PDA

View Full Version : Archie Manning Resigning From College Football Playoff Committee

starkvegasdawg
10-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Said he is stepping down for health reasons due to past knee and back surgeries.

TheRef
10-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Per Chris Mortensen, Archie is resigning due to complications from his knee replacement surgery.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/524182710315921408?s=09

CadaverDawg
10-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Wow. Talk about things possibly lining up.

Hope Archie is ok, but I never loved the fact that he was on the committee.

Political Hack
10-20-2014, 08:19 AM
it could be a terrible backlash for he and his family if OM doesn't make the cut with 1 loss. Think Peyton to UT times 10. I can't imagine having the hopes of that entire entitled fan base resting on his shoulders. They'd probably burn effigies of him or something...

deltadawg99
10-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Archie is a good man and I certainly hope that he is ok.

I am glad that he is off the committee though. Even though technically he couldn't vote for OM to get into the playoffs, I'm sure there will be a lot of politics involved when it comes to the committee votes. This will take away OM's in road per se.

Dawgface
10-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Yeah, not a good situation for him to be on the committee considering his OM ties. It could be due to his knee, but I'm sure he didn't feel comfortable being on the committee.

whosyourdawgy
10-20-2014, 08:25 AM
I don't think Archie could help the Rebs much anyway. I believe I read where committee members aren't allowed to vote on their teams if I'm not mistaken. Kinda like the basketball selection committee can't on their own conference teams

dawgoneyall
10-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Probably the main reason is to avoid any conflict of interest issues that might arise.

Don't like uofm but Archie is above their bunch and if he had to choose MSU over uofm their fan base would go nuts. (Of course our fan base would go nuts if it happened the other way)

DownwardDawg
10-20-2014, 08:40 AM
I don't think Archie could help the Rebs much anyway. I believe I read where committee members aren't allowed to vote on their teams if I'm not mistaken. Kinda like the basketball selection committee can't on their own conference teams

That means absolutely nothing. He may not vote for them, but his influence is strong.

Coach34
10-20-2014, 08:41 AM
We made his ass quit

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-20-2014, 08:48 AM
He was there just long enough to setup up the payments for votes...expect Tim Brando to take his place***

dawgoneyall
If we were 3-3 he would still be on the committee.

Chip
I'm sorry to hear about his health issues. That said, from an MSU standpoint his resignation is a positive.

BulldogDX55
We made his ass quit

Careful with that line, RossDawg82 will call you a classless thug and demand that you should be banned****

MagicDawg
10-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Even if you are not allowed to cast a vote regarding your own team, there is an enormous amount of influencing and lobbying that can happen in meetings, and being on the committee provides an additional degree of access and influence.

Leaving aside the possibility of whatever conscious or unconscious anti-State and/or pro-OM bias might have been present (whether it was a lot, a negligible amount, or none at all), the real political pressure here for Archie Manning was how his ties to OM might be interpreted - by OM fans, by State fans, and by everyone else - as an opportunity lobby. Of all the years for the CFP to start, and of all the years for him to get the honor of being on the committee... it's the year that both his school and their (real) rival are mid-season contenders for the playoff.

I hope he gets healthy, and that his knee situation works out - but he'll probably get healthier faster without the stress of managing the perceptions of bias. He was obviously in for a lot of criticism no matter what happened. The end result is that he can now lobby for his preferences while standing in the wings like everyone else, and nobody can say a word about it.

Gridirondawg
10-20-2014, 08:54 AM
We made his ass quit

Perfect!

maroonmania
10-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Perfect!

Yep, glad he stepped down. With MSU and OM very likely to be in the middle of the discussions it was a no win situation for him.

Ralph
10-20-2014, 09:19 AM

This is true, but he can also choose to not vote for a rival team that deserves to be in.

Pollodawg
10-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Other than being Peyton and Eli's dad, I've never undertsood why the man should be considered college football royalty. He didn't win a Heisman. OM didn't win a NC when he was there. Neither of his sons won the Heisman. Archie was an average at best QB in the NFL. Peyton and Eli have had way more success than he did......

Bullmutt
10-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Other than being Peyton and Eli's dad, I've never undertsood why the man should be considered college football royalty. He didn't win a Heisman. OM didn't win a NC when he was there. Neither of his sons won the Heisman Archie was an average at best QB in the NFL Peyton and Eli have had way more success than he did......

Have to disagree with this. He was a very good NFL QB who played for the most inept team in the league. He spent every game trying to make plays while running for his life. It was an injustice to him that he was never traded to a halfway decent team where his talents could have been showcased.

aerodawg
10-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Other than being Peyton and Eli's dad, I've never undertsood why the man should be considered college football royalty. He didn't win a Heisman. OM didn't win a NC when he was there. Neither of his sons won the Heisman. Archie was an average at best QB in the NFL. Peyton and Eli have had way more success than he did......

You might be wearing some maroon glasses. No he didn't win it all, but he was a very good college and NFL quarterback that didn't have the playmakers around him that many others had. Bear Bryant called him the best quarterback he had ever played against and I don't think anyone believes that Bear Bryant did much "coach speak". He was also ahead of his time with his elusiveness and play making ability. As far as his college career one could see parallels between his and Johnny Manziel. The numbers don't reflect his ability because offenses and defenses were just different in those days.

I don't believe Archie would have held us back, or undeservingly given the rebels any pull beyond wanting to vote for them. As far as his influence, every member is aware of his ties to Ole Miss. I would be far more concerned with being looked over for a team from another crappy conference than I would being even with the rebs and them getting the nod over us. If they beat us in the egg bowl then they will deserve to be picked over us assuming our records are equal. No way in hell would they lose to us and get in over us with the same record.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-20-2014, 10:54 AM

I disagree. When Archie was the Saints qb, he was generally considered to be the best qb in the NFL who had the misfortune of playing on the worst team in the NFL.

Ralph
10-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Have to disagree with this. He was a very good NFL QB who played for the most inept team in the league. He spent every game trying to make plays while running for his life. It was an injustice to him that he was never traded to a halfway decent team where his talents could have been showcased.

No.

Dude threw INT's like crazy. Great QB's make the players around them better. Don't believe the "Archie's been a victim on every team he's ever played on" routine.

College Stats:

Record - 22-10-1
TD/INT - 31/40
Comp % - 52%

NFL

Record - 35-101-3
TD/INT - 125/173
Comp % - 55%

The year he finished 4th in Heisman he scored 14 TD's. Lol.

Pollodawg
10-20-2014, 11:30 AM
No.

Dude threw INT's like crazy. Great QB's make the players around them better. Don't believe the "Archie's been a victim on every team he's ever played on" routine.

College Stats:

Record - 22-10-1
TD/INT - 31/40
Comp % - 52%

NFL

Record - 35-101-3
TD/INT - 125/173
Comp % - 55%

I'll never understand how some of our own fans have been brainwashed into the "Great Manning Myth."

NewTweederEndzoneDance
10-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Yeah, the game was exactly the same back then as it is now.** Some of you are just ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous.

Pollodawg
10-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Yeah, the game was exactly the same back then as it is now.** Some of you are just ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous.

What about him makes him spectacular. Did he win the Heisman? Did OM win a championship while he was there? Other than his two famous sons, what has made the man a house hold name anywhere but to OM fans?

Pollodawg
10-20-2014, 11:38 AM
If you think Archie has any love or respect for MSU, you're about a moron. And if you think he would've helped us out if it came down to State and OM, you are a full-blown moron.

M.Fillmore
10-20-2014, 11:40 AM
I'll never understand how some of our own fans have been brainwashed into the "Great Manning Myth."

Smart words!

Ralph
10-20-2014, 11:42 AM

If you want to change it to "Archie was fun to watch" bc he ran 40 yards horizontally before throwing a pick, that's fine. But don't try to convince everyone that Archie was a great QB. That is laughable.

Just curious, how many NFL games were broadcasted weekly in the 70's? Perhaps Archie was the best some ever saw on a regional television broadcast in 1972.

CadaverDawg
10-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Kevin Fant was a good QB on a bad team. What was his number? Time to change some speed limit signs.***

NewTweederEndzoneDance
10-20-2014, 01:09 PM
If you want to change it to "Archie was fun to watch" bc he ran 40 yards horizontally before throwing a pick, that's fine. But don't try to convince everyone that Archie was a great QB. That is laughable.

Just curious, how many NFL games were broadcasted weekly in the 70's? Perhaps Archie was the best some ever saw on a regional television broadcast in 1972.

My bad: Archie was horrible! Relf was totally the better QB!!!!!! And now, back to your regularly scheduled programing.

drunkernhelldawg
10-20-2014, 01:11 PM
With both State and Ole Miss contending, he was too close to the situation. I hope his health is good.

RossDawg82
10-20-2014, 01:14 PM
What about him makes him spectacular. Did he win the Heisman? Did OM win a championship while he was there? Other than his two famous sons, what has made the man a house hold name anywhere but to OM fans?

By that logic, Peyton Manning is also a bad QB. Archie from a media perspective embodies what a athlete should be. He was a good player with the tools he had to work with, never had a single off the field issue, respectful to anyone he comes across. It isn't always accolades that makes you a great player.

drunkernhelldawg
10-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Kevin Fant was a good QB on a bad team. What was his number? Time to change some speed limit signs.***

Not everybody agrees with that. I sure don't.

Pollodawg
10-20-2014, 01:23 PM
By that logic, Peyton Manning is also a bad QB. Archie from a media perspective embodies what a athlete should be. He was a good player with the tools he had to work with, never had a single off the field issue, respectful to anyone he comes across. It isn't always accolades that makes you a great player.

Peyton and Archie are apples and oranges. Peyton has the hardware to prove it, and so does Eli. And if we all want to use the whole "Archie was a good QB on a bad team." BS, look at the Colts after Peyton left and before Luck got his feet under him. I am just saying that I don't buy the Manning Myth, dude. Some of our fans need to have the stones to start questioning this stuff.

Pollodawg
10-20-2014, 01:25 PM
My bad: Archie was horrible! Relf was totally the better QB!!!!!! And now, back to your regularly scheduled programing.

Well, enlighten us. Don't just make snarky comments. And why are you even a State fan. On the two sites, I have seen you defend OM more than you talk about MSU.

RossDawg82
10-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Peyton and Archie are apples and oranges. Peyton has the hardware to prove it, and so does Eli. And if we all want to use the whole "Archie was a good QB on a bad team." BS, look at the Colts after Peyton left and before Luck got his feet under him. I am just saying that I don't buy the Manning Myth, dude. Some of our fans need to have the stones to start questioning this stuff.

Im not saying he was the best QB in the world here. Im saying he was decent. His attributes on the field are not why he, Peyton, and Eli are the media darlins of Football. It is because they are just simply good guys who are smart, hard workers, and respectful.

Pollodawg
10-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Im not saying he was the best QB in the world here. Im saying he was decent. His attributes on the field are not why he, Peyton, and Eli are the media darlins of Football. It is because they are just simply good guys who are smart, hard workers, and respectful.

You've met all three and know them personally enough to know this? And if it came down to OM and State, do you think Archie would pick MSU if we deserved it?

RossDawg82
10-20-2014, 02:03 PM
There are a lot of people I haven't met that I feel are good people. I don't automatically think just because he is an OM alum that he is a asshole.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
10-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Well, enlighten us. Don't just make snarky comments. And why are you even a State fan. On the two sites, I have seen you defend OM more than you talk about MSU.

How does thinking Archie Manning was a good QB in his day, and recognizing that he is widely called the Patriarch of Football's First Family, mean I am not a State fan? This post of yours is exactly why I made my snarky reply. The Mannings are the darlings of the football world for a lot of reasons, including on the field achievements, the way they are off the field, Archie's work with CBS in broadcasting and in generally staying in the forefront of college football. I'm not defending OM, nor am I making any comment whatsoever on whether he would have been impartial or not on the selection committee. Not blindly hating on Archie just because he went to Ole Miss before I was even born does not make me any less of an MSU fan than anyone else, regardless of your need to try and define who can and can't be an MSU fan.

drunkernhelldawg
10-20-2014, 02:06 PM
It's radical to try and sell that Archie (Archie Who?) was not a good quarterback. Somebody on this thread is even selling the idea that Kevin Fant is equal to Archie. This stuff doesn't make us look smart. He had a winning college record and won two out of three bowls games (including the Sugar Bowl, my Holy Grail for a long time). He did have a losing pro career, though he was able to stay in the league for more than ten years, which is in itself impressive. To deny that he was a special player, dynamic, talented, and exciting to watch, is just going too far. Few on here remember anything from 60's and 70's, but everybody is always ready to put Mississippi's number one football ambassador down every time his name comes up. I'm sure that Archie has done something to hurt Mississippi State, but when we put this stuff out there we're hurting ourselves. It's one of those don't say anything at all if you can't say something nice cases. That's for the protection of the errant speaker. His team's record was 1-1-1 vs. us. I don't think he was the qb when we beat ole miss 19-14 in 1970. I don't know but I think he may have been injured. Wouldn't mind somebody clearing that up for me. That was a huge win for us and "19-14" became a favorite chant every time we played ole miss in anything for awhile. We even had a bumper sticker.

CadaverDawg
10-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Not everybody agrees with that. I sure don't.

I don't either....thus the ***'s

RossDawg82
10-20-2014, 02:25 PM
How does thinking Archie Manning was a good QB in his day, and recognizing that he is widely called the Patriarch of Football's First Family, mean I am not a State fan? This post of yours is exactly why I made my snarky reply. The Mannings are the darlings of the football world for a lot of reasons, including on the field achievements, the way they are off the field, Archie's work with CBS in broadcasting and in generally staying in the forefront of college football. I'm not defending OM, nor am I making any comment whatsoever on whether he would have been impartial or not on the selection committee. Not blindly hating on Archie just because he went to Ole Miss before I was even born does not make me any less of an MSU fan than anyone else, regardless of your need to try and define who can and can't be an MSU fan.

This is called a level-headed person. Some people on this board just feel that if you have any ties to OM you are the worst human being on this earth. I hate Ole Miss Football and a majority of their fan base for one reason or another. But its not because they went to the school. That kind of thinking is childish IMO

Ralph
10-20-2014, 05:28 PM
I honestly haven't seen anyone on this thread say we should hate Archie or OM. Just saying archie was nowhere near a 'great qb' in any legitimate conversation. I've never heard anyone outside the state of MS or saints fan even mention Archie. Ever. Unless it was for fathering 2 great nfl qbs.

Some ppl on this board need to quit pumping mediocrity as greatness. And as far as not having ties to OM... My wife is an OM alum.

Schultzy
10-20-2014, 05:59 PM
It's a non-recusal, recusal.

Political Hack
10-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Eli was better than Archie in college. So was Peyton, obviously. He's not the holy grail of college football... he's just an icon at Ole Miss and has parlayed his career into a successful media member by being a genuinely good guy.

No one compares him to Favre, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Montana, Young, Marino, Bradshaw, or Broadway Joe.

Coach34
10-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Somehow- Archie Manning won SEC player of the year in 1969 and was 4th in the Heisman voting. Ole Missus went 8-3 with losses to Kentucky, Houston, and Alabama. Alot of his legend went to his performance in a loss vs Bama. Very little TV back then- but that one was on.

He led Ole Missus teams to records of:

7-3-1
8-3
7-4

He threw 31 TD passes in college- with 40 Interceptions...Legend

dawgoneyall
10-20-2014, 09:00 PM
And his team went 1-1-1 against MSU during our more depressing years.

I know, I know the loss was when he had a broke arm and Shug was QB.

But the tie....uofm made a come back and tied State.

FlabLoser
10-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Somehow- Archie Manning won SEC player of the year in 1969 and was 4th in the Heisman voting. Ole Missus went 8-3 with losses to Kentucky, Houston, and Alabama. Alot of his legend went to his performance in a loss vs Bama. Very little TV back then- but that one was on.

He led Ole Missus teams to records of:

7-3-1
8-3
7-4

He threw 31 TD passes in college- with 40 Interceptions...Legend

I thought we already established that Chris Relf was better than Archie Manning.

dawgoneyall
10-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Hey coach read this....interesting.
http://dan-dansoldschoolsecpage.blogspot.com/2010/07/most-underrated-sec-qb-ever-tommy-by.html

Todd4State
10-20-2014, 11:31 PM
No.

College Stats:

Record - 22-10-1
TD/INT - 31/40
Comp % - 52%

NFL

Record - 35-101-3
TD/INT - 125/173
Comp % - 55%

That's crazy that he only won 13 more games in the NFL than he did in college.

Todd4State
10-20-2014, 11:40 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Archie I'm sure is a very nice person in general. That doesn't mean that he is going to be totally objective and unbiased. It's not mutually exclusive.

Archie knows as well as any of us how Ole Miss people are. Heck, they hung him in effigy because Peyton went to Tennessee when Ole Miss was on probation. If it comes out that he supported MSU, it could cause him some problems. Objectively speaking if he is obviously biased in the playoff committee meetings, that could also cause him some problems as well. By being on this committee, he's in a no win situation at least for this year.

He's doing the right thing for himself, which also happens to be the best thing for all of us.

But one thing that I want people to know crystal clear- even though Archie is nice, he is not a friend of MSU and he's not going to help us. It is what it is. Joe Namath isn't going to help Auburn either. Tim Tebow isn't going to help Florida State. It's incredibly na?ve of State fans to think that because Archie is nice that he will somehow give us a pass.

Coach34
10-21-2014, 06:05 AM
http://dan-dansoldschoolsecpage.blogspot.com/2010/07/most-underrated-sec-qb-ever-tommy-by.html

great find. I enjoyed that

Bullmutt
10-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Great article! I remember watching The Bear's Sunday show after the Ala-State game in Pharr's senior year and, after commenting on a Pharr long-yardage play, he remarked "I'll be glad to see that little gentleman graduate, I'll just tell ya"! Watching Pharr play was like watching Tarkenton in his prime; he'd scramble around behind the los being pursued by 2-3 players for what seemed like forever before launching the ball downfield. Over the two seasons I watched him play, I was surprised he made it through a season without serious injury, but it was pretty rare that anyone was able to lay a solid hit on him. Great athlete.

drunkernhelldawg
10-21-2014, 11:19 AM

Awesome site. I joined it. I'd hate the miss a throwback update.

RougeDawg
10-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Archie is one of the leaders of the bear recruiting machine. Sure on the outside he appears like a good guy, but then again Bucky does also to those who judge a book by its cover. Archie is as slimy as any bear and headed the OM coaching selection committee for a reason. he had to find a coach to "Turn Thy Cheek" to their dirty recruiting tactics. Plain and simple. And for those of you who say you know him, you know the person he wants you to know. He's as dirty as any bear when it comes to "The Game". Those who don't see this are in denial. Period. Screw him and their entire alumni base.