PDA

View Full Version : Premier League Thread: Week 8

TheRef
10-16-2014, 03:13 PM
So as our teams return from the second international week, we come to see the table fairly lined up as many thought it would be save for one or two teams (I'm looking at you Southampton and Everton). But now we have made it to Matchweek 8 of the Barclays Premier League. My Leicester City Foxes currently sit in the 12 spot of the League Table coming into this week. For this week's matchup, the Foxes will travel to Newcastle United for 9 AM kickoff. Newcastle United is currently situated in the last Relegation spot with only 4 points. Leicester, on the other hand, has 9 points.

My prediction? 2-1 Leicester City to go up to 12 points in the table. With Ulloa getting at least one of the goals for LCFC and us giving away a silly goal.

DawgHouseUnited
10-16-2014, 03:34 PM
My team is number one in the nation. Hail State!!!

Oh, and the Saints are sitting in third on the BPL table, next match is at home against Sunderland.
I looked at the table, and the interesting thing I noticed was that QPR is at the bottom- they only have 1 win, while the 2 teams ahead of them have zero wins. Interesting how the points shake out like that.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Newcastle is still winless and sucks. Major problems with the manager and ownership

Liverpooldawg
10-16-2014, 07:38 PM
So why did this get moved here? Liverpool are at Loftus Road to take on QPR. It looks like Sturrage may finally be back. who will play at center back is an open question. I HATE international football.

War Machine Dawg
10-16-2014, 10:25 PM
My Hull City Tigers hit the road to face Arsenal in Week 8. Reverting to the 3-5-2 alignment that Steve Bruce is most comfortable with shored up the D tremendously in Week 7 and resulted in Hull's second win of the season. Hull is solidly in the middle of the table at 11th with 9 points. Should be a good game with Arsenal at 8th on the table.

DawgHouseUnited
10-17-2014, 08:19 AM
So why did this get moved here? Liverpool are at Loftus Road to take on QPR. It looks like Sturrage may finally be back. who will play at center back is an open question. I HATE international football.

I'm guessing someone did it to keep the ED forum more State-focused. After all, we are having an amazing year so far. I haven't even seen any MLB threads there lately.

DudyDawg
10-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Sorry to say ref, but I don't see Leicester traveling to St. James's park and winning this one.

As for Burnley, we sit 19th, and frankly I'm surprised we are that high. Just a small club who lack the money and talent to compete.

As for Real Madrid, we sit in fourth with a game in hand on barca, and CR7 is showing why he's the best player on earth right now.

here are your leaders across Europe

Bundesliga: Bayern lead, and the big surprise is Dortmund all the way down at 13.

Serie A: Juventus lead again, won't be a shock when they win another Scudetto. Too much talent leaving other Italian clubs.

French Ligue 1: surprising Marseille are in the lead, with the Giants psg in third

Tbonewannabe
10-17-2014, 12:00 PM
DudyDawg

I am also a "fan" of Burnley. I have tried to catch any matches on NBC but it is like trying to follow Vandy from Oregon. How much longer do you think they will have Danny Ings? From my research at the beginning of the year it seems they could sell him but lose a chance to stay up. They are more than likely going down anyway.

DudyDawg
10-17-2014, 02:34 PM
In these situations, you usually see a January sale. They will go down, thus loosing toooooooons of money, and selling him not only gets some of that back, but it'll unload a guy to a good team who otherwise would be pouting in the second division. I doubt he stays thru January.

Dawg61
10-18-2014, 01:07 AM
Big match for Spurs this week. Man City. This one I'm recording and watching when I can.

DudyDawg
10-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Ronaldo scored two more today in Real Madrids 5-0 win over levante and now has 15 league goals in eight games

War Machine Dawg
10-18-2014, 01:44 PM
That's crazy, Dudy.

Hull tied Arsenal 2 all today. But that's not even the bad part. Hull lost striker Nikica Jelavic in warm-ups. Tore up a knee, it appears, as he watched the second half on crutches. #1 GK Alan McGregor has been on the injury list, so #2 GK Steve Harper drew his second start today. Unfortunately, he tore a ligament in his left arm in the first half, so Hull played the majority of the game with their #3 GK, who was just recalled earlier this week. Defenseman Michael Dawson also went out in the final 10 minutes with an injury. Not coincidentally, Arsenal hit the equalizer to get level after he left the game.

Going to be interesting seeing how Hull is going to weather the storm with all these major injuries. Hopefully Dawson's injury isn't significant and he won't miss any time. Unfortunately, I think Jelavic is going to miss significant time. Also, Livermore and Huddlestone suck. Wish we could get them out of there, especially Livermore. Hull's injury luck has been horrific so far. First Snodgrass, now Jelavic and Harper with major injuries. McGregor shouldn't be out too long, thankfully. Based on what I've seen lately, this squad would be hell if they were healthy. I just wonder who will play with 3-4 key players all out. We started Hatem Ben Arfa in place of Jelavic today, and I would think he'll be a regular moving forward. I'd like to see Tom Ince get a chance to play, too. We need offensive punch with Jelavic out.

All that said, I'm starting to think Steve Bruce was taught how to coach with a lead by Rick Stansbury. Every time Hull gets ahead, he goes into the soccer equivalent of the Stans Stall. Then we wind up inevitably blowing the lead. Today's Arsenal game is a good example. Abel Hernandez scored the go ahead goal off a nice header in the first minute of the second half. Brucey then tries to play the Stans Stall for the final 45 minutes, barely pushing the ball out of our end of the field. It was awful.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-20-2014, 10:43 AM
French Ligue 1: surprising Marseille are in the lead, with the Giants psg in third
PSG has been missing Ibra big time.

DudyDawg
10-20-2014, 11:07 AM
PSG has been missing Ibra big time.

Yup. They've played well in Europe but seem to be overlooking domestic play. That's what happens when you lose a top guy. Depth is an issue right now.

PSA: the first el Classico of the season is saturday. Real Madrid- those shoulder biting pussies from Catalonia. I'll update time and TV when I see it. Tune in to see the best player in the world play against messi and Barcelona

DawgHouseUnited
10-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Not sure if this is the place for post-game reports or not, but here's mine for Southampton. The Saints stomped on Sunderland, winning 8-0. Sunderland had two own-goals, while we added goals from Pelle (2), Cork, Tadic, Wanyama, and Mane'. With that win, the Saints stay in 3rd on the table behind Chelsea & Man. City. Next game is at home against number 10 Stoke.

Liverpooldawg
10-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Liverpool scratched out a totally bizzare 3-2 win at Loftus Road. Two own goals including one deep in injury time for the winner. Sturridge didn't play. He is out for another month with a different injury.

DudyDawg
10-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Liverpool scratched out a totally bizzare 3-2 win at Loftus Road. Two own goals including one deep in injury time for the winner. Sturridge didn't play. He is out for another month with a different injury.

As a liverpool fan, how do you feel about hosting my real madrid wednesday? No gareth bale, I say still no problem

DudyDawg
10-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Anyone watching these champions league games? Bayern Munich has showed the world how to play. They were insanely good that half. I've never seen anything like it. Im blown away