PDA

View Full Version : Friday baseball scrimmage.

MsStateBaseball
10-17-2014, 07:21 PM
From what I read:

Lots of great plays by defenders. Robson stood out, Cody brown stood out. We have so many quality players where I start.

Starting pitching Preston and Daniel Brown: crafty guys that get outs.

Collins is the third man in lineup, our best hitter. Rooker and Fr Cole Gordon might not play in field a lot but will get plenty of pitch hits.

I am telling you we will be a very good team. Defense is outstanding, offense seems to be a lot better. Preston Brown is a weekend starter. If he was healthy all year in 2014, it would have different.

I plan on going to scrimmage tomorrow.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2014, 07:26 PM
What about Holland?

MsStateBaseball
10-17-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm not worried about him. He either walks or gets a hit. I will have plenty to say after I watch them. Too bad its an all turf field.

raymond21
10-17-2014, 07:53 PM
How many hits did Gentry give up

MsStateBaseball
10-17-2014, 08:01 PM
I think it was two. But don't worry this is first time pitching and hitting in a game so let's wait until a few games. Guys need adjustments.

Todd4State
10-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Brent Rooker and Gavin Collins both hit home runs. Robson stood out as MSBaseball said.

And yes, losing Preston Brown killed us late in the year. He's a good pitcher- my only question is his durability. To me, he's the perfect midweek guy because he has SEC weekend caliber talent, but by throwing him midweek we can spread his starts out. That said, he will no doubt compete for a weekend spot and if healthy will be in the weekend rotation.

Holland has been fine- and let's not forget that we've only had two scrimmages. Not really a lot that can be definitively told based on that.

Todd4State
10-17-2014, 08:21 PM
The scrimmage tomorrow is at Smith-Wills Stadium in Jackson at 4:00. Not sure if they will charge admission.

I like it because it gives the team a chance to practice on turf should we have to do that during the season and it also gives fans in another part of the state a chance to see the team.

I wish the NCAA would allow baseball a chance to play exhibition baseball games so that we could see MSU play Delta State or Belhaven.

State82
10-17-2014, 08:56 PM
The scrimmage tomorrow is at Smith-Wills Stadium in Jackson at 4:00. Not sure if they will charge admission.

It's free but they are asking for donations to the Blair Batson Children's Hospital which the team will be visiting tomorrow. So open your hearts and wallets for a good cause. Kudos to Coach Cohen for making this happen.

KB21
10-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Brent Rooker and Gavin Collins both hit home runs. Robson stood out as MSBaseball said.

And yes, losing Preston Brown killed us late in the year. He's a good pitcher- my only question is his durability. To me, he's the perfect midweek guy because he has SEC weekend caliber talent, but by throwing him midweek we can spread his starts out. That said, he will no doubt compete for a weekend spot and if healthy will be in the weekend rotation.

Holland has been fine- and let's not forget that we've only had two scrimmages. Not really a lot that can be definitively told based on that.

It will be interesting to see how the line up shakes out. The best defensive outfield combo will probably be Cody Brown, Michael Smith, and Jacob Robson, but you have to think at some point Reid Humphreys's and Brent Rooker's bats will need to be in the line up.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2014, 10:00 PM
It will be interesting to see how the line up shakes out. The best defensive outfield combo will probably be Cody Brown, Michael Smith, and Jacob Robson, but you have to think at some point Reid Humphreys's and Brent Rooker's bats will need to be in the line up.

Lets not forget Vickerson too

KB21
10-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Lets not forget Vickerson too

Oh, yeah. I did forget about him. Good problem to have.

Todd4State
10-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Honestly, I don't know what we are going to do. It does sound to me like they want Humphreys bat in the line up everyday though. Smith can play second base. That's good because if by chance Holland disappoints (not looking for that to happen) we can play Heck at SS and Smith at 2B.

msstate7
10-17-2014, 10:09 PM
With all these small, speedy guys, I hope we run like crazy on the bases

MsStateBaseball
10-17-2014, 10:24 PM
You can quote me: we will be a very good club. We might not have a 1st rounder next year like 2013 but I see this team as better than them. I am counting on guys getting better but I think they will. Most talent we've had in the Cohen era.

Todd4State
10-17-2014, 11:20 PM
You can quote me: we will be a very good club. We might not have a 1st rounder next year like 2013 but I see this team as better than them. I am counting on guys getting better but I think they will. Most talent we've had in the Cohen era.

I do think that Dakota Hudson and Gavin Collins have a chance to be first round picks in 2016. Maybe even Reid Humphreys and Austin Sexton depending on how they develop.