PDA

View Full Version : Ashton Shumpert

justwin
10-20-2014, 10:07 PM
What kind of production would Shumpert produce if he replaced Fournette at LSU this year as an experienced soph vs what Fournette is doing as true freshman?

Fournette's numbers so far:

Wisconsin: 8/18yds 2.3
Sam houstton: 13/92 7.1
UL monroe: 10/52 5.2
MSU: 7/38 5.4
new mexico: 18/122 6.8
Aub: 10/42 4.2
Gators: 27/140 5.2
Kentucky: 15/40 2.7

total: 108/504 5.0 7 tds

I think Shump would put up similar numbers. He's only 12/33 2.8 this year. Would be nice if he got 30+ carries next 6 games to mix in a few explosive plays

msstate7
10-20-2014, 10:09 PM
I like shump, but LF is a phenom. LF will be one of the best in the country next season

Coach34
10-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Shump isn't half the RB Fournette is. He just isn't

dawgoneyall
10-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Shump was given some bad advice in high school from someone.

SDDawg
10-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Fournette is going to touch the ball 2 out of 3 times when he lines up. To get those yards when the D knows you're getting the ball is tough.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Shump isn't half the RB Fournette is. He just isn't

Shump was given some bad advice in high school from someone.

Yep. Shump might be a damn fine FB. Too late to know if he'd have been a badass safety. But he's not an elite RB, which is what Fournette will be very soon.

SDDawg
10-20-2014, 10:30 PM
What's the chance that Shump would red shirt and convert to defense next year given our depth? Any chance?

Todd4State
10-20-2014, 11:09 PM
I think next year is the year that Shumpert emerges as a RB. And by emerge, I mean as a quality player that gets 5-10 carries a game.

Todd4State
10-20-2014, 11:11 PM
What's the chance that Shump would red shirt and convert to defense next year given our depth? Any chance?

I don't think that would be a great move to be honest with you. Hughes might come back, Market will be back, Peters is coming in, Evans and Coman play a good bit as back-ups.

I think it would be best to keep him at RB/FB. If he can emerge as kind of a hybrid RB/FB that can run the ball and block to go along with Robinson at the same time in the backfield, that could be pretty awesome potentially.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-21-2014, 07:39 AM
247 interviewed him not long ago and he mentioned that he liked playing special teams because he got to hit people and that he was sort of missing the defensive side of the ball. I think there's a decent chance he moves to defense for next year. Is he fast enough for safety or would he be a hydrid s/lb?

Coach34
10-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Shump would be a hybrid LB- and probably a damn good one

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Here's an excerpt from the article:
"The toughest thing to adjust to so far is the speed and athleticism," said Shumpert. "I just want to keep improving on offense and special teams, and just with all of it. I do whatever I can to help on special teams and coverages and do what they want me to do. Special teams is a big part of football and I actually like it."

Of course, Shumpert is no stranger to playing various roles on the football field. During is honor-filled prep career, Shumpert played on both sides of the football and also returned kicks.

"Since I did play so many positions in high school, I kinda know what the defense likes to do," said Shumpert. "So I try to use that to my advantage and let it help me on offense."

And yes, Shumpert does miss having those defensive duties. His running style does give him a chance to play physical as well as his blocking duties in the backfield.

"I do miss it," said Shumpert. "That is why I try to do so well on special teams, to show the coaches I can do a lot. And I do kinda want to play over there (on defense)."

bulldawg28
10-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Go to defense Shump you've got the mentality!!!

Liverpooldawg
10-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Ever since I saw him in HS I always thought he would be one of those smaller hybrid type linebackers in college.

Sacrifice
10-21-2014, 11:56 AM
I hope he makes that move. With the players we're RS and the ones we have committed, it's gonna be a crowded back field next season. I think he would be great at LB, he's got the size, speed and right attitude for it.

Brahmabull
10-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Shump is too stiff and upright to be an above avg RB in the SEC. He would do well to switch to defense.

maroonmania
10-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Shump is too stiff and upright to be an above avg RB in the SEC. He would do well to switch to defense.

I agree, and we will add quite a number of RBs next year. We will have Robinson and Williams plus a boatload of true freshmen of which 1 or 2 could play early. Wonder if we have any RB commits that will come in January?

archdog
10-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Shump is fine. I understand the comments being made, but he has yet to get a meaningfull amount of snaps to get into a grove. I believe a time will come when we need Shump to perform and he will. He will learn when to be more patient in the backfield and how to set up blocks. He had it in high school, he just has to relearn it for this level.

justwin
10-21-2014, 02:58 PM
yeah, I'd like to see what he could do with ~100 carries as the primary guy before giving up on him @ RB. Of course, he's not going to take Josh's carries, but I do think that he could put up similar numbers to what Fournette has done thus far as Fournette is still figuring it out. If Robinson comes back next year, Shump may not be the primary guy (or have a shot at being the guy) until he's a senior which is crazy.

Shump is fine. I understand the comments being made, but he has yet to get a meaningfull amount of snaps to get into a grove. I believe a time will come when we need Shump to perform and he will. He will learn when to be more patient in the backfield and how to set up blocks. He had it in high school, he just has to relearn it for this level.

msstate7
10-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Speaking of rb's... What's the word on aeris from practice?