PDA

View Full Version : SEC film room with Dak Prescott

cheewgumm
10-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Just made me more confident we" re going to win a Few more.

Dak seemed to have a good handle on things. Impressive to me . Maybe not to some of you coaches, but to a layman that was cool.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Here is Mullen's portion for those who couldn't watch it: http://www.secsports.com/video/11709152/film-room-dan-mullen

Here is Dak's portion: http://www.secsports.com/video/11707892/dak-prescott-visits-sec-film-room

Personally, these two videos give me a boner for how well coached we are, and the football IQ of our QB

mstatefan91
10-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Here is Mullen's portion for those who couldn't watch it: http://www.secsports.com/video/11709152/film-room-dan-mullen

Here is Dak's portion: http://www.secsports.com/video/11707892/dak-prescott-visits-sec-film-room

Thanks shotgun!

mstatefan91
10-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Ok this may sound ridiculous, but after watching that short little special, I trust Dak even more. He has it between the ears. Wow

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Ok this may sound ridiculous, but after watching that short little special, I trust Dak even more. He has it between the ears. Wow

Whenever you get nervous about an MSU football game this year, just pull up a Dak interview on Youtube. It doesn't even matter which interview you watch, but it will calm you and give you confidence about the game. The way he composes himself, speaks, and massive amount of self awareness he possesses, makes you realize very quickly that we aren't likely to lose the game.

To me, his brain, composure, and instincts are his best assets.

Sure, he has a good arm, a quick release, and can run over people, but, if I was an NFL GM, his brain is what would be most attractive to me. I can absolutely see Prescott developing into a film junkie at the next level that learns to shred defenses and could handle being the face and leader of a franchise. He just has the makeup, intelligence, aptitude, and work habits to do it.

Many people compare him to Tebow with a better arm, but I think Dak's makeup transfers better to the NFL. Tebow was a tough, brute, rah-rah guy that tried to win games on effort and intensity. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but Dak has real football intelligence and feel for the passing game to develop into a guy that can systematically breakdown defenses. He's got a ways to go before getting there, but it just seems like the ingrediants are there for it to be attainable

I seen it dawg
10-16-2014, 06:06 AM
Russell Wilson comes to mind

sbcmortgageman
10-16-2014, 06:28 AM
It's insane how much knowledge he has. I don't want this to sound bad, but Tyler getting hurt and Dak playing so much last year is why we are where we are today.

Churchill
10-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Dak`s greatness actually makes me a little nervous about the program as a whole. I don`t know where we would/will be without him. Dan and our university are getting a hell of a lot of great pub out of this run (along with Dak) but the fact of the matter is without him I`m afraid this season would look totally different.

lefty96
10-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Dak`s greatness actually makes me a little nervous about the program as a whole. I don`t know where we would/will be without him. Dan and our university are getting a hell of a lot of great pub out of this run (along with Dak) but the fact of the matter is without him I`m afraid this season would look totally different.

You could say that about any Heisman candidate at QB - does florida win w/o Tebow? How about Newton at Auburn?

TrapGame
10-16-2014, 07:44 AM
You could say that about any Heisman candidate at QB - does florida win w/o Tebow? How about Newton at Auburn?

Or Manziel his Heisman year?

That was a 7-5 team w/o Johnny Football.

godlluB
10-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Yeah, but he IS here. Enjoy the moment.

Political Hack
10-16-2014, 08:40 AM

that's sort of the thing with Heisman candidates... they're pretty valuable.

look at A&M without Johnny Football this year. Everyone thought they were good. They're just another middle of the pack sec school right now without him.

FlabLoser
10-16-2014, 08:57 AM
I think Dak's leadership and smarts are his greatest assets. Its one thing to have a great QB, but a great leader lifts the rest of the team.

Tebow had been pitching that idea. Dak is a guy the team rallys around and together they believe they can beat anybody. And there's the added bonus that Dak is the perfect QB for Dan's system.

We've got lightning in a bottle right now.

Dawgtini
10-16-2014, 11:37 AM
I disagree. Your implication is that it is some how "magical" that it all works out. I am of the opinion that we are seeing the result of great player evaluation, superior coaching, and the drive and will necessary to implement the plan that Mullen and staff have been working toward.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2014, 11:49 AM

I disagree as well.

Dak is outstanding, but Dan has coached Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, and now Dak.

When you do things once, it's random, twice and it's a coincidence, but 3 times and it's a trend.

The truth is that as long as our offense has a QB that is a threat to run the football and pass, Mullen's offense is schematically built to succeed.

Does that mean we will have Dak every year? Of course not because Dak is special, but I do believe that since Mullen has now recruited all duel threat QBs, we have a chance to continue to be a good team year in and year out. Recruiting is also improving, so the weapons and personnel surrounding our QB will be more talented as well.

FlabLoser
10-16-2014, 11:51 AM
We've had great athletes that weren't great leaders. We've had leaders that weren't great athletes. We've had great defenses with bad offenses. We've had great offens...wait never mind that one.

We've finally got all the pieces in place. That's all I'm saying.

Tbonewannabe
10-16-2014, 12:12 PM
I disagree as well.

Dak is outstanding, but Dan has coached Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, and now Dak.

When you do things once, it's random, twice and it's a coincidence, but 3 times and it's a trend.

The truth is that as long as our offense has a QB that is a threat to run the football and pass, Mullen's offense is schematically built to succeed.

Does that mean we will have Dak every year? Of course not because Dak is special, but I do believe that since Mullen has now recruited all duel threat QBs, we have a chance to continue to be a good team year in and year out. Recruiting is also improving, so the weapons and personnel surrounding our QB will be more talented as well.

Dak has Heisman ability and Heisman intangibles. QBs with that kind of ability only come around every so often. However, I believe we will have a top 3-5 QB in the SEC for the next several years. We are finally reaping what Dan has been sowing with his program set up on development.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Dak has Heisman ability and Heisman intangibles. QBs with that kind of ability only come around every so often. However, I believe we will have a top 3-5 QB in the SEC for the next several years. We are finally reaping what Dan has been sowing with his program set up on development.

Agree, Mullen developed Chris Relf for goodness sakes. We have at least two QBs on campus right now that are more talented than Relf, and 2 QBs committed that are more talented. Mullen can coach and develop QBs. Throw that in with recruiting getting better, and I think we have a chance to be pretty good for a while. Possibly not NC caliber, but, other than Bama, which team is NC caliber every year?

Dak is certainly special, but, with an improving overall talent level, and maturity in the program, I don't believe we need a Dak type player to be a quality team. He certainly takes us to the next level though.

Political Hack
10-16-2014, 01:20 PM
we've been able simplify looks for Dak presnap because he's a running threat. teams have to align differently for that and they show blitzes, man vs zone, Mike and S positions much earlier than they would normally have to.

What really impressed me was him picking up the outside blitz and saying "he's obviously blitzing," which meant he's got a 1 on 1 post with Bear. He had to trust his presnap read on who's coming, that his OL would be able to pick up that and the stunt long enough for the route to develop, and be able to trust bear to win a 1 on 1 battle... and then had to stand in the pocket and take a shot straight through the A gap. The kid is smart, gutsy, and a leader.

Dawgtini
10-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Agreed. This was something else that I loved from the Pat Forde article and it reinforces just what you are saying - "There isn't an ounce of fluke in what the Bulldogs are doing in Mullen's sixth season. They're one of five teams in AP poll history to defeat three straight top-10 opponents – first LSU, then Texas A&M, now Auburn. In those three games, Mississippi State has trailed for a total of 2 minutes, 49 seconds. It has led by double digits for roughly 125 of 180 minutes." Dan's offense and philosophy will continue to be successful. The level of success will depend on the ability of our quarterback and other skill players. He will continue to recruit guys that fit his "system" and develop them to maximize their abilities. This is no fluke.

I seen it dawg
10-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Dat boy good

TaleofTwoDogs
10-16-2014, 03:54 PM
No disrespect to Coach Mullen, but what about Coach Johnson? Dak has elevated his game since Johnson has been coaching the QBs. A head coach is only has good as his assistants and I think we have the right experience, attitude and knowledge in this year's group of assistants to take this thing to the playoffs.

FlabLoser
10-16-2014, 10:49 PM
When Auburn stuffed the jump pass, Mullen said "They weren't gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe". LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8

IMissJack
10-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Who hired Johnson?