PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Strick tried to name the student section?

DistrictDawg92
10-16-2014, 04:18 PM
At the time everyone shat on the idea, and rightfully so, because it felt forced and awkward. Things like this should name themselves, see Death Valley. It's kinda like when a Grandma wants her grandchildren to call her some stupid self proclaimed name, but when the grandchildren are toddlers they have trouble saying the stupid self proclaimed name and just call her their own version of the stupid self proclaimed name, and it sticks.

What I'm getting at is, "The Torture Chamber" sure does have a damn good ring to it.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-16-2014, 04:34 PM
I would like to know what is said to the opposite team as they leave the tunnel

GreaterCowbell
10-16-2014, 04:47 PM
I would like all of DWS to be known as "The Torture Chamber" with the student section being called "Cowbell Hail".

DistrictDawg92
10-16-2014, 05:05 PM
I would like to know what is said to the opposite team as they leave the tunnel

I can tell you that all the bleeps and asterisks in the world would have trouble covering some of the things said to them. What happens in the Torture Chamber stays in the Torture Chamber, except for the occasional Jack and Coke with wings.

Political Hack
10-16-2014, 05:08 PM
nothing will ever top the burial grounds. ever.

Dawgcentral
10-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Trying not to go far off subject, but just had to mention a family member ( distant and by marriage ) that wanted her grandchildren to call her " The Goddess". What a freaky old bitch!

SaltyDawg
10-16-2014, 05:18 PM
"The Torture Chamber" sounds stupid.

jeremyrbrown
10-16-2014, 05:24 PM
I'll throw this out there.... Let's call it the student section.

DudyDawg
10-16-2014, 05:29 PM

Came from a yahoo article, which was actually really good. Better than being self created I guess

SaltyDawg
10-16-2014, 05:34 PM
It still sounds dumb, IMO, regardless of where it came from.

DistrictDawg92
10-16-2014, 05:39 PM
"They welcome you at Mississippi State with a politeness that surpasses earnest and verges on painful. They ask how you're enjoying your stay, if there is anything you need, thanks again for coming. And then those polite Mississippians ditch the Southern hospitality in favor of sadism, transforming their stadium into a torture chamber. Wielding tens of thousands of cowbells like an audio cudgel, they ceaselessly pound upon your eardrums. The high-volume video board functions as a waterboard. Then the fans add one more layer of sound by howling hysterically for four hours.This may be a quiet hamlet near the middle of nowhere most of the time. But on football Saturdays in 2014, with a dream of a team to cheer for, it is an ear-splitting slice of hell for the visiting team." -Pat Forde

Hell of a quote. I can see how Torture Chamber might sound dumb, but with the way Forde puts it it sounds bad ass to me.

DistrictDawg92
10-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Thanks for your opinion SaltyDawg, nice insight there.

RAYn_Man
10-16-2014, 05:55 PM
DistrictDawg92 must have been a Rick's Rowdies.

mcain31
10-16-2014, 05:56 PM
I like "The Torture Chamber." I hope it catches on

DistrictDawg92
10-16-2014, 05:58 PM

Yeah it was hard doubling as a high school student and a college student but I pulled it off.

archdog
10-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Grind House would be better.

SaltyDawg
10-16-2014, 06:09 PM
I read the article, along with probably 95% of this board. It sounded bad ass in the context Forde used it. It sounds stupid everywhere else.

"Verne Lundquist coming at you on this beautiful Saturday night from The Torture Chamber."

Yeah, that sounds really cool.**

Political Hack
10-16-2014, 06:11 PM
I read the article, along with probably 95% of this board. It sounded bad ass in the context Forde used it. It sounds stupid everywhere else.

"Verne Lundquist coming at you on this beautiful Saturday night from The Torture Chamber."

thank you. The Burial Grounds isn't very PC, but it sounds cool without the backstory.

TheRef
10-16-2014, 06:11 PM

I take offense to that, RAYn

SaltyDawg
10-16-2014, 06:12 PM
I take offense to that, RAYn

You 100% should.

Dawgcentral
10-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't "Bell Hell" be a better fit?

Political Hack
10-16-2014, 06:13 PM
or Hail's Bells.

DistrictDawg92
10-16-2014, 06:43 PM
I could see where if it were nicknamed "The Torture Chamber" and we went through another Croomish era and the student participation/attendance went down there would be a lot of room for making fun of the name, "yeah it's like torture having to sit in there to watch a loss every game", etc. But I think for this year it's fitting because other than the UAB game my ears felt tortured for 3-4 days following the game, I don't know if there is a more torturous student section for the opposing team in the country this year.

But seriously if it is ever named my only hope is that it isn't "named", that's when it is corny or stupid. It's just the kind of thing you have to let happen over the years without trying. For instance, everyone loves the cowbells, a tradition that caught on over many years, but I know a lot of people that opposed the Hailstate slogan because it was forced on us immediately.

Skydawg1
10-16-2014, 06:44 PM
The Belfrey.

JDog13
10-16-2014, 06:59 PM
"This is our section" made me chuckle. With the way Mullen has been subbing, we can play off "Dub City" to "Sub City." Home of the 24th Man

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-16-2014, 07:00 PM
GreaterCowbell,
Is that double cowbell custom or can you buy those somewhere? There's only one other place I've ever seen one of those...

LongDuckDawg
10-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Slightly off the subject, but how about a group of sweet things called "Hail's Belles"? (ala the FSU Cowgirls)

LiterallyPolice
10-16-2014, 07:58 PM
If the whole stadium is "The Torture Chamber"' then the student section should be something like "The Cowbell Inquisition"

archdog
10-16-2014, 08:05 PM

deadheaddawg
10-16-2014, 08:08 PM

No, no, no, no.

Hell no. We don't need to steal anyone else's stuff. We are better than that.

DawgHouseUnited
10-17-2014, 08:09 AM
GreaterCowbell,
Is that double cowbell custom or can you buy those somewhere? There's only one other place I've ever seen one of those...

I've seen a couple floating around at the games; dunno if they're purchased or handmade though.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-17-2014, 08:28 AM
GreaterCowbell,

Brewskis used to have them.

CottonDog
10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
I could see where if it were nicknamed "The Torture Chamber" and we went through another Croomish era and the student participation/attendance went down there would be a lot of room for making fun of the name, "yeah it's like torture having to sit in there to watch a loss every game", etc. But I think for this year it's fitting because other than the UAB game my ears felt tortured for 3-4 days following the game, I don't know if there is a more torturous student section for the opposing team in the country this year.

But seriously if it is ever named my only hope is that it isn't "named", that's when it is corny or stupid. It's just the kind of thing you have to let happen over the years without trying. For instance, everyone loves the cowbells, a tradition that caught on over many years, but I know a lot of people that opposed the Hailstate slogan because it was forced on us immediately.

Like the Torture Chamber? That just sounds dumb.

jumbo
10-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Cowbell Hell

starkvegasdawg
10-17-2014, 09:16 AM

How about the dungeon? Would Verne welcoming everybody to the Dungeon appeal to you?