, Roquez...Houston can kick in too. Black in a pinch -- again with Staley being a wildcard...
C - Ware, Ndoye...Black in spells

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Unless Zuppardo is a magician who recovers in record time, we're screwed this season.

I will say this... FTF is my only hope at the 2. He's got everything he needs, but has to be able to extend a defense with his shot. If he can shoot close to 40% from behind the arc and learn to move without the ball, it is going to make us much more difficult to defend.

thf24
10-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Unless Zuppardo is a magician who recovers in record time, we're screwed this season.

Wait, what? The only newcomer out of six (including the two who have been with the program for a year but not played) who you're acknowledging the existence of is the one who's out for the season?

engie
10-23-2014, 02:57 PM

I will say this... FTF is my only hope at the 2. He's got everything he needs, but has to be able to extend a defense with his shot. If he can shoot close to 40% from behind the arc and learn to move without the ball, it is going to make us much more difficult to defend.

Zuppardo wasn't expected to see a very significant role from my understanding. We are better in all 5 spots than we were this time last year. Laughably better at the 4.

Political Hack
10-23-2014, 03:46 PM
you want me to just say that I don't expect the rest of them to be very good in conference play?

dawgpound
10-23-2014, 04:55 PM
You may not agree with me but I think our success in football will help us have success in basketball. Football is the money and notoriety sport in the south east. I think other programs can feed off of the momentum our football team is creating and use it to help them in recruiting and other facets.

tcdog70
10-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Yet you add nothing, nor have the actual ability to refute a single point I made -- as usual. Which is why you are an unworthy adversary.

18 wins or more -- you never talk basketball again on here. 17 or fewer -- I won't. If you are so sure about our imminent failure, it should be a no brainer for you...

We made that bet last year. You have a convenient memory. You were so sure we would win 18 last year. Your points refute themselves with your useless info and gobbley gook.

Dawg61
10-23-2014, 11:19 PM

Problem with FTF is he can't dribble for shit. His ball handling skills rival John Riek. Yes FTF has great length, is a fantastic athlete and might be an All-SEC defender by the time he graduates but he's horribly inept with the ball in his hands on offense when he either has to pass, dribble or make any type of calculated decision. Sorry to be so rough but it's the truth. He's a huge liability on offense. He's best when he just doesn't think and shoots right away or gets loose on the fastbreak and only has to dunk. I hope that he's spent all off-season dribbling tennis balls up and down the court and learning how to dribble with both hands without looking down at the ball. If he could someone become a great ball-handler he would make us a borderline tournament team immediately.

The other major problem we have this year is who are we going to beat in the SEC? We will be improved because we can not help but be improved but everyone else except Tennessee will be improved as well. We ain't beating Florida, Missouri and Kentucky. That's four guaranteed losses. We aren't beating Arkansas, Ole Miss, aTm, Georgia, Bruce Pearl, LSU or Bama. The only games I see we may win in the SEC are Vandy, USC and Tennessee we play twice. That's maybe four wins. Maybe. 4-14 in the SEC is going to be awfully tough to convince the fan base that Ray deserves a fourth year. The odds are stacked against Ray at this point in my opinion and it's because the SEC will be improved all but Tennessee this year. 1-12 are better than MSU. They just are. That leaves us scrapping the bottom to beat out Tennessee who might have a very good coach that surprises us all. The SEC is better this year in basketball than it's been in a long time imo and that is very bad news for RR. Time to get these boys to play above their comfort level and squeeze every ounce of talent out of them. Ray must coach his ass off this year.

thf24
10-23-2014, 11:29 PM
you want me to just say that I don't expect the rest of them to be very good in conference play?

Not sure how you can write off Daniels, for one, so easily, especially when you think Zuppardo would have been a sure contributor. Not that I disagree about Zuppardo, by the way. Hate we won't have him this year.

engie
10-23-2014, 11:43 PM
We made that bet last year. You have a convenient memory. You were so sure we would win 18 last year. Your points refute themselves with your useless info and gobbley gook.

No we didn't.

But it's good to know that you don't actually believe the bullshit you type. Otherwise, you could mute me in one fell swoop. Yet here you are -- afraid.

engie
10-23-2014, 11:44 PM

But you thought Zuppardo was?

Hak pls

maroonmania
10-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Problem with FTF is he can't dribble for shit. His ball handling skills rival John Riek. Yes FTF has great length, is a fantastic athlete and might be an All-SEC defender by the time he graduates but he's horribly inept with the ball in his hands on offense when he either has to pass, dribble or make any type of calculated decision. Sorry to be so rough but it's the truth. He's a huge liability on offense. He's best when he just doesn't think and shoots right away or gets loose on the fastbreak and only has to dunk. I hope that he's spent all off-season dribbling tennis balls up and down the court and learning how to dribble with both hands without looking down at the ball. If he could someone become a great ball-handler he would make us a borderline tournament team immediately.

The other major problem we have this year is who are we going to beat in the SEC? We will be improved because we can not help but be improved but everyone else except Tennessee will be improved as well. We ain't beating Florida, Missouri and Kentucky. That's four guaranteed losses. We aren't beating Arkansas, Ole Miss, aTm, Georgia, Bruce Pearl, LSU or Bama. The only games I see we may win in the SEC are Vandy, USC and Tennessee we play twice. That's maybe four wins. Maybe. 4-14 in the SEC is going to be awfully tough to convince the fan base that Ray deserves a fourth year. The odds are stacked against Ray at this point in my opinion and it's because the SEC will be improved all but Tennessee this year. 1-12 are better than MSU. They just are. That leaves us scrapping the bottom to beat out Tennessee who might have a very good coach that surprises us all. The SEC is better this year in basketball than it's been in a long time imo and that is very bad news for RR. Time to get these boys to play above their comfort level and squeeze every ounce of talent out of them. Ray must coach his ass off this year.

I wouldn't oversell how much better the SEC will be until we actually see it. People have thought for the last few years that NEXT year the SEC would be much better and it hasn't happened. May happen this year but I wouldn't hold my breath. Bruce Pearl will certainly make a difference at Auburn but outside of that its pretty much the usual suspects. I mean a year or two ago we were hearing how much better SC was going to be with Frank Martin taking over.

Dawg61
10-24-2014, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't oversell how much better the SEC will be until we actually see it. People have thought for the last few years that NEXT year the SEC would be much better and it hasn't happened. May happen this year but I wouldn't hold my breath. Bruce Pearl will certainly make a difference at Auburn but outside of that its pretty much the usual suspects. I mean a year or two ago we were hearing how much better SC was going to be with Frank Martin taking over.

South Carolina is one of the 4 possible wins. We ain't beating Bruce Pearl. Ever. Not with this staff and this year will be the weakest he'll ever be. So who we beating besides maybe Tennessee and Vandy? We'll be the underdog vs every team in the SEC minus UT. No way we sniff .500 in SEC play. That's 9 wins. Not even close. We'll be lucky to get five and not cause we're worse.

Political Hack
10-24-2014, 10:00 AM
But you thought Zuppardo was?

Hak pls

yes. I think he's more valuable to our team than I do the other newcomers. A 6'9" with range who can extend a defense, rebound, and not turn over the ball... and comes from a team that knows how to win... is a HUGE asset.

Feel free to set an over/under on Daniels numbers during the season and then we can chat.

thf24
10-24-2014, 10:07 AM
yes. I think he's more valuable to our team than I do the other newcomers. A 6'9" with range who can extend a defense, rebound, and not turn over the ball... and comes from a team that knows how to win... is a HUGE asset.

Feel free to set an over/under on Daniels numbers during the season and then we can chat.

That same description can just as easily be applied to Daniels. Plus, if Zuppardo was going to be such a key piece, why is it Daniels that so many of the insiders are saying will be our best player and not him?

Political Hack
10-24-2014, 10:19 AM
That same description can just as easily be applied to Daniels. Plus, if Zuppardo was going to be such a key piece, why is it Daniels that so many of the insiders are saying will be our best player and not him?

Zuppardo can do everything Daniels can do in addition to scoring with his back to the basket with either hand. He's a poor man's Tyler Hansbrough with more range than Hansbrough. I have no clue if he's a liability on defense or not, but he's easily the better offensive player.

Also, if Daniels is shooting as many 3's as our G's are this year, we're in trouble. He's a trash man at this level, and that's not a knock for any of those of you that don't understand basketball lingo. He needs to clean stuff up... try to get a double-double type player. Offensive put backs, rebound on both sides of the court, hatchet man, killer defense, energizer bunny... That's what he needs to bring to the table when he's on the floor.

Zuppardo has the skill set to be much, much more than that.

tcdog70
10-24-2014, 10:40 AM
No we didn't.

But it's good to know that you don't actually believe the bullshit you type. Otherwise, you could mute me in one fell swoop. Yet here you are -- afraid.

After the fighting Rick Rays went on an all time record losing streak-you were like Casper the Ghost. Engie, whats make you think you know shit about anything. You over state the obvious, you write post like you think you are second coming of Grantland Rice. Sure you post a lot of useless shit, but you make very few points. When someone refutes your post, you dodge the issues and start another pile of shit stats. Most people read your post for laughs. Don't take yourself so serious, the rest of us don't.