PDA

View Full Version : Interesting baseball note....

HoopsDawg
10-21-2014, 01:45 PM
sorry if already discussed but it looks like Luke Reynolds has made a big impression at 3rd base to the point that Britton has been moved to 2nd.

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Again I say, If Britton is not playing 3rd base this spring then it is just dumb. Britton is an MLB 3rd baseman

engie
10-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Already getting started with the preacher knowing more baseball than Cohen early this year...

The problem is the assumption Britton is one of our best 9 overall players, which is far from a given at this point.

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2014, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned with what position everyone is playing right now. There's always tons of shuffling in the fall.

That being said, Reynolds is supposedly very good... And he's only a sophomore in eligibility, I believe.

bulldogcountry1
10-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Again I say, If Britton is not playing 3rd base this spring then it is just dumb. Britton is an MLB 3rd baseman

To be fair, Cohen did say that Britton was better suited at 2nd. Yeah, I was surprised to hear that too. Cohen likes to tinker and have players that are prepared to play multiple positions, but that's not really what he said to address the question.

All I can say is Reynolds must be showing out, defensively.

msstate7
10-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Britton is very good at 3b defense, but he won't sniff the show with his bat unless he's REALLY improved offensively

Jacksondevildog
10-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Cohen will continue to trade better defense over offense as long as he is our coach. Our teams are built around pitching and defense and I think our infield, defensively this year, will be very good.

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2014, 02:29 PM
To be fair, Cohen did say that Britton was better suited at 2nd. Yeah, I was surprised to hear that too. Cohen likes to tinker and have players that are prepared to play multiple positions, but that's not really what he said to address the question.

All I can say is Reynolds must be showing out, defensively.

This is what people need to realize. Baseball rarely ever goes "exactly as planned" throughout the course of a season. Injuries happen, players underperform, etc. Cohen likes to make sure that pretty much all of our infielders that can play multiple positions.

Alex Detz played 3B, 1B, and DH'd in his career.
Britton has played SS, 3B, and 2B.
Heck has played SS and could easily play some 2B too.
Holland could play SS and 2B.
When Kyle Hann was here, he played SS, 3B, and 2B.
Hell, even Adam Frazier (maybe our best SS ever) played some 2B too.

Almost all of these infielders we have are going to play multiple positions during the season- therefore, they will play multiple positions in the fall to get ready for when things get weird for us (which they always do). Don't look too far into where anyone is playing after one week of scrimmaging.

ETA: The only real "position change" that I take anything out of so far is Humphreys to the OF- which I see as a big positive. But at the same time, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him play a little 3B or 1B this year either.

Homedawg
10-21-2014, 02:37 PM
This time last year people would have gone crazy at the the thought of Britton at third. Just relax Cohen knows what he's doing!

Todd4State
10-21-2014, 02:45 PM
I know the staff thinks highly of Reynolds and they want to get his bat in the lineup. The outfield is crowded to say the least.

Unless a move comes out that is confirmed as permanent- like Humphreys to the outfield- I wouldn't put a lot of stock into it. We won't know until SEC play what we are going to look like.

maroonmania
10-21-2014, 03:27 PM
The only part I find odd about moving Britton is that his arm is much more of a plus than his fielding ability. Arm strength is not nearly as important at 2nd base but fielding consistency is paramount. I don't see Britton to second base as a good move at all if it were to stick.

Todd4State
10-21-2014, 03:31 PM
The only part I find odd about moving Britton is that his arm is much more of a plus than his fielding ability. Arm strength is not nearly as important at 2nd base but fielding consistency is paramount. I don't see Britton to second base as a good move at all if it were to stick.

True about arm strength, but he also has pretty good range. I'm not 100% convinced that this is a permanent move though.

At least if it doesn't work, we know Britton can play third base.

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2014, 03:35 PM
I think what Cohen meant is Britton is a 2B in pro ball. He is putting him there to "push" other players too, I think. We all assume it will be Britton, Holland, Heck and Rea. Of course Heck, was very good defensively last fall and pre-spring but yet Cohen didn't play him until a few games in. Why? I don't know. Heck is a damn good ball player.

I do suspect that Reynolds will be DH some and play in the field later in games. I saw him in Jackson and he doesn't have the arm Britton has. If Britton goes into an offensive slump, then Reynolds may play 3B for an extended time.

I really don't see leaving Heck or Holland out of the middle infield, that would be a big mistake.

engie
10-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Which is assuming he would be our #1 at second base -- and that his arm is better than Reynolds' arm -- a couple of things that are far from guaranteed at this point in time.

Todd4State
10-21-2014, 06:12 PM
One thing to think about with this is the possibility of double switches during games. I don't know exactly what we will do, but we may start Britton at second and Reynolds at third to get our best power lineup out there and then late in the game move Britton to third and bring in Holland to get our best defensive guys out there.

AlSwearengen
10-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Already getting started with the preacher knowing more baseball than Cohen early this year...

The problem is the assumption Britton is one of our best 9 overall players, which is far from a given at this point.

This is a key statement. Britton is going to have to pick up where he ended offensively to get into the lineup. He will get every chance, but he has to start out hitting the ball.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-21-2014, 07:37 PM
How many times did Cohen start the same lineup last year? Not many, and as I recall, we were well into the SEC season before it happened at all. lse)This is fall ball. It's time to experiment.

Is there any chance that Humphreys (or somebody else) takes over first base full time and Wes sits?

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Looks like Wes has got it this year.

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 07:46 PM
How many times did Cohen start the same lineup last year? Not many, and as I recall, we were well into the SEC season before it happened at all. lse)This is fall ball. It's time to experiment.

Is there any chance that Humphreys (or somebody else) takes over first base full time and Wes sits?

And this is a huge reason why we under performed last year too.

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 07:47 PM

I don't care if Tony Larussa is coaching, having britton's arm wasted at 2nd is stupid. Period.

Coach34
10-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Britton is a MLB level glove- no doubt. Bat wont allow him to get past A-ball though most likely

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Aren't you the genius who is predicting us to win 30 games at best next season?

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?17466-So-Kendall-Rogers-doesn-t-have-us-anywhere-near-Omaha-next-year

Smitty
10-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Who would DH if Reynolds plays 3B?

A. Britton 3B glove - Britton bat - Reynolds bat - Holland - Heck

or

B. Reynolds 3B glove - Britton 2B glove - Holland or Heck - ??? DH

(A) just makes more sense to me, but there is a LOOOONG way to go until Opening Day and more importantly SEC play.

engie
10-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Genius**

Here I was thinking it was related to the fact that half our pitching staff went down last year, and the young guys didn't gel quickly enough as freshmen. Who knew platooning actually caused the failure?**

engie
10-21-2014, 08:30 PM
I don't care if Tony Larussa is coaching, having britton's arm wasted at 2nd is stupid. Period.

It's always cute when you pretend to know baseball, but now it's time to quit pretending.

engie
10-21-2014, 08:40 PM

or

(A) just makes more sense to me, but there is a LOOOONG way to go until Opening Day and more importantly SEC play.

I don't think we can assume at this point that Britton would win a battle at 2B presumably with Heck -- or that the DH would be an infielder...

I don't think we can take much from any of this... Besides it looking like Reynolds has a better chance for immediate impact than most of us initially expected.

Looking at his JUCO stats, he had over 1.0 OPS. Was almost twice as likely to walk or get HBP than he was to K. Stole some bases, hit for a nice amount of power. More impressive statistically than either Pirtle or Detz were coming in, although similar in plate discipline.

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Cohen mentioned Reynolds being skinny\scrawny when they first saw him but I bet he got stronger since then. 6-2 180 not too shabby. He could turn out to be a great find but how many WOW plays did Britton have from 3B last year? Cohen loved him there.

Coach34
10-21-2014, 08:53 PM
One thing I know for damn sure- Britton is going to be on the field

Todd4State
10-21-2014, 09:53 PM

or

DH is wide open at this point. Gavin Collins will DH when he is not catching. Aside from that, I suspect it will probably be one of the outfielders most likely, although I think Reynolds is certainly a possibility as well.

Todd4State
10-21-2014, 09:56 PM

The biggest thing we platooned was the corner OF. We sat Rea because he was struggling, but otherwise he was a pretty regular player. And we had to figure catcher out and when we figured out that Collins was our best guy, we stayed with him pretty much too.

Collins, Rea, Pirtle, Britton, Heck, CT, and Detz were all regularly in the lineup by the end of the year.

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Aren't you the genius who is predicting us to win 30 games at best next season?

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?17466-So-Kendall-Rogers-doesn-t-have-us-anywhere-near-Omaha-next-year

yes and I will be correct.

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2014, 10:22 PM

LOL, terrible troll attempt.

So you're saying that our record will be 30-26 AT BEST next year? Okay...

engie
10-21-2014, 10:25 PM

We win 30 or fewer, I will no longer comment on whatever you want me to no longer comment on. We win 31 or more, you no longer comment on baseball in any shape, fashion, or form on this website. Deal? I'll gladly make a similar deal with basketball if you actually believe what you are posting tonight.

DudyDawg
10-21-2014, 10:25 PM

That you, goat?

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 10:34 PM
We win 30 or fewer, I will no longer comment on whatever you want me to no longer comment on. We win 31 or more, you no longer comment on baseball in any shape, fashion, or form on this website. Deal? I'll gladly make a similar deal with basketball if you actually believe what you are posting tonight.

no, and the only reason is because I would never bet against my team. I hope we win 50 and will gladly eat crow if we do but I just don't see it happening. I will agree to never post Negatively again about baseball if we win more than 30 .

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 10:36 PM

as for the basketball we will make a deal on that... we will not make the ncaa tourney or the nit this year. If we do I will never post about basketball again on this site as long as Rick Ray Is the coach. If we don't then you never post about basketball on this site again until we do make the nit or ncaa tourney again.

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2014, 10:40 PM
as for the basketball we will make a deal on that... we will not make the ncaa tourney or the nit this year. If we do I will never post about basketball again on this site as long as Rick Ray Is the coach. If we don't then you never post about basketball on this site again until we do make the nit or ncaa tourney again.

What the ****?!?

Not two minutes before, you just said that you'd never bet against your team. Then the very next post you bet against the basketball team.

You are without a doubt the most perplexing and bipolar poster I've seen in a long time.

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 10:43 PM
What the ****?!?

Not two minutes before, you just said that you'd never bet against your team. Then the very next post you bet against the basketball team.

well it's kind of like when you started kind of half way not minding when croom lost because you knew that was the only way he would lose his job. Its like that with me for Ray. Rick Ray = Sly Croom IMO.

engie
10-21-2014, 10:47 PM

So you are willing to pull against Ray but not against Cohen? Prejudice much?

You don't get to define the terms, as I'm not on the record making outlandish predictions for the basketball team this year. Too much of postseason opportunity is outside of our control as a team with the way the league is currently perceived. 18 wins which shows clear improvement. May be willing to go 19 or even 20 as I continue to get more practice reports.

engie
10-21-2014, 10:50 PM
well it's kind of like when you started kind of half way not minding when croom lost because you knew that was the only way he would lose his job. Its like that with me for Ray. Rick Ray = Sly Croom IMO.

No racist undertones to this at all**

"I'll NEVER pull against my team, but actually I am pulling against my team as we speak". I'd love for you to define actual similarities between Ray and Croom outside of race -- if you can -- which I already know you can't and will destroy when you try.

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 10:57 PM
So you are willing to pull against Ray but not against Cohen? Prejudice much?

You don't get to define the terms, as I'm not on the record making outlandish predictions for the basketball team this year. Too much of postseason opportunity is outside of our control as a team with the way the league is currently perceived. 18 wins which shows clear improvement. May be willing to go 19 or even 20 as I continue to get more practice reports.

we will not win 18 games this year.

engie
10-21-2014, 11:06 PM
we will not win 18 games this year.

Well then that settles it. There's your bet.

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 11:08 PM

"I'll NEVER pull against my team, but actually I am pulling against my team as we speak". I'd love for you to define actual similarities between Ray and Croom outside of race -- if you can -- which I already know you can't and will destroy when you try.

race has nothing to do with it.. easiest similarity is obvious,
1)neither of them wins. Ray Win Pct. .369 SEC- .194 Croom Win Pct. .358 SEC- .250
2)Another glaring similarity is the number of players that leave the program under them both.
3)And a third... Both have overly conservative offensive approach

engie
10-21-2014, 11:21 PM
race has nothing to do with it.. easiest similarity is obvious,
1)neither of them wins. Ray Win Pct. .369 SEC- .194 Croom Win Pct. .358 SEC- .250
2)Another glaring similarity is the number of players that leave the program under them both.
3)And a third... Both have overly conservative offensive approach

1) Ray hasn't had a chance yet. Why don't you post Cohen's first 2 years for good measure. Wait, I forgot, you actually STILL think he sucks too.
2) Where are all these players that are allegedly leaving? We processed 1 and had 1 leave in the last calendar year. There were 541 transfers in D1 basketball last year. Ray has "lost" 1 player since the initial housecleaning.
3) You thought he was going to go 60 minutes of offensive hell without a true point guard when Ready was down and ONE center on roster? The fact that you comment on this while being either so naive or ignorant to situational realities is the primary thing that bothers me about your posting. Preacher pls.

1) Ray is NOTHING like Croom in personality. He is JUST like Cohen and Mullen. Hard-nosed and edgy.
2) Ray is NOTHING like Croom on the recruiting trail. Croom didn't use visits his first year and was falling asleep on coiches -- Ray is recruiting his ass off effortwise and it's starting to pay off with Weatherspoon and Tookie, and likely Newman and Hicks in the near future.
3) Ray has shown himself to be a very good x's and o's coach in situations where he's had the horses, which has been rare so far. He is a better floor coach and gameplanning coach than Stans was -- and that will start to come into focus now that he has enough bodies to fully implement what he wants to do.

Go ahead and say you accept the 18 game deal so I can rest easy knowing the board will be a better place in 7 months.

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 01:45 AM
1) Ray hasn't had a chance yet. Why don't you post Cohen's first 2 years for good measure. Wait, I forgot, you actually STILL think he sucks too.
2) Where are all these players that are allegedly leaving? We processed 1 and had 1 leave in the last calendar year. There were 541 transfers in D1 basketball last year. Ray has "lost" 1 player since the initial housecleaning.
3) You thought he was going to go 60 minutes of offensive hell without a true point guard when Ready was down and ONE center on roster? The fact that you comment on this while being either so naive or ignorant to situational realities is the primary thing that bothers me about your posting. Preacher pls.

1) Ray is NOTHING like Croom in personality. He is JUST like Cohen and Mullen. Hard-nosed and edgy.
2) Ray is NOTHING like Croom on the recruiting trail. Croom didn't use visits his first year and was falling asleep on coiches -- Ray is recruiting his ass off effortwise and it's starting to pay off with Weatherspoon and Tookie, and likely Newman and Hicks in the near future.
3) Ray has shown himself to be a very good x's and o's coach in situations where he's had the horses, which has been rare so far. He is a better floor coach and gameplanning coach than Stans was -- and that will start to come into focus now that he has enough bodies to fully implement what he wants to do.

Go ahead and say you accept the 18 game deal so I can rest easy knowing the board will be a better place in 7 months.

accepted. SEC tourney not included.(not that it matters, I doubt we win 14 games in regular season)

engie
10-22-2014, 09:05 AM
accepted. SEC tourney not included.(not that it matters, I doubt we win 14 games in regular season)

We can gladly make it 14 if you'd like.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-22-2014, 09:27 AM
I love a good cripple fight....

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 10:55 AM
I love a good cripple fight....

I laughed!! Hahahaha!!

tcdog70
10-22-2014, 11:06 AM

Engie-you cant help but be a Dick. bringing up racism is pretty shitty. I think a ray vs Croom comparison is pretty accurate and doesn't have shit to do with Race. if Ray doesn't want to be compared to the worst Coach in MSU History then win some fricking Games. here is some comparisons--Can't Win-can't recruit-causes His fan Base to become apathetic (no Butts in the stands) --Hmm just alike.

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Engie-you cant help but be a Dick. bringing up racism is pretty shitty. I think a ray vs Croom comparison is pretty accurate and doesn't have shit to do with Race. if Ray doesn't want to be compared to the worst Coach in MSU History then win some fricking Games. here is some comparisons--Can't Win-can't recruit-causes His fan Base to become apathetic (no Butts in the stands) --Hmm just alike.

if you don't agree with every little thing engie says he resorts to that kind of stuff.

maroonmania
10-22-2014, 11:30 AM

I agree pulling the race card up in the discussion is pretty bush league. Croom didn't win and neither has Ray so far. If Croom had won he would have been revered and the same can be said of Ray no matter what skin color he has. However, just like Cohen, Ray will be given every opportunity to show things are turning around and going in the right direction because he will have, at minimum, this year and next year before we would even consider making a change.

engie
10-22-2014, 12:17 PM
if you don't agree with every little thing engie says he resorts to that kind of stuff.

No -- I resort to that kind of stuff when I perceive it as true.

Kinda like when the preacher says one thing, then turns around and goes completely against his word 2 minutes later in his next post... Nothing hypocritical about that.

engie
10-22-2014, 12:19 PM

They are nothing whatsoever alike -- and the insightfulness of fans can easily be discerned from their inability to see that.

Anyone whose mind is 100% made up on Ray based on what's happened so far is pushing an AGENDA beyond the reality of the situation or any of the actual tangible data that we have to analyze it. I'm not sorry for calling it like I see it beyond that.

preachermatt83
10-22-2014, 12:22 PM
They are nothing whatsoever alike -- and the insightfulness of fans can easily be discerned from their inability to see that.

Anyone whose mind is 100% made up on Ray based on what's happened so far is pushing an AGENDA beyond the reality of the situation. Sorry I'm not sorry for calling it like I see it.

an agenda? You are an idiot. The only agenda I have is trying to have a basketball team that is not an embarrassment and one that will put fans in the seats.

engie
10-22-2014, 12:27 PM
an agenda? You are an idiot. The only agenda I have is trying to have a basketball team that is not an embarrassment and one that will put fans in the seats.

There you go being hypocritical again.

Please spell out the manner in which you are trying to make our basketball team successful?

Calling them embarrassments and calling for the firing of a coach that's on the verge of a breakthrough that's trying to woo one of the top recruits in the country is what you call a logical path to success?

Joe Schmedlap
10-22-2014, 12:30 PM

I tend to agree, but this is fall ball - time for experimenting.

tcdog70
10-22-2014, 01:30 PM

Anyone whose mind is 100% made up on Ray based on what's happened so far is pushing an AGENDA beyond the reality of the situation or any of the actual tangible data that we have to analyze it. I'm not sorry for calling it like I see it beyond that.

Shit Engie, you got Me. I do have an agenda--Mine is to see MSU get back to being a top 4 Team in the SEC. And a team that when they play in the NIT their fans are pissed. My mind is 100% made up that so far Ray ain't hitting on shit.