PDA

View Full Version : The Real Question is: Would Bucky Still Be Coaching Girls Basketball if the Tuohys...

RougeDawg
10-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Hadn't recruited, I mean adopted Oher? Seriously, the only reason he was even hired was to provide a security blanket for Oher in Oxford because he didn't feel comfiest Le in new places without someone he trusted. There's no way in hell Bucky ever reaches the collegiate ranks if the Touhy's had adopted a 5'6" 150 LB inner city kid with a 4.0 GPA. Instead they recruit a 9th grade monster, acting like its a charitable occurrance and the rest is history.

Just makes you wonder what would have been, had the Touhy's discovered a 6'8" point guard that could jump out of the gym, before they stumbled across Oher. Maybe Bucky would be next in line behind Coach K at Duke.

Maroonthirteen
10-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Yes. He would still be at Briarcrest or some other HS.

However, is the real story that Freeze had Oher coming around for football. But couldn't keep him interested in school or football. Then the Tuohys saw Oher at the bus stop and said "there is that guy that Freeze wants to play football." Then they took him under their wing. At least that is the way a local Memphian(mem Tiger fan)told me it actually went down.

Point being Oher was freeze first big recruit and he cashed in big on that guy.

LC Dawg
10-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Another real question is: If the Tuohy's were alums of another SEC school would Ole Miss be Freeze's "dream job"?

thf24
10-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Yes. He would still be at Briarcrest or some other HS.

However, is the real story that Freeze had Oher coming around for football. But couldn't keep him interested in school or football. Then the Tuohys saw Oher at the bus stop and said "there is that guy that Freeze wants to play football." Then they took him under their wing. At least that is the way a local Memphian(mem Tiger fan)told me it actually went down.

Point being Oher was freeze first big recruit and he cashed in big on that guy.

Exactly. Doesn't seem like many know that it was Freeze who discovered Oher, not the Tuohys.

FlabLoser
10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
It is VERY hard to move from HS coaching to college coaching. Freeze did it because he made himself a package deal with Oher.

Didn't Malzahn do that with Mitch Mustain too?

Dallas_Dawg
10-21-2014, 09:09 PM
It is VERY hard to move from HS coaching to college coaching. Freeze did it because he made himself a package deal with Oher.

THats the way I remember it. Nutt wanted Mustain, so he hired Malzahn. Mitch was a bust, Gus is now the "Bus"

TXDawg
10-21-2014, 10:51 PM

100% true, but it wasn't just Mustain. There were 3 or 4 players from Springdale that went to Arkansas with Gus that year.

engie
10-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Would Malzahn have ever made it without Mitch Mustain?**

Thread is stupid. Freeze is a very good coach that has been very good at every single stop and every single level. Cream always eventually rises to the top.

ETA: Flab beat me to it.

TXDawg
10-21-2014, 10:54 PM
Interesting article about Nutt, Gus, Mitch, and the "Springdale Five":

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/07/the_lost_year_gus_malzahn_hous.html

TUSK
10-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Wow. There's some dumbassedness in thisun.

mstatefan91
10-22-2014, 12:11 AM
Seriously, why does this even matter? Bucky is the coach and TSUN has done well this season.

I hope we beat the shit out of them come Thanksgiving week. Being undefeated going into the Egg Bowl would be even better.

MaxedOutMaroon
10-22-2014, 07:32 AM
I've learned that the more I don't care what happens to them as a program and in games, the easier it is to enjoy our success. Don't worry about Freeze. If he is doing anything wrong, it will be exposed

Johnson85
10-22-2014, 08:13 AM

Thread is stupid. Freeze is a very good coach that has been very good at every single stop and every single level. Cream always eventually rises to the top.

Not that it matters, but Freeze is extremely lucky he had Oher to tie himself to. Most people that are that successful at a comparatively young age are lucky, combined with being good. I think Freeze wanted to get to college enough that he would have eventually done it regardless. But it's a lot harder to drag you wife and family to some shit job at a minor school to get your foot in the door than it is to ride a recruit to a relatively cush SEC job. A lot of good HS coaches take the short term higher pay, better lifestyle, and better security that comes with the high school job rather than uprooting their family to chase a dream of coaching college.

SO the answer is definitely Buy at this point, but I'm not sure what it matters. Mullen is 'lucky' that he had the opportunity to work under Meyer. It could have taken him another 5 years or more to get a major conference head coaching gig if his first main job had been under still good, but more typical coach.

RougeDawg
10-22-2014, 09:05 AM

And on que, as usual Engie is bringing The moron hard without any substantial points to bsck it up. The cream doesn't always rise to the top on its own. Flab didn't say what you were attempting to. He pointed out how difficult it is for a HS coach to jump to D1. He also said they Bucky packaged himself with Oher. If the Tuohy's hasn't adopted Oher and forced him to Briarcrest, Bucky never has a pawn to parlay into a D1 job. Hence the point in the OP. Geez you have serious reading comprehension issues. You should get those addresses.

Please list me out the high school coaches who have jumped to D1 on merit alone. Freeze was lucky to have has the chess piece Oher to facilitate his jump to the next level. No way Orgeron takes him if Oher isn't a top target. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a top notch idiot. You want to tell me Orgeron was seeking high school coaches to fill his roster slots? Yea that's normal for SEC programs, seek out unproven high school coaches and attempt to lure them to the best conference in the land.

There are great coaches and athletes all over that never have their "cream rise to the top". It takes some luck and being in the right place at the right time, and or a pawn you can sacrifice in the game.

engie
10-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Not that it matters, but Freeze is extremely lucky he had Oher to tie himself to.
How much of Oher being at Briarcrest was Freeze making his own luck? We don't know what all went on behind the scenes and probably never will, but to pretend that Tuohys just hand-delivered an All-American to the dunce football coach and that Freeze had nothing to do with it on the frontend because that's how it looked in the blindside? If you say so...

Most people that are that successful at a comparatively young age are lucky, combined with being good. I think Freeze wanted to get to college enough that he would have eventually done it regardless. But it's a lot harder to drag you wife and family to some shit job at a minor school to get your foot in the door than it is to ride a recruit to a relatively cush SEC job.
You mean like coaching the last couple of years of college football at a program that no longer exists? Lambuth ring a bell?

A lot of good HS coaches take the short term higher pay, better lifestyle, and better security that comes with the high school job rather than uprooting their family to chase a dream of coaching college.
So highschool coaches don't actually uproot their family prettymuch as often as their college counterparts? The difference is, they don't have quarter million dollar nest eggs to start over constantly, and basically do it paycheck to paycheck, yet they still do. At least the ones that actually have an eye on advancement do. Even so -- what coaches are staying in place longterm with the big boys? Very, very few -- and the ones that generally do are too old to do anything else and/or consider it their last job.

Anyone with an eye to advancement that is good enough in all of the areas of the job eventually advances. Salesmanship has helped Freeze along the way and it helps him on the recruiting trail too.

engie
10-22-2014, 09:29 AM
And on que, as usual Engie is bringing The moron hard without any substantial points to bsck it up. The cream doesn't always rise to the top on its own. Flab didn't say what you were attempting to. He pointed out how difficult it is for a HS coach to jump to D1. He also said they Bucky packaged himself with Oher. If the Tuohy's hasn't adopted Oher and forced him to Briarcrest, Bucky never has a pawn to parlay into a D1 job. Hence the point in the OP. Geez you have serious reading comprehension issues. You should get those addresses.
This whole thread is you being a bitter, know-it-all dumb ass, with a cringe factor on the total stupidity you stoop to on every single post about Ole Miss. The fact that I'm associated with you because I post here is embarrassing to me.

Yeah -- it's a grand Tuohy conspiracy. They took both Oher and Freeze off the street and installed them in high profile situations they lacked the power to do. Freeze is actually a shitty coach -- it's Leigh Ann that's the mastermind. Happy now? Yep, just the luckiest coach in America -- dumb ass keeps falling up**

Please list me out the high school coaches who have jumped to D1 on merit alone. Freeze was lucky to have has the chess piece Oher to facilitate his jump to the next level. No way Orgeron takes him if Oher isn't a top target. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a top notch idiot. You want to tell me Orgeron was seeking high school coaches to fill his roster slots? Yea that's normal for SEC programs, seek out unproven high school coaches and attempt to lure them to the best conference in the land.
Freeze wasn't a coach when Orgeron hired him at Ole Miss genius. He worked his way up that latter over time as well. Not that accuracy or realism is on the agenda anyway.

There are great coaches and athletes all over that never have their "cream rise to the top". It takes some luck and being in the right place at the right time, and or a pawn you can sacrifice in the game.
Bullshit. Every coach that desires to rise and fails to is flawed in some way that becomes glaringly obvious in a short period of time speaking with them.

Yep -- we should all just give up. Everything in life is blind luck. Freeze was coaching girl's basketball one day with his thumb up his ass and in walks Leigh Ann with his new(spread) playbook and All-American tackle, where she informed him he'd be coaching at Ole Miss in a couple of years and that she'd be appointing Barack to the white house.

Your outlandishness would be funny if it wasn't embarrassing.

Bubb Rubb
10-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Hadn't recruited, I mean adopted Oher? Seriously, the only reason he was even hired was to provide a security blanket for Oher in Oxford because he didn't feel comfiest Le in new places without someone he trusted. There's no way in hell Bucky ever reaches the collegiate ranks if the Touhy's had adopted a 5'6" 150 LB inner city kid with a 4.0 GPA. Instead they recruit a 9th grade monster, acting like its a charitable occurrance and the rest is history.

Just makes you wonder what would have been, had the Touhy's discovered a 6'8" point guard that could jump out of the gym, before they stumbled across Oher. Maybe Bucky would be next in line behind Coach K at Duke.

A couple of years prior to the Oher deal, Bucky applied and was openly campaigning for the vacant University of Memphis women's basketball job. Imagine if your football coach was previously passed over as a women's basketball coach at a third rate university?

RougeDawg
10-22-2014, 10:59 AM
it is essentially the same story and quick rise to HC. The only bitterness seems to be from yourself, because others seem to have something to add to the thread, besides name calling and un true facts to back up their attacks.

This whole thread is you being a bitter, know-it-all dumb ass, with a cringe factor on the total stupidity you stoop to on every single post about Ole Miss. The fact that I'm associated with you because I post here is embarrassing to me.

Yeah -- it's a grand Tuohy conspiracy. They took both Oher and Freeze off the street and installed them in high profile situations they lacked the power to do. Freeze is actually a shitty coach -- it's Leigh Ann that's the mastermind. Happy now? Yep, just the luckiest coach in America -- dumb ass keeps falling up**

Freeze wasn't a coach when Orgeron hired him at Ole Miss genius. He worked his way up that latter over time as well. Not that accuracy or realism is on the agenda anyway.

Bullshit. Every coach that desires to rise and fails to is flawed in some way that becomes glaringly obvious in a short period of time speaking with them.

Yep -- we should all just give up. Everything in life is blind luck. Freeze was coaching girl's basketball one day with his thumb up his ass and in walks Leigh Ann with his new(spread) playbook and All-American tackle, where she informed him he'd be coaching at Ole Miss in a couple of years and that she'd be appointing Barack to the white house.

Your outlandishness would be funny if it wasn't embarrassing.

Did i f*ck your girlfriend or wife somewhere along the way? My bad, if I did. There's absolutely no reason you could have this much anger to spew complete bullshit, just to try to refute what I say, unless you are still mad because I ran circles around you regarding baseball topics. Your dumbassedry is becoming the richest on this board and that's saying a lot. For someone who calls me a "Know It All" you sure do make some "Definite Know It All" comments above, they are highlighted by the way. I know your comprehension skills are lacking, so I made it easier for you. Your entire post, besides the two sarcastic attacks, was all opinion and/or false statemtents. Nice try.

The entire point of the thread was to point out that Freeze backed into his first College football job at OM under Orgeron because of Oher. I know your ego and agenda probably clouded your vision when you looked up Bucky's coaching career, but I'm here to help you. He was hired by Orgeron at OM, shortly after Oher signed, as the Assistant Athletic Director of External Affairs. Then he was promoted to TE coach and Recruiting Coordinator (the reason he knows the Bagmen and was hired as HC, but that's a different story). Maybe you would have known this if you hadn't started your agenda driven dribble when Bucky went to Lambuth, after 3 years in Oxford. Bucky has only been a collegiate coach for 4 years of his 10, away from Oxford. And he spent 2 years at each of his other two stops, so I wouldn't say he was uprooting his family, hop scotching his way back to where he started his coaching career.

Yes, Freeze may have initially found Oher. But had the Touhy's not been the OM flunkies and facilitated the entire thing and given Oher a stable non suspicious home, Bucky wouldn't have been able to parlay Oher into a package deal to ever been hired by Orgeron in 2005.

But continue on with your anger driven gibberish in an attempt to disprove what I say or shoot down a valid discussion. I could say the same thing for Malzahn. Yea, "he may have eventually gotten a Head Coaching gig" at a high profile program, but he wouldn't have gotten there nearly as quick if it weren't for his package deal jump from HS to Arkansas. I could also add one of your "hypotheticals" regarding both coaching situations. If both were destined for HC gigs, but each hadn't gotten the package deal and had to trudge through the Juco's and D3's, they may not have made either if they were hit by a bus before they were given the big HC opportunity. I could go on and on with "hypotheticals" but the fact is, Oher fast tracked his success. Who's to say that any other HS coach wouldn't have been provided the same fast track and lucky break if they had an Oher in their back pocket? I'm truly worried for you, since you cannot fathom and understand these simple items and facts that we others are discussing here.

Johnson85 makes valid points, and you attempt to discredit him with your normal "hypothetical reasons or situations" that may or may not have happened. Fine, they may have, but they may not have. The entire point of this is to discuss and contribute, not attack and call people idiots and stupid, just because you have an agenda against them. Then you back up your attacks with false statements and further show your real attempt in this thread is to attack me. What you have said in here, further validates the things I explained during baseball season that you disagreed with and attempted to discredit, but couldn't provides any facts to back them up and refute my stance. Carry on, but posts like yours about "Orgeron not hiring Freeze to his first College Gig" will just continue to discredit your stance.

engie
10-22-2014, 11:26 AM
it is essentially the same story and quick rise to HC. The only bitterness seems to be from yourself, because others seem to have something to add to the thread, besides name calling and un true facts to back up their attacks.
K

Did i f*ck your girlfriend or wife somewhere along the way? My bad, if I did.
Lol

There's absolutely no reason you could have this much anger to spew complete bullshit, just to try to refute what I say,
Yet you spew the same with every post you make. I've finally just had enough of it.

unless you are still mad because I ran circles around you regarding baseball topics.
HAHAHAHAHAHA... Wait.... HAHAHAHAHAHA
That's hilarious you f'n clown. You have your "most knowledgable baseball poster" crown alongside Will James? No, wait**

Your dumbassedry is becoming the richest on this board and that's saying a lot.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

For someone who calls me a "Know It All" you sure do make some "Definite Know It All" comments above, they are highlighted by the way.
Good job highlighting statistical facts which you acknowledge in your own post you. Cohenzzz daddy the(superior) hitting coach called me a "know it all", what ever am I to do?

I know your comprehension skills are lacking, so I made it easier for you. Your entire post, besides the two sarcastic attacks, was all opinion and/or false statemtents. Nice try.
I'm still trying to remember the last statement you made here with a decent basis in fact -- and I'm coming up empty. Probably because most of your posts are so damn insane that the rest of them can't actually be taken seriously.

The entire point of the thread was to point out that Freeze backed into his first College football job at OM under Orgeron because of Oher.
And my point is that Freeze wasn't some innocent bystander that rose through the ranks because Oher fell in his lap. He was recruiting his ass off at Briarcrest and everyone in Memphis knows all about it. A bunch of coaches there are still bitter about him taking all their players to the private school and winning his ass off with them. He had a well-oiled machine going at Briarcrest shockingly similar to the one he's got going at Ole Miss. I'm sure that was all Leigh Ann's doing though**

I know your ego and agenda probably clouded your vision when you looked up Bucky's coaching career, but I'm here to help you. He was hired by Orgeron at OM, shortly after Oher signed, as the Assistant Athletic Director of External Affairs.
Did a good job reading wikipedia on that one. My "ego and agenda" is laughable coming from you.

Then he was promoted to TE coach and Recruiting Coordinator (the reason he knows the Bagmen and was hired as HC, but that's a different story).
I'm sure those promotions came simply because of Oher being there and blackmailing Orgeron or something else random you can make up. He was probably threatening to transfer out if Freeze wasn't calling alot of the plays by the end of his 3 years at the school which began with him nowhere near the football field**

Maybe you would have known this if you hadn't started your agenda driven dribble when Bucky went to Lambuth, after 3 years in Oxford.
Yeah, I had no idea** Tell me more.

Bucky has only been a collegiate coach for 4 years of his 10, away from Oxford. And he spent 2 years at each of his other two stops, so I wouldn't say he was uprooting his family, hop scotching his way back to where he started his coaching career.
And that's got what to do with anything?

Yes, Freeze may have initially found Oher. But had the Touhy's not been the OM flunkies and facilitated the entire thing and given Oher a stable non suspicious home, Bucky wouldn't have been able to parlay Oher into a package deal to ever been hired by Orgeron in 2005.
Yeah -- totally impossible that Freeze saw the Tuohys as an opportunity and capitalized on them to his own advantage as all opportunistic people would do. I'm sure it was just them playing charity cases with the bumbling idiot football coach that now has the #3 team in the country in year 3 with a QB that can't throw. I'm sure Freeze had NOTHING to do with Oher coming into contact with the Tuohys in the first place despite most people in this very thread spelling it out for you...

But continue on with your anger driven gibberish in an attempt to disprove what I say or shoot down a valid discussion.
Can you make a single statement without being a hypocrite?

I could say the same thing for Malzahn. Yea, "he may have eventually gotten a Head Coaching gig" at a high profile program, but he wouldn't have gotten there nearly as quick if it weren't for his package deal jump from HS to Arkansas.
Yep -- just pure luck of the draw that these guys end up at the top. Could have just as easily been Lance Pogue or Bobby Hall**

I could also add one of your "hypotheticals" regarding both coaching situations. If both were destined for HC gigs, but each hadn't gotten the package deal and had to trudge through the Juco's and D3's, they may not have made either if they were hit by a bus before they were given the big HC opportunity. I could go on and on with "hypotheticals" but the fact is, Oher fast tracked his success.
People that end up on top do so because of the paths they take and the decisions they make. LOL at you playing this "falling up" card continually. The reason guys get stuck down a level or have to take the long road is because they LACK WHAT FREEZE AND MALZAHN HAVE. Which, spelled out, is the ability to find elite talent, recruit elite talent, coach up elite talent, then ride it to a fast track to what virtually amounts to a janitorial position in the big show, get tiny opportunities in the big show, capitalize on them, dominate multiple stops up the latter without a single failure, until they found reasonably long term landing points. That's a SKILL that makes them fit to be SEC HEAD COACHES. It's not some accidental happenstance occurrence. Freeze has won f'n huge at every stop. How many times is it going to take before you pull your head out of your ass and realize that it isn't some circumstantial accident?

Trying to constantly reduce Freeze to some bumbling idiot that's gotten lucky with every football team he's ever had doesn't do anything to hurt Freeze's image -- it just makes you a hilarious moron that can't be taken seriously.

Who's to say that any other HS coach wouldn't have been provided the same fast track and lucky break if they had an Oher in their back pocket?
There you go again. Just accidental that Freeze got Oher and has been falling up ever since. Beyond comprehension how ridiculous and naive that is.

I'm truly worried for you, since you cannot fathom and understand these simple items and facts that we others are discussing here.
K thx.

Johnson85 makes valid points, and you attempt to discredit him with your normal "hypothetical reasons or situations" that may or may not have happened. Fine, they may have, but they may not have.
I disagreed with his post like an adult because he posts like one. You on the other hand...

The entire point of this is to discuss and contribute, not attack and call people idiots and stupid, just because you have an agenda against them.
What is my agenda exactly? I'd love to know.

Outside of calling naive, ridiculous posts from ridiculous posters, ridiculous.

Then you back up your attacks with false statements
Link to alleged false statements you just pulled out of your ass?

and further show your real attempt in this thread is to attack me.
Just calling out stupid. Nothing more or less. And your stupid is a cumulative effect over time moreso than just this one ridiculous thread.

What you have said in here, further validates the things I explained during baseball season that you disagreed with and attempted to discredit, but couldn't provides any facts to back them up and refute my stance.
LOL at this logic failure. And you wonder why I think you are a moron?

Carry on, but posts like yours about "Orgeron not hiring Freeze to his first College Gig" will just continue to discredit your stance.
And your transparent, agenda-driven psychobabble will continue to discredit yours.

Johnson85
10-22-2014, 11:37 AM
You mean like coaching the last couple of years of college football at a program that no longer exists? Lambuth ring a bell? You'd have a great point if he took an assistant coaching job at Lambuth, but I'm pretty sure he went there from Ole Miss to be a head coach. Regardless, I also pointed out that Freeze would have probably tried to make the jump regardless, but he wouldn't be at UM right now if he hadn't gotten to jump start his career with Oher.

So highschool coaches don't actually uproot their family prettymuch as often as their college counterparts?

holy shit you can be an insufferable prick sometimes. Read the statement you're responding to and then get on google and see if you can figure out the difference between words and phrases like "a lot", and "the majority", and "all" and then try that response again.

The difference is, they don't have quarter million dollar nest eggs to start over constantly, and basically do it paycheck to paycheck, yet they still do. At least the ones that actually have an eye on advancement do. Even so -- what coaches are staying in place longterm with the big boys? Very, very few -- and the ones that generally do are too old to do anything else and/or consider it their last job. A lot of coaches have families, even at a relatively young age, and are at a level in the highschool and have proven their ability in the high school ranks where they can realistically stay in one place for stretches that are 10 or 12 years rather than two to four. That's not maximizing their ability to advance, but sometimes people value other things more than maximizing their career advancement. Most of the coaches I dealt with in high school spent their entire careers within a 30 to 40 mile radius, and that was in a relatively sparsely populated area (probably one of them was smart enough and good enough that he could have done college if he had wanted back in the day). I'm assuming it'd be even simpler to do that in the Jackson, South Memphis, or Coast areas. (Be sure to do your homework on what "a lot" means versus "the majority" or "all" before you respond to this post so you don't say anything stupid.)

mstatefan91
10-22-2014, 11:42 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iFV_n-HktXc/Uz6-b33QR-I/AAAAAAAAABg/NRYoTiKUJ3A/s1600/jackson_pop_corn.gif

engie
10-22-2014, 11:56 AM
You'd have a great point if he took an assistant coaching job at Lambuth, but I'm pretty sure he went there from Ole Miss to be a head coach. Regardless, I also pointed out that Freeze would have probably tried to make the jump regardless, but he wouldn't be at UM right now if he hadn't gotten to jump start his career with Oher.
Again, pretending that Oher was an accident that just fell into his lap rather than a circumstance that he, himself, was responsible for creating. What about when Freeze accepted the OC job at San Jose St prior to getting the job at Arky St post Lambuth? Does that not qualify as "uprooting" enough for you? Forgot about that one huh?

holy shit you can be an insufferable prick sometimes. Read the statement you're responding to and then get on google and see if you can figure out the difference between words and phrases like "a lot", and "the majority", and "all" and then try that response again.
K

A lot of coaches have families, even at a relatively young age, and are at a level in the highschool and have proven their ability in the high school ranks where they can realistically stay in one place for stretches that are 10 or 12 years rather than two to four.
Not guys whose "eyes are on the prize". We're talking about a guy here that told his wife on their honeymoon that he'd be an SEC head coach one day. His goals were laid out from the beginning and everything he did was to chase those goals. Once you establish that, you can see a very clear pattern in everything that came next which pretty clearly wasn't just "accidental", "luck", or "Leigh Ann's charity work"...

That's not maximizing their ability to advance, but sometimes people value other things more than maximizing their career advancement.
Sure, there are good "lifers" that go to some small high school, kick ass, and stay perfectly content right there. Those guys are never SEC coaches and they never wanted to be in the first place. There's the built-in "flaw" preventing it from happening that Freeze lacked.

Most of the coaches I dealt with in high school spent their entire careers within a 30 to 40 mile radius, and that was in a relatively sparsely populated area (probably one of them was smart enough and good enough that he could have done college if he had wanted back in the day).
Again, logically flawed because those coaches' goals weren't the same as Freeze's.

I'm assuming it'd be even simpler to do that in the Jackson, South Memphis, or Coast areas. (Be sure to do your homework on what "a lot" means versus "the majority" or "all" before you respond to this post so you don't say anything stupid.)
Again -- read it until you understand what I actually said. Coaches with a goal to coach FBS/Big6/SEC do not put down roots prior to obtaining those goals. They are journeymen just like Freeze was regardless of what their starting point is. "Roots" are a fatal flaw to coaching advancement, and it prevents them from ever even sniffing being head coaches in the SEC. Those that actually make it are not "lucky" because they catch "breaks" that they, themselves, are responsible for creating and making. I'd agree that guys can get "lucky" once. But once doesn't make you a head coach in the SEC. That takes being damn good at what you do and being prettymuch elite in multiple facets of life beyond just "coaching" along with very few missteps along the way. And I disagree that Freeze was in any way "lucky" for getting Oher in the first place, nor was parlaying him into a job at Ole Miss "lucky". It was smart -- and one of the reasons why he was always fit to be what he is.

Johnson85
10-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Again, pretending that Oher was an accident that just fell into his lap rather than a circumstance that he, himself, was responsible for creating. What about when Freeze accepted the OC job at San Jose St prior to getting the job at Arky St post Lambuth? Does that not qualify as "uprooting" enough for you? Forgot about that one huh? No. This is you not reading posts before you very confidently spout off stuff that is not responsive.

K

You say 'k' as the point clearly sails right over your head.

Not guys whose "eyes are on the prize". We're talking about a guy here that told his wife on their honeymoon that he'd be an SEC head coach one day. His goals were laid out from the beginning and everything he did was to chase those goals. Once you establish that, you can see a very clear pattern in everything that came next which pretty clearly wasn't just "accidental", "luck", or "Leigh Ann's charity work"... True, but explain how you think this is responsive to anything I said other than supporting it.

Sure, there are good "lifers" that go to some small high school, kick ass, and stay perfectly content right there. Those guys are never SEC coaches and they never wanted to be in the first place. There's the built-in "flaw" preventing it from happening that Freeze lacked.

Again, logically flawed because those coaches' goals weren't the same as Freeze's. I don't think I'd classify having a different goal from being a major conference head coach a flaw, but regardless, doesn't really address anything I said.

Again -- read it until you understand what I actually said. Coaches with a goal to coach FBS/Big6/SEC do not put down roots prior to obtaining those goals. They are journeymen just like Freeze was regardless of what their starting point is. "Roots" are a fatal flaw to coaching advancement, and it prevents them from ever even sniffing being head coaches in the SEC. Those that actually make it are not "lucky" because they catch "breaks" that they, themselves, are responsible for creating and making. I'd agree that guys can get "lucky" once. But once doesn't make you a head coach in the SEC. That takes being damn good at what you do and being prettymuch elite in multiple facets of life beyond just "coaching" along with very few missteps along the way. And I disagree that Freeze was in any way "lucky" for getting Oher in the first place, nor was parlaying him into a job at Ole Miss "lucky". It was smart -- and one of the reasons why he was always fit to be what he is.

I understand what you actually said. You didn't bother to read what I said, you just jumped in and said a bunch of stuff that you think is responsive but isn't. Regardless of what you think, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's not a future Pro-Bowl OT waiting to be adopted in Memphis every year, that is so good he is easily identifiable as an NFL prospect in early high school. How many Tuoheys do you think are out there that he could have recruited a player to be adopted by? If Freeze coudl just make his break anytime he wanted? Why the hell did he coach at Briarcrest for 10 years? Why didn't he decide two years earlier to go find an NFL tackle to be adopted and then he could be the Ole Miss head coach two years earlier? Had Oher not come along, Freeze could have easily waited another 5 years for a similar type opportunity, or he could have taken a normal entry job into the college ranks, in which case he would probably still be working his way up the ranks, either a coordinator at a major school or a head coach at a non-major conference.

A real life example: What did Freeze do that Hudspeth didn't that prevented Hudspeth from getting a head coach job at a major university? They both have had success everywhere they've been, Hudspeth just had more time in college. You don't think maybe Freeze wouldn't have passed Hudspeth at this point if he hadn't had an Oher to attach himself to?

engie
10-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Regardless of what you think, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's not a future Pro-Bowl OT waiting to be adopted in Memphis every year, that is so good he is easily identifiable as an NFL prospect in early high school.
Oher has never made a pro bowl. What are there? 15? current NFL players from Memphis? There are obviously quite a few there for the picking.

On any give year, there are How many Tuoheys do you think are out there that he could have recruited a player to be adopted by?
At Briarcrest? Seriously? Somewhere between a half dozen and a dozen at all times. Most of the players that they "recruit" in a similar method do not go on to the same success that Oher did, thus making it the "story" in a scenario that happens fairly regularly at that school. A network Freeze gets some credit or assembling over time. You realize it's a $14k/yr highschool right? It costs more than double the price of MSU. Nothing but the richest go there -- who naturally have a great scholarship structure set up -- and they recruit the best players off of that.

If Freeze coudl just make his break anytime he wanted?
Where did anyone claim he could "make it anytime he wanted."? He had a clear goal, kept it in sight, worked toward it constantly, and capitalized on the opportunity when he finally got it. He still gets credit for that. It wasn't just happenstance.

Why the hell did he coach at Briarcrest for 10 years? Why didn't he decide two years earlier to go find an NFL tackle to be adopted and then he could be the Ole Miss head coach two years earlier?
Why did Malzahn coach in highschool for 14 years? Why did Art Briles for 20? Can we then flip the script and ask why he was that much better than those 2 guys?

Had Oher not come along, Freeze could have easily waited another 5 years for a similar type opportunity, or he could have taken a normal entry job into the college ranks, in which case he would probably still be working his way up the ranks, either a coordinator at a major school or a head coach at a non-major conference.
He did take a "normal entry job into the college ranks" when he was at Ole Miss. They didn't put him on the field on day 1. That opportunity was earned.

A real life example: What did Freeze do that Hudspeth didn't that prevented Hudspeth from getting a head coach job at a major university? They both have had success everywhere they've been, Hudspeth just had more time in college. You don't think maybe Freeze wouldn't have passed Hudspeth at this point if he hadn't had an Oher to attach himself to?
You do realize that Ole Miss went after Hudspeth first right? Freeze didn't "pass" Hudspeth -- Hud passed on Ole Miss. Or more precisely, they passed on each other when he balked at signing a non-compete over their fears of his ties with MSU. Hud has had decent offers every year there prettymuch...

sandwolf
10-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Thread is stupid. Freeze is a very good coach that has been very good at every single stop and every single level.

This pretty much sums up this entire thread.

Rouge, I share your your disdain for Freeze and for all things Ole Miss, and on occasion, I even enjoy your blatant homerism.....but you should hold off on trying to invalidate Freeze as a college football coach for when they are 4-3 (1-3). Randomly posting this bullshit when they are 7-0 (4-0) and the #3 team in the country makes you look like a complete imbecile.

ScottH
10-22-2014, 02:32 PM
This seems an appropriate time to ask...

What is the supposed event at Briarcrest that got swept under the rug that allegedly could be a big enough skeleton to keep Bucky from a high profile job?

Cabo32
10-22-2014, 02:42 PM
This seems an appropriate time to ask...

What is the supposed event at Briarcrest that got swept under the rug that allegedly could be a big enough skeleton to keep Bucky from a high profile job?

human trafficking