PDA

View Full Version : Question about pass interference in the End Zone.

Jack Lambert
10-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Example. My offense is on our 45 yard line. I throw a hail mary to the end zone and pass interference is called in the end zone we get the ball on the one yard line? So that is an 55 yard penalty?

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-18-2014, 02:32 PM
I thought it was automatic 15 in college unless play started inside the 20, then would be half the distance. Pro goes to two yard line in think.

May be wrong all around...

smootness
10-18-2014, 02:34 PM
I thought it was automatic 15 in college unless play started inside the 20, then would be half the distance. Pro goes to two yard line in think.

May be wrong all around...

Yep. College is 15 yards, pro moves it to the spot of the foul.

Martianlander
10-18-2014, 02:35 PM
In college, pass interference is not a spot foul anymore, it's a 15 yard penalty. However before they changed the rule, as in the NFL now, yes it's actually 54 penalty yards since it's placed on the one yard line.

cujo
10-18-2014, 02:38 PM
There is some situation where it gets placed on the 2 yd. line. Maybe if the play starts from inside the 10 or something, I don't know.

smootness
10-18-2014, 02:44 PM
There is some situation where it gets placed on the 2 yd. line. Maybe if the play starts from inside the 10 or something, I don't know.

If the play started at the 4 in college.

sleepy dawg
10-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Found this good explanation. Everyone needs to know this... good stuff.

Reference:
http://www.profootballreferee.com/1166/football-officiating-pass-interference/

Relevant text from article:

Defensive pass interference always includes an automatic first down for the offense. The location of the penalty enforcement depends on the where the foul occurs in relation to the previous spot. If the foul takes place FEWER than 15 yards beyond the previous spot, then the penalty is simply an automatic first down at the spot of the foul, and no additional yardage is assessed. If the foul takes place 15 OR MORE yards beyond the previous spot, then the penalty is 15 yards from the previous spot plus an automatic first down. So for example, if the interference takes place seven yards downfield from where the ball was snapped, then the next play is a first down at that spot (officials call this a ?spot foul?); but if the foul takes place, say, 25 yards beyond where the ball was snapped, then the officials will step off 15 yards from the previous spot?again, with an automatic first down.

Things get more complicated when the offense gets near the opponent?s goal line. The two-yard line takes on special significance. If the ball is snapped outside the defensive team?s two-yard line, defensive pass interference will never place the ball inside the two-yard line. So, for example, if the offense snaps the ball at the 12-yard line and there is defensive pass interference at the one-yard line or in the end zone, the offense gets a first down at the two-yard line. Think of the two-yard line as a sort of ?wall? for enforcement of the penalty.

Furthermore, the half-the-distance rule is also different for defensive pass interference. For most fouls, a penalty will not cause the ball to be snapped closer than half the distance from the enforcement spot to the nearest goal line. However, this is not the case for defensive pass interference when the ball is snapped outside the defensive two-yard line. For example, if the ball is snapped at, say, the 18-yard line and there is defensive pass interference in the end zone, then the officials will step off the full 15 yards from the previous spot, and the offense will have first down at the three-yard line. If the ball is snapped on or inside the two-yard line, then the half-the-distance rule does apply.

Jack Lambert
10-18-2014, 04:59 PM
That does clarify that.