PDA

View Full Version : Stricklin says Mullen "will have opportunity to be here as long as he wants"

DistrictDawg92
10-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Talty article (http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2014/10/mississippi_state_ad_says_dan.html)

Interesting ballsy quote by Strick, could be taken many ways. Could mean nothing at all, or it could mean some major contract adjustments are in the works.

Lloyd Christmas
10-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Talty article (http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2014/10/mississippi_state_ad_says_dan.html)

Interesting ballsy quote by Strick, could be taken many ways. Could mean nothing at all, or it could mean some major contract adjustments are in the works.

To me, I see this going one of two ways:

1. Dan wins it all, we have absolutely NOTHING to worry about.
2. Dan finishes something like 11-2 without an SEC title - we have a little more to worry about, but still a good chance of keeping him.

DistrictDawg92
10-16-2014, 03:40 PM
To me, I see this going one of two ways:

1. Dan wins it all, we have absolutely NOTHING to worry about.
2. Dan finishes something like 11-2 without an SEC title - we have a little more to worry about, but still a good chance of keeping him.

I may be looking at this from the maroon side of things, but why would Dan want to leave???

1. He "has the opportunity to stay here as long as he wants". Talk about hella good job security.
2. He has the opportunity for his young children to live a normal life and grow up in the same place with the same friends.
3. He has the opportunity to go down as the most legendary man to ever be a part of Mississippi State athletics, statue included.
4. He has already built relationships with families and coaches all over the state of Mississippi and surrounding states.
5. And on top of all this he will be making millions a year, with his salary only growing the longer he stays.

The only valid answer to the question 'why would he leave' is so that he could compete for national championships. Butttttt, that isn't valid anymore because we are the unanimous #1 team in the nation coming off of 3 consecutive wins against top 10 teams. The people around the country who think he wants to leave are naive in the same way that they thought we didn't have a chance against LSU, A&M, or Auburn. It's called look at the facts before you barf out some bullshit opinion based statement.

DawgInMemphis
10-16-2014, 04:09 PM
I may be looking at this from the maroon side of things, but why would Dan want to leave???

1. He "has the opportunity to stay here as long as he wants". Talk about hella good job security.
2. He has the opportunity for his young children to live a normal life and grow up in the same place with the same friends.
3. He has the opportunity to go down as the most legendary man to ever be a part of Mississippi State athletics, statue included.
4. He has already built relationships with families and coaches all over the state of Mississippi and surrounding states.
5. And on top of all this he will be making millions a year, with his salary only growing the longer he stays.

The only valid answer to the question 'why would he leave' is so that he could compete for national championships. Butttttt, that isn't valid anymore because we are the unanimous #1 team in the nation coming off of 3 consecutive wins against top 10 teams. The people around the country who think he wants to leave are naive in the same way that they thought we didn't have a chance against LSU, A&M, or Auburn. It's called look at the facts before you barf out some bullshit opinion based statement.

I think the argument that people will make is that it's potentially easier to win championships at the traditional blue blood schools, and that this isn't sustainable for State. I disagree in large part with both of those notions. He has proven this year that you can compete for championships at MSU. Making the leap to SECW contender is more difficult that staying in the SECW conversation year in and out because success breeds success. The longer we stay in that conversation the easier it will be to sustain. The methodology that our coaching staff has gone through to get us here - recruiting guys with the most potential, redshirting, building depth through player development, etc. - is absolutely sustainable. The state of MS has PLENTY of high level D1 talent to go around - especially when you start winning battles with the out of state schools for in state guys. Throw in guys from LA, TX, TN, AL, and GA and you have enough guys to put a product on the field that can compete for the SECW. Dan will be successful here as long as he stays if he and the staff continue to put forth the effort they have up to this point. That doesn't guarantee that we'll win 10+ games a year, but it does guarantee that we're capable of it.

Dawgcentral
10-16-2014, 06:07 PM
It's pretty clear to me that there are quite a few hard working athletes that want to play for MSU.

It's also clear that talented QBs that are a dual threat and become the top in their field would be foolish to ignore the opportunity that Dan Mullen and MSU can provide. Want a shot at the Heisman? Play for Dan Mullen.

The facilities are comparable to anyone's in the nation. And growing.

The $ for Dan is competitive. He has every opportunity to make MSU a national power. It's the SEC west. Win 10 games here and it's the same as winning 12 at Florida.

Lifestyle points go to MSU. I've been to Gainsville. There's no ocean front property there.

Johnson85
10-16-2014, 06:07 PM

Dan won't want to leave this year even if it's his goal to leave eventually (which I don't think it is). He will potentially have another special team next year. No way somebody that competitive is going to walk away from a team returning what we're returning. No guarantee he will ever build a team like this again and he's not going to walk away from it. If he wants to leave, he will have just as many if not more opportunities after next year. If Dak makes it clear he's going pro and Dan doesn't think any of the other qb's will be ready, maybe he would look at a good opportunity, but that's assuming he just wants to leave. He'd still haev to walk away from a team that's got the groundwork laid to be top 15 for the next two to three years, even if losing Dak meant it likely wouldn't be a team that could compete for the national championship.

Reason2succeed
10-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Because of the profession that I work in I can tell you that a very important selling point to a leader like Dan Mullen is the ability to call the shots. At Florida and Michigan the fans and high rolling alumnus are constantly criticizing, critiquing, and complaining about the head coach. Mullen has only been judged by on field performance at State.

basedog
10-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Msu can compete for a championships because we have the resources now! Like Dawgcentral stated about our facilities being comparable, it is a big deal to athletes! We can pay money for coaches and another big plus is we have room to grow and expand! Dan sees the big picture and I really believe Meg loves Msu, after all she moved her parents to Stark Vegas.

I don't think Dan is concerned right now about anything except winning right now, he really has the team focused as you can see how much he is tuned in to what is going on all around our program!

KB21
10-17-2014, 10:04 AM
IMO, this means Scott is going to give Dan a blank check and have him fill in the numbers.

RougeDawg
10-17-2014, 12:01 PM
I spoke to Strick and Keenum during and after A&M game about this. Both of them assured me that Dam would only leave if he wants to leave. It will not be an issue of we couldn't match someone else dollar for dollar or we didn't invest in said facility improvements. They have the "arrangements" in place for Dan to retire in Starkville if Dan wants to.