PDA

View Full Version : Hot off the presses coaching rumor

Coach34
10-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Buddy of mine coaching in another state talked to an SEC associate AD today. They got to talking about the Florida job- here is what the assoc AD said:

1. Foley and Mullen wouldn't work together to raise money for Children's Hospital- much less work together again at Florida. Not happening.

2. Boom is done

3. Foley is going to hire someone in December- and a coach that makes the football playoff won't be considered. Can't afford to wait until mid-January for a staff to come in to recruit.

4. One of Foley's top targets has his team in the top 5 and is in the SEC West. And I'll give you a hint- it's not Mullen, Saban, or Malzahn.

This guy is solid and doesn't read a bunch of message board stuff- so found it interesting. Let the fun begin

StarkVegas
10-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Seems legit

DLGDawg
10-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Hmmm....I'm thinkin
Wait...uummm.
Is it Hugh Freeze??

BeardoMSU
10-21-2014, 06:00 PM
#4...I don't see this happening. Who will tend the flock if the shepherd leaves?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/I-dont-believe-you.gif

Coach34
10-21-2014, 06:01 PM
The flock will move to Flarda

Dawgtini
Come on C34. A D line coach in Kiffen??!! ** #Destination #DreamJob #AllInOutaLove #Grove #HobbLobby

chef dixon
Freeze doesn't necessarily worry me long term at Ole Miss, but his recruiting is pretty damn good. His offensive scheme is pretty sloppy and I don't really trust him to make proper adjustments on that side of the ball. I guess its a mixture of talent and coaching that is carrying their defense. How much Freeze has to do with it v. his D coordinator I'm not sure, but I'd be impressed if they fielded a defense like this year after year.

BeardoMSU
10-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Freeze doesn't necessarily worry me long term at Ole Miss, but his recruiting is pretty damn good. His offensive scheme is pretty sloppy and I don't really trust him to make proper adjustments on that side of the ball. I guess its a mixture of talent and coaching that is carrying their defense. How much Freeze has to do with it v. his D coordinator I'm not sure, but I'd be impressed if they fielded a defense like this year after year.

His ability to recruit allows his team to play above his coaching ability, imo. I'm not scared to Freeze long term, but I'd prefer not having to battle tooth and nail with them over every player in the state.

Coach34
10-21-2014, 06:06 PM
The fact he has turned shitty Ole Missus into a 7-0 team has AD's at real schools noticing

IMissJack
I don't think the "aw shucks" routine and religious twist would play as well in Gainesville.

Todd4State
I could see Freeze taking the Florida job. They may have timed this perfectly with Slive leaving and the SEC front office in transition.

BeardoMSU
10-21-2014, 06:08 PM
The flock will move to Flarda

http://i.imgur.com/3yT1KDS.gif

Todd4State
10-21-2014, 06:08 PM
I don't think the "aw shucks" routine and religious twist would play as well in Gainesville.

I disagree because Benny Hinn has a church in Orlando.

archdog
10-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Not buying. Mullen and Freeze will both be here for the foresable future.

BeardoMSU
10-21-2014, 06:10 PM
I disagree because Benny Hinn has a church in Orlando.

Man, can you imagine those two dudes together? The Crusades would wilt in comparison....

BulldogBear
10-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Mullen to TSUN***

Big4Dawg
So we need to beat them is what you're saying

Coach34
Not buying. Mullen and Freeze will both be here for the foresable future.

what exactly are you not buying? Why wouldn't Foley possibly be interested in Freezus? Why wouldn't Foley want to get a coach in place before January? Why wouldn't Foley fire Boom?

All I shared was that Freezus is a possible Foley target. How is that not a buy?

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 06:20 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with Foley. Freeze is a Mississippi guy, and I expect him to be at Ole Miss as long as he is welcome. I don't see Mullen leaving either, but it would seem more likely that dan leave before high all things being equal, which at this point they kinda are. Why would either coach want to jump into that hot mess at Florida anyway?

Coach34
10-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Florida has the richest recruiting ground in the country.
Freezus is a master recruiter it seems

he will be tempted to go to one of the top programs in the country. The thing you have to look at- Ole Missus had just as short a fuse with coaches as Florida does. Hell, at Florida he wouldn't have all the negatives to overcome that he has to at Ole Missus. Freezus could pull top 5 classes every year in Gainesville

And the SEC East is a lot easier than the West

Dawgcentral
10-21-2014, 06:30 PM
All Freeze has to tell the OM faithful is that "The Lord has Led me There". About as believable as the wheelbarrow full of crap he's trucked all over so far.

I'd have fun with that scenario for years.

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Florida has the richest recruiting ground in the country.
Freezus is a master recruiter it seems

he will be tempted to go to one of the top programs in the country. The thing you have to look at- Ole Missus had just as short a fuse with coaches as Florida does. Hell, at Florida he wouldn't have all the negatives to overcome that he has to at Ole Missus. Freezus could pull top 5 classes every year in Gainesville

And the SEC East is a lot easier than the West

And if he wasn't a Mississippi guy, I would agree completely with you. However, he is not your normal coach using Ole Miss as a stepping stone. I could be wrong, and he could leave, but I would be surprised if he did.

I just find it funny that multiple people have said that Dan would be dumb to leave State for a struggling program that he is going to have to rebuild while we are at the top of the nation, and then the same people talk up Freeze doing the EXACT same thing.

I know Dan won't go to Florida, but using your logic, should we not be scared to death of Michigan coming calling? Like I said, I don't see either leaving at this point, and both will be here as long as they are welcome.

cheewgumm
10-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Why does everyone think Freeze is so loyal to Ole Miss U? Didn't he go to USM?

justwin
10-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Collins & Smart.

Buddy of mine coaching in another state talked to an SEC associate AD today. They got to talking about the Florida job- here is what the assoc AD said:

1. Foley and Mullen wouldn't work together to raise money for Children's Hospital- much less work together again at Florida. Not happening.

2. Boom is done

3. Foley is going to hire someone in December- and a coach that makes the football playoff won't be considered. Can't afford to wait until mid-January for a staff to come in to recruit.

4. One of Foley's top targets has his team in the top 5 and is in the SEC West. And I'll give you a hint- it's not Mullen, Saban, or Malzahn.

This guy is solid and doesn't read a bunch of message board stuff- so found it interesting. Let the fun begin

starkvegasdawg
10-21-2014, 06:36 PM
He was recruited at the library.

Coach34
10-21-2014, 06:39 PM
And if he wasn't a Mississippi guy, I would agree completely with you. However, he is not your normal coach using Ole Miss as a stepping stone. I could be wrong, and he could leave, but I would be surprised if he did.

I just find it funny that multiple people have said that Dan would be dumb to leave State for a struggling program that he is going to have to rebuild while we are at the top of the nation, and then the same people talk up Freeze doing the EXACT same thing.

I know Dan won't go to Florida, but using your logic, should we not be scared to death of Michigan coming calling? Like I said, I don't see either leaving at this point, and both will be here as long as they are welcome.

Saban is a West Virginia guy that coaches at Alabama
Miles is a Michigan man that turned down the Michigan job to stay in the SEC

i could go on there....

We should worry a little about Michigan being interested in Mullen- problem is- Michigan ain't the SEC. And Mullen doesn't exactly want to have to recruit nationally- he loves recruiting Bama, Miss, and La for players. At Michigan, instead of driving mostly to recruit- he would be on planes constantly. Lots of coaches hate that shit.

Florida is in the SEC. Florida has the richest recruiting in the US.

Just passing along long who Foley is rumored to be interested in

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 06:40 PM

Because he was born in Oxford and went to Senatobia High. Wikipedia says this at least. He's a Mississippi guy. Maybe he hates Mississippi, but I doubt it.

SDDawg
10-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Will the bagmen follow him to Flarda?! **

Churchill
10-21-2014, 06:41 PM
The panhandle and central Florida are hotbeds for religious "diversity"

mic
10-21-2014, 06:42 PM

Exactly... And Has been said on here before been rumored that UMiss isn't his dream job..

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 06:43 PM
And Ole Miss is also in the SEC and seems to be recruiting pretty well in their own right. I don't doubt what you heard, I'm just stating my opinion that I don't think he leaves and offering reasons why. I have no inside knowledge, I would just be surprised if he did.

Rick Danko
10-21-2014, 06:47 PM
I will say this about him same as i do about Mullen, why would either of them leave a program they have built into a national title contender to go recover that shit show. And before Yall all hit me with "it's Florida" I know, I just wouldn't want to do that when I just attained my goal, maybe after a couple of years might be different.

msstate7
10-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Well om is losing its qb with no replacement, so I suppose it's possible. Also after mullen takes em down again, freeze will realize this is our state and may wanna try to be the best team in the state he coaches in

mic
10-21-2014, 06:48 PM
And Ole Miss is also in the SEC and seems to be recruiting pretty well in their own right. I don't doubt what you heard, I'm just stating my opinion that I don't think he leaves and offering reasons why. I have no inside knowledge, I would just be surprised if he did.

This really hit home with you .. It's ok .. Freeze probably isn't going.. He would be 4 or 5 on the UF list kind of like he was on the OM list..
But don't be surprised if he is on their short list.. And I bet he at least interviews if given a chance..

dawgs
10-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Also heard from a florida friend that there's no way foley would hire mullen (or any of meyer guys), and that freeze and rich rod are at the top of the lost right now. Rich rod got a raw deal at Michigan and they wouldn't let him do his thing and instead tried to force him to playing the "Michigan way", but he wasted no time making arizona a very dangerous program, and I think he'd be a huge hit at florida.

engie
10-21-2014, 06:51 PM

LOL, did you miss the tenure of Rodriguez, Rich? The guy they fired that was actually showing improvement and hindsight shows was a year away from wrecking shit there?

Michigan ain't calling a spread guy. Period.

Political Hack
10-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Mullen to TSUN***

that's hilarious. well played.

RossDawg82
10-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Well om is losing its qb with no replacement, so I suppose it's possible. Also after mullen takes em down again, freeze will realize this is our state and may wanna try to be the best team in the state he coaches in
Perhaps he will feel like he achieved his goal at TSUN and would like to move on to one of the powerhouses in the SEC. Florida might be struggling now and freeze feels like it would be an easy turn around. Who knows but anything is possible. The same goes for Dan

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 06:57 PM
This really hit home with you .. It's ok .. Freeze probably isn't going.. He would be 4 or 5 on the UF list kind of like he was on the OM list..
But don't be surprised if he is on their short list.. And I bet he at least interviews if given a chance..

Ok.... go ahead with the calling me a closet rebel. I'm sorry I don't agree with everything that goes against Ole Miss. I would rather the guy leave because I don't see them getting anyone that recruits nearly as well, but I just don't see him leaving.

mic
10-21-2014, 06:58 PM
HUD to UMiss...
This board would go Into meltdown....

msstate7
10-21-2014, 06:58 PM
And the #1 reason freeze would consider florida...

Get out of the sec west. Your path to the national championship is much easier in the sec east

BulldogBear
10-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I am sure he is a candidate but do we not still have sort of a gentlemen's aggreement not to poach other SEC coaches?

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 07:01 PM
LOL, did you miss the tenure of Rodriguez, Rich? The guy they fired that was actually showing improvement and hindsight shows was a year away from wrecking shit there?

Michigan ain't calling a spread guy. Period.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but he didn't do a whole lot while he was there. It's pretty well known that Michigan has really screwed up their coaching choices.

It's like a bunch of our idiot fans calling for Mullen's head last year, when the logical ones could see how good we could be this year. If I'm not mistaken, you even jumped on the Hud bandwagon. Hindsight shows everything pretty clearly.

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 07:01 PM
And the #1 reason freeze would consider florida...

Get out of the sec west. Your path to the national championship is much easier in the sec east

Most legitimate reason I've seen.

maroon59
10-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Not buying that it is the Freeze personal magnetism bringing in the recruits. It is something more powerful

engie
10-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20, but he didn't do a whole lot while he was there. It's pretty well known that Michigan has really screwed up their coaching choices.

It's like a bunch of our idiot fans calling for Mullen's head last year, when the logical ones could see how good we could be this year. If I'm not mistaken, you even jumped on the Hud bandwagon. Hindsight shows everything pretty clearly.

RichRod showed a 2 game improvement every single year there. They made an impulsive move in year 3 despite clear improvement. The predecessor wins 11 year 1 with RichRod's recruits(and lacking his offensive genius) and has gotten worse every year since.

Everyone saw how good we could be this year. Everyone. You're right -- at one point last year, I was damn near positive that Mullen was going to find a way to piss away this once-in-a-decade stars aligned opportunity for us -- just like he almost pissed away last season and lost of our in-state momentum by playing Perkins and Russell over the elite QB and RB that we are now playing and could potentially now only get for one year. Guys that are absolute program changers sitting on the bench. But fate intervened in the form of injuries and forced him to play them in the Egg Bowl -- and it's been all sunshine and roses since then. You are welcome to actually check my history and my clearly laid out position from that though -- because I was always in favor of keeping Mullen if he made a bowl. Although there was a significant period of time that I didn't think it was going to happen, as it required us winning as an underdog for the first time since UF2010 with a bunch of hurt QBs...

Since then, he has addressed every single problem I had with him. He's made mistakes along the way -- but he does a damn good job of introspecting in the offseason and fixing them.

RougeDawg
10-21-2014, 07:18 PM
His ability to recruit allows his team to play above his coaching ability, imo. I'm not scared to Freeze long term, but I'd prefer not having to battle tooth and nail with them over every player in the state.

Freeze's ability to "Turneth thy blind eye" is why he has recruited so well. Does anyone honestly believe Bucky is bringing these classes in on his own, or with his staff? Please tell me no state fan is this naive. Archie was tasked to find the "correct" coach, that would allow the real bear recruiters do their work without stepping on their own cock. Bucky is a puppet. I can't believe its that difficult to see, that OM could have Satan or Hitler as their head football coach and still pull top recruits, just so long as they didn't f*ck up and step on their own cock.

One it Nutt's downfalls was that he didn't bow down to the cigar boys, and he was not following through on the promises that were made by the Bear Bagmen to the various recruits. Hence the reason Nutt's teams had so much discension and attrition. Nutt was not goin to be told by the bag men what promises he was to fulfill, and the croots weren't happy and didn't play for him. It's not coincidence that his first two years were his best. Those players had been made promises under Orgeron, another bear alumnus croney.

Coach34
10-21-2014, 07:21 PM
I am sure he is a candidate but do we not still have sort of a gentlemen's aggreement not to poach other SEC coaches?

I posed that question as well- waiting to see if I get anything back on that

HailState39110
10-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Freeze's ability to "Turneth thy blind eye" is why he has recruited so well. Does anyone honestly believe Bucky is bringing these classes in on his own, or with his staff? Please tell me no state fan is this naive. Archie was tasked to find the "correct" coach, that would allow the real bear recruiters do their work without stepping on their own cock. Bucky is a puppet. I can't believe its that difficult to see, that OM could have Satan or Hitler as their head football coach and still pull top recruits, just so long as they didn't f*ck up and step on their own cock.

One it Nutt's downfalls was that he didn't bow down to the cigar boys, and he was not following through on the promises that were made by the Bear Bagmen to the various recruits. Hence the reason Nutt's teams had so much discension and attrition. Nutt was not goin to be told by the bag men what promises he was to fulfill, and the croots weren't happy and didn't play for him. It's not coincidence that his first two years were his best. Those players had been made promises under Orgeron, another bear alumnus croney.

Bucky was brought in as a yes man to the real recruiters. It was a Chizik type hire . I talked to multiple Rebel fans during the search and right after the hire and none of them were overly impressed by the hiring of Freeze .

Saltydog
10-21-2014, 07:45 PM
nt

Percho
10-21-2014, 07:51 PM
The only way the Beve is leaving Ole Miss is in a pine box. Ummmmmmmm!

Political Hack
10-21-2014, 07:52 PM

there is, but there's some talk that Foley will fight that to get his guy. Luckily for us, he and Dan won't be working together. I still don't expect it to happen under Slive (not leaving until next summer), but if anyone will challenge it, it will be Foley.

He's the asshat that screwed us (& Dan) over with the cowbells in 2009.

Schultzy
10-21-2014, 08:03 PM
The impending NCAA investigation could influence Freeze's interest in a job like Florida, depending on how serious the allegations are and what he thinks the probability of getting hit is.

Political Hack
10-21-2014, 08:07 PM
The impending NCAA investigation could influence Freeze's interest in a job like Florida, depending on how serious the allegations are and what he thinks the probability of getting hit is.

that's a very good point. they said it "goes back" to previous staffs, but didn't preclude the "current staff" in the investigation. Just noted that it at least spanned back to the past staff. If it's just the past staff, he could very easily bolt. If it's both, he could possibly get a show cause which would prevent him from coaching anywhere. Of course all of this depends on how serious it is, but if it spans two staffs, it's going to be hard for them to deny loss of institutional control.

bgover4
10-21-2014, 08:17 PM
I imagine facilities are better at UF. I'm not too familiar with what TSUN has but I know we have them beat in every facility. Maybe freezes would be interested in leading a true flag ship program against the sec east instead of being little brother in MS. And if we win the egg bowl this year and prove our superiority (again) he may decide making more money at an easier job fits him rather that rising to the challenge.

blacklistedbully
10-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Again with this shit?? The logical ones could see how good we could have been last year, too. Pretty much everybody I knew that got fed up with Dan last year, still loved him for many, many things he did, but worried his stubbornness would prevent him from taking the next step. We got really tired of seeing LP misused running between the tackles time-after-time-after-time, and we got frustrated watching us tap-the-brakes too soon and lose a game because we went conservative too soon.

I guaran-damn-tee you that if Dan did the same thing this year with Holloway instead of JRob, and lost us games because he went conservative on offense & allowed a switch to "prevent defense" too soon, you'd have a lot more people calling for him to be replaced. Thankfully, Dan is doing a MUCH better job this year, even admitting he blew it versus LSU and learned a lesson.

All you jackasses who think this year's performance proves last year's criticism was invalid or unjustified are just being ignorant and close-minded. But what you are especially being are huge, gaping assholes for bringing this, "I told you so" bullshit up when everything is going so well, and we're all pulling together in the right direction.

I think the truth is this:

Dan made several mistakes last year that cost us games. He has done some damn-near miraculous things in changing our culture, finding and developing talent, and finally getting a good staff put together. He's been amazing getting support built up, and getting our facilities upgraded. He's done a bang-up job getting young men of high character into our program. THIS year he's proving he can grow as a coach, admit & learn from mistakes, adapt, etc, etc.

That fact that he is doing this makes EVERYBODY happy as hell, and has us all behind him 100%. But rest assured, he NEEDED to show improvement. That fact that he has improved does NOT mean those who were fed up last year were wrong to be fed up.

Can we PLEASE stop trying to stir this pot again & again? Just what the hell do you think you're going to accomplish? You look like an asshole for doing it, and I look like an asshole for getting pissed about it and defending those of us who felt justified in questioning whether Dan was really going to turn it around.

Why don't we all just drop this shit once & for all and focus on being positive, supporting our team and our university?

dawgoneyall
10-21-2014, 08:19 PM
And they do have a girls basketball team.

Being of age might be a problem.

Radddawg
10-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Florida isn't hiring someone who is less than a decade removed from coaching girl's HS basketball. They have one of the strongest athletic departments in all of college sports. If not THE strongest. They won't sink to the level Archie and all the TSUN good ole boys did a few years back. I think they may talk to Freeze but the top candidates are Gundy and Spurrier. Now the bears D coordinator on the other hand........

cheewgumm
10-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Oh I think they'd be VERY interested in Freeze. There at not many hotter commodities right now. Don't kid yourselves. Matzah used to be a high school coach too... That won't scare them off.

Coach34
10-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Spurrier is not a candidate at all

Coach34
10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Oh I think they'd be VERY interested in Freeze. There at not many hotter commodities right now. Don't kid yourselves. Matzah used to be a high school coach too... That won't scare them off.

exactly. Malzahn played for the NC less than 10 years out of HS coaching

sandwolf
10-21-2014, 08:51 PM
there is, but there's some talk that Foley will fight that to get his guy. Luckily for us, he and Dan won't be working together. I still don't expect it to happen under Slive (not leaving until next summer), but if anyone will challenge it, it will be Foley.

He's the asshat that screwed us (& Dan) over with the cowbells in 2009.

Can Slive or the SEC actually do anything to prevent Florida from hiring an SEC coach? I thought that it was an unwritten rule.......so is there actually anything for Foley to challenge? It seems like he could just make the decision to say, "F*ck you Slive. I am completely at peace with the idea of being on your shit list for a whole 6 months until you are gone."

I don't see Bucky leaving, but if he did, can you imagine the meltdown that would ensue on the plantation? That would be some top notch entertainment....I wouldn't get anything done at work for weeks.

engie
10-21-2014, 08:57 PM
I don't see Bucky leaving, but if he did, can you imagine the meltdown that would ensue on the plantation? That would be some top notch entertainment....I wouldn't get anything done at work for weeks.

They have a history of pine boxing themselves... That's one of the reasons they are so sure Mullen is on the first train out of town. After all, how could anyone want to stay in Starkville when they wanted to leave Oxford?

Goat Holder
10-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Florida isn't hiring someone who is less than a decade removed from coaching girl's HS basketball. They have one of the strongest athletic departments in all of college sports. If not THE strongest. They won't sink to the level Archie and all the TSUN good ole boys did a few years back. I think they may talk to Freeze but the top candidates are Gundy and Spurrier. Now the bears D coordinator on the other hand........

You go so much wrong up in this post. Damn, I get banned and I have to sit back and watch stupid vomit like this get posted.

Gundy and Spurrier are not candidates. Please internalize this. Neither is Bob freaking Stoops.

No defensive coordinator is a candidate. I thought Foley learned his lesson with Zook, but he didn't. Muschamp taught him his lesson once and for all.

Florida is an offensive program. They are at their best when they have an offensive coach. I think they need a passing spread type guy. If they want to hit the home run, they hire Bobby Petrino once and for all.

mic
10-21-2014, 08:59 PM

Bears D coordinator??? Dave Wommack is probably pushing 65... He might go with Freeze to be the DC... If you asked Foley who Dave Wommack was he wouldn't have a clue......

nsvltndog
10-21-2014, 09:17 PM
I saw someone post on twitter that Foley should pull a move like Alabama did with Saban when they pulled him back from the NFL with Chip Kelly. There is your offensive wizard home run hire.

FlabLoser
10-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Nobody is touching Bobby P.

Bobby was damaged goods that wouldn't be able to leave them again and Louisville realized they'd never get a better coach than him - thus the 2nd chance.

Look, fitness is a sport in Gainsville, FL. There's no way UF is hiring a volleyball-chasing head coach where the general population is more fit and fertile than a Arkansas volleyball player.

FlabLoser
10-21-2014, 09:25 PM
I saw someone post on twitter that Foley should pull a move like Alabama did with Saban when they pulled him back from the NFL with Chip Kelly. There is your offensive wizard home run hire.

Chip Kelly's team is currently in 2nd place in the NFC East.

Saban was a failure in the NFL.

Unlike Saban, Kelly isn't leaving the NFL. At least not yet.

Smitty
10-21-2014, 09:26 PM

Saban was 15-17 in the NFL

Kelly is 14-7 and currently 5-1 this year. In the middle of a 5 year 6.5 M a year deal.

Chip Kelly ain't going to Florida.

OM ain't going to the playoffs.

I'd put Hugh as the odds on favorite right now for the job.

Bucky Dog
10-21-2014, 09:32 PM
As long as Slive is there, and the next commish will be an internal promotion, they will NOT allow schools to take others HC. Period. Now taking coordinators and former coordinators is a different story. I've also heard, Coach, that Jim McElwain at Colorado St might be a target. Offensive mind and has turned CSU around and also has the recruiting connections.

dawgs
10-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Chip Kelly's team is currently in 2nd place in the NFC East.

Saban was a failure in the NFL.

Unlike Saban, Kelly isn't leaving the NFL. At least not yet.

Not only that, but kelly hated the recruiting and kissing boosters' asses at oregon. There were more than a few big oregon boosters that were butthurt because he wasn't friendly enough with them and were 100% fine with him moving on to the NFL.

Goat Holder
10-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Nobody is touching Bobby P.

Bobby was damaged goods that wouldn't be able to leave them again and Louisville realized they'd never get a better coach than him - thus the 2nd chance.

Look, fitness is a sport in Gainsville, FL. There's no way UF is hiring a volleyball-chasing head coach where the general population is more fit and fertile than a Arkansas volleyball player.

Nobody said they would. I said they SHOULD.

Coach34
10-21-2014, 09:39 PM
As long as Slive is there, and the next commish will be an internal promotion, they will NOT allow schools to take others HC. Period. Now taking coordinators and former coordinators is a different story. I've also heard, Coach, that Jim McElwain at Colorado St might be a target. Offensive mind and has turned CSU around and also has the recruiting connections.

I wouldnt doubt McElwain either. Did a good job at Bama

Todd4State
10-21-2014, 09:40 PM
RichRod showed a 2 game improvement every single year there. They made an impulsive move in year 3 despite clear improvement. The predecessor wins 11 year 1 with RichRod's recruits(and lacking his offensive genius) and has gotten worse every year since.

Everyone saw how good we could be this year. Everyone. You're right -- at one point last year, I was damn near positive that Mullen was going to find a way to piss away this once-in-a-decade stars aligned opportunity for us -- just like he almost pissed away last season and lost of our in-state momentum by playing Perkins and Russell over the elite QB and RB that we are now playing and could potentially now only get for one year. Guys that are absolute program changers sitting on the bench. But fate intervened in the form of injuries and forced him to play them in the Egg Bowl -- and it's been all sunshine and roses since then. You are welcome to actually check my history and my clearly laid out position from that though -- because I was always in favor of keeping Mullen if he made a bowl. Although there was a significant period of time that I didn't think it was going to happen, as it required us winning as an underdog for the first time since UF2010 with a bunch of hurt QBs...

Since then, he has addressed every single problem I had with him. He's made mistakes along the way -- but he does a damn good job of introspecting in the offseason and fixing them.

I sat by a guy that worked for the Michigan athletic dept. on the plane ride to the Gator Bowl. According to him, a LOT of the reason why they wanted Rich Rod gone was because he was not honoring certain traditions and things like that. The only thing I can equate it to would be a coach coming to MSU and not allowing the team to do the Dawg Pound Rock, forcing us to wear white helmets, etc. Kind of like Croom. But Rich Rod and Michigan weren't fitting together very well.

msstate7
10-21-2014, 09:42 PM
I realize this won't happen, but if I'm foley I call these guys in order:

1. Mark dantonio
2. Bobby Petrino
3. Gary Patterson

Goat Holder
10-21-2014, 09:45 PM
I realize this won't happen, but if I'm foley I call these guys in order:

1. Mark dantonio
2. Bobby Petrino
3. Gary Patterson

I'm telling you, if they hired Bobby Petrino, he might 1-up Urban's accomplishments down there. They have crazy talent on the team RIGHT NOW. Petrino would take Driskell and win immediately.

Todd4State
10-21-2014, 09:45 PM

I'm pretty sure that they are going to get hit with something. It will be a couple of years though based off of the Reggie Bush case.

When you have news reports talking about it, something is going on. And no doubt that Freeze was involved very heavily with the Nkemdiche class, which I imagine is going to involve a LOT violations. If Freeze stays for 2-3 more years at Ole Miss, he is going to suffer the same fate as Billy Brewer. If he leaves for Florida or wherever, he can probably save face and then have some pretty powerful Florida boosters and people like Foley backing him up to save his career.

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Again with this shit?? The logical ones could see how good we could have been last year, too. Pretty much everybody I knew that got fed up with Dan last year, still loved him for many, many things he did, but worried his stubbornness would prevent him from taking the next step. We got really tired of seeing LP misused running between the tackles time-after-time-after-time, and we got frustrated watching us tap-the-brakes too soon and lose a game because we went conservative too soon.

I guaran-damn-tee you that if Dan did the same thing this year with Holloway instead of JRob, and lost us games because he went conservative on offense & allowed a switch to "prevent defense" too soon, you'd have a lot more people calling for him to be replaced. Thankfully, Dan is doing a MUCH better job this year, even admitting he blew it versus LSU and learned a lesson.

All you jackasses who think this year's performance proves last year's criticism was invalid or unjustified are just being ignorant and close-minded. But what you are especially being are huge, gaping assholes for bringing this, "I told you so" bullshit up when everything is going so well, and we're all pulling together in the right direction.

Dan made several mistakes last year that cost us games. He has done some damn-near miraculous things in changing our culture, finding and developing talent, and finally getting a good staff put together. He's been amazing getting support built up, and getting our facilities upgraded. He's done a bang-up job getting young men of high character into our program. THIS year he's proving he can grow as a coach, admit & learn from mistakes, adapt, etc, etc.

That fact that he is doing this makes EVERYBODY happy as hell, and has us all behind him 100%. But rest assured, he NEEDED to show improvement. That fact that he has improved does NOT mean those who were fed up last year were wrong to be fed up.

Can we PLEASE stop trying to stir this pot again & again? Just what the hell do you think you're going to accomplish? You look like an asshole for doing it, and I look like an asshole for getting pissed about it and defending those of us who felt justified in questioning whether Dan was really going to turn it around.

Why don't we all just drop this shit once & for all and focus on being positive, supporting our team and our university?

Only thing I will say to this because I agree it needs to be dropped. There is a big difference in criticism and calling for the program's winningest coach's head. Dan deserved a ton of criticism at times last year, at no did he need to be fired. But "hindsight" was my entire reason of bringing that up. In hindsight, it would have been pretty dumb to fire him.

Everyone is happy, and I'm not trying to stir a pot. I was literally making a point without any ulterior motive.

Intramural All-American
10-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Bears D coordinator??? Dave Wommack is probably pushing 65... He might go with Freeze to be the DC... If you asked Foley who Dave Wommack was he wouldn't have a clue......

Yea, I think the Gator faithful will lose it if another coordinator is hired. Foley needs a splash, so he needs to get a legitimate head coach.

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 10:25 PM

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140917022328/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/0/09/This_gif.gif

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm telling you, if they hired Bobby Petrino, he might 1-up Urban's accomplishments down there. They have crazy talent on the team RIGHT NOW. Petrino would take Driskell and win immediately.

without a doubt!

If I were Foley, my REALISTIC short list would be...

1) Petrino
2) Rich Rod
3) Gundy
and if all three of those fell through
4) Freeze

Johnson85
10-22-2014, 08:02 AM

There are two differences: Mullen has a team built for the long term. We lose a ton next year but provided we don't have Dak or Robinson go early, we have a backup that is playing starting minutes. We probably won't be as good next year b/c we won't have the depth and may not replace P. Smith and BMac's playmaking ability, but we should be damn good.

I think Freeze's top end talent will continue to get better next year, but if nothing else, they will have to replace their QB. How many players on their D are seniors without a '1b'? Next year is their year with Nkemdichee, Treadwell, and Tunsil all playing what should be their last year. Are they really going to have all the pieces to compete next year?

The other big difference is that as people have noted, Freeze doesn't have any longer of a fuse at UM than he would have at UF. Mullen probably has more job security than any other coach in the country. Even if he wasn't successful, we have a history of giving coaches lots of time to turn things around. Not only will Freeze not havea long fuse, he is hurt because his side of the ball isn't even that good. Mullen finally has his specialty clicking. Freeze's specialty is their achilles heel. If he doesn't fix it soon, they will be complaining that all he can do is recruit and that if they don't havea good DC to carry them, they will be toast.

All that said, I don't think Freeze is leaving. But he is in a different situation from Mullen and I couldn't blame him if he looked at getting one big contract at UF, along with access to their recruiting base, and decided to bolt. Worst case scenario he sets his family up for life. Best case he recruits that athletes that his offensive scheme will work, putting a national championship in play if he gets the bodies on D.

Bubb Rubb
10-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Because he was born in Oxford and went to Senatobia High. Wikipedia says this at least. He's a Mississippi guy. Maybe he hates Mississippi, but I doubt it.

I have told the story before, so I'm not going to do it again. Suffice it to say, Freeze is a Mississippi guy in the sense that he was born and raised in state. The myth that he has loved Ole Miss all his life, and that he has his dream job right now is complete horse shit. He hated Ole Miss, actually pulled for State, and ended up going to college at USM. The party line now is that he went down there to play baseball - but don't believe the hype.

IF Florida was interested in Freeze, and IF they were to offer him that job, he would be gone faster than you can say "let us pray." But I gotta tell you....the only pleasure I would find in him leaving Ole Miss is watching the fanbase implode. Personally, I like Hugh Freeze in Oxford. It's the gift that keeps on giving for us. His team just doesn't scare me, and I'm sure Mullen and his staff can't wait to play that game. He's not going to be able to sustain the level of recruiting - he just isn't. As we get better, and he gets exposed, fewer are going to go there.

Mullen would strongly consider a Michigan offer, and that's about the only thing that concerns me. I believe the stuff about he and Foley not seeing eye to eye, but beyond that, I just have a hunch he doesn't want the Florida job regardless. Crazy fans, crazy town, and he already coaches the best team in the best division of the best conference in all of college football. And he's doing what all the experts said could never be done - win big at MSU.

dawgs
10-22-2014, 09:56 AM
What's really scary is muschamp likely becoming the DC at a&m. They've been recruiting the talent, and he can clearly coach D. And a&m can and will outbid everyone else for his services.

engie
10-22-2014, 09:59 AM
What's really scary is muschamp likely becoming the DC at a&m. They've been recruiting the talent, and he can clearly coach D. And a&m can and will outbid everyone else for his services.

A guy that coached at Texas going back to coach at aTm? Wouldn't bet on that...

TrapGame
10-22-2014, 10:05 AM
I can see the OM PR machine use this to say Florida "begged" Freeze to be their coach, offered him the moon but he "loves" ole miss and oxford too much b/c this is his "dream job".

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-22-2014, 10:08 AM
If Freeze were to get offered and he accepted, I assume he would take his staff with him. I don't see UF bringing in a staff like that with ties to NCAA infractions and theft.

Goat Holder
10-22-2014, 10:12 AM
A guy that coached at Texas going back to coach at aTm? Wouldn't bet on that...

Yeah because that sort of thing has never happened before.

Melvin Smith, Tony Hughes, etc etc etc etc etc

Westdawg
10-22-2014, 10:26 AM
This rumor may have legs.....stay tuned for more from #NewsOutWest. In all seriousness, there are some waves brewing in TX that I caught wind of. Ppl that have no affiliation to me, MSU, OM, UF, or anything of the like - Foley is already reaching out his feelers for who may be interested that he could sway quickly and quietly. Muschamp is done and everyone associated at UF football knows it. Everyone is trying to already find somewhere to land after the season, as well.

MadDawg
10-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Only thing I will say to this because I agree it needs to be dropped. There is a big difference in criticism and calling for the program's winningest coach's head. Dan deserved a ton of criticism at times last year, at no did he need to be fired. But "hindsight" was my entire reason of bringing that up. In hindsight, it would have been pretty dumb to fire him.

Everyone is happy, and I'm not trying to stir a pot. I was literally making a point without any ulterior motive.

Of course the folks that wanted to fire Dan Mullen last year don't want that shit brought back up. Who likes to have their dumbassedness pointed out over and over?

engie
10-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah because that sort of thing has never happened before.

Melvin Smith, Tony Hughes, etc etc etc etc etc

They were once Head Coach in Waiting at Ole Miss?

Position coach and very high profile DC are two different things.

engie
10-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Of course the folks that wanted to fire Dan Mullen last year don't want that shit brought back up. Who likes to have their dumbassedness pointed out over and over?

Funny coming from you.

Goat Holder
10-22-2014, 11:05 AM
They were once Head Coach in Waiting at Ole Miss?

Position coach and very high profile DC are two different things.

Muschamp is from Rome, GA and played at UGa. He's now coaching at Florida, one of their biggest rivals.

Any ties he has to Texas are nothing more than from being a hired gun. Guarantee you he cares nothing about the Texas/aTm rivalry. Only the money they pay him to coach football.

Your point is not a good one.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Suppose Freeze does leave OM for who cares where. In that case who does OM go after as a HC? Mullen? Petrino? Saban?

mic
10-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Suppose Freeze does leave OM for who cares where. In that case who does OM go after as a HC? Mullen? Petrino? Saban?

It's OM they won't have to go after coaches.. Coaches will be lining up to get the job..
Don't rule out Jimmy Johnson , Pete Carroll, Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy....

blacklistedbully
10-22-2014, 11:24 AM

Hey moron, if Dan was coaching this year like he did last year, we'd very possibly be in the cellar, with losses to LSU, Auburn and maybe even aTm. He'd be mostly sitting JRob, favoring Holloway up the gut repeatedly for little-to-no gain. We'd have many, many 3-and-outs, especially if we ever managed to get a 10-point lead in the 2nd half, because we'd run up the middle against a stacked box 3 times, then punt. AU & LSU would have eaten us alive in that situation, probably aTm too.

Those are things Dan did last year. The fact that he is NOT doing that this year is one of the biggest factors in our success, along with Dak knowing it was his team from the get-go, prepping and playing his ass off.

We are better this year, not because you were right about Dan last year, but because Dan has obviously adapted and improved. As was mentioned earlier by another Dawg, it's quite likely the injuries forcing the use of Dak last year, and not having Perkins back helped Dan with personnel decisions this year.

But if you can't accept that it's working this year, in large part because Dan stopped doing the stupid shit he sometimes did last year, then you're a fool.

blacklistedbully
10-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Hud. Personally I'd hate to see that happen. I, too, like having Freeze up there. I don't see Mullen losing often versus Freeze going forward. OM would have to continue cheating at a high level, because they will stop at nothing if they continue to lose to us regularly. Eventually this will lead to getting busted.

I think Hud could be very dangerous, able to recruit Mississippi very well, and, I think, a better coach, by far, than Freeze. Imagine what he might accomplish with SEC athletes.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Hud. Personally I'd hate to see that happen. I, too, like having Freeze up there. I don't see Mullen losing often versus Freeze going forward. OM would have to continue cheating at a high level, because they will stop at nothing if they continue to lose to us regularly. Eventually this will lead to getting busted.

I think Hud could be very dangerous, able to recruit Mississippi very well, and, I think, a better coach, by far, than Freeze. Imagine what he might accomplish with SEC athletes.

We agree that hiring Hudspeth would be the best thing that they could do for their program, but is Hud a big enough name to satisfy their egos or would they need to go after a higher profile "name" coach?

Big4Dawg
10-22-2014, 12:09 PM
We agree that hiring Hudspeth would be the best thing that they could do for their program, but is Hud a big enough name to satisfy their egos or would they need to go after a higher profile "name" coach?

They have already gone down that path.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/11/29/2596075/hugh-freeze-mark-hudspeth-ole-miss-coaching-rumors

If I remember, they wanted to add something about him not being able to leave for Mississippi State and he said no. Might be wrong.

engie
10-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Hud won't be coaching at Ole Miss. They went after him the first time, he interviewed, and negotiations broke down when they wanted him to sign a non-compete in regards to Mississippi State... I thought that was well-known?

deltadawg99
10-22-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't think Freeze is as loyal to OM as some would think. The guy grew up 20 minutes away and didn't even go to OM for his undergrad. He went to USM and it wasn't because of a sports scholarship.

Money, easier division, bigger program and a larger in state talent pool would all be reasons for Freeze to take the job.

I think UF goes after somebody that is a head coach and not a up and coming coordinator. They went that route with Muschamp and we've seen how that's worked for them.

Johnson85
10-22-2014, 12:44 PM

I think a coach like Hudspeth looked prior to this year would have been good enough for Bjork. Obviously there is history there that might interfere with him being in consideration in addition to I guess him not being a hot name because he topped out a little (I'm not sure if AD's pay that much attention to this though), but I think Bjork is smart enough to know they aren't getting a name that will satisfy the delusional section of their fanbase. If there is a coach taht knows how to recruit the area, has been successful everywhere he's been, and has been successful as head coach in a smaller conference, I'm guessing he will get a look. I think any SEC team other than Vandy and UK can now go poach a coach from a midtier school in another conference, but I'm not sure schools like MSU or UM would want to open up the purse strings to do so when you don't get that much more likelihood of success really than picking up a successful HC at a smaller school. Would we use our SEC money to go make a godfather offer to a 40 year old version of Bill Snyder so that he would come to MSU (I don't even know who would fit this description now)? Or would we take our pick of up and coming coordinators in major conferences and successful head coaches from smaller conferences?

tcdog70
10-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Florida is a top 5 Job in America. You would be a large Dumb-ass not to give them a serious Look. If you can recruit top ten class to Oxford then you should have the #1 class every year at UF.

blacklistedbully
10-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Hud won't be coaching at Ole Miss. They went after him the first time, he interviewed, and negotiations broke down when they wanted him to sign a non-compete in regards to Mississippi State... I thought that was well-known?

I head the rumor, but have yet to hear it confirmed. In any case, that was then. Circumstances change. Mullen's success here this year has made it less likely the MSU job will pop up anytime soon, unless Mullen were to bolt for a Michigan-type job.

Let's say Mullen is approached by Michigan or some other blue-blood program and turns it down to sign an extension here. In that case, it's entirely possible either Hud or Ole Miss backs off their position on the non-compete, realizing the odds of Mullen being here long-term are much greater than they were the first time around.

bgover4
10-22-2014, 06:34 PM
I would love to see freeze go to Florida. If he flopped down there after their recent history with coaching hires it would be hilarious to watch foley. And I think freeze could still struggle there. He has issues with recruiting players to run the asylum and there would be plenty of those in Florida.