PDA

View Full Version : What do we have to do to beat KY?

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2014, 05:31 PM
That's right, what do we have to do to beat Kentucky?

We have been on the other side of this type of game way to many times in my life, and I always cringe when the other fan base is arrogant and acts like we will be a push over.

Let's not be that way. Let's stay humble and remember how much danger there is in over looking hungry, underdog, SEC teams since we have been in that position many times over.

As a fan base, let's respect each and every opponentt, as if we were playing MSU in a normal year.

How do we beat KY?

For me we need to come out and set the tone early. with energy and physicality. We must not allow KY to gain confidence by thinking they are out playing us.

We are the number 1 team in the country, and, while I fully expect us to make some mistakes, we must come out ready to play and with the understanding that we will get everyone's best game. We are the hunted.

BeastMan
10-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Show up

Political Hack
10-19-2014, 05:36 PM
show up.***

Run the ball and let our defense play like they normally do.

Bob Sacamano
Score more points that them**
Works 100% of the time

In all seriousness:
1) Don't give up the big play especially on the trick plays.
2) Pressure Towles with our DL
3) RTGDF

GreenheadDawg
RTGDF and control the line of scrimmage

Political Hack
damnit. BeastMan beat me to it. Great minds and all...

mstatefan91
Score more points than them

gravedigger
10-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Show up

Nice😛

steeldawg
10-19-2014, 05:39 PM
What's been echoed already:

1. Show up
2. Commit to running the ball (has been the case all year... I expect the run will be dominant again)
3. Don't turn it over
4. Don't give up the big play. Make them earn EVERYTHING

Nothing about UK scares me. So long as we show up and play our game, we should have no issues. The only time we might have an issue is if we screw around, don't take them seriously, turn the ball over, and give up a few cheap scores.

IMissJack
10-19-2014, 05:40 PM
We need to do more than show up. I hate that talk. Run the football, and no turnovers equals win.

mstatefan91
10-19-2014, 05:41 PM
We need to do more than show up. I hate that talk. Run the football, and no turnovers equals win.

Show up kinda entails that we play our game which if we do, we win. :)

TUSK
10-19-2014, 05:43 PM
I was gonna say "show up".

I'll just defer to beastman.

dawgoneyall
10-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Pressure with DL and throw in several blitzs

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Show up

I think your right, but GD this attitude scares me. I've gotten pissed for 20 years when other fan bases say this. I want our players to show up ready to play their way game.

IMissJack
10-19-2014, 05:49 PM
I think your right, but GD this attitude scares me. I've gotten pissed for 20 years when other fan bases say this. I want our players to show up ready to play their way game.

This is what I meant.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2014, 05:50 PM

And for 20 years we've lost anyway.

defiantdog
10-19-2014, 05:50 PM
The only thing that scares me about Kentucky is that we always play them close.... no matter how good or bad we are. But this team does seem different. We're bigger, faster, and better coached.... JRob may have a career day if he doesn't get gassed.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2014, 05:52 PM
As long as we give up no easy scores, and make them one dimensional....we should be ok. Make Towles win the game with his arm. When they're able to be balanced, they are a decent offense....so eliminate the run and force them to win it through the air.

Offensively, don't get cute. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, then play action. Then run, run, run, run, run, and run the ball some more.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2014, 05:52 PM
And for 20 years we've lost anyway.

This

Yes, solid post

CadaverDawg
10-19-2014, 05:54 PM
The only thing that scares me about Kentucky is that we always play them close.... no matter how good or bad we are. But this team does seem different. We're bigger, faster, and better coached.... JRob may have a career day if he doesn't get gassed.

Yea, they always play us tough. Their ego's have to be bruised up pretty bad after LSU though. They were riding high into that game, and LSU promptly told them they were still Kentucky in beat down fashion. Will they respond, or start prepping for hoops?

gravedigger
10-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Ok. Ill b serious. Hit them hard on every play. Thats it. Its why the aggies had the dropsies.

Political Hack
10-19-2014, 05:56 PM
it's a very losable game if we trot in and trot out, but I think people are underestimating this team's moxy.

thunderclap
10-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Show up with the same chip on our shoulder that has been there.

There, fixed it.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2014, 06:07 PM
it's a very losable game if we trot in and trot out, but I think people are underestimating this team's moxy.

Agree

We've come wwwaaaayy to far to put up a clunker in Lexington. We need to show up with swagger, and whip their ass from the moment we get off the bus.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2014, 06:09 PM
The difference between good teams and great teams is "Good teams" play against their opponent while "great teams" play against themselves seeking perfection.

We have a chance to become a great team next weekend.

msstate7
10-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Coming off the bye against aTm, we let the Aggies score a quick td before we got our feet under us. We don't need to allow that this week. If kentucky gets up 7-0, theyll play with some confidence. If we jump on them early after lsu pounded them, they'll fold

BeastMan
10-19-2014, 06:17 PM
I wasn't trying to be flippant. MSU is just a much better team. It would take a bed shutting of epic proportions to lose this game. My expectations as a MSU fan are changing and everyone else's should too. We aren't "poor ole MSU" anymore and my attitude won't reflect that.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
We need to play our game. Stay with what got us here.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2014, 06:22 PM
I wasn't trying to be flippant. MSU is just a much better team. It would take a bed shutting of epic proportions to lose this game. My expectations as a MSU fan are changing and everyone else's should too. We aren't "poor ole MSU" anymore and my attitude won't reflect that.

I completely agree. But again, great teams focus on the moment. Us fans should do the same.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2014, 06:25 PM
It would take us getting cute, like going back to our QB rotation in the first quarter or something like that. As long as we come in on a mission, we should be fine. I actually think it will be better for our focus to be on the road.

Dawgheadcheese
10-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Show up (like others have said)

starkvegasdawg
10-19-2014, 06:32 PM
This is why I love the quote Mullen had about us being number one. He said the staff does everything in their power to make them feel like number two everyday when they leave the facility. Complacency is not allowed.

Beaver
10-19-2014, 06:35 PM
With Dak's leadership, I can't see the offense coming out flat for more than a series or two in any game. On defense Collins needs the stay aggressive, and the front 7 must make a conscious effort to disrupt the QB. If this game is close, and OM destroys LSU, then they could jump us in the polls..

MarketingBully01
10-19-2014, 06:42 PM

We have been on the other side of this type of game way to many times in my life, and I always cringe when the other fan base is arrogant and acts like we will be a push over.

Let's not be that way. Let's stay humble and remember how much danger there is in over looking hungry, underdog, SEC teams since we have been in that position many times over.

As a fan base, let's respect each and every opponentt, as if we were playing MSU in a normal year.

How do we beat KY?

For me we need to come out and set the tone early. with energy and physicality. We must not allow KY to gain confidence by thinking they are out playing us.

We are the number 1 team in the country, and, while I fully expect us to make some mistakes, we must come out ready to play and with the understanding that we will get everyone's best game. We are the hunted.

This isn't the Mississippi State that we have cheered for all these years. We have a front running Heisman leading QB leader in Dak Prescott. Our goal on offense should be balance like it always is. Kentucky's weakness is their interior DL and secondary. They have great DE's but we should still have a big game on the ground. They don't have an answer for Bear or Lewis so the passing game will be there as well. Seeing that film room segment with Dak and Dan should give you confidence Dak will keep making the right decisions depending on what looks Kentucky gives us.

On defense, we should be able to put a lot of pressure on Towles effecting their passing game and with our front seven we should be able to shut their running game down. Kentucky's MO the last few games has been starting slow so I predict we get up 14 or 17 to 0 and go from there with the final being 45-17 or something like that.

MarketingBully01
10-19-2014, 06:44 PM
With Dak's leadership, I can't see the offense coming out flat for more than a series or two in any game. On defense Collins needs the stay aggressive, and the front 7 must make a conscious effort to disrupt the QB. If this game is close, and OM destroys LSU, then they could jump us in the polls..

Ole Miss isn't destroying LSU.

DudyDawg
10-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Bye week before, no bama/OM type game right after. No worries.

Sacrifice
10-19-2014, 06:58 PM
I fully expect Kentucky to come out Saturday and play out of there minds. There at home, they got embarrassed Saturday night, we're the #1 Team in the entire F-in country!!!!!.... ..... ....We need to step on the field, reach down and grab a hold of them boys and rip any heart they have left out of them.

MarketingBully01
10-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I fully expect Kentucky to come out Saturday and play out of there minds. There at home, they got embarrassed Saturday night, we're the #1 Team in the entire F-in country!!!!!.... ..... ....We need to step on the field, reach down and grab a hold of them boys and rip any heart they have left out of them.

They are a young team and were demoralized. Those type of games for a young team can cause teams to come out flat and lead to more stomps. Look at A&M.

drunkernhelldawg
10-19-2014, 07:09 PM
I haven't really studied KY closely, but i have seen them play some good football in parts of games and highlights. I think they're a dangerous offense. 45-17 would be great, but I expect a closer score.

bluelightstar
10-19-2014, 07:13 PM
I haven't really studied KY closely, but i have seen them play some good football in parts of games and highlights. I think they're a dangerous offense. 45-17 would be great, but I expect a closer score.

They've played one good team all year and lost by 38.

TrapGame
10-19-2014, 07:14 PM
UK will come out hyped but Dak and JRob and the Pyscho Defense deflate that balloon in the first quarter. The stadium will be bleeding blue middle of the third.

TUSK
10-19-2014, 07:15 PM
dig on this, yall should be able to come out lackadaisical and cocky, play like lethargic crap for 2.5 quarter against a team that's playing balls to the wall at home...

that you should beat by 15-20...

and then you do, anyway....

MSU 28-13

BulldogDX55
10-19-2014, 07:17 PM
dig on this, yall should be able to come out lackadaisical and cocky, play like lethargic crap for 2.5 quarter against a team that's playing balls to the wall at home...

that you should beat by 15-20...

and then you do, anyway....

MSU 28-13

Our lowest point total this year is 31 @LSU, a much better defense and more hostile environment, and you think we only score 28 on Kentucky? C'mon man.

Coach34
10-19-2014, 07:24 PM
We've also had 2 weeks to get ready for Kentucky. We always spend 1 day during the offweek preparing for OM. I'm sure we will be ready to go and beat them about 41-17 as someone else said.

Jack Lambert
10-19-2014, 07:42 PM
After watching KY a few times I am not worried.

smootness
10-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Our lowest point total this year is 31 @LSU, a much better defense and more hostile environment, and you think we only score 28 on Kentucky? C'mon man.

We actually scored 34 on LSU, which obviously only strengthens your point.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Show up and play like a No. 1 team should.

FIFY

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2014, 08:40 PM
We always spend 1 day during the offweek preparing for OM.

Yo, Clark, you serios about this?

GrassOfDWS
10-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Follow the script for beating teams on the road that aren't as good as you.

1. Don't give them any hope early.
2. Play to your strengths.
3. Make the other team give up.

With that being said score early and often. Run the ball and physically punish the Wildcats. Keep them honest with the pass, and be up by three scores at half time. Stretch the lead to 4 or 5 scores after half time and watch the Wildcats wilt. Pretty much what we did to LSU minus the lack of taking our foot off the gas and basically begging the opposition to get back in the game.

Coach34
10-19-2014, 09:54 PM

yep...altho we may have used one on Bama instead this year. But that is normal protocol- one day during the offweek is spent on Ole Missus

I seen it dawg
10-19-2014, 10:17 PM

How do we beat KY?

Have you watched us this year? We come to play.

I seen it dawg
10-19-2014, 10:19 PM
The difference between good teams and great teams is "Good teams" play against their opponent while "great teams" play against themselves seeking perfection.

We have a chance to become a great team next weekend.

Get on board. We are the best team in the country. We won't throw up a clunker. Our clunker was Auburn. We are a great team right now.

I seen it dawg
10-19-2014, 10:20 PM

Bingo. Get on board people and lose the ***** scared shit.

I seen it dawg
10-19-2014, 10:22 PM
I completely agree. But again, great teams focus on the moment. Us fans should do the same.

To be honest we don't have shit to do with the fact our team is ready for the moment. They are ready and continue to show it. But you keep the masses pumped up cheerleader.

I seen it dawg
10-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Going in dry. And tusk we are going to hammer your ass too.

Pollodawg
10-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Several teams do that. Auburn preps for the Iron Bowl all year just like State and OM prep for one another all season and probably Clemson and SC.

headcoach98
10-20-2014, 08:18 AM
This is a game where I would like to see a 2nd RB step up and eat up yards.

RougeDawg
10-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Several teams do that. Auburn preps for the Iron Bowl all year just like LSU and OM prep for one another all season and probably Clemson and SC.

Fixed it for ya.

CadaverDawg
10-20-2014, 08:46 AM
This is a game where I would like to see a 2nd RB step up and eat up yards.

I agree. I'd love for JRob to go off for about 120 in the first half, and then have Ashton come in and grind up yards in the second half. Not counting on it though.

mparkerfd20
10-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Show up.

EDIT: Now after seeing at least 5 others say the same thing I can see my heads in the right place. Those worried about this game should just stop now.

drunkernhelldawg
10-20-2014, 10:24 AM
We should win easily, but my main football axiom is: Expect the unexpected. This is not a small game. It means so much in solidifying our outrageously excellent position. I'm not trying to be negative, but I guarantee that this hungry Kentucky team is going to be trying their best to win the game. Like anything else, we only get it if we take it. Make plays and overcome any mistakes without compounding them.