PDA

View Full Version : A very long read but some interesting topics covered

starkvegasdawg
10-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Covers the last days of Jack in detail as well as CJ Johnson's recruitment among other things. The part on Jack was pretty sad. After his wife died he left everything as it was, and when they were taking him to the hospital he knew he would never be back home again. Take the time to read it all to catch all the points of interest. CJ was even quoted as saying he hated Ole Miss.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11713984/a-ride-paradise-road-mississippi-state-ole-miss

BeardoMSU
10-17-2014, 11:42 AM
There are some good aspects of the essay, but I just have one question: When the hell did Wright Thompson become a beacon of Mississippi "journalism"? As if now He alone has the task of telling the rest of the country how they should view "us".

It may just be me, but I find the dude extremely pretentious; almost insufferably so.

TXDawg
10-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Another tidbit from CJ in that article:

When asked what first attracted him to Oxford, "The women," he says.

BrunswickDawg
10-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Damn, who chopped up these onions on my desk?

Tbonewannabe
10-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Another tidbit from CJ in that article:

When asked what first attracted him to Oxford, "The women," he says.

He did say he loved the white women at Oxford swallow. It is in the twitterverse somewhere. I noticed he left out the fact that CJ Johnson flipped from MSU to UM at the midnight hour and he is the only one of the Mississippi homerun left at UM.

Lloyd Christmas
10-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Covers the last days of Jack in detail as well as CJ Johnson's recruitment among other things. The part on Jack was pretty sad. After his wife died he left everything as it was, and when they were taking him to the hospital he knew he would never be back home again. Take the time to read it all to catch all the points of interest. CJ was even quoted as saying he hated Ole Miss.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11713984/a-ride-paradise-road-mississippi-state-ole-miss

I agree that Wright Thompson is massively full of himself but there were parts of that article that were very good.

ETA: State and Ole Miss fans are united in the comments section. Don't get me wrong, I hope they lose every game and their success be damned, but f**k every person that has some tired comment about the state from California, Oregon, or f**kin Ohio.

LC Dawg
10-17-2014, 02:13 PM
That was not a bad read but does Wright Thompson know that Mississippi is actually a part of the 21st century? Among other things we are: Building Nissan and Toyotas, building the most technologically advanced ships the Navy has, testing rockets. Someone at UMC has cured AIDS or at least advanced treatment of it. Mississippi State's research department is working on projects that affect the entire world. If you read or watch anything by Wright Thompson you think we all are just waiting for the cotton to grow as we sit in some shitty diner waiting on someone to fry us a bologna sandwich.

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2014, 02:32 PM
I agree LC. This narrative has been used for decades now. Every state/city in the nation has "separation". Why it has to be pointed out about ms over and over. Regardless, time for someone to write an article with a 21st century perspective.

Also, Bills in Amory.....smh. We stopped there a few times back in the day after hunting along the river.. I had no idea it had a dark secret.