PDA

View Full Version : Grade Dak's passing

GreenheadDawg
10-17-2014, 06:05 PM
So far I would give him a B- or B+. It seems like lately, especially against AU, he's been throwing a lot of ducks. His accuracy and arm strength on some throws lately have been lacking. But what he lacks in passing he makes up for with his legs. What say ye?

Coach34
10-17-2014, 06:20 PM
96/156....61.5% and we throw the ball down the field- we dont throw bubble screens...

14 TD's/ 4 Picks

2nd in the SEC in yard per attempt behind Sims
3rd in TD passes on much fewer passes than the 1st and 2nd guys
throws a pick every 39 passes/ Wallace throws one every 30 passes
3rd in the SEC in passer rating

I give him an A-....not much more we could hope for really.

archdog
10-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Top heisman candidate. Straight baller.

GreenheadDawg
10-17-2014, 06:29 PM
I wasn't saying that Dak isn't a good passer or that I was disappointed in his effort so far. Just trying to get a topic going

Coach34
10-17-2014, 06:31 PM
I think Dakota leads the SEC in yards per completion- which is huge

Dawgface
10-17-2014, 06:32 PM
B+.

thf24
10-17-2014, 06:38 PM
I think he was just a little off against Auburn. Solid B including Auburn, A- not including Auburn.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-17-2014, 06:42 PM
I think Dakota leads the SEC in yards per completion- which is huge

Would like to see the YAC stats.

I think he is very good on short and intermediate throws, but is less accurate on the deep throw. Give him a B+ overall.

IMissJack
10-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Maybe Auburn saw all the back shoulder throws against A&M, and adjusted their coverage, and maybe AU has a really good D. Ellis Johnson is a good coach, and they covered tight most of the game.

Political Hack
10-17-2014, 06:57 PM
he's the front runner for the Heisman. If there's anything above A+ that's what he deserves across the board.

LiterallyPolice
10-17-2014, 09:33 PM
I think a lot of people watch Payton Manning and Drew Brees on Sundays and then expect college QB's to have the same production. Dak's passing has been wonderful this year.

Grade: A

defiantdog
10-17-2014, 09:55 PM
96/156....61.5% and we throw the ball down the field- we dont throw bubble screens...

14 TD's/ 4 Picks

2nd in the SEC in yard per attempt behind Sims
3rd in TD passes on much fewer passes than the 1st and 2nd guys
throws a pick every 39 passes/ Wallace throws one every 30 passes
3rd in the SEC in passer rating

I give him an A-....not much more we could hope for really.

Thank you.... I wish more people would understand this. OM throws bubble screens as if it was their run game. Dak is expected to be a running back / pocket passer. The fact he can even throw a ball 20 yards down the field after being knocked in the jaw the play before is amazing. And his throw to Robinson against Auburn was a lot harder than people realize. Robinson is a difficult target to hit downfield, and Dak did it with ease after checking off the safety.

War Machine Dawg
10-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Thank you.... I wish more people would understand this. OM throws bubble screens because it is their run game. Dak is expected to be a running back / pocket passer. The fact he can even throw a ball 20 yards down the field after being knocked in the jaw the play before is amazing. And his throw to Robinson against Auburn was a lot harder than people realize. Robinson is a difficult target to hit downfield, and Dak did it with ease after checking off the safety.

FIFY

FlabLoser
10-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Still feel like I'm in a dream. It's unreal how potent our offense is.

Irondawg
10-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Honestly he's not a great natural passer but he's way better than he was last year. The only real criticism at this point is I think 2-3 of his INT's have been in the end zone and that's something he has to learn to avoid (and he almost had another one against AUB). I know at least two were low underthrows on fades to the back of the end zone.

Our receivers also honestly continue to have some trouble creating separation sometimes, but once again it's much better looking than in the prior years.

We going to win running the football, but our passing game has come far enough that it can be a weapon and take advantage of single coverages.

mstatefan91
10-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Honestly he's not a great natural passer but he's way better than he was last year. The only real criticism at this point is I think 2-3 of his INT's have been in the end zone and that's something he has to learn to avoid (and he almost had another one against AUB). I know at least two were low underthrows on fades to the back of the end zone.

Our receivers also honestly continue to have some trouble creating separation sometimes, but once again it's much better looking than in the prior years.

We going to win running the football, but our passing game has come far enough that it can be a weapon and take advantage of single coverages.

Geez. You make it sound like our passing game is just limping along enough to support our run game.

Not really the case

mstatefan91
10-17-2014, 11:20 PM
1592 passing yards with 1478 coming from Dak (246 avg per game). 16 passing TD's with 14 coming from Dak through 6 games.

1586 yards on the ground with 576 coming from Dak and 689 coming from Josh. 17 TD's on the ground.

Tell me again how we are winning through running?

Looks pretty damn even to me

Todd4State
10-17-2014, 11:24 PM
I'd give him an A. He had a rough game against UAB when he was hurt and then Auburn he wasn't quite as sharp as normal. But that's being pretty nit-picky.

I think Dak is at the point now where all he has to do basically is refine and perfect things in the passing game.

Coach34
10-17-2014, 11:25 PM
In SEC games only:

53/84- 63%....5 TD passes/2 picks....782 yards...260.6 per game...14.75 per completion

MabenMaroon
10-18-2014, 05:46 AM
First quarter throw to RoJo on the sideline around the 50yd. line, long time UF fan in front of me turned back and stated that was a Heisman moment and I would have to agree.
Also, by Dak's own admission, he stated the Auburn game was not one of his better games ( and he still landed SEC O-POW ).

Irondawg
10-18-2014, 07:47 AM
1592 passing yards with 1478 coming from Dak (246 avg per game). 16 passing TD's with 14 coming from Dak through 6 games.

1586 yards on the ground with 576 coming from Dak and 689 coming from Josh. 17 TD's on the ground.

We are winning through running because our excellent run game is what teams are focused in stopping which creates a ton of single coverages. Dak is much improved at finding those pre snap and taking advantage when we call a pass.

I thought the sec network film room videos did a great job of showing this

mstatefan91
10-18-2014, 08:13 AM
We are winning through running because our excellent run game is what teams are focused in stopping which creates a ton of single coverages. Dak is much improved at finding those pre snap and taking advantage when we call a pass.

I thought the sec network film room videos did a great job of showing this

Not all of his throws are reads. Actually a lot of his throws and completions come on straight passing plays. Teams have to respect our ability to both run and pass this season.

There are some plays that are read/run plays. Most are not

AU sold out to stopping the run and getting pressure on Dak. That's why there were more read options in that game than in our previous ones and we still generated a lot of passing yards. Dak can do it both ways. Read or straight pass. He has the intelligence to accomplish both

Coach34
10-18-2014, 09:17 AM

True- but our run to pass selection is 62/38....we use the run to open up the passing for big plays. We are 2nd in the SEC in passing plays over 20 yards. And there is nothing wrong with the run opening up the pass- hell, that is what makes an offense good.

drunkernhelldawg
10-18-2014, 10:38 AM
He's shown tremendous instinct with the ball distribution throughout this season. His timing routes have been a little off. His decision making is more important than the quality of his passes. That's what has to hold up. The offensive line has done a great job of giving him the time to make the right play.