PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about Will Redmond?

Lloyd Christmas
10-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Hate to jinx him, but man he has shown HUGE strides in his development over the course of this season. Starting to become the player we all hoped he could be. Sorry Bracky.

mstatefan91
10-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Each week he has improved. Real game situations do that for a player. He will be lights out heading into Ttown I believe.

Eff you Bracky

bulldawg28
10-20-2014, 02:09 PM
He's the best corner we have.

ScoobaDawg
10-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Well... bracky was just doing us a favor keeping him healthy for an extra year.

Sacrifice
10-20-2014, 02:25 PM
He covers guys so close, I literally think he's gonna get a PI call every time they throw at him. Plus he's a unbelievable tackler.

Political Hack
10-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I like him.

mstatefan91
10-20-2014, 02:47 PM
I like him.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/07/Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-poker-45046.png

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-20-2014, 02:58 PM
He's been very impressive, especially in his ability to cover and be physical and I look forward to him shutting down Blue this weekend. We should definitely invest in more jackets...

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2014, 09:59 PM
He's finally started translating his talent into production. Might be our best tackling CB, and that's saying something, considering we have Taveze Calhoun. He's going to be a big factor for us going forward, I think. Capable of getting physical with elite WRs like Cooper, which is a must.

preachermatt83
10-20-2014, 10:03 PM
he is not just our best tackling corner... he is our best corner hands down. He is absolutely incredible to watch. I admitted not long ago that I just flat out missed it on him too. I was chewing him up and spitting him out against UAB but obviously he had been coached all week to keep his eyes in the backfield and peel off for screens and jet sweeps bc since that game he has been unreal. One of the best corners in the SEC

msstate7
10-20-2014, 10:04 PM
He's finally started translating his talent into production. Might be our best tackling CB, and that's saying something, considering we have Taveze Calhoun. He's going to be a big factor for us going forward, I think. Capable of getting physical with elite WRs like Cooper, which is a must.

Yeah we need will to continue to get better. Cooper and treadwell are on the horizon

FlabLoser
10-20-2014, 10:04 PM
He is awesome😜. He covers future NFL picks who will make a play now and then, but more often than not, Redmond wins. And holy crap (crap is spell-checked to Corso, BTW) he can make open field tackles. He might be our best guy for that.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2014, 10:23 PM
he is not just our best tackling corner... he is our best corner hands down. He is absolutely incredible to watch. I admitted not long ago that I just flat out missed it on him too. I was chewing him up and spitting him out against UAB but obviously he had been coached all week to keep his eyes in the backfield and peel off for screens and jet sweeps bc since that game he has been unreal. One of the best corners in the SEC

I'm still not ready to go that far. No one is throwing at Taveze Calhoun for a reason. But Redmond's at least in the argument now. And he's dramatically improved since UAB. I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shoutout to Deshea Townsend for doing one hell of a job coaching up Redmond since then.

Dawg61
10-21-2014, 12:27 AM
He's the best tackling corner we have.

fify

bulldawg28
10-21-2014, 06:15 AM
I'm still not ready to go that far. No one is throwing at Taveze Calhoun for a reason. But Redmond's at least in the argument now. And he's dramatically improved since UAB. I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shoutout to Deshea Townsend for doing one hell of a job coaching up Redmond since then.

No team is scared of Calhoun. Look at it this way when teams throw at him what has he done? He's gotten beat deep this year so far and hasn't broken up or intercepted any passes.

bulldawg28
10-21-2014, 06:17 AM
fify

It wasn't broken. He's a complete corner and the best we have unless your talking about Cleveland. Redmond 1 Cleveland 2

thf24
10-21-2014, 07:40 AM
No team is scared of Calhoun. Look at it this way when teams throw at him what has he done? He's gotten beat deep this year so far and hasn't broken up or intercepted any passes.

I'm not disagreeing that he isn't our best cover corner, but if he's so vulnerable, why aren't teams targeting him instead of avoiding him?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-21-2014, 07:47 AM
I think Calhoun and Redmond complement each other well and having Love available to cover the slot is an added bonus. I think coaches were targeting Redmond early because of his lack of experience and the couple of times he got burned earlier in the year.

Political Hack
10-21-2014, 08:13 AM
I'm not disagreeing that he isn't our best cover corner, but if he's so vulnerable, why aren't teams targeting him instead of avoiding him?

because they're throwing it to their best playmaker... who is covered by Will.

Political Hack
10-21-2014, 08:14 AM
also, since the cast came off, it's been nothing short of excellence.

I seen it dawg
10-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Antoine Winfield

msstate7
10-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Antoine Winfield

Hell of a compliment. Redmond isn't there yet. Potentional though

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 11:53 AM
It wasn't broken. He's a complete corner and the best we have unless your talking about Cleveland. Redmond 1 Cleveland 2

this^^

preachermatt83
10-21-2014, 11:53 AM
because they're throwing it to their best playmaker... who is covered by Will.

This 2 ^^

Dawg61
10-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Jury is still out for me on his coverage and ball skills. No doubt he's the best tackling corner on the team and maybe ever at State. That's high praise so don't get me wrong here. We are the school that's produced Banks, Slay and Smoot so the bar is set high at that position. When he starts dominating the one on one battles vs the top receivers I'll give him the title as best cover corner on the team. He hasn't earned that title yet imo.

blacklistedbully
10-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Let's not forget, on two of those big UAB plays, he as in great position. On one he went for the INT when he should've just batted it away. On another, if I recall correctly, the QB just made a great throw and the WR a great catch.

In any case, he was right there, even on the plays he got burned on. I'm sure our staff coached him up.

Political Hack
10-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Jury is still out for me on his coverage and ball skills. No doubt he's the best tackling corner on the team and maybe ever at State. That's high praise so don't get me wrong here. We are the school that's produced Banks, Slay and Smoot so the bar is set high at that position. When he starts dominating the one on one battles vs the top receivers I'll give him the title as best cover corner on the team. He hasn't earned that title yet imo.

NFL scout quality analysis there.***

bulldawg28
10-21-2014, 06:55 PM

Banks got his ass handed to him by Moncrief. Slay was a no name until Detroit picked him up and Smoot was destroyed by Calico.

War Machine Dawg
10-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Banks got his ass handed to him by Moncrief. Slay was a no name until Detroit picked him up and Smoot was destroyed by Calico.

You are insane. Banks was playing hurt in the game you're referring to. And Moncrief lit up Nickoe that night, too. It had wayyyyyy more to do with Chris Wilson's shitty defensive scheme.

Slay was a no name? Really? He was widely touted as a potential NFL First Rounder his senior season, same as Banks.

As for Smoot, the guy was arguably the best CB to ever play for us. I can't ever remember him getting burned.

Basically, you're pissing on players you can't possibly piss on. Perhaps there's an agenda there. So far as I (and probably most of this board) are concerned, the top 5 CBs to ever wear Maroon and White are Walt Harris, Smoot, Banks, Slay, and Robert Bean. So take your bullshit elsewhere if you wanna rip any of those guys for any one particular game. Occasionally you're going to get beat/have a bad game as a CB. Nature of the position.

Political Hack
10-21-2014, 07:42 PM
You are insane. Banks was playing hurt in the game you're referring to. And Moncrief lit up Nickoe that night, too. It had wayyyyyy more to do with Chris Wilson's shitty defensive scheme.

Slay was a no name? Really? He was widely touted as a potential NFL First Rounder his senior season, same as Banks.

As for Smoot, the guy was arguably the best CB to ever play for us. I can't ever remember him getting burned.

Basically, you're pissing on players you can't possibly piss on. Perhaps there's an agenda there. So far as I (and probably most of this board) are concerned, the top 5 CBs to ever wear Maroon and White are Walt Harris, Smoot, Banks, Slay, and Robert Bean. So take your bullshit elsewhere if you wanna rip any of those guys for any one particular game. Occasionally you're going to get beat/have a bad game as a CB. Nature of the position.

Slay was not widely touted as a 1st round draft pick his Sr season.

long story short, anyone who can't see Will's coverage skills is either blind as a bat or knows shit about football.

Dawg61
10-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Slay was not widely touted as a 1st round draft pick his Sr season.

long story short, anyone who can't see Will's coverage skills is either blind as a bat or knows shit about football.

Sorry bro but you've been blinded by his elite tackling. He's yet to show anything elite coverage wise. Not saying he won't but y'all are calling him a stud corner cause he blows up the defender when he tackles not cause he's picking off balls left and right and forcing the other team to throw to the other side. Redmond will be a stud coverage guy when you stop hearing his name so much. Right now his name is called ten plus times a game cause the ball keeps getting thrown his way. Covering against the best receiver yes but you're calling him elite and elite guys don't get picked on by the opponent.

thf24
10-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Sorry bro but you've been blinded by his elite tackling. He's yet to show anything elite coverage wise. Not saying he won't but y'all are calling him a stud corner cause he blows up the defender when he tackles not cause he's picking off balls left and right and forcing the other team to throw to the other side. Redmond will be a stud coverage guy when you stop hearing his name so much. Right now his name is called ten plus times a game cause the ball keeps getting thrown his way. Covering against the best receiver yes but you're calling him elite and elite guys don't get picked on by the opponent.

I partially agree with you in that I don't think he's an elite, lockdown, Redmond Island-type cover corner yet. But go back and look at his two breakups against Auburn. He was right on the receiver in exactly the right place, and got his hand in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to knock the ball out. That's stuff you can't teach and screams elite potential. He's undoubtedly very good already, and he's going to get even better.

mstatefan91
10-22-2014, 12:21 AM

This is a laughably horrible post. Banks/Slay/Smoot are three of the best corners (even defensive players) that our program has produced, and you are trying to downplay them. Go back to Bafoom cause you sound like someone who posts there regularly.

War Machine Dawg
10-22-2014, 01:29 AM
This is a laughably horrible post. Banks/Slay/Smoot are three of the best corners (even defensive players) that our program has produced, and you are trying to downplay them. Go back to Bafoom cause you sound like someone who posts there regularly.

As I said, they are inarguably 3 of the 5 best to ever wear Maroon and White at their position. Anyone on these boards downplaying them should immediately set off the mods' troll/BearShark detector.

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Allowig Coates 24 yards = elite cover corner. If you can't tell by the way the moves and how he can peel off his man to help others in coverage, you're simply not aware of what's going on. They're going to throw at him. You think they're just not going to throw to Coates, Cooper, Treadwell, Dural, etc... when they're in single coverage? That's asinine.

Dawg61
10-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Allowig Coates 24 yards = elite cover corner. If you can't tell by the way the moves and how he can peel off his man to help others in coverage, you're simply not aware of what's going on. They're going to throw at him. You think they're just not going to throw to Coates, Cooper, Treadwell, Dural, etc... when they're in single coverage? That's asinine.

Elite corners for the #1 team in the country aren't the weaker player in the 1 vs 1 matchup. Till he is the better player in the matchup he's not elite yet. Maybe you and I are having a disconnect with the word "elite" here.

Political Hack
10-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Elite corners for the #1 team in the country aren't the weaker player in the 1 vs 1 matchup. Till he is the better player in the matchup he's not elite yet. Maybe you and I are having a disconnect with the word "elite" here.

so he wasn't elite when he held elite WRs in Coates and Dural and Pope down in the red zone? by your definition, he's there.