PDA

View Full Version : Who knew this about Mullen's contract? I love it

starkvegasdawg
10-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Mullen's university contract also for the first time includes a provision that is now standard at Mississippi State but very rare nationally: He faces action, including possible termination, if the football team's NCAA Academic Performance Rate figure (which measures classroom success and player retention) subjects the team to a postseason ban.

ScoobaDawg
10-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Mullen's university contract also for the first time includes a provision that is now standard at Mississippi State but very rare nationally: He faces action, including possible termination, if the football team's NCAA Academic Performance Rate figure (which measures classroom success and player retention) subjects the team to a postseason ban.

Not questioning you but where did you get this from? link?

starkvegasdawg
10-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Not questioning you but where did you get this from? link?

24/7 linked it from USA Today. Here is the 24/7 link.

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/ExternalLink/Mississippi-State-coach-Dan-*******-new-contract-has-strong-acad-32103425?utm_source=247Sports+Newsletter&utm_campaign=019834f4f8-141017_Mississippi+State+Bulldogs&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5300ae947-019834f4f8-221475717

IMissJack
10-17-2014, 09:37 AM
I've meant to bring up on this board, that it seems our team (knock on wood) seems to have less off field issues, discipline issues, grade issues, etc. than ever before. Is this just how Mullen runs a tight ship, or is it an indication of the qualities that he recruits (intentionally)? I don't think it is a coincidence that high character lends itself to the field also.

ScoobaDawg
10-17-2014, 09:45 AM
I've meant to bring up on this board, that it seems our team (knock on wood) seems to have less off field issues, discipline issues, grade issues, etc. than ever before. Is this just how Mullen runs a tight ship, or is it an indication of the qualities that he recruits (intentionally)? I don't think it is a coincidence that high character lends itself to the field also.

Both. He picks high quality hard working recruits as has been talked about a lot recently and they keep things straight when they get here.

Thanks for the link SVD, just saw it in my email.

shoeless joe
10-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Both.

This is what gets me about some folks screaming the last few years about how Mullen should play one guy over another or one guy should get more carries. Quite a bit of the time it boils down to the fact that the kid isn't gettin it done in class or hasn't matured to the level needed in college so he doesn't play them. In a lot of cases it really is as simple as that. He runs a tight ship, and we are reaping the rewards of that now.

Amazing how folks that are proud of how our players conduct themselves are also the ones pissed about certain guys lack of PT and how Mullen should've been on the hot seat because of it. The parallel isn't that difficult to see

archdog
10-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Both.

This is what gets me about some folks screaming the last few years about how Mullen should play one guy over another or one guy should get more carries. Quite a bit of the time it boils down to the fact that the kid isn't gettin it done in class or hasn't matured to the level needed in college so he doesn't play them. In a lot of cases it really is as simple as that. He runs a tight ship, and we are reaping the rewards of that now.

Amazing how folks that are proud of how our players conduct themselves are also the ones pissed about certain guys lack of PT and how Mullen should've been on the hot seat because of it. The parallel isn't that difficult to see

I am not sure why, but I never considered the possible value our coaches put on school work and how that translates to playing time. If you are doing the bare minimum in the classroom to get qualified, I could see how our coaches would not allow you to get the prime playing time.