PDA

View Full Version : Player development

dawg21
10-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Much has been said about this in recent weeks, but I wanted to point out a few things.

1. Jamoral Graham has fumbled a punt in 4 games this year (I think). Why does Mullen trot him out there time and time again? Because he is going to FORCE #81 to learn how to return punts. He knows he can do it, he believes he can do it, and soon Graham will get it.
2. Why did Dak not play more last year? Dan sacrificed possible wins to let TR play and our offense to be built around his skills for what? Loyalty. Dan is going to let senior players have more than their fair share of playing time because they've put more into the program. The trust is built and sacrifice is rewarded. This is a sustainable formula. Of course now we will have more dual threat QBs, but the formula will always be there.
3. Many of us get pissed when we play UAB and watch our 2nd and 3rd string in the 1st qtr, but this is exactly what its going to take for players to be developed. Its a reward for their hard work and it puts real pressure on them to perform.

All of this is takes years to see in one single player but each year we are going to have a Jr. or Sr. come out of no-where, like Preston Smith.

Coach34
10-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Much has been said about this in recent weeks, but I wanted to point out a few things.

1. Jamoral Graham has fumbled a punt in 4 games this year (I think). Why does Mullen trot him out there time and time again? Because he is going to FORCE #81 to learn how to return punts. He knows he can do it, he believes he can do it, and soon Graham will get it.
2. Why did Dak not play more last year? Dan sacrificed possible wins to let TR play and our offense to be built around his skills for what? Loyalty. Dan is going to let senior players have more than their fair share of playing time because they've put more into the program. The trust is built and sacrifice is rewarded. This is a sustainable formula. Of course now we will have more dual threat QBs, but the formula will always be there.
3. Many of us get pissed when we play UAB and watch our 2nd and 3rd string in the 1st qtr, but this is exactly what its going to take for players to be developed. Its a reward for their hard work and it puts real pressure on them to perform.

All of this is takes years to see in one single player but each year we are going to have a Jr. or Sr. come out of no-where, like Preston Smith.

1. I personally believe we need to rethink throwing Graham out there. He is talented and going to be very good- but his lack of maturity and experience right now is hurting us. I dont want to lose to Bama or Ole Missus because we fumbled another punt

2. Russell really didnt play that much after getting hurt last year. It really became Dakota's team after that. Russell doesnt make starts if Prescott is healthy. Why did Russell start game 1? Dakota was injured and missed almost all of Spring practice

3. It was crazy to bitch about us playing back-ups in those early games. They were never in doubt.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Graham has fumbled 2 punts this year. 1 against A&M & 1 against Auburn. He's made some bad decisions but he's also has had some good returns as well. I think he'll get better & better as the year goes on. 1 thing about Smokey is he won't lose confidence in himself that's for sure. Kid wants to be back there & he wants the big moments.

dawg21
10-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Why did Perkins get so much more than J-Rob last year then?

thf24
10-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Graham has fumbled 2 punts this year. 1 against A&M & 1 against Auburn. He's made some bad decisions but he's also has had some good returns as well. I think he'll get better & better as the year goes on. 1 thing about Smokey is he won't lose confidence in himself that's for sure. Kid wants to be back there & he wants the big moments.

I agree, although he's really only muffed one. The turnover after trying to field it off the bounce was a simply a rookie mistake that he'll most likely never repeat.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Dan's a great coach, but sometimes great coaches make dumb decisions. See Fake Punt vs AU as Exhibit A.

DudyDawg
10-17-2014, 03:49 PM

J rob was in dans dog house some

Coach34
10-17-2014, 04:38 PM

practice and other non-football issues

archdog
10-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Smokey is a beast. He will get it. Jrob is a beast. No reason to run down any of our players for any reason right now.

BeardoMSU
10-17-2014, 04:57 PM
I love the fact that Dan continues to throw 81 out there; it shows the kid we believe in him. As a true freshman, he could be our PR for 4 years. The experience he's gaining now is great for the future.